Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
The existing theoretical and empirical literature focusing on interconnections between international trade, trade liberalisation, and economic development provides ample evidence pertaining to nations and industries. However, another dimension of trade liberalisation — the assessment of the level of national or regional development — needs further ...
Trends in the development of cross-border trade in the Russian-Finnish borderlands
This article considers the development of cross-border trade and tourism in the Russian- Finnish borderlands in the 19th/21st centuries. We describe the evolution of cross-border trade in the Russian-Finnish borderlands at different stages of the territory’s development. The patterns of cross-border trade ...
Competitive effects of low trade barriers: evaluations for the Kaliningrad region
International trade is an important factor affecting competition in domestic markets. Considering the vastness of Russian territory, one can expect the pro-competitive effect to vary from region to region. This analysis tests the hypothesis that the unique geographical ...
On the establishment and early activity of the Soviet consulate in Königsberg (1923—1925)
.... The author considers the adverse political conditions under which Soviet diplomats were compelled to operate in Germany. The conclusion is that the principal line of Yu. S. Boshkovich’s activity concerned preparations for the opening of the USSR trade mission in Königsberg, as well as ensuring strong representation of Soviet foreign trade associations at the Eastern Fair.
1. Ustav konsul'skij [Consular Charter], 1903, Svod zakonov Rossijskoj imperii [Code of Laws of the Russian Empire], Saint ...
The impact of Russia’s counter-sanctions on Lithuania’s foreign economic activities
This article explores Russian-Lithuanian trade relations under the EU sanctions against Russia and Russian counter-sanctions. The authors identify changes in the structure of foreign economic activities and examine the main trends, features and problems of trade. The authors analyse transformations ...
Country Competitiveness: an Empirical Study
... conditions have proven important for economic success throughout history. Individual competitiveness and business competitiveness are commonly talked about. The author analyses the overall economic competitiveness of countries. The author argues that trade is subject to various factors, including entrepreneurship and economic openness. Competitiveness is analysed in this current research, using IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook data for 55 countries in the estimation sample. This unique research ...
Trade in the Kaliningrad region: methods of evaluation
The article suggests a new methodological approach to assessing business activity in retail trade in the Kaliningrad region. The authors present a methodology for calculating the regional index of business activity in retail trade, taking into account the specificity of the Kaliningrad region. Indicators of retail business activity in the region ...
Fishing in Novgorod and Pskov Governorates and the related trades (the second half of the 19th/the beginning of the 20th centuries)
This article uses published sources and literature to study the condition of peasant fishing trade in Novgorod and Pskov Governorates in the second half of the 19th/the beginning of the 20th centuries. The work focuses on analyzing the role of fishing trade in the peasant agriculture. The article describes the socioeconomic and environmental ...
The role of trade and economic factors in English-Russian relations of the second half the of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century
... state-to-state relations in the second half of the 19th/ beginning of the 20th century are distinguished by complex character and dramatic shifts from cooperation to confrontation and vice versa. Different circumstances and factors, including the level of trade and economic contacts, affected the condition of English-Russian relations. The author analyses the principal stages of the evolution of trade and economic contacts between Great Britain and Russia from the Crimean war to the agreement of 1907 and ...
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
This article aims to explore the prospects for the development of international trade and the impact of trade on increasing competitiveness of Saint Petersburg. To this end, the authors study the theoretical aspects of regional competitiveness as such, analyse the ten years’ data on the city’s international trade, and explore ...
The openness of the Russian economy: tendencies and international comparison
... Russian economy. It demonstrates that the openness indicators used in the Concept of Long-term Social and Economic Development of the Russian Federation differ from those employed by international organisations. The paper examines the intensity of Russian trade in terms of its gross domestic product and the relatively high barriers in relation to import penetration in Russia. Methodological differences determine the differences in the analysis results.
1. Gosudarstvennyj komitet Rossijskoj Federacii po ...
The development of mutual external commerce of the Baltic Sea region countries as a sign of integration processes in the Baltic Sea Region
.... Канта, 2008.
Yearbook of the
: Federal Statistical Office, 2007. URL: http://www.destatis.de
Profiles 2007 / World Trade Organization. 2007.
