The modern historiography on the gender aspects of the history of the First World War
This article describes the major issues in studying the gender aspects of the First World War in modern historiography. Major topics of studies include women on the battlefield and on the home front, gender-specific propa¬ganda, and the crisis of masculinity. The author argues that the explanation of history ...
Gender studies in Russian linguistics
Gender studies in Russian linguistics largely depend on the development of linguistics and society. Instances of sexism in the Russian language are associated with the level of grammar and observed in proverbs and gender clichés. The author examines ...
Discursive features of Russian gender-oriented advertisements
This article addresses the metadiscourse structure and the means of gender manifestation in the advertising message. Two advertisements for the same good aimed at women and men were chosen for a semiotic analysis. The analysis identified the verbal and nonverbal means of exposing implicit messages reflecting gender relations ...
Feminization of lexical changes as a problem of gender linguistics
The main aim of the article is to describe the problem of feminization of lexical changes in the light of gender linguistics. The article analyses the
means of expressing gender in the modern French by studying feministic neologisms which appeared in the language as a result of word-building processes and metaphorical transfer of meaning. In order to prove ...
The problem of sociological reductionism in gender studies
Social constructivism is a philosophical and methodological approach widely used in the gender studies of the second half of the 20th century. The author examines the theoretical framework for sociological constructivism and ideological reasons behind its popularity in feminist philosophy. The author considers social constructivism as a ...
Contextual conditionality of gender-marked lexemes in German male-written memoires of the 19th—20th centuries
The author investigates the use of gender marked lexemes in retrospective texts of the 19th and 20th century written by male authors. Gender identity in the male written texts is reflected in gender marked lexemes (GML), representing subjective autonominations realized at the lexical level ...
Pragmatic aspects of gender-specific compliments in the English language culture
The aim of this article is to examine linguistic manifestations of gender in complimentary utterances in English. The author uses modern fiction as an object of research. Linguistic manifestations of gender characteristics are analysed against the target-related orientation of the complimentary utterances. The author ...
The principles of the concept analysis of the "male" and "female" in Russian linguistic mentality
This article offers the theoretical grounds and methods of semantic analysis of “male” and “female” categories developed on the basis of linguistic data. The author draws examples from the Russian language to demonstrate gender semantic models in Russian linguistic mentality, e. g. the general understandding of the “male” and the “female”, the content properties of these principles, etc.
. Пропозиция // Лингвистический ...
Language features of Bertha von Suttner's autobiography, «Lebenserinnerungen», in gender studies
The article deals with the manifestation of the gender aspect in the auto-biography "Lebenserinnerungen" by the Austrian writer Bertha von Suttner (XIX-XX c. с.). The analysis is performed on the example of the lexical-semantic category "The Feminine" which is implemented in the ...
A testimony of the First World War: Käthe Kollwitz’s cycle War (1922—1923)
This article analyses the cycle War (Krieg) by the German painter Käthe Kollwitz as a testimony of the First World War. The author argues that the testimony of the painter has been underestimated. Current gender studies make it possible to interpret K. Kollwitz’s works as a historical source for reconstructing the memory of the war.
1. Bohnke-Kollwitz J. Käthe Kollwitz. Die Tagebücher 1908—1943. München, 2007.
2. Comini A. Gender or Genius? ...
A man a seen by a man in modern Russian chanson
This article presents a gender portrait of a man as seen in modern “male” Russian chanson. Two types of such portrait are identified: the lyrical one that is reconstructed on the basis of the songwriter’s self-expression and the objective one that develops when the songwriter ...
Variability of stress in the past tense verbs, short participles and short adjectives
The study established a wide verb stress variety, and stated the ambiguity of their dictionary fixation. The authors consider the traditional opposition of feminine gender verb forms to the other gender verb forms as a stable trend. The authors also denote a new opposition of the neutral gender verbs, marked as acceptable younger norm, with the type of accent paradigm a/c 2, 3. Wide variatian is also observed in ...
The dream dictionary of G. H. Miller: The structural originality and cognitive models of interpretation
... H. Miller’s dream dictionary is analysed from the perspective of modern cognitive linguistics. The author examines its cultural characteristics, embeddedness in the context of dreams, the polysemy of the key image, and the possibility of homonymy. Gender dependence and subject-object differentiation are identified as important features of dream interpretations in the dictionary. The author describes three mechanisms of semantic transformation behind the dream interpretation: metaphoric conversion,...
