Was there ever realism? On the periodisation of Western European literature
This article revisits the traditional perspective on realism as a prevalent trend in the European literature at the end of the 19th century. The author examines the perception of the concept of realism at the end of the 18th century (Friedrich Schiller) and in the 1850s (Champfleury and Duranty). It is ...
Time in N. O. Lossky’s ideal realism
This article discusses the ontological and epistemological aspects of the interpretation of time in N. O. Lossky’s ideal realism. It is stressed that time is a form of events initiated by substantial actors in the process of world creation. The author analyses the qualitative and quantitative characteristics of time. The features of synchronous and asynchronous aspects ...
Kant’s appearance as an objective-objectual [gegenständlich] representation
... epistemological status. Appearance can be correlated with objective (objective-objectual ‘gegenstänslich’) representation. It would be unwise to identify appearance with thing-in-itself, which was characteristic of pre- Kantian philosophy (naïve realism), or appearance with representation, which was the case in phenomenalist interpretations of transcendentalism à la Berkley (interpretation of two objects). Kant’s appearance, as emphasised in BXXVII of his Critique, is an appearance of an object ...
Schliesslich will man ja Kunst schaffen. Daniel Kehlmanns humoristische Poetik («Finally, there is a need to create art»: Daniel Kehlmann’s humoristic poetics)
... ‘ironic’ and thus put on a par with works following Friedrich Schlegel’s tradition of Romanticism. It would be more accurate to speak of ‘humour’ in the context of Schopenhauer’s philosophy of pessimism characteristic of the 19th century poetic realism. The central element is not nurturing ennui resulting from awareness of the con-trast between the ideal and reality, but rather cheerful disposition (consola-tion) in the face of reality.
Kehlmann’s world-famous novel Measuring the World should ...
Analytical Kant studies, transcendental idealism, and the thing in itself
... some key points of Kant’s theory of knowledge. Contrary to the analytical mainstream in Kant studies, the author argues that Kant’s ‘transcendental idealism’ in the field of the theoretical reason is completely compatible with epistemological realism. Hence, the term ‘thing in itself’ expresses neither ontological nor epistemological dualism. Rather it has a methodological function and it serves to indicate the possibility of different forms of discourses — religious, ethical, etc. The ...
Analytic philosophy, its history, and Kant
... philosophy. N.Y., 1949.
17. Preston A. The implications of recent work in the history of analytic philosophy // Bertrand Russell Society Quarterly. 2005. № 125.
18. Price H. H. Hume’s theory of the external world. Oxford, 1940.
19. Putnam H. Realism with a human face. Cambridge, 1990.
20. Rorty R. Philosophy and the mirror of nature. Princeton, 1979.
21. Ryle G. Taking sides in philosophy // Collected Essays. L., 1971. Vol. 2. P. 153—169.
22. Searle J. Contemporary philosophy in the ...
Kant’s transcendentalism and concept of the thing in itself
... Kant’s problem of causality. The thing in itself serves as the referent of the phenomenon, whereas the noumenal thing-in-itself (or the ‘negative noumenon) serves as its meaning (Frege’s semiotic triangle).
1. Abela, P. 2002, Kant’s Empirical Realism, Oxford: Clarendon Press.
2. Adams, R. 1997, Things in Themselves, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, vol. 57, № 4 (Dec., 1997), p. 801—825.
3. Adickes, E. 1924 Kant und das Ding an sich, Berlin: Pan Verlag.
4. Aquila, R. 1979, Things ...
Kant and the contemporary theory of international relations
... of Kantian political philosophy for the theory of international relations. The answer is giving through the examination of the main trends in the interpretation of Kant's place in one of the major paradigms of the theory of international relations: realism, idealism, liberalism, and institutionalism. Author shows that Kant’s inclusion in a particular paradigm of international relations cannot be directly done. Otherwise, inevitably it comes to distortion and incorrect interpretation of the texts ...