International Trade Statistics Yearbook. Vol. 1. UN
сайт университета Миссури, США.
URL: http://www.umsl.edu/ ...
An Attempt to the economic and geographical analysis of the differentiation of the Russian Federation subjects on of the level and dynamics of the retail trade development
The level and dynamics of development of retail trade in the context of the subjects of the Russian Federation are highly differentiated. Differentiation is influenced both by the income level of the population and by other factors, since there is no functional dependence between per capita income ...
Developing and testing a balanced scorecard for a trading company
This article presents a case of developing a balanced performance scorecard for a Kaliningrad trading company. A general solution includes five stages: analysing economic performance, studying dependencies between performance indicators, building strategic map charts, identifying goals and planning relevant measures, and assessing the efficiency of such measures.
1. Каплан Р. С., Нортон Д. П. Сбалансированная система показателей. От стратегии к действию. М., 2005.
2. Внедрение сбалансированной...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... practical significance for the development of research and cultural contacts, cooperation between municipalities and NGOs of the Kaliningrad region and the borderland (Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian) voivodeships of Poland. When considering retail trade as a structural element of economy, it is important to address the differences in the effect LBT has had on the development of this sector in the Kaliningrad region and the neighbouring Polish voivodeships. According to Russian experts, LBT results ...
Foreign trade of the Kaliningrad region: major trends
The author exposes major trends of foreign trade development in the Kaliningrad region in new geopolitical situation, basic features of exports and imports in the exclave region.
деятельность предприятий и организаций ...
Amber as an economic and cultural phenomenon in the history of the Aesti and Prussians
This article emphasises that, in the history of the early Balts (the Aesti and Prussians), amber was a principal means of trade that was exchanged for necessary goods from Europe. In these conditions, amber played a dual role: on the one hand, it stimulated trade connections between the Balts and other peoples, on the other hand, it decelerated their own cultural and technological ...
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
... Vargas, H. 2014, Using the Input-Output Approach to Measure Participation in GVCs: The Case of Costa Rica, Working paper prepared for the IARIW 33rd General Conference Rotterdam, The Netherlands, August 24—30, available at:
. (accessed 29.09.2016).
22. Fedorov, G. M., Korneevets, V. S., Tarasov, I. N., Chasovskiy, V. I. 2015, Russia among the countries of the Baltic region, International Journal ...
The External Economic Factor in the Development of Northwestern Regions: Institutional Support and an Impact Assessment
... exports. The study aims to reveal the connection between the federal district’s external and internal economic development and to identify the extent to which institutional support for international economic cooperation facilitates brisk international trade. The authors consider international trade from the perspective of its procedural and institutional components. The study stresses dependence between the total international trade and internal economic performance of Russia’s North-West. Another ...
Trends in cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarusian regions
This article deals with the possible areas of cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarussian regions. The author identifies the main results of cooperation between the countries in trade, transport, science, and social relations. The article proposes four possible scenarios of cooperation, which can ensure a rational use of the regions’ potentials.
1. Альметова З. В., Подрядова Т. Е., Шеремет А....
Commodity flow model for an exclave region: Rent-seeking in the ‘transitional period’ of the special economic zone
... no. 19.
3. Gareev, T. 2013, The Special economic zone in the Kaliningrad region: development tool or institutional trap? Baltic Journal of Economics, no. 2.
4. Harrigan, F., McGilvray, J. W., McNicoll, I. H. 1981, The Estimation of Interregional Trade Flows, Journal of Regional Science, no. 21(1), p. 65—78.
5. Hewings, G. 1983, Design of Appropriate Accounting Systems for Regional Development In Developing Countries, Papers of the Regional Science Association, no. 51(1), p. 179—195.
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
... cooperation in adjacent areas. Specifically, we focus our attention on the cluster of regions formed by the city of St. Petersburg, the Leningrad region and the Republic of Karelia. All three areas face a number of challenges when it comes to international trade: challenges that are shared and that require strategic coordinated solutions from regional decisionmakers. One of such solutions, for example, could require pooling of competitive advantages of these areas. The analysis of strategic documents of ...
