The “Polish question” in Soviet-German relations in the second half of the 1920s (based on the materials of the USSR consulate in Königsberg)
On the basis of earlier unknown documents of the Soviet consulate in Königsberg retrieved from the Archive of the Foreign Policy of the Russian Federation, the author analyses relations between the USSR and Germany in 1925—1930. The author focuses on the role of the “Polish question”, which largely affected the nature of bilateral relations. The consulate documents indicate that Soviet diplomacy aspired to exploit the differences between Poland ...
On the establishment and early activity of the Soviet consulate in Königsberg (1923—1925)
... documents from the Central Russian archives and the Political archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany, the author describes the establishment of the Soviet Consulate in Königsberg in 1923 and the contribution of the first Consul of the USSR in East Prussia, Yulian Boshkovich, to the development of bilateral relations in 1923—1925. The author considers the adverse political conditions under which Soviet diplomats were compelled to operate in Germany. The conclusion is that the principal ...
The US marine fleet in the context of lend-lease deliveries to Great Britain and the USSR during World War II : the development programme and travel routes
This article focuses on the formation and implementation of the programmе of development of US fleet during World War II for providing military and economic support to the anti-Hitler coalition — Great Britain and the USSR. The author considers the most typical projects of marine transport vessels built at US shipyards, the main routes of travel from the USA and Great Britain to the USSR in the framework of the end-lease programme.
1. Блэйр К. Подводная ...
Current Issues in the Geodemographic Studies in Russia
The article takes stock of the “state of affairs” in contemporary research of geographical demography in the USSR and the RF. The issue, concludes the author, has not received sufficient attention, and the use of geodemographic studies in managing regional development remains limited. This article aims to demonstrate three things: the importance of geodemographic ...
The position of international community on the restoration of independence of the Baltic States
... politics. The scientific and practical significance of the article lies in a scientific evaluation of the Soviet-Baltic relations in 1989—1991. This study can help understand the mechanisms of formulation of foreign policy by the USA, Germany, and the USSR, as well as the practice of political interaction between these countries and the Baltic States. The materials and conclusions of this article can be used for further research on the foreign policies of the USA, Germany, the USSR, and the Baltic ...
The “illegal” branch of the Russian national patriotic opposition in the USSR: the case of the All-Russian Social-Christian Union for the Liberation of the People
... Liberation of the People, which operated in the Soviet Union in the 1960s. The author examines the ideological basis, program, composition, and structure of the Union and describes the role of the organization in Russian national-patriotic opposition in the USSR.
1. ВСХСОН : программа. Суд. В тюрьмах и лагерях. Париж, 1975.
2. ВСХСОН : материалы суда и программа. Франкфурт-на-Майне, 1976.
3. Бородин Л.И. Без ...
The development of a 1946 draft decree of the USSR Council of Ministers on populating the agricultural areas of the Kaliningrad region
This article examines the development of draft resolutions of the USSR Council of Ministers “On the Priority Measures for the Population of Districts and the Development of Agriculture in the Kaliningrad Region.” The author considers the reasons behind a reduction in financial benefits and food support for settlers ...
The response of different plant life forms to natural environment changes
..., J. 2006. Change of temperature for the last 15 years in Berlin- Dahlem.[online] Available at: <Berliner-Wetterkarte. de> (Accessed 8 Oktober 2010).
4. Pusachenko, Y. G., Skulin, V. S. 1981. The vegetation structure of the forest zone of the USSR. The system analysis. Nauka. Moscow. 344 p.
5. Sergeev L. I., Sergeeva K. A., Melnikov V. K. 1963. Some questions of the water mode of the tree plants. Water mode of plants in the connection with metabolism and productivity. AS USSR. Moscow, pp....
The historical aspects and current issues of the development of Russian-Lithuanian economic relations
... However, young Lithuanian Republic gravitated towards the West, severing ties with the Russian market. However, the initiatives of Lithuanian authorities did not result in successful state building, and the economic situation remained unchanged. The USSR leadership made an effort to improve the living conditions in post-war Lithuania. There were some mistakes made in the relations with the local population that resulted in Lithuanians’ resistance to sovietisation. However, in the conditions of ...
Finland’s policy towards the USSR in the 1980s—at the beginning of the 1990s in the Finnish historiography
The article is a review of the body of literature published in Finland during the 1990s — 2010s, describing the evolution of Finland's foreign policy towards the USSR in the last decade of the Cold War. The author identifies chronological stages of the study of Finland’s policy towards the Soviet Union and analyses the most relevant themes, which were the subject of attention of Finnish historians and historiographers....