Edmund Husserl’s phenomenology and a cognitive-semantic interpretation of Kant’s transcendentalism
... in phenomenology of Edmund Husserl]. In: Istoriya philosophii: istoriya ili philosophiya? [History of philosophy: history or philosophy?], Moscow,
, pp. 149—157.
12. Abela, P. 2002, Kant’s Empirical Realism, Oxford, Clarendon Press.
13. Allais, L. 2015, Manifest Reality: Kant’s Idealism and his Realism, Oxford University Press Uk.
14. Bernet, R. 1990, Huserls Begriff des Noema. In: Husserl-Ausgabe und Husserl-Forschung, Dorbrecht, S. 61—80.
Kant on Human Dignity: Autonomy, Humanity, and Human Rights
... of Rights? European Journal of Philosophy, 20(3), pp. 460-469.
Sangiovanni, A., 2017. Humanity Without Dignity: Moral Equality, Respect, and Human Rights. Cambridge & MA: Harvard University Press.
Schmidt, E. E., Schönecker, D., 2017. Kant’s Moral Realism regarding Dignity and Value: Some Comments on the Tugendlehre. In: R. dos Santos, E. E. Schmidt, eds. 2017. Realism and Antirealism in Kant’s Moral Philosophy: New Essays. Berlin: De Gruyter, pp. 119-152.
Schneewind, J., 1996. Kant and Stoic ...
A. P. Chekhov and S. Daneshvar: On the problem of influence
... Тегеран, 2008. С. 205—206.
. Враги. Тегеран, 1973.
. Словарь: в 6 т. Тегеран, 1998. Т. 1.
Yahyapour M., Karimi-Motahhar J., Esmaeili S.
Chekhov, Daneshvar, influence, realism, short story
A transcendental analysis of mathematics: The abstract nature of mathematical knowledge
... Philosophical Review. 1965. Vol. 74, № 1.
27. Beth E. Mathematical Thought. Dordrecht, 1965.
28. Burgess J., Rosen G. Subject with No Object. Oxford, 1999.
29. Field H. Science without Numbers: a Defense of Nominalism. Oxford, 1980.
30. Field H. Realism, Mathematics and Modality. Oxford, 1989.
31. Frege G. Uber Sinn und Bedeutung // Zeitschrift fur Philosophie und philosophische Kritik. Leipzig, 1892.
32. Hanna R. Kant and the Foundations of Analytic Philosophy. Oxford, 2001.
33. Hanna R. ...
Russian Philosophy Abroad: Development of Conceptual Framework
Непрочитанное... Статьи, письма, воспоминания. М., 2001.
Russian philosophy abroad, conceptual framework, personalism, philosophy of all-unity, sophiology, idealistic realism.
Kant und Berkeley: Ähnlichkeit oder Unterschiedlichkeit?
10. Turbayne C. M. Kant,s Relation to Berkeley // Kant-Studies Today, hg. v. L. W. Beck. LaSalle, 1969.
11. Warda A. Immanuel Kants Bücher. Berlin, 1922.
transcendental idealism, formal idealism, material idealism, immaterialism, empirical realism
Wassilieva M. J.
Actor-based network theory in the context of ideology and political ontology
... Логос. 2017. № 3. С. 1—34.
7. Althusser L. On The Reproduction Of Capitalism: Ideology And Ideological State Apparatuses. Verso, 2014.
8. Gramsci and Marxist Theory / ed. Ch. Mouffe. Routledge & Kegan Paiul, 1979.
9. Gratton P. Speculative Realism: Problems and Prospects. Bloomsbury, 2014.
10. Harman G. Bruno Latour: Reassembling the Political. Pluto Press, 2014.
11. Harvey I. The Rhetoric of Esotericism: The Challenge to Deconstruction // in Law and Semiotics / ed. R. Kevelson. Plenum ...