Gender and seasonal characteristics of lipid exchange in people of different ages
... The influence of seasonal changes (spring, autumn) on the lipid compounds of blood serum was analyzed. A dependence between the total cholesterol level, the content of low-density (LDL) and high-density lipoproteins (HDL, and triglycerides and age and gender was identified.
1. Буганов А. А., Агбалян А. А., Ионова Н. Е. Влияние фактора питания на состояние здоровья населения // Медицина труда и промышленной ...
The man as seen in Russian jokes
The cultural portrait of the man is reconstructed on the basis of contemporary Russian jokes in the context of gender studies. The author identifies such typical traits as love of drinking and watching sports programmes, laziness, ostentatious eroticism, etc. At the same time, certain mechanism of the comical are defined from the perspectives of cultural and cognitive ...
Corpus-based studies in conference interpreting
... variation and unique items hypothesis in simultaneous interpreting from Italian into English. An intermodal study based on EPIC. MA Dissertation. University of Bologna.
Magnifico, C. and Defrancq, B., 2016. Impoliteness in interpreting: a question of gender? Translation and Interpreting, 8(2), pp. 26—45.
Magnifico, C. and Defrancq B., 2017. Hedges in conference interpreting: The role of gender. Interpreting, 19(1), pp. 21—46.
Monti, C., Bendazzoli, C., Sandrelli, A. and Russo, M., 2005. Studying ...
Between nation and gender: History of beards in Western Europe and Russia, 1830—1880
... in Western Europe are analysed and the Western and Russian practices compared. It is concluded that, from the mid-19th century, the beard was a symbol of national unity – the unity of peasants and the educated class in Russia, whereas it emphasised gender inequality and the exceptional status of men in the society and politics in Western Europe.
1. Аксаков И. С. В чем сила России? // Аксаков И. С. Наше знамя — русская народность. М....
Gender an seasonal changes in the leukocyte population in different age groups
... results of a hematological assay of blood (leucocytes, mean value of absolute and relative values of the leucocyte population: lymphocytes, total eosinophil, basophils, monocyte, and neutrophil count) in the military and reserve personnel. Seasonal, gender and age-dependent features in blood parameter changes are identified.
1. Назаренко Г. И., Кишкун А. А. Клиническая оценка результатов лабораторных исследований М., 2005.
Socio-psychological factors provoking aggression in adolescents
... who live in Zhytomyr. The research relied on the Buss-Perry Aggression Questionnaire (BPAQ) and the questionnaire Direction of Aggression in Adolescents, which was designed by E. K. Ageenkova, M. V. Tarasova and P. M. Larionov. The study analysed gender aspects of aggression and the focus of aggression among adolescents in connection with frustrating factors that occur in school environment, family, in their relations with peers, their social environment, as well as adolescents’ perception of ...
Philosophical and Anthropological Ideas of Vasily Rosanov in the Problem Field of Russian Thinking Abroad
The article considers the anthropological problems of gender, proceeding from the interaction of natural and spiritual world content. The author reveals the specific character of Vasily Rosanov‘s views on the meaning of sexual relations.
О назначении человека....
A woman as seen by a man in modern Russian chanson
... ‘self-portrait’, orientation towards the male psychological models of perceiving reality, and the use of an image of an ageing woman. Love and at the same time freedom are presented as a woman’s basic life values, which is indicative of changes in the female gender perception in the modern Russian society.
1. Амбарцумов И. Русский шансон. Русский рок. Русская судьба. 2010. URL: http:/www.polemics.ru/articles/?articleID=14113&hideText=0&itemPage=2 (дата обращения: ...
Gender differences in quality of life in the population of a northern regions depending on the field of employment
... статистического анализа. М., 1988.
13. Ware J. E., Snow K. K., Kosinski M., Gandek B. Sf-36 Health Survey. Manuаl and Interpretation Guide. Lincoln, 2000.
Sirusina Ad., Sirusina Ae., Ragozin O., Shalamova E
quality of life, gender, sex, mental labour, manual labour, northern region.
Household management as seen by the federal military personnel during the American Civil War
... Family and Nation in Civil War Virginia. Chapel Hill, 2008.
3. Paludan P. S. War and Home: The Civil War Encounter. Milwaukee, 1997.
4. Taylor A. M. The Divided Family in the Civil War America. Chapel Hill, 2005.
5. McCurry S. Women Numerous and Armed: Gender and Politics of Subsistence in the Civil War South // Wars Within a War: Controversy and Conflict over the American Civil War / ed. by G. W. Gallagher. Chapel Hill, 2009. P. 1—62.
