The Intercessor Type of Marian Iconography: Icons from the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art
Analysing the Intercessor type of Marian iconography, this author identifies the iconographic features of such depictions and explores the transformation that the image has undergone in the Russian icon painting tradition. To achieve this goal, the author employs the methods of comparison and generalisation and traces the transformation of the Byzantine image of Paraklesis into the Intercessor iconographic type of Russian icon painting. By examining ...
Rhythm and Metaphor in the Art of the Icon
Using art history interpretation methods and the methods of historical cultural studies, the author demonstrates the role of rhythm and metaphor as the most expressive artistic means of icon painting. The interaction of rhythm and metaphor is an integral part of the imagery and semantics of icon painting. It is stressed that the entire theological and aesthetic image of icons, which is based on rhythm and metaphor, expresses the cosmogonic ...
The Image of the World Revealed In Words: Ludwig Wittgenstein and The Iсonic Semiotics
The article discusses an alternative version of semiotics in which the process of semiosis is based not on metonymic symbolization (substitution), when one entity stands for another, but on the metaphorical (iconic) representation. The author suggests considering iconicity as a basis for relating the signifier and the signified. This relation is understood as a construed one rather than something determined by physical similarity. The basis for such a revision ...
Faces and Icons (on Vladimir Soloukhin's “The Black Boards”)
The article considers the 20th century Russian history and the spiritual state of the society as the main subjects of the book. The author outlines the connection between the icon and the ancient and contemporary history of Russia, arguing that its function is to bring the mind of a Russian back to the Christian tradition.
. Собр. соч.: в 5 т. М., 2006. Т. 3.
Spiritual Ascension in the Icons and Vitae of Female Martyrs: the Collection of the Rybinsk Museum and Preserve
This article analyses the symbol of light and the motif of acquiring wisdom in the icons and the vitae of saints conveying the spiritual ascension of Saint Paraskevi of Iconium and Saint Juliana of Nicomedia. The common motifs in the two vitae are flagellation (whipping), death by beheading, and the punishment of torturers after the ...
The cathedral and the icon in the literary world of V. Shukshin’s short stories
This article analyses the role of the cathedral and the icon in the lives of V. Shukshin’s characters: the author shows the most important features of the Russian national character of the second half of the 20th century, as well as the peculiarities of the axiological system characteristic of a non-clerical,...
The features of the Last Judgement theme in Galich icons at the threshold of the Modern Age
This article considers the transformation of traditional iconographic elements of the Western branch of Eastern Slavic icon painting in view of the civilisational processes developing in the late Middle Ages. It is stressed that the iconography of the Last Judgement was represented by more complex — in terms of composition and ideas — works reflecting the prevalent ...
The Soteriological Aspect of the Murals in the Kaliningrad Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
... history and theory of Christian art], 3(19), pp. 120—129.
4. Kutkovoi, V. S., 2008. Kraski mudrosti [Paints of wisdom]. Moscow.
5. Lidov, A. M., 2009. Ierotopiya. Prostranstvennye ikony i obrazy-paradigmy v vizantiiskoi kul'ture [Hierotopy. Spatial icons and images-paradigms in Byzantine culture]. Moscow.
6. Losskii, V. N. and Uspenskii, L. A., 2014. Smysl ikon [Meaning of icons]. Moscow.
7. Demus, O., 2001. Mozaiki vizantiiskikh khramov. Printsipy monumental'nogo iskusstva Vizantii [Mosaics of ...
On the Semiotic Model of Image
The article is devoted to the development of a fundamental semiotic model of images that is based on the categorical apparatus of Ch. S. Peirce (on the concepts of Firstness, icon, hypoicon and metaphor). The image is proposed to be defined as a complex sign (two-level hypoicon- metaphor), which has a certain “primary” sign as its sign vehicle that represents the object constituted by all the facts (cases of semiosis) ...
Liturgy space and art in Orthodoxy
... liturgical chronotope contributes to overcoming the currently dominant cognitive tendency to split or polarize Orthodox mentality. The author explores the foundations of Orthodox aesthetics and art.
religion, Orthodoxy, aesthetics, religious art, icon, liturgy, temple, space, time
The Icon in the Russian Literature of the 19th Century
1. Воропаев В. Духом схимник сокрушенный. М., 1994.
2. Гоголь Н. В. Собр. соч.: в 9 т. М., 1994.
3. Искусство и художник в русской прозе первой половины XIX века. Л.,1989.
4. Карамзин Н. М. Предания веков. М., 1987.
5. Памятники литературы Древней Руси. XII век. М., 1980.
6. Послание некоего изуграфа Иосифа к цареву изуграфу и мудрейшему живописцу Симону Федоровичу // Древнерусское искусство. XVII век. М.,1974.
7. Приют, сияньем муз одетый. М., 1979.
8. Пушкин А. С. Полное собр. соч.: в 10 т. Л....
An icon of time: the verbal image of a holiday in Russian culture
This article considers the temporal constants of the holiday of Christmas in I. S. Shmelev’s novel The Summer of the Lord. The key to understanding the verbal image of a holiday is the lines based on Christmas chants. An analysis of lexical and grammatical means of expressing temporal semantics shows that the past and the eternally present amalgamate in the description of a holiday: in the supra-temporal reality of a holiday, everything abides in the atemporal “now”.
1. Вейсман А. Д. Греческо-русский...
Development of the Olympic movement in the early 20th century in Germany
... венг. ; под общ. ред. В. В. Столбова. М., 1982.
2. Родиченко В. С., Иванов С. А. и др. Твой олимпийский учебник. 22-е изд., пе-рераб. и доп. М., 2010.