Legal regime for church property in Russia and the Baltic states
In this article, we carry out a comparative analysis of the legal regimes for church property in the Baltic States and in Russia after the demise of the USSR,. We stress the significance of this problem for the newly established relations between the state and the religious organisations, for the conclusion of agreements between these actors, and for the development of the ideas of interdenominational ...
Exulton-like solution and two phase of collapse of an intrusive lens
et al. // J. Geophys. Res. 1982. V. 87 №
61. P. 385.
G., Rodionov V.
Coastle Upwelling Zones — a Source of Intrathermocline Eddy Formation, in Intrathermocline Eddies in the Ocean (Academy of sciences of the
P. Shirshov institute of oceanology,
. Armi L.,
Kitamura Yo, Nagata Yu.
// J. of the Ocean. Sosiet. of
. 1983. V. 39. P. 89.
The innovative aspects of the fishing fleet development in the Russian exclave region
... revival of industrial fishing in the Kaliningrad region.
1. Goldman, I. M., Teplitsky, V. A. 1968, Organizacija kommercheskoj raboty flota i portov rybnoj promyshlennosti SSSR [The organization of the commercial fishing
fleet and the port industry of the USSR], Moscow, Piwevaja promyshlennost'.
2. Sysoev, N. P. 1989, Jekonomika rybnoj promyshlennosti [Economics of Fisheries], Moscow, VO «Agropromizdat».
3. Sysoev, N. P. 1992, Rybnoe hozjajstvo SSSR i Rossii (za 1990—1991 gg. —sostojanie i perspektivy) ...
The issues of the post-war demobilization of military officers (1945—1948)
The article analyses demobilization of officers of the USSR armed forces after the Great Patriotic war in 1945—1948. Six mobilization rounds were carried out to reduce the size of the Armed Forces during this period, and more than 1.3 million officers were dismissed. The original idea was to retain the ...
Geopolitical transformation of the Kaliningrad oblast of the Russian Federation
... the World War II, the part of East Prussia taken by the Soviet Union was transformed into a gigantic Soviet military base. It performed the functions of the outpost in the West on the one hand; and on the other hand, of the barrier which helped the USSR to ensure the dependence of the Eastern Baltics and domination in Poland. After the Cold War, Kaliningrad Oblast, a territory of 15,000 square metres with a population of nearly one million people, owned by the Russian Federation and located the ...
Human Resources of Post-war Lithuania and Their Role in the Rebuilding of Klaipeda
... jekonomiki Sovetskoj Litvy [Economic growth of Soviet Lithuania], Vilnius.
2. Shadzhyus, G. 1972, Istorija Litvy 1918—1940 gg. v burzhuaznoj istoriografii [History of Lithuania in 1918—1940. in bourgeois historiography]. Istorija SSSR [History of the USSR], no. 5.
3. Pjatiletie Sovetskoj Litvy [Five years of Soviet Lithuania], LCVA, F, R-755, Ap. 2, b. 34.
4. Balans trudovyh rezervov v LSSR [Balance of labor reserves in the Lithuanian SSR], LCVA, F, R-755. Ap. 2, b. 143.
5. Shadzhyus, G. 1970, ...
The interaction between Lithuania and the USSR in 1920: disputable aspects
... Кривошеева. М., 2001. URL: http://lib.ru/MEMUARY/1939—1945/KRIWOSHEEW/poteri.txt (дата обращения: 30.09.2012).
17. Natkevičius L. Aspect politique et juridique du différend polono-lithuanien.Kaunas, 1930.
Mankevich M. A.
Lithuania, USSR, Poland, international relations, Soviet-Polish war, neutrality, Vilnius issue, Moscow Peace Treaty.
State archive institutions in Russia as part of the party and public administration in the 1960-1980s
This article addresses the problem of development of state archive institutions in Russian in the period of developed socialism in the USSR. It is shown that, despite certain professional achievements, Russian state archives were faced with unfavourable conditions explained by the ideological and political requirements of the Soviet party and state mechanism. The issue of the inequality ...
The development of legislation on local self-government in the USSR and Russia in 1983—1993
This article analyses the historical prerequisites for the development of the legal framework for local self-governance in the last years of the USSR and RSFSR and the first years of the Russian Federation, as well as its role in the political system and the social life of modern Russia. The author identifies the key contradictions in power relations between public and local authorities.
1. Конституция ...
Kant’s fundamental idea of state and law in Pushkin’s Boris Godunov
... Voprosy teoreticheskogo naslediya Immanuila Kanta. Vyp. 4 [Questions theoretical legacy of Immanuel Kant. Vol. 4], Kaliningrad.