6. Walker H. Power, Sex, and Gender Roles: The Transformation ...
Age-related characteristics of English, American, and Russian compliments
... have certain specific features. The findings of the study can be employed in the Stylistics and Pragmalinguistics courses, which is the practical outcome of the research.
Vakhtin, N.V., Golovko, E.V., 2004. Sotsiolingvistika i sotsiologiya yazyka. Gender. Yazyk i vozrast [Sociolinguistics and sociology of language. Gender. Language and age]. Available at:
[Accessed 3 September 2014].
Erofeev, V.V., 1990. Russkaya krasavitsa [The Russian Beauty]. Available ...
The portrait of a dreamer: The problem of language as a sign system of dreams
The most vivid characteristics of a person capable of having ‘prophetic’ dreams are identified on an analytical basis. The authors consider such aspects as the dreamer’s gender, age, ability of semantic development of dreams, and ability to understand their prophetic nature. The combination of these parameters comprises the portrait of a dreamer.
1. Берестнев Г. И. Слово, язык и за их пределами....
Normal range of liver stiffness measurement in healthy people
... acoustic radiation force impulse imaging // Eur. J. Radiol. 2013. Vol. 82 (6). P. 290—294. doi: 10.1016/j.ejrad. 2013.01.018.
17. Roulot D., Czernichow S., Le Clésiau H. et al. Liver stiffness values in apparently healthy subjects: influence of gender and metabolic syndrome // J. Hepatol. 2008. Vol. 48 (4). P. 606—613. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2007.11.020.
18. Raghuwanshi B., Jain N., Jain M. Normal values in healthy liver in central India by acoustic radiation force impulse imaging // J. Clin....
The woman as seen by a man in modern Russian chanson
... С. 172—181.
3. Aisha. Что такое шансон? // Каталог статей «1001 статья» : [сайт]. URL: http://www.1001statya.ru/read.php?pid=3522 (дата обращения: 06.05.2013).
Russian chanson, gender, concept, linguistic reconstruction, semantics, text, cultural linguistics, analytical psychology, archetype
Diagnostic criteria for splenomegaly (review)
... index. Historically, there is a transition from strict criteria for splenomegaly (a certain value of the length, volume of an organ, the area of its transverse section) to formulas that take into account the anthropometric characteristics of patients (gender, height).
Morozov S.V., Izranov V.A., Kazantseva N.V.
spleen, size, volume, ultrasound, computed tomography
The theme of the female in the novels of Charles Brockden Brown
... Feminism in Fiction // American Novelists Revisited: Essays in Feminist Criticism.
. My Good Mama // Studies in American Fiction. 1981. №
. Private Property: Charles Brockden Brown’s Gendered Economics of Virtue.
Iskanderova N. V.
novel, USA, feminism, Ch. B. Brown
Liver shear wave elastography: the problem of accuracy and reproducibility
... analyzing the factors affecting the accuracy of measurements of liver stiffness depending on the equipment; testing various SWE techniques for their advantages and disadvantages; identifying the factors depending on the patient (body mass index, gender, respiration, etc.); finding out the reproducibility of liver stiffness measurements in SWE, depending on the skills of the operator, the minimal measurements, the use of contrast-enhanced ultrasound. The most important factors affecting the results ...
Сomparative trends in the morphofunctional development of rural and urban school children in the Nizhny Novgorod region at the present stage
... Российской Федерации : сб. матер. / под ред. А. А. Баранова и В. Р. Кучмы. М., 2013. Вып. 6.
Kalyuzhny Ye., Mikhailova S., Kuzmichev Yu., Krylov V.
physical development, morphofunctional parameters, gender differences, urban school children, rural school children, physical development level, centile distribution
The avoidance of investigative errors when interrogating women
... Воронеж, 2006.
13. Рябоконь В. В. Следственные ошибки и пути их устранения. М. 1997.
Osipova Ye., Makoveeva A., Krasnov Ye.
typical investigative errors, tactical techniques of interrogating women, gender approach to interrogation techniques
Kant’s political philosophy revised from the perspective of feminist epistemology
... Series / ed. by R. M. Schott. Robin University Park, 1997.
17. Fukuyama F. Women and the Evolution of World Politics // Foreign affairs.1998. № 5.
18. Millett K. Sexual Politics. N. Y., 1970.
I. Kant, political philosophy, feminism, gender, epistemology
Human capital of young public and political figures: A resource approach
... Sociology. 1988. Vol. 94. Suppl. P. 95—120.
12. Goldthorpe J. H. et al. Social Mobility and Class Structure in Modern Britain. Oxford, 1987.
13. Grusky D. B. The Past, Present, and Future of Social Inequality // Social Stratification. Class, Raсe, and Gender in Sociological Perspective / ed. by D. B. Grusky. Boudler, 2001. P. 3—39.