3. Bonde H. The Iconic Symbolism of Niels Bukh. Aryan Body Culture // Da-nisch Gumnastics and Nordic Tradition Sofia. 1984. P. 104—118.
4. Lipoński W. Historia sportu. Wyd. naukowe PWNSA. Warszawa, 2012.
5. Petrova N. Nature and Functions of Physikal Edukation in ...
The Icon in the Russian Literature of the 19th Century
1. Писемский А. Ф. Собр. соч.: в 9 т. М., 1959.
2. Поселянин Е. Богоматерь. Описание Ее земной жизни и чудотворных икон: в 2 т. М., 2002. Т. 2.
3. Мельников П. И. (Андрей Печерский). Собр. соч.: в 8 т. М., 1976.
4. Лесков Н. С. О литературе и искусстве. Л., 1984.
5. Лесков Н. С. Собр. соч.: в 11 т. М., 1956―1958. Т. 10.
6. Лесков А. Жизнь Николая Лескова по его личным и несемейным записям и памятям: в 2 т. М., 1984. Т. 2.
7. Лесков Н. С. Собр. соч.: в 6 т. М., 1993.
8. Вздорнов Г. И. История открытия...
The Icon of Time: the Metaphor of Celebration in Russian Culture
1. Вейсман А. Д. Греческо-русский словарь. М., 1991.
2. Вендина Т. И. Из кирилло-мефодиевского наследия в языке русской культуры. М., 2007.
3. Даль В. Толковый словарь живого великорусского языка: в 4 т. М., 1956. Т. 3.
4. Дьяченко Г., свящ. Полный церковно-славянский словарь. М., 2007.
5. Есаулов И. А. Христианский реализм как художественный принцип русской классики // Феномен русской духовности. Калининград, 2007.
6. Ильин И А. Собрание сочинений: в 10 т. М., 1996.
7. Календарь «Православные...
Freud’s cognitive and linguistic insights in the theory of dream interpretation
... transformations as metaphor, metonymy, symbolisation, paronymy, homonymy, language game, and associative networks for Freud’s theory. Moreover, polysemy, initial context conditions, and the transfer of content from one coding into another — from the iconic image system into the symbolic conceptual one — also play an important role in dream interpretation. It is concluded that Freud anticipated key theoretical principles of modern cognitive linguistics.
1. Аверинцев С. С. Вода ...
The ‘secret portrait’ in Eastern Slavic religious paintings on the threshold of modernity: The southwestern accent
... бароко в украïнському живопису. Новi сторiнки творчостi Миколи Петрахновича // Украïнське барокко та европейський контекст. Киïв, 1991.
culture, icon painting, portrait, history, Rzeczpospolita, Southwestern Russia
Poetics of the ‘ideal’: The ancient and Christian tradition in K. N. Leontyev’s novel Odysseus Polychroniades
... Leontyev’s novel Odysseus Polychroniades. Leontyev expresses Christian ideas using images of Greek heroes. The ancient tradition is represented in the pan-aesthetic attitude of the literary work. In the text, the two traditions are compared using the ‘icon – picture’ opposition. The article stresses the connection between Christian and ancient tradition, which proves to be more important than differences between them. It is concluded that two cultural ideals affecting the formation of the novel’s ...
‘Many years to the invincible’: The axiological meanings of the spatial and temporal images in Boris Pasternak’s poem ‘Neoglyadnost’/’ Spanlessness’
... Intertexts]. Moscow.
6. Krasheninnikova, E., 1997. Bits about Pasternak. Novyi mir [New world], 1. Available at:
[Accessed 02 June 2015].
7. Kutkovoi, V. S., 2011. Semantic features of color in the icon "Holy Trinity" of the Monk Andrei Rublev. In: L. G. Dorofeeva et al., eds. Andrei Rublev i mir russkoi kul'tury: k 650-letiyu rozhdeniya [Andrei Rublev and the world of Russian culture: to the 650th anniversary of his birth]. Kaliningrad....
Monarchical iconographers at the turn of a new time: Slavonic parallels (Simon Ushakov and Matvey Domoradsky)
... древнерусского искусства при Московском публичном музее. М., 1873. С. 3—104.
23. Шамардiна Н. Украïнська iкона ХV—ХVIII столiть. Львiв, 1994.
South-Western Russia, icon, portrait, court painter
A literary image as a cognitive phenomenon
... in psychology: psychoanalytic approach, the theory of reflection, cognitive psychology. It describes cognitive features of image and the ways of their representation in the novel «The Master of Petersburg» by J. Coetzee. An image is viewed as an iconic sign incorporated in the structure of a concept, being an element of its figurative-and-associative layer. It contributes to cognition of reality, reflecting a specific model of reality which connects concrete perceptible characteristics of an ...
The problem of meaning in Social Semiotics: deep semiotics as a conceptual extension of Social Semiotics
... consciousness to change the semantic picture of the world, behaviour, and the way one perceives reality. Almost all cultural artefacts perform the function of a sign. As a semiotic system develops special signs emerge to replace the artefacts by denoting them. Iconic signs are based upon resemblance, index signs upon a causal relationship, and symbols on social conventions. Language is the most important system of symbolisation. Indeed, language serves as a guide to the systems of rules, values, and socio-cultural ...
‘The Word, an Ulcer…’: Aleksey Chicherin’s semiotic utopia
... research of the early Russian avant-garde and the basic tenets of the semiotic description of the language, on the other. An analysis of Chicherin's theory shows that it rests on an attempt to overcome the linearity of linguistic signs and to build an iconic ‘sign of Poetry’, capable of almost a complete reflection of a constructivist poet’s artistic intentions. Against the background of the total logocentrism of the early 20th-century historical and cultural paradigm, Chicherin’s semiotic ...