3. Blagoj D. D., 1950, Tvorcheskij put' Pushkina (1813—1826) [Creative way of Pushkin (1813—1826)]. Moscow-Leningrad, USSR Academy of Sciences Publishing.
4. Vinokur G. O., 1999, Kommentarii k «Borisu Godunovu» A. S. Pushkina [Comments to "Boris Godunov" A. S. Pushkin]. Moscow.
5. Gukovskij G. A., 1957, Pushkin i problemy realisticheskogo stilya [Pushkin ...
Crimea in the legacy of B. D. Grekov, fellow of the Academy of Sciences
... Last Move and the Scythian Uprising on Bhaipuri" for the History of Our Country. Vestnik drevnei istorii [Bulletin of Ancient History], 1.
7. Grekov, B. D., Bromlei, Yu. V., 1952. The study of history of Crimea. Vestnik AN SSSR [Bulletin of the USSR Academy of Sciences], 8.
8. Dubrovskii, A. M., 2005. Istorik i vlast': istoricheskaya nauka v SSSR i kontseptsiya istorii feodal'noi Rossii v kontekste politiki i ideologii (1930—1950-e gg.) [The historian and power: historical science in the ...
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
... idei, reshenija, instituty [National-Cultural Autonomy: ideas, solutions, institutions], Saint Petersburg.
7. Pokshishevsky, V. V. 1969, Jetnicheskie processy v gorodah SSSR i nekotorye problemy ih izuchenija [Ethnic processes in the cities of the USSR and some
problems in their study], Sovetskaja jetnografija [Soviet ethnography], March-April, no. 5, p. 3—15.
8. Sokolovsky, S. V. 2004, Perspektivy razvitija koncepcii jetnonacional'noj politiki v Rossijskoj Federacii [Prospects of development ...
Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation
... towards the knowledge economy], Moscow, 544 p.
11. Postanovlenie CK KPSS, Sovmina SSSR ot 20 marta 1974 g. № 206
«O merah po dal'nejshemu razvitiju sel'skogo hozjajstva Nechernozemnoj zony RSFSR» [Resolution of the CPSU Central Committee and USSR Council of Ministers on March 20, 1974 N 206 «On measures for further development of agriculture chernozem zone of the RSFSR»], 1974. In: Sobranie postanovlenij pravitel'stva SSSR [Meeting government regulations USSR], no. 9, Art. 39.
Geopolitical and Geo-economic Changes in the Baltic Sea Region at the Turn of the XX—XXI centuries
..., there are eight EU countries in the region; six of them are NATO members (Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia), and the same two countries, Sweden and Finland, remain outside the bloc. Russia, the legal successor of the USSR, is neither a NATO, nor an EU member. The authors explore similarities and differences between countries of the Baltic Sea region in terms of their territory, population, GDP, foreign trade turnover and the number of regular armed forces. The article ...
Russian Socio-Economic Geography: Status, Challenges, Perspectives
... Gritsay, О. V., Treyvish, А. I. 1990, Centr i periferija: stadial'nye koncepcii regional'nogo razvitija [Centre and Periphery: stadial concept of regional development], Izvestija AN SSSR. Serija. Geografija [Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Series Geography], no. 4, p. 86—97.
7. Kotlyakov, V. М., Preobrazhenskiy, V. S. 1992, S chem my podhodim k rubezham novogo veka (o nekotoryh chertah mentaliteta otechestvennyh geografov) [What we approach the turn of the century (some features ...
The Vilnius issue in international relations: the historiography of the problem
... parlamentinė patirtis: sprendimų politika, tikslai, aplinkybės [1920—1922 years of Parliamentary experience: policy decisions, objectives, circumstances], Vilnius,
41. Butkus, Z. 1999, The diplomatic cooperation between Germany and the USSR in the Baltic States in 1920—1940, Lithuanian Foreign Policy Review, no. 3, available at: http://www.lfpr.lt/uploads/File/1999-3/Butkus. pdf (accessed 25 February 2012).
Lithuania, Poland, USSR, League of Nations, historiography,...
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
... A. 1991, Demograficheskaja situacija i rasselenie [Demographic situation and the resettlement]. Moscow, 133 p.
4. Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. Veldanova, I. Yu. 1982, Migracija sel'skogo naselenija SSSR v goroda [Migration of the rural population of the USSR in the city]. In: Rasselenie naselenija i razmeshhenie proizvodstva [Resettlement of the population and the location of production], Moscow, p. 108—129.
5. Karachurina, L. B., Mkrtchyan, N. V. 2013, Izmenenie chislennosti naselenija administrativnyh ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... 148—161. (In Russ.)