Investigation of operating modes of a mobile solar power plant with non-stationary load
The object of the research is a power supply system based on a solar power plant with a non-stationary load on the example of an automatic trading unit (vending machine Coffemar G-546). The aim of the work is an experimental study of the influence of solar radiation power dynamics on the volume of electricity generated, the study of the energy balance of the test facility, the study of the possibilities and development of recommendations for optimizing energy losses in the low-voltage mode of the...
Motivations of Russian firms to invest abroad: how do sanctions affect Russia’s outward foreign direct investment?
... (accessed 15.03.2015).
7. The World Factbook, 2015, available at: https://www.cia.gov/library/ publications/the-world-factbook/ (accessed 15.03.2015).
8. Vneshnjaja torgovlja Rossijskoj Federacii po osnovnym stranam za janvar'- maj 2015 g. [Foreign Trade of the Russian Federation on the main countries in January-May 2015], 2015, Customs Russia, available at: www.customs.ru (accessed 14.05.2015).
9. Devinney, T. M., Midgley, D. F., Venaik, S. 2002, Managerial Beliefs, Market Contestability and Dominant ...
Current problems in Russian-Latvian relations
... in its relations with Russia. Today, relations between the two countries are often viewed through the prism of EU — Russia relations. Nonetheless, they often do not fit this context. Settling differences between Latvia and Russia will contribute to trade relations, which are increasingly important for both parties. In order to prevent and localise emerging conflicts, diplomats, politicians, and experts should interpret Russian-Latvian relations in view of the national features without referring ...
Regional aspects of international tourism (1960—1980s)
The author explores various aspects of international tourism in the Soviet Union. The article focuses on the main forms and methods used by the Kaliningrad Regional Trade Union Council for the development of international tourism. The author analyses archive materials describing the preparation, organization and reporting of tourist trips abroad and attempts to reconstruct behavior patterns of Soviet tourists abroad ...
EU — Russia Economic and Trade Cooperation: Сurrent State and Prospects / I. A. Maksimtsev, A. V. Koroleva, N. P.Sirota — Saint Petersburg: UNECON publishing house, 2016
Mezhevich N. M., Chukalova N. S.
The basic trends in the development of bilateral trade between the Kaliningrad and Grodno regions
This article examines foreign trade activities between the cooperating regions of the Union State of Russia and Belarus determined by the bilateral convergence of national economies for solving common economic problems and developing regional economies. The author identifies the degree ...
Trends in the development of economic activity in the Kaliningrad region in 1992 – 2010.
... economic activity (FEA) development in the Kaliningrad region in 1992-2010 taking into account the effect of economic crisis. The article offers most typical characteristics of each stage, as well as the reasons behind the current trends in foreign trade development. The author makes proposals regarding the adjustment of measures aimed at FEA development in the region.
1. Бородавкина Н. Ю. Воздействие внешнеэкономической деятельности на приграничное ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... tradition and modernity], Moscow — Smolensk, 347 p.
3. Bolychev, О. N. 2009, Differenciacija Baltijskogo regiona po urovnju i tempam razvitija roznichnoj torgovli [Differentiation of the Baltic region in the level and pace of development of retail trade], Region sotrudnichestva [Region cooperation], no.1 (53), p. 16—25.
4. Bolychev, O., Mikhailov, A. 2014, Network Transformations in Economy, Balt. Reg., no. 3 (21). DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-3-3.
5. Bolychev, О. N. 2013, Territorial'naja ...
Peculiarities of Transboundary Cooperation between the Kaliningrad Region’s Business Entities
This article reveals various aspects of regional transboundary cooperation including foreign trade, investment climate, and implementation of transboundary infrastructure projects financed by European funds. The analysis conducted is based on the results of transboundary cooperation with the participation of Kaliningrad business entities. The ...
An economic complexity analysis of the Kaliningrad region: identifying sectoral priorities in the emerging value creation paradigm
..., a basic methodology and special software were developed within this study. The object of the research is the exclave Kaliningrad region, whose location makes it possible to capture accurate and comprehensive data on international and interregional trade. Based on the EC analysis theory and practice, the study involved the development of methods, algorithms, and software to form a source database and measure economic complexity. The findings may guide the use of EC analyses in regional policies....