14. Wright E. O. Class, Structure and Income Determination. N. Y. 1979.
https://journals.kantianhuman capital, resource-based approach, the young political ...
Social media interfaces as a representation of cultural meanings
... analysed Facebook and VKontakte – two large social media platforms originating from the countries with different cultural values and social expectations. My focus was on the principal categories of identification and virtual self-presentation. These are gender, sexuality, marital status, attitudes, and personal preferences. The comparative analysis of interfaces was carried out from the perspective of a change in the linguistic projection (which happens when the user switches from Russian to English ...
A triune community: Fichte’s family law against the background of Kant’s practical philosophy (I)
... a natural-and-moral community of sexes, which only subsequently assumes a legal form through the principle of law. Fichte’s viewpoint is juxtaposed with Kant’s concept of family law complemented by Kant’s ideas on the metaphysics and ethics of gender and love, as well as Schopenhauer’s doctrine, which can be seen as a naturalistic profanation of Fichtean metaphysics of love. According to Fichte, sexual appeal takes on the shape of a self-sacrificing impulse of love in the soul and in the ...
Mary Crawford Fraser and Alice Mabel Bacon on the Japanese society of the late 19th/early 20th century
... половине XX века: структура, роль, особенности // История и культура традиционной Японии. Вып. 4. М., 2011. С. 184—204.
Mary Crawford Fraser, Alice Mabel Bacon, gender, Japanese society
Some features of external migration processes in the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia
... though there has been some equalization of gender disparities due to the outflow of the female population. The other recipient regions are characterized by a 'rejuvenation' of the population age structure and at the same time by worsening gender disparities. Applicants to universities and colleges are likely to leave for other regions of the Russian Federation (to the greatest extent this is typical for the northern regions). St. Petersburg, and to a lesser extent Rostov and Kaliningrad ...
Social conflicts as seen by residents of Saint Petersburg: An empirical study
... (2008—2011 gg.) [The danger of social conflict in the minds of the inhabitants of the metropolis (2008—2011 biennium)], Vestnik SPbGU [Bulletin of St. Petersburg State University], Ser. 6, no. 4, p. 78—89.
8. Eichenberg, R. C., Stoll, R. J. 2012, Gender Difference or Parallel Publics? The Dynamics of Defense Spending Opinions it the United States, 1965—2007, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol. 56, no. 2, p. 331—348.
9. Foster, J. B., Holleman, H. 2012, Weber and the Environment Classical ...
Social Facilitation: the Kaliningrad Region and Russian Mainland Regions
... conditions. The results suggest a disharmonic and inconsistent structure of competence in social facilitation, low motivation for social
activity in youth, and a narrow range of ideas about possible areas of personal activities in the current conditions. Gender differences are identified in the level and structure of competence. The authors believe that certain differences in competence components identified through mathematical methods are determined by the geographical characteristics of the Kaliningrad ...
New stage in the development of political science in Russia
... Rosendorff, P. B., Vreeland, J. R. 2014, Measuring Transparency, Political Analysis, Vol. 22, no. 4, p. 413—434.
14. Mahoney, J., Thelen, K. 2015, Advances in Comparative-Historical Analysis, Cambridge University Press.
15. Shames, S. L., Wise, T. 2017, Gender, Diversity, and Methods in Political Science: A Theory of Selection and Survival Biases, PS: Political Science & Politics, Vol. 50, no. 3, p. 811—823.
16. Gaman-Golutvina, O. 2007, Political Elites in the Commonwealth of Independent States: ...
he new formula of the liver volume calculation: the integration into the automatic ultrasound diagnostic work station (AWS) "Assistant"
... Доротенко А. Ю. Морфометрия при гепатомегалии // Эхография. 2004. Т. 5, № 1. С. 88—89.
17. Chouker A., Martignoni A., Dugas M. et al. Estimation of Liver Size for Liver Transplantation: The Impact of Age and Gender // Liver Transplantation. 2004. Vol. 10, № 5. P. 678—685.
Izranov V. A., Martinovich M. V., Kazantseva N. V. T
the thickness of the right lobe (TRL) of the liver, the oblique vertical dimension (OVD), the cranio-caudal size of the left lobe ...
The ultrasound volumetry: selecting optimal formula based on linear liver dimensions (ex vivo study)
... determine liver volume from simple linear ultrasound measurements of the liver // Radiography. 2016. Vol. 22. P. 125—130.
