Rationality in liberal philosophical theories
This article suggests that rationality has to be treated as one of the basic categories of liberal philosophy. Together with freedom and equality, rationality lies at the anthropological core of liberalism, which makes it stand out among other political theories. The development of the main models of rationality relied upon by various liberal theories is reviewed.
1. Вебер М. О некоторых категориях понимающей социологии // Избранные произведения. М., 1990.
2. Кант И. Метафизика ...
OPOIAZ and Bakhtin: the Decision Science’s perspective
... Héloïse: Lettres de deux amans, Habitans d'une petite ville au pied des Alpes. Amsterdam: Marc-Michel Rey.
Schmitt, C., 2005. Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignity. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Simons, H., 1990. Invariants ... ... N., 1926. Science and the Modern World. New York: Macmillan.
Decision theory, poetics, instrumental, bounded, interactive rationality, Shklovky, Tynianov, Bakhtin
Anthropological foundations of John Rawls' political theory
... Ross W. D. Foundations of Ethics. Oxford, 1939.
12. Turner T. Anthropology and Multiculturalism: What is Anthropology That Multiculturalism Should be Mindful of It? // Cultural Anthropology, Vol. 8, is. 4, 1993. P. 411—429.
13. Zöller G. Kant’s Political Anthropology / Kant Yearbook. De Gruyter, 2010.
anthropological model, “justice as fairness“, rationality, individualism, “life plan“, Rawls, Kant, Aristotle
The Role of the Sublime in Kant’s Religion: Moral Motivation and Empirical Possibility
Taylor, R. S., 2010. Kant’s Political Religion: The Transparency of Perpetual Peace and the Highest Good. Review of Politics, 72(1), pp. 1-24.
Van Fraasen, B., 1984. Belief and the Will. Journal of Philosophy, 81(5), pp. 235-256.
Van Inwagen,... ... Anyone, to Believe Anything upon Insufficient Evidence. In: J. Jordan and D. L. Howard-Snyder, eds. 1996. Faith, Freedom and Rationality. Lanham and London: Rowman & Littlefield, pp. 137-153.
Ward, K., 1972. The Development of Kant’s View of Ethics....
Anthropological foundations of John Rawls' political theory
... Ross W. D. Foundations of Ethics. Oxford, 1939.
11. Turner T. Anthropology and Multiculturalism: What is Anthropology That Multiculturalism Should be Mindful of It? // Cultural Anthropology. 1993. Vol. 8, Is. 4.Р. 411—429.
12. Zöller G. Kant’s Political Anthropology // Kant Yearbook. De Gruyter, 2010.
anthropological model, «justice as fairness», rationality, individualism, «life plan»,
Rawls, Kant, Aristotle.
Chaly V. A.
Wittgenstein’s followers vs Habermas: A solution to I. Berlin’s dilemma
... Personality and Polity. Oxford, 1989.
9. Pettit P. The Common Mind: An Essay on Psychology, Society and Politics. N. Y., 1996.
10. Pettit P. Republicanism: A Theory of Freedom and Government. Oxford, 1997.
Granovskaya O. L.
history of 20th century political philosophy, value pluralism, social rationality, communicative rationality, I. Berlin, L. Wittgenstein, J. Habermas
Kantian ethos in J. Rawls’s political philosophy
... of moral philosophy is the rational defense of reasonable faith. The main differences between Kant’s and Rawls’s include the understanding of practical reason; the concept of a person based on fundamental ideas originating from different sources (political culture in Rawls’s works and transcendental idealism in Kant’s); the understanding of rational faith.
1. Кант И. Основы метафизики нравственности. URL: www.royallib.com/book/ kant_i/osnovi_metafiziki_nravstvennosti. html (дата обращения: 10.04.2015a).
2. Кант И. Ответ на вопрос: ...
Kant between liberalism and conservatism
... Thought of Immanuel Kant and Edmund Burke // The Journal of Religious Ethics. Vol. 36, № 3, Sep. 2008.
10. Louden, R. Kant's Human Being: Essays on His Theory of Human Nature. Oxford University Press, 2011.
11. Louden, R. Kant's Impure Ethics. From Rational Beings to Human Beings. Oxford University Press, 2000.
12. Seebom, Th. Kant’s Theory of Revolution // Social Research. Vol. 48, № 3 (Autumn, 1981). Р. 557—587.
liberalism, conservatism, political anthropology, Kant's «practical anthropology».
[html]1. Kant, I. Sochineniya v 6 tomah [Works in 6 volumes]. Moscow, 1963—66.2. Klemme, H. 2010, Ponyatie antropologii v philosophii Kanta. [The ...
John Rawls’ interpretation of categorical imperative in “Theory of Justice”
... imperative: a study in Kant’s moral philosophy. London, 1947.