18. Druzhinin, A. G., Druzhinina, S.S, 1989, Economic-geographical aspects of coastal settlement studies (based on the Rostov region). In: Yuzhnye morya SSSR: geograficheskie problemy issledovaniya i osvoeniya [Southern seas of the USSR: geographical problems of research and development], Leningrad, p. 133—141. (In Russ.)
19. Druzhinin, A. G. 2016, "The sea component of" social geography of Russia: traditions and innovations, Izvestiya RAS. Seriya geograficheskaya, p....
USSR and Lithuania in World War II
okupacija ir aneksija 1939/1940. Dokumentų rinkinys. Vilnius, 1993.
и Литовская Республика (март 1939 — август 1940 гг.). Сборник документов. Вильнюс, 2006.
http://www. voruta. lt/article. php?article=1325
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... segments of Russia’s coastal zone.
1. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki [The Civilization and the great historical rivers], 362 p.
2. Shokal'skiy, Yu. M. 1924, Sever SSSR i ego znachenie dlya Respubliki [North of the USSR and its importance for the Republic], Izvestiya Gosudarstvennogo geograficheskogo obshchestva, T. 56, P. 154—161.
3. Bernshteyn-Kogan, S. V. 1930, Ocherki geografii transporta [Essays on Geography of Transport], Moskva — Leningrad, 348 p.
«Political banditism» at the north-western border of the Soviet state in the 1920s
This article deals with the profound changes in the political, social and economic spheres in the USSR that resulted from the growth of oppositional attitudes and banditism in the country. These circumstances led to the necessity to increase the efficiency of the State Political Directorate.
архив Федеральной ...
Unknown Chapter in History of Russian Research
This article deals with the history of the first regional cross-industry development model in the USSR, which was implemented in the Kaliningrad region.
Баланс народного хозяйства СССР — методологический разбор работы ЦСУ // Плановые хозяйство....
Post-war Repatriation of the Japanese from Southern Sakhalin
архив Сахалинской области. Ф. 459. Оп. 3.
центр документации новейшей истории. Ф. П-4. Оп. 1.
population of the USSR after the World War II, the Japanese, repatriation,
Migration in the Kaliningrad region reflected in the 1989—2015 censuses and microcensuses
The Kaliningrad region stands out for its history and geographical location. In the post-war period, the region was completely repopulated. People from many parts of Russia and other republics of the former USSR were recruited to develop the new territory. Although demographic processes and migration in the Kaliningrad region have been studied in detail, we believe that census and micro-census data can significantly advance the current knowledge of this ...
Two civilizations: the relations of Russia and Western Europe at the beginning of the 21st century
... challenges of building relations between two different civilizations, which Samuel Huntington and Lev Gumilev wrote about, are currently becoming more obvious due to the cardinal geopolitical and geoeconomic changes that have taken place since the demise the USSR and the world socialist system. Today, in the West, as if in contrast to the famous project by Charles de Gaulle —“Europe from the Atlantic to the Urals”, an extremely negative image of Russia is being formed. Western ideologists stick to the ...
Organisation and Activity of Police in border areas of North-Western Russia under Reconstruction of Soviet Society
The article casts light on the system of intelligence officer training. The deep changes in the political and socioeconomic life of the USSR resulted in the growth of opposition attitudes. It necessitated higher efficiency of the officers of the National Commissariat of Home Affairs. The author considers the main forms and methods of the interaction between the law enforcement institutions
Recreational zoning of the territory of the Kaliningrad region
... summary of dissertation for degree of Candidate of Geography. Minsk, 1976.
10. Preobrazhensky V. S., Vedenin Yu. A., Zorin I. V., Mukhina L. I. Territorial recreational system as an object of studying geographical sciences // Izvestiya AN of the
USSR. Series. Geogr. 1974. № 2.
recreational zoning, Kaliningrad region, recreation zone, differentiation factors, tourism, territorial organisation.
The pro-monarch attitudes of the Russian thought in the country and abroad in the 20th century
This article considers the trends of Russian conservative thought in the Soviet Russia and abroad. The subject of research is the orthodox monarchism of leading Russian thinkers and poets in the USSR and abroad in the 1920s-1950s.
Церковь и демократия // Библиотека думающего о России.
Россия распятая ...
The development of nationalist identities in the Baltics: The Latvian aspect
... political identification in Latvia. It is proved that major political groups and parties recognize and proclaim nationalist principles regardless of their basic ideology.
1. Parming T. Nationalism in Soviet Estonia since 1964 // Nationalism in the USSR and Eastern Europe in the era of Brezhnev and Kosygin. Detroit, 1977.
