The Soteriological Aspect of the Murals in the Kaliningrad Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
The article explores the main principles behind modern church paintings. The author examines the key factors affecting the structure of mural paintings and pays special attention to their semantic content. The main objective of the analysis is to identify means of expressive visualisation of the Divine Oeconomy, which is the semantic fundamental of the murals’ iconography. The author employs the methods of iconographic and iconological analysis correlating with the objectives of the study. It is concluded that the soteriological aspect of mural iconography is one of the most traditional and semantically justified. It is reflected in the composition and the choice of colours as well as in the selection and juxtaposition of motifs and their correlation with the architectural elements of the Kaliningrad Cathedral. The soteriological aspect does not diminish the significance of other factors determining the iconography of the murals, i. e. the architectural design, the dedication of the Cathedral, liturgical aspects etc. On the contrary, it contributes to a deeper understanding of such aspects.
1. Arkhimandrit Ioann (Krest'yankin), 1994. Propovedi 1973—1994 godov [Sermons of 1973—1994]. Pskov. Vol. 2.
2. Gubareva, O. V., 2013. Rozhdestvo Khristovo [Nativity]. St. Petersburg.
3. Davidova, A. G., 2015. The meaning of the term “Painting program” for the church monumental art. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriya 5. Voprosy istorii i teorii khristianskogo iskusstva [Bulletin PSTGU. Series 5. Questions of history and theory of Christian art], 3(19), pp. 120—129.
4. Kutkovoi, V. S., 2008. Kraski mudrosti [Paints of wisdom]. Moscow.
5. Lidov, A. M., 2009. Ierotopiya. Prostranstvennye ikony i obrazy-paradigmy v vizantiiskoi kul'ture [Hierotopy. Spatial icons and images-paradigms in Byzantine culture]. Moscow.
6. Losskii, V. N. and Uspenskii, L. A., 2014. Smysl ikon [Meaning of icons]. Moscow.
7. Demus, O., 2001. Mozaiki vizantiiskikh khramov. Printsipy monumental'nogo iskusstva Vizantii [Mosaics of Byzantine temples. Principles of monumental art of Byzantium]. Moscow.
8. Pokrovskii, N. V., 2001. Evangelie v pamyatnikakh ikonografii [Gospel in the monuments of iconography]. Moscow.
9. Yazykova, I. K., 2012. So-tvorenie obraza. Bogoslovie ikony [Co-creation of the image. The theology of icon]. Moscow.