Karamzin 's code in the novel by V. V. Sipovsky "The Journey of Erast Krutolobov"
... key-figure for the Russian literature of the XVIII and XIX centuries. According to Sipovsky, Karamzin managed to combine different, sometimes opposing, literary trends. Sipovsky’s parodical novel illustrates the impact of literary struggle of idealism and realism of early XIXth century onto the public life and the role of Karamzin’s sentimentalism in the history of Russian literature.
1. Веселова А. Ю. Роман В. Новодворского (В. В. Сиповского) «Путешествие ...
Kant versus Vladimir Solovyov: gnosiology with reflection and without it
... Соловьёва. Т. 2. М., 1913.
18. Эрн В. Ф. Гносеология В. С. Соловьёва // Сборник статей о В. Соловьёве. Брюссель, 1994. С. 167—264.
19. Westphal K. Kant's Transcendental Proof of Realism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
Kant, Solovyov, reflection, transcendental reflection, self-consciousness, intuition, integral knowledge, truth, reasoning, cognition
Balanovsky V. V.
The liberal concept of freedom in the conservative teachings of K. N. Leontyev and L. A. Tikhomirov
... phenomena. It is shown that Leontyev, in line with naturalistic aestheticism, sharply criticises the philistine ideal triumphing through the implementation of the liberal interpretation of freedom. Tikhomirov, under the influence of political philosophical realism, focuses on analysing the theory and practice of the liberal democratic mechanism. The author pays special attention to the personalist/impersonalist elements in Leontyev’s and Tikhomirov’s argumentation. The correlation between monarchical ...
Kant, Radical Agnosticism, and Methodological Eliminativism about Things-in-Themselves
... Volume 1. N. Y.
10. Russell, B. 1959, My Philosophical Development. London.
11. Russell, B. 1996, Principles of Mathematics. 2nd ed. N. Y.
Kant, metaphysics, epistemology, transcendental idealism, things in themselves, radical agnosticism, manifest realism
Hanna R. (Translated from English by M.E. Soboleva)
Lessing’s Hamburg Dramaturgy in the “codes of hope” discourse of the Enlightenment
... the “compassion” and “fear” existentials underlying his theory of catharsis. In Lessing’s system, these “vertically” positioned psychological states prove to be bridges to nature, in which he seeks the truth. It explains his theory of realism in Hamburg Dramaturgy, which differs radically from Kant’s philosophy.Lessing’s theory of art is characterized by aesthetic hope for the sensible ability of people to unite in moral intersubjectivity through existential purification in the ...
On Hartmann’s transcendental realism
This text is a compilation of fragments from A. I. Ognev’s 1910 PhD thesis, which was awarded a gold medal. The personal archive of Father Savva (Mikhalevich) held two versions of the thesis – the hand-written (132 pages) and typed (141 pages) ones; the latter contains the author’s corrections. Some pages of the manuscript are missing. The front page of the typed version has L.M. Lopatin’s inscription: “The work of A.I. Ognev is most satisfactory. Professor Lev Lopatin”. The text is published according...
Report of the ‘Transcendental Turn in Contemporary Philosophy 2’ International Seminar (Moscow, 27—29 April 2017)
Howell, R. 2017, Analytic Work on Kant — Idealism, Things-in-themselves, and the Object of Knowledge, in: Kantovsky sbornik [Kantian Journal], vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 31—50. (In Russ.)
Jacobi, F. H. 1994, David Hume on Faith or Idealism and Realism. A Dialogue. [Supplement. On Transcendental Idealism], in: The Main Philosophical Writings and the Novel Allwill, transl. by G. di Giovanni. Montreal, Kingston, London, Buffalo, pp. 253—338.
Katrechko, S. L. 2018, Report of the “Transcendental ...
Ideas of Kant’s theoretical philosophy in Peirce’s graph theory
.... He reduced the number of categories, changed their content, and transformed analytic and synthetic judgements into ampliative and explicative reasoning. Kant helped Peirce to overcome the doctrine of nominalism and develop the doctrine of critical realism. This paper addresses the existential graph theory, which is scrutinised from the perspective of transformations of Kant’s ideas. The graph theory was chosen, firstly, because of its chronological significance — it is the last logical theory ...