Competitiveness of the region: content, factors, policies
Конкурентоспособность и модернизация российской экономики. Начало проекта / Государственный университет-Высшая школа экономики. М., 2004.
Trade Liberalization with Eastern Nations: How Sensitive? // Faini R and Portes R (eds) Eurropean Union Trade with
: Adjustment and Opportunities.
, CEPR, 1995.
Stiglitz J., Hoff K.
The Transition from Communism: ...
The historical aspects and current issues of the development of Russian-Lithuanian economic relations
... polveka novoj epohi [Lithuania for half a century of a new era], Vilnius, Mintis.
9. Kazhdan, V. М. 1970, Vneshnjaja torgovlja burzhuaznoj Litvy (1920—40 gg.) i uchastie Litovskoj SSR vo vneshnej torgovle Sovetskogo Sojuza (1960—68 gg.). [Foreign trade of bourgeois Lithuania (1920—40 gg.) And the participation of the Lithuanian SSR in the foreign trade of the Soviet Union (1960—68)], the author's abstract of the dissertation, Moscow.
10. Pokazateli sostojanija otdel'nyh otraslej narodnogo ...
Logistics management and its application for interregional trade
The article reveals major tasks and logistics trends as one of instruments for effective management.
Borisova V. V.
management, logistical management, logistics, interregional barter, enterprise logistics.
Russian foreign trade and integration processes in the Baltic region
The article revue s issue of Russian foreign trade on Baltics. Special attention is given to the major role of the Baltic Sea macroregion in the process of economic integration of Russia into the Common European Economic Space.
Экономическое сотрудничество ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... September 2012).
3. Interv'ju Torgovogo predstavitelja Rossii v Finljandii Valerija Shljamina informacionnomu agentstvu ITAR-TASS [Interv'ju Torgovogo predstavitelja Rossii v Finljandii Valerija Shljamina informacionnomu agentstvu ITAR-TASS], 2011, The Trade Representation of the Russian Federation in Finland, February, available at: http://www. rusfintrade. ru/site/article/1285 (accessed 07 September 2012).
4. Torgovye predstavitel'stva: Norvegija [Trade missions Norway], Informacionnaja sistema torgovyh ...
Passages from the history of the Kaliningrad region: The first sitting of the Königsberg regional Office for Civil Affairs on June 26—27, 1946
... civil and military authorities. Different models of relations between the military and civil administrative structures developed in the region’s towns and districts. The meeting also discussed the position of the German population and the flaws of trade and communication organization.
1. Российский государственный архив социально-политической истории (РГАСПИ). Ф. 17. Центральный Комитет КПСС. Оп. 122. Оргинструкторский ...
Russia's accession to the WTO as an important factor of the country's integration into the world economy
... Federal State Statistics Service, available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat/rosstatsite.eng/ (accessed on 10.07.2011).
5. Russian Federation Federal Customs Service, available at: http://eng.
customs.ru/ (accessed 20 August 2011).
6. World Trade Organization, available at:www.wto.org (accessed 10 August
World Trade Organization, integration, Global Economy, external economic activities, export, import, foreign investment, constituent entity of the Russian Federation
Theoretical Aspects of Cross-border Integration-based Economic Cooperation
... poles of economic growth to certain elements of government regulation and social reproduction on the international scale. The author examines the key elements and stages of economic integration. These stages assume a number of consecutive forms: free trade zone, customs union, common market, complete economic integration, and economic union. The article shows that the transition occurs from the lowest to the highest stages — from the processes of integration involving, firstly, trade market and ...
Border functions as a factor of development of border regions and the formation of cross-border regions
... границы / под ред. Б. Б. Родомана и Б. М. Эккеля. М., 1982.
12. Cappelin R., Batey P. Regional Networks, Border Regions and European Integration. Pion ; L., 1993.
13. Helliwell J. F. Do national borders matter for Quebec's trade? // Canadian Journal of Economics. 1994. Vol. 29, no. 4. P. 509—522.