2. Park A. Turning-points of post-communist transition: Lessons from the case of Estonia // Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences 44/3. Tallinn, 1995.
3. Вирккунен ...
City transport in Kaliningrad during the Soviet era: family photo archives
The article attempts to analyse the socio-cultural significance of transport development in the USSR within the framework of ‘visual turn’ in social sciences and the humanities. The author uses family photo archives of the 1950s—1980s, presented in the "People's Album", a digital project of the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University,...
The features of the genesis of modern Lithuanian multiparty system
... Kaunas, 1997.
16. Официальный сайт Центральной избирательной комиссии Литовской Республики. URL: http:www.vrk.lt (дата обращения: 18.03.2013).
collapse of USSR, Lithuania, Sajudis, party system
How did Lithuania draw up its present borders? Part II
... territory during the Soviet period of its history. Facts and factors influencing decisions on the territorial issues of Lithuanian statehood are considered through the prism of relations between the Soviet republics and the central authorities of the USSR. The economic development of Soviet Lithuania was a decisive factor in the republic’s territorial organization and management. By accepting the existing borders in the post-Soviet period Russia showed its aspiration to establish and develop genuinely ...
Financial Support for the Red Army Personnel During the Great Patriotic War
... И. Исаков. М., 2000.
13. Тыл Советских Вооруженных Сил в Великой Отечественной войне
1941—1945 гг. / под общ. ред. С. К. Куркоткина. М., 1977.
Shunyakov D. V.
USSR, Great Patriotic War, People's Commissar of Defense, Red Army, financial security
The demonization of the Red Army as a trend in Western historiography
This article focuses on the reasons behind and attempts at demonising the image of the Red Army in the modern Western historiography. It is concluded that the key factor behind this approach is the aspiration to misrepresent the role of the USSR in the destruction of Hitler’s Germany and the liberation of Europe from the Nazi slavery, which results in the thesis that the entry of the Red Army was not an act of liberation but rather the beginning of a new occupation, which was even worse ...
Kaliningrad and Crimea as Russian exclaves: similarities, differences, and interconnections
... distinctive characteristics of the Kaliningrad region and Crimea (the Crimean federal district) and compares them to other national and international enclaves. Another focus is the evolution of both territories from the national exclaves within the USSR into external ones. The author analyses general characteristics of the Kaliningrad region and Crimea from the perspective of their enclave/ exclave status. On this basis, Crimea is classified as a quasi-enclave. Special attention is given to the ...
The political success of the Baltic People’s Fronts as a result of the 1989—1990 elections
.... Keller B. Lithuanians rally for Stalin victims // New York Times. 1987. 24 Aug.
25. Taagepera R. A note on the March elections in Estonia // Soviet studies. 1990. Vol. 42, № 2. Р. 329—339.
elections, popular front, Perestroika, USSR, Baltics
On certain groups in the Soviet outbound tourism (on the example of the Kaliningrad region)
... groups in the structure of outbound tourism in the Kaliningrad region. For this purpose, the author examines the available archive materials of the Kaliningrad Regional Council of Trade Unions and the Regional Council of CPSU (Communist Party of the USSR), analyzes relevant publications. Particular attention is drawn to the implementation of the mission of tourist groups aboard, following the specialized routs. The author identifies the measures taken by the state organizations dealing with the outbound ...
On the potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations
... litovskoj innovacionnyh struktur [On the prospects of cooperation between Russian and Lithuanian innovation structures], Baltijskij region [Baltic Region], no. 2
(8), p. 80—94. doi: 10.5922/2074-9848-2011-2-8
3. Narodnoe hozjajstvo SSSR v 1988 godu [USSR National Economy in 1988], 1989, Moscow.
4. Programma razvitija federal'nogo gosudarstvennogo avtonomnogo obrazovatel'nogo uchrezhdenija vysshego professional'nogo obrazovanija «Baltijskij federal'nyj
universitet imeni Immanuila Kanta» na 2011—2020 ...
Cultural and landscape zoning in the North- West Russia
... 1970, Dialektnoe chlenenie russkogo jazyka [Dialectal division of the Russian language], Moscow.
2. Isachenko, A. G. and all. 1965, Fiziko-geograficheskoe rajonirovanie Severo-Zapada SSSR [Physical-geographical regionalization of the North-West of the USSR], Leningrad.
3. Kadastr (svod pamjatnikov) «Dostoprimechatel'nye prirodnye i istorikokul'turnye obekty Pskovskoj oblasti» [Inventory (a set of monuments) "Wildlife and historical and cultural sites of the Pskov region"], 1997, Pskov.