The mythical-historical images of Bruno Schulz’s ‘Spring’ in the context of Kafka’s mythologism
Myths and history are different but related forms of consciousness. They date back to the archaic and new periods of world history. New forms of synthesis between history and myths translated in the ‘mythical-historical imagery’ of the 20th-century art. For the first time in the history of world culture, modernism has created a synthesis between the seemingly divergent elements — history and myths. This article analyses Schulz’s short story ‘Spring’ in the context of Franz Kafka’s mythological oeuvre — ‘The Great Wall of China’ and The Trial. The presence of mythical-historical images in their works is a common impulse, which creates a space for versatile mythopoetic interpretations shared by the two authors. The article examines the autonomy and synthesis of myths and history.
1. Toporov, V. N., 2014. History and myths. In: Mifologiya. Stat'i dlya mifologicheskikh entsiklopedii [Mythology. Articles for the mythological encyclopedias]. Moscow. Vol. 1.
2. Berdyaev, N. A., 1990. Smysl istorii. Opyt filosofii chelovecheskoi sud'by [The meaning of history. Experience of the philosophy of human destiny]. Moscow.
3. Berdyaev, N. A., 1990. Krizis iskusstva [Crisis of art]. Moscow.
4. Stavitskii, A. M., 2013. Mifologizatsiya ukrainskoi istorii: smysl i zadachi [Mythologization of history of Ukraine: its sense and tasks]. Available at: http:// rusprostranstvo.com/?p=115 [Accessed 03 March 2017].
5. Tsygankov, A. S., 2014. Social identity and mytho-history: transformational changes in the content of mythology. Izvestiya Saratovskogo universiteta [Proceedings of the Saratov University], 14(3—1), pp. 61—64.
6. Yakovleva, E. L., 2010. Mythological symbol as a specific category of culture. Vestnik Samarskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Samara State University], 7(81), pp. 160—165.
7. Shul'ts, B., 2000. Sanatorii pod Klepsidroi [Sanatorium near Clepsydra]. St. Petersburg.
8. Knigin, I. A., 2006. Slovar' literaturnykh terminov [Dictionary of literary terms]. Available at: http://litterms.ru/[Accessed 03 March 2017].
9. Kafka, F., 2002. Protsess [Process]. St. Ptersburg.
10. Kafka, F., 2005. Kak stroilas' kitaiskaya stena [How the Chinese wall was built]. Moscow.