14. Linders G. J. M. Intangible barriers to trade : PhD dissertation. Amsterdam, 2006.
15. Martinez O. J. Border People. Arizona, 1994.
16. Nijkamp P., Rietveld P. and Salomon ...
Territorial community local spaces
... Социальная траектория реформируемой России: Исследования Новосибирской экономико-социологической школы. Новосибирск, 1999.
3. Группа компаний «Vector Trade Limited». URL:
(дата обращения: 20.09.2017).
4. Зборовский Г. Е. Теоретические основания изучения социальной общности ...
The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
14. Chaplygin, V., Hughes Hallett, A., Richter, C. 2006, Monetary integration in the ex-Soviet Union: A 'union of four'? The Economics of Transition, Vol. 14, no. 1, p. 47—68.
15. Hughes Hallett, A., Martinez Oliva, J. C. 2013, The Importance of Trade and Capital Imbalances in the European Debt Crisis, Working Paper Series WP13—01, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
16. Lindberg, L. 1963, The Political Dynamics of European Economic Integration. Stanford, Calif., Stanford University ...
Interregional and cross-country flows of labor resources in the Kaliningrad region: factors and vectors in the contemporary Eurasian context
... последствий трудовой миграции для принимающей мигрантов территории // Региональные исследования. 2016. № 2 (52). С. 66—71.
7. Ghatak S., Pop-Silaghi M. I., Daly V. Trade and migration flows between some CEE countries and the UK // Journal of International Trade & Economic Development. 2009. Vol. 18. P. 61—78.
8. White R. Immigrant-trade links, transplanted home bias and network effects // Applied Economics. 2007....
Russian-Estonian Economic and Investment Cooperation During the Crisis: Dynamics and Possibilities
... development in Russian-Estonian relations during the crises of 2007 and 2014, taking into consideration the balance between political and economic factors in the decision-making by Estonian government. A number of special aspects, trends and problems in trade and investment ties are detected. The aim of the study is to uncover key motivation behind the actions of both Russia and Estonia, to identify the drivers for economic and political development in the region, and to work out recommendations to adjust ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
9. Union of the Baltic cities, available at:
10. Kropotkin, P. A. 2002. In: Balandina, R. K. (Compil. and Preface) Anarkhiya [Anarchy], Moscow, 576 p. (In Russ.)
11. Lesnikov, M. P. 1948, The Hanseatic trade in furs at the beginning of the 15th century, Uchenye zapiski Moskovskogo gorodskogo pedagogicheskogo instituta im. V. P. Potemkina [Scientific notes of the Moscow city pedagogical institute], Vol. VIII, p. 61—93. (In Russ.)
12. Volk, Е. S. 2004,...
The origins of tour activities in the Kaliningrad region (second halfof the 1960s)
This article examines organizational and material resources behind the emergence of tour activities as a field of tourism in the Kaliningrad region. Based on the archive materials of the Regional Trade Unions Council and the Regional Tourism Board and existing tours, the author studies decision on the establishment and functioning of tour agencies and analyses the methods and key areas of their operation in the second half of the 1960s.
Russo-German Trade Treaty of 1904
1. Витте С. Ю. Воспоминания: в 3 т. Минск, М., 2002. Т. 1.
2. Копычев Н. И. Таможенный тариф 1902 года и русско-германские отношения // Учен. зап. Псковского гос. пед. института. Псков, 1964. Вып. 19.
3. Острецова М. Л. Русско-германский торговый договор 1904 года // Учен.зап. Московского государственного педагогического института им. В. М. Потемкина. М., 1959. Т. 92 (93).
4. Субботин Ю. Ф. Россия и Германия: партнеры и противники (торговые отношения в конце XIX века — 1914). М., 1996. ...
The functional approach to managing regional foreign economic activity
... продукции в Российской Федерации №
от 14 октября 2003 г // Официальный сайт Министерства промышленности и торговли РФ.
экспорта // Официальный сайт Министерства экономики Калининградской области.
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... having specific characteristics. The authors focus on the stages, during which border regions build their competitiveness, as well as analyse certain indices characterizing it. They examine the role of these regions in the development of international trade and economic relations, cross-border cooperation and international integration, taking the North-west federal district and the Republic of Karelia as a case-study. The article describes the mechanisms of building and increasing competitiveness of ...