Modern Lithuanian foreign policy: the adjustment of traditional policy
... apply an additional theoretical framework to studies into the foreign policy initiatives of the Republic of Lithuania in the international arena. While earlier they were determined by the value (democratic approach), which was a reflection of American realism, today an increasingly important factor is the personality of the president, who does not always positively influence the changing policy of the country. The results of the research contribute substantially to the understanding of foreign policy ...
Constitutional reforms and stability of the Сonstitution: balance finding problems
... P. 1—20.
26. Strauss D. A. The Living Constitution. Oxford ; N. Y., 2010.
27. Rehnquist W. H. The Notion of a Living Constitution // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy. 2006. Vol. 29, № 2. P. 401—415.
28. Parks G. S. Noward a Critical Race Realism // Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy. 2008. Vol. 17. P. 682—745.
29. Берлявский Л. Г. Теории конституционной интерпретации в США // Конституционное и муниципальное ...
Kant and new mathematics 100 years later
... Osnovy obschego utchenija o mnogoobrazijakh [Foundations of a General Theory of Manifolds] // Trudy po teorii mnozhestv [Works in Set theory], Moscow, р. 63—106.4. Rodin A., 2015, Programnyi realizm v fisike i osnovanija matematiki [Programmatic Realism in Physics and foundations of Mathematics] // Voprosy Filosofii [Questions in Philosophy]. 2015, № 4—5 (in print).5. Rodin A., 2010, Teorija kategorii i poisk novykh matematicheskikh osnovanii fisiki [Category Theory and the Quest for New ...
Deduction of Freedom vs Deduction of Experience in Kant’s Metaphysics
..., deduction in the theoretical sphere forbids speculative reason to go beyond experience. Practical deduction has pointed to the intelligible world and has proved its “legitimacy”.
Allais, L., 2015. Manifest Reality. Kant’s Idealism and His Realism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Allison, H., 2015. Kant’s Transcendental Deduction. An Analytical-Historical Commentary. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Allison, H., 1983. Kant’s Transcendental Idealism. An Interpretation and Defence. New ...
Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
... viewed as a product of external factors, and those that focus on internal regional factors. In this article, the authors rely on a variety of methods, including those that are characteristic of classical theories of international relations (such as realism and liberalism), and those employed in social constructivism studies. It is concluded that Latvian cooperation with institutions and countries of the territorial system of European security is rather limited, which indicates either a lack of the ...
History in Transcription and Transcription as History: Charles Bally in Soviet Linguistics
... Gofman, V. A., 1936. Yazyk literatury: Ocherki i etyudy [Language of the literature: Essays and etudes]. Leningrad.
17. Gukovskii, G. A., 1946. Ocherki po istorii russkogo realizma. Ch. 1: Pushkin i russkie romantiki [Essays on the history of Russian realism. Part 1: Pushkin and the russian romantics]. Saratov.
18. Danilov, G. K., 1928. On the question of marxist linguistics. Literatura i marksizm [Literature and marxism], 6, pp. 115—137.
19. Danilov, G. K., 1929. The marxist method in lexicology....
Types of Representational Content in Kant
... Was Kant a Non-Conceptualist? Philosophical Studies, 137(1), pp. 65-77.
Golob, S., 2014. Kant on Intentionality, Magnitude, and the Unity of Perception. European Journal of Philosophy, 22(4), pp. 505-528.
Gomes, A., 2014. Kant on Perception: Naïve Realism, Non-Conceptualism and the B-Deduction. Philosophical Quarterly, 64(254), pp. 1-19.
Griffith, A. M., 2012. Perception and the Categories: A Conceptualist Reading of Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason. European Journal of Philosophy, 20(2), pp. 193-222....