8. Rawls J. A theory of justice. Revised edition. Harvard University Press, 1999.
9. Rawls J. Lectures on the history of moral philosophy. Harvard University Press, 2000.
10. Rawls J. Political Liberalism. Columbia University Press, 1993.
11. Rawls J. Themes in Kant’s Moral Philosophy / Kant’s Transcendentаl Deductions. Stanford University Press, 1989.
categorical imperative, theory of justice as fairness, rationality, reasonableness, universalism, Immanuel Kant, John Rawls
Chaly V. A.
[html]1. Kalinnikov, L. A. 1988, Kategoricheskij imperativ i teleologicheskij metod [The categorical imperative and the teleological ...
Condorcet interpretation of probability’s theory: the use of a mathematical construct to the field of social action
... freedom, and history and social progress bear strong similarity to Kant’s views. However, the observed differences are indicative not only of Condorcet having overcome the prejudices of his time, but also of that his version of social, ethical, and political philosophy is alternative to Kant's theory of practical reason, as well as the philosophy of history of the Enlightenment and German rationalism.
1. Althusser, L. 2006, Politique et histoire de Machiavel à Marx, Paris, Seuil.
2. Binoche, B. 2013, Nouvelles lectures du Tableau historique de Condorcet, Paris, Hermann.
3. Boczko, B. 1982, Une éducation pour la démocratie: ...
Inter-organizational networks as seen by western economic sociology: An analysis of theoretical approaches
... Alter C., Hage J. Organizations working together. Newbury Park, 1993.
2. Benson K. J. The Interorganizational Network as a Political Economy // Administrative Science Quarterly. 1975. Vol. 20, № 2. P. 229—249.
3. Bourdieu P. The forms of capital ... ... Capital in the Creation of Human Capital // American Journal of Sociology. 1988. Supplement. Vol. 94. P. 95—120.
5. Coleman J. Rational Action, Social Networks and the Emergence of Norms // Structures of Power and Constraint. N. Y., 1990. P. 91—112.
Is Spinoza’s Ethics Heteronomous in the Kantian Sense of the Term?
... Substance and Thought. New York: Oxford University Press.
Nadler, S., 2014. The Lives of Others: Spinoza on Benevolence and Rational Virtue. In: M. J. Kisner, A. Youpa, eds. Essays on Spinoza’s Ethical Theory. New York: Oxford University Press, pp.... ... Theological-Political Treatise. Translated by J. Israel, M. Silverthorne. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Spinoza, B., 2007b. A Political Treatise. In: B. Spinoza, 2007. A Theologico-Political Treatise, and A Political Treatise. Translated by B. R. H. Elwes....
Significance of social contract theories for the development of political philosophy in Russia
... Political. Expanded Edition. Chicago, 2007.
Political Theology. Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignty. MIT Press, 1985.
The Orthodox Way. St Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 1995.
social contract, political rationalism, liberalism, negative anthropology,
Hume, Kant, Carl Schmitt, Rawls.
Kant on Human Dignity: Autonomy, Humanity, and Human Rights
... explores the new frontier within Kantian scholarship which suggests that Kant places so much special importance on the value of rational nature that the supreme principle of morality and the concept of human dignity are both grounded on it. Advocates of ... ... Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Bayefsky, R., 2013. Dignity, Honour, and Human Rights: Kant’s Perspective. Political Theory, 41(6), pp. 809-837.
Beck, G., 2006. Immanuel Kant’s Theory of Rights. Ratio Juris, 19(4), pp. 371-401.
Inadvisable Concession: Kant’s Critique of the Political Philosophy of Christian Garve
... starting point of my study is Kant’s remark to the effect that Garve in his treatise on the connection between morality and politics presents arguments in defence of unjust principles. Recognition of these principles is, according to Kant, an inadvisable ... ... attempt to combine in one concept the lessons of historical experience with the ideas drawn from British empiricism and German rationalism. These ideas were criticised by Kant in his “critical” period. There is a consensus among researchers that Garve ...
Duty and Coercion in Kant’s Republican Cosmopolitanism
This paper argues whether Kant’s cosmopolitanism entails a specific theory of coercion. I will especially tackle Kant’s account of international political order. First, I claim that Kant attributes a systematic role to the cosmopolitan right, what justifies considering this part of the doctrine of law as a necessary rational conclusion of the legal system, although its institutional embodiment differs from that required by the rights of states. I highlight that according to Kant states may not behave as individual citizens do, since they do not recognize any higher ...
Russian-Estonian Economic and Investment Cooperation During the Crisis: Dynamics and Possibilities
... Investment Agency, 07 April, available at: http://www.investinestonia.com/en/about-estonia/news/article/884-estonian-company-ecomet-invest-to-launch-batteryprocessing-plant-in-russia (accessed 01.11.2014).
17. George, A. Adapting to Constraints on Rational Decisionmaking. In: R. Art & P. Education (Eds.) International Politics: Enduring Concepts and Contemporary Issues, New York, 1992.