14. Chouker A., Martignoni A., Martin Dugas M. et al. Estimation of Liver Size for Liver Transplantation: The Impact of Age and Gender // Liver Transplantation. 2004. Vol. 10, № 5. P. 678—685.
15. D’OnofrioM., De Robertis R., Demozzi E. et al. Liver volumetry: Is imaging reliable? Personal experience and review of the literature // WJR. 2014. Vol. 6(4). P. 62—71.
16. Elstein ...
The Relationship between Heart Rhythm Variability and the Heart Rate in Adolescents and Young Adults
... relationship between heart rate variability and heart rate // Hypertension. 2014. Vol. 64 (6). P. 1334—1343.
16. Umetani K., Singer D.H., McCraty R., Atkinson M. Twenty-four hour time domain heart rate variability and heart rate: relations to age and gender over nine decades // J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1998. Vol. 31 (3). P. 593—601.
17. Holzman J.B., Bridgett D.J. Heart rate variability indices as bio-markers of topdown self-regulatory mechanisms: a meta-analytic review // Neurosci Biobehav. Rev. 2017....
The Masonic Word: Types and Functions
... abduction of William Morgan... With all the degrees of the order conferred in a Master's Lodge, as written by Captain William Morgan... with notes and critical remarks. Utica, 1829.
8. Biagetti S. The Only Universal Monarchy. Freemasonry, Ritual, and Gender in Revolutionary Rhode Island, 1749—1803. Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences / Columbia University. N. Y., 2015.
9. Bogdan H., Snoek J. A. M....
Estimating the accuracy of standard volume calculations using liver volumetry
... equation to determine liver volume from simple linear ultrasound measurements of the liver // Radiography. 2016. Vol. 22. P. 125—130.
7. Chouker A., Martignoni A., Dugas M. et al. Estimation of Liver Size for Liver Transplantation: The Impact of Age and Gender // Liver Transplantation. 2004. Vol. 10, № 5 (May). P. 678—685.
8. DeLand F. H., North W. A. Relationship between liver size and body size // Radiology. 1968. Vol. 91(6). P. 1195—1198.
9. Fu-Gui L, Lu-Nan Y, Bo L. et al. Estimation of standard ...
Translation of sociolect texts
... of sociolectics]. Moscow: Elpis (in Russ.).
Maslennikova, E., 2014. Khudozhestvennyi perevod: novoe o starom [Literary translation: new about the old]. Tver, Tverskoi gosudarstvennyi universitet (in Russ.).
Medvedeva, T., 2012. «And again about gender: he says, she says...». Bulletin of Moscow State Linguistic University, 1(634), pp. 113—121.
Neubert, A., 1968. Pragmatische Aspekte der Übersetzung. In: A. Neubert, ed. Grundfragen der Übersetzungswissenschaft (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift Fremdsprachen ...
Countries of the Baltic Region in the Global Culinary Space
... strategies of cities of Russia, EKO, no. 3, p. 91—103. (In Russ.)
7. Tripadvisor. Russia, 2017, available at: http: //
8. Aguilar-Rodríguez, S. 2007, Cooking Modernity: Nutrition Policies, Class, and Gender in 1940s and 1950s Mexico City, The Americas, Vol. 64, no. 2, p. 177—205.
9. Beardsworth, A., Keil, T. 1997, Sociology on the Menu. An invitation to the study of food and society, London and New York.
10. Ceccarini, R. 2012, Pizza and Pizza Chefs ...
Billionaires and Millionaires of the Baltic Sea Region: A Comparative Analysis of National Business Elites
... the global division of labour. Drawing on a sizeable body of statistics, the author conducts a comparative analysis of the Baltic states’ financial elites. The author considers such characteristics of business elites as their number, total wealth, gender composition, average number of children in their families, geographical distribution, global mobility, industry specialization, a tendency towards oligarchy, and others. Germany’s business elites are strong and are characterized by considerable ...
Young ‘s body mass index and its im¬pact on the frequency and variability of the heart rhythm at quiet and after phy¬sical load
.... et al. Dietary sodium influences the effect of mental stress on heart rate variability: a randomized trial in healthy adults // J. Hypertens. 2014. Vol. 32 (2). P. 374—382.
8. Antelmi I., de Paula R. S., Shinzato A. R. et al. Influence of age, gender, body mass index, and functional capacity on heart rate variability in a cohort of subjects without heart disease// Am. J. Cardiol. 2004. Vol. 93 (3). P. 381—385.
9. Aune D., Sen A., o'Hartaigh B. et al. Resting heart rate and the risk of cardiovascular ...