Translation of new sociological terminology: challenges and solutions
Rapid development of concepts in modern sociology leads to the emergence of a large number of neological terms. Currently, the academic language of Russian sociology sees an active expansion of foreign language terminology and translated terms reflecting changes in the English-language social ...
Inter-organizational networks as seen by western economic sociology: An analysis of theoretical approaches
This paper analyses theoretical approaches to studying interorganizational networks offered in foreign economic sociology. The authors describe main conceptual problems, the key aspects of network form of interorganizational interaction, and embeddedness effects.
1. Alter C., Hage J. Organizations working together. Newbury Park, 1993.
2. Benson K. J. The Interorganizational ...
Georges Gurvitch and Sergey Hessen on the Possibility of Forming Social Unity
The early decades of the last century saw European philosophical thought becoming increasingly interested in the sociological extension of the idea of law. From the viewpoint of the sociology of law, law is formed in the process of social interactions and is not sanctioned by the state. Sergey Hessen and Georges Gurvitch base their conceptions of social law on the ...
The problem of sociological reductionism in gender studies
Social constructivism is a philosophical and methodological approach widely used in the gender studies of the second half of the 20th century. The author examines the theoretical framework for sociological constructivism and ideological reasons behind its popularity in feminist philosophy. The author considers social constructivism as a form of sociological reductionism in explaining human behaviour.
1. Батлер Дж. Психика власти: ...
Social conflicts as seen by residents of Saint Petersburg: An empirical study
... koncepty i rossijskaja praktika [Regional Conflict: Concepts and Russian practice]. Gorshkov, М. K. (ed. 0), Moscow.
2. Dahrendorf, R. 2002, Tropy iz Utopii. Raboty po teorii i istorii sociologii [Trails of Utopia. Work on the theory and history of sociology], Moscow.
3. Dmitriev, А. V. 2011, Social'nyj konflikt [Social conflict], Saint Petersburg.
4. Coser, L. 2013, Mastera sociologicheskoj mysli [Masters of sociological thought], Moscow.
5. Mills, Ch. R. 2001, Sociologicheskoe voobrazhenie ...
The role of management sociology in the system of mass communication
This article is dedicated to the topical issues of socially responsible information management in the communication media of Russian media space. The author considers the role of management sociology in the formation of Russian media space.
Бергер П., Лукман Т.
Социальное конструирование реальности. М., 1995.
Медиапланирование как метод ...
Social practices and mechanisms of socialization of uncertainty
... capital, different orders of value, and field and habitus theory.
Human Capital. Chicago, 1964.
Boltanski L., Thévenot L.
On Justification. The Economies of Worth. Princeton, 2006.
Uncertainty and Economic Sociology: A Prelimninary Discussion
// American Journal of Economics and Sociology. 2003. Vol. 62. №
3. P. 509—532.
Varieties of uncertainty: a survey of the economic literature (forthcoming).
Eymard-Duvernay F., Favereau ...
Industrial enterprises of the Kaliningrad region: R&D models under the conditions of perceived risks
... развития организаций (на примере потребительской кооперации Саратовский области) // Проблемы анализа риска. 2009. Т. 6, № 3. С. 58—63.
10. Luhmann N. Risk: A Sociological Theory