18. Levy, J. S. 2003, Political Psychology and Foreign Policy. In D. Sears, L. Huddy & R. Jervis (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Political Psychology, New York, p. 820.
19. Partowazar, ...
Hybrid texts as a form of interaction between avant-garde artistic and political discourses
... 2015. Ratsional'nyy diskurs i poeticheskaya kommunikatsiya: metody lingvisticheskogo, literaturnogo i filosofskogo analiza [Rational discourse and poetic communication: methods of linguistic, literary and philosophical analysis]. Tomsk (in Russ.).... ...
Rancière, J., 2007. Razdelyaya chuvstvennoe [Sharing the sensual]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Rykov, A., 2019. Politika avangarda [Politics of the avant-garde]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Sériot, P., 1999. Russian language and analysis of Soviet political discourse,...
Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives
... vs. colonization history, postcoloniality and geographical identity. The case of Latvia], Neprikosnovennyj zapas [Emergency ration], no. 3, available at: http://www.intelros.ru/readroom/nz/nz_71/6961-okkupaciya-vs-kolonizaciya-istoriya-postkolonialnost-i-geograficheskayaidentichnost-sluchaj-latvii.... ... nacional'noj strategii [Problems of National Strategy], no. 4 (19), p. 210.
Baltic Sea, Baltic States, international politics, historical memory models, Russian international policy, political elites, international economy
Kant’s Ethics in the Context of the Enlightenment. Report of the 12th Kant Readings Conference (Kaliningrad, 21-25 April 2019
Pinker, S. 2018. Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress. New York: Viking Press.
Kant, Enlightenment, historical and philosophical reception, global problems, ethics of science and technology, human dignity, political rationality, contemporary problems of education
Nina A. Dmitrieva, Andrey S. Zilber, Vadim A. Chaly, Alexander S. Kiselev, Polina R. Bonadyseva
Management of Trans-boundary Water Resources: Comparing Russian and American Experiences
... the field of trans-boundary water management. The author showcases the work of Russian-Estonian Commission for Protection and Rational Use of Trans-Boundary Waters and the US-Canadian International Joint Commission. The Russian-Estonian Commission works ... ... Politologija. Pravo. Mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [Bulletin of St. Petersburg University. Ser. 6: Philosophy. Cultural Studies. Political science. Right. International relations], no. 3. p. 53—62.
5. Kochtcheeva, L. V. 2009, Comparative Environmental Regulation ...
Arguments against Redistributive Justice based on Kant’s Doctrine of Private Right
... sections of Kant’s theory of acquisition of external things in the private right. Finally, I will sketch an objection against political uses of a principle of historical rectification of acquisitions. The principle of rectification is the third and last ... ... Metaphysics of Morals: A Critical Guide, ed. by L. Denis, Cambridge, pp. 93—110.
3. Höffe, O. 2010, Kant’s Innate Right as a Rational Criterion for Human Rights, in: Kant’s Metaphysics of Morals: A Critical Guide, ed. by L. Denis, Cambridge, pp. 71—92....
Evolution of International Research Cooperation models in the Contemporary Foreign Policy Environment
... right?], available at: https://www.facebook.
com/isconnectivityahumanright (accessed 17.03.2015).
13. Shishkina, A. 2014, Internet-cenzura i «arabskaja vesna» [Internet censorship and the "Arab Spring"], Neprikosnovennyj zapas [Emergency ration], Vol. 93,
14. Opening Closed Regimes. What Was the Role of Social Media During the Arab Spring?, 2011, Working Paper, The Project on Information Technology and
Political Islam, University of Washington, no. 1.
international academic and research cooperation, foreign policy, internationalization of education and research
Some aspects of John Rawls’s first principle of justice
... justice proposed by the American philosopher John Rawls as universal principles that would be chosen by every reasonable and rational person in an ‘original position’. The work analyses the problematic aspects of the principle’s formulation (the ... ... [Justice as contract (critical analysis of the John Rawls’ theory of justice)], in: Problemy politicheskoi filosofii [Issues of political philosophy]. Moscow. S. 69—85.
2. Kuzmina, A. B. 1998, Ideya spravedlivosti v liberal’noi tradicii [Idea of justice ...
Events as a semantic framework for the construction of reality: the prospects of a transition to a dynamic ontology
... for humanitarian research]. St. Petersburg, Tsentr istorii idej, pp. 28-58 (in Russ.).
Tulchinskii, G.L., 2017. Explanation in political science: constructivism vs positivism. Publichnaja Politika [Public Policy], 1, pp. 76-98 (in Russ.).
Heidegger, M.... ... studies in the theory of communicative action. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
Hempel, С.G., 2000. Science, Explanation, and Rationality. New York: Oxford University Press.
McCloskey, D., 1998. The Rhetoric of Economics. University of Wisconsin Press....
Translation and Discourse Analysis
... Studies. Target, 13(2), pp. 203—239.
Colina, S., 1997. Contrastive Rhetoric and Text-Typological Conventions in Translation Teaching. Target, 9(2), pp. 335—353.
Daghigh, A. J., Sanatifar, M. S. and Awang, R., 2018. A taxonomy of manipulative operations in political discourse translation. A CDA approach. Forum, 16(2), pp. 197—220.
Fairclough, N., 1995. Critical Discourse Analysis: The Critical Study of Language. London: Longman.
Fairclough, N., 2000. New Labour. New Language? London: Routledge.
The media image of San Escobar in the space of fictional worlds: a socio-semiotic perspective
... fairy tale]. Leningrad (in Russ.).
Sladkevich, Zh., 2018. I will not say anything, but again I will say something: the aberration content of public discourse from the perspective of meaning generation (categories of meaningfulness and meaninglessness).... ... dictionary of the Russian language]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Shejgal, Ye. I., 2004. Semiotika politicheskogo duskursa [Semiotics of political discourse]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Yarceva, V. N., 2002. Lingvisticheskij enciklopedicheskij slovar’ [Linguistic Encyclopedic ...
Was heißt Fortschritt im Wissen? Gnoseotopische Überlegungen zur Aufklärung und ihren Folgen
... when irreducible yet systematically repressed elements of human ignorance were integrated into the epistemology of 18th-century rationalism. This article discusses the development in the shift from ignorance as a given to ignorance as a systematically reflected ... ... and contemporary natural scientists) about the effects that a gnoseotopical perspective has on globalization and ecological politics, and more broadly with reflections on the current need for core Enlightenment ideas in their full complexity.
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
... implemented in its different parts. From this point of view, the Strategy for the Baltic Sea region, apparently inspired by ‘rational functionalism’, can assign a new meaning to the concept of the region.
1. Memorandum o vzaimoponimanii, ustanavlivajuschij ... ... (accessed: 22.01.2016).
7. Bengtsson, R. 2016, Sweden and the Baltic Sea Region. In: Pierre, J. (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Swedish Politics, Oxford, p. 442—461.
8. Brask, H. 2014, Governance crisis in the Baltic Sea region cooperation? April 24, available ...
Kantian Ethical Humanism in Late Imperial Russia
... from Radishchev to the Decembrists], Volume 2. Moscow: Mysl’, pp. 204-351. (In Russ.)
Marx, K., 1976. Capital. A Critique of Political Economy, Volume 1. Translated by B. Fowkes. London: Penguin Books.
Mezhuev, V. M., 1977. Kul’tura i istoriya [Culture ... ... pp. 305325.
Walsh, W. H., 1947. Reason and Experience. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Humanism, Russian philosophy, Kant, reason, rationality, human dignity, morality
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... the introduction of mechanisms of industrial integration structures using single organizational production modules capable of rational combination and transformation of the elements of national production structure to create competitive transnational production ... ... and the New Economics of Competition, Harvard Business Review, November-December, p. 77—90.
32. Wallerstein, I. 1984, The politics of the world economy, Paris, 295 p.
industry, spatial and industrial changes, transition period, transformation ...
Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation in the Baltic region: the untapped potential
... instability of the legal environment in Russia, insufficient mechanisms of financial support for energy conservation projects and poor political support. Nevertheless, energy efficiency cooperation is capable of changing Russia-EU energy cooperation qualitatively: ... ... Communication from the Commission of 29 April 1998, «Energy efficiency in the European Community — Towards a strategy for the rational use of energy»,1998, COM, no. 246 final, available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex UriServ.do?uri=COM:1998:0246:FIN:EN:PDF ...
Network Transformations in Economy
... Competition. Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 1992.
9. Burt R. S., Knez M. Kinds of Third-Party Effects on Trust // Rationality and Society. 1995. № 7. P. 225—292.
10. Chesbrough H. Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting ... ...,1994. P. 95—112.
21. Gereffi G., Humphrey J., Sturgeon T. The governance of global value chains //Review of International Political Economy. 2005. № 12. P. 78—104.
22. Granovetter M. Economic action and social structure: The problem of embeddedness ...
Frolova Ye. The theoretical and methodological issues of the revival of natural law
... sushhestvovanie [The right to ex-ist], Moscow.19. Petrazhickij L. I. 2010. Teorija i politika prava. Izbrannye trudy [Theory and Politics of law. Selected Works] / nauch. red. E. V. Timoshina, St. Peterburg.20. Petrazhickij L. I. 1913, O social'nom ideale ... ... Prelude], Moscow.28. Zhukov V. N. 2013, Russkaja filosofija prava: ot racionalizma k misticizmu [Russian philosophy of law: from rationalism to mysticism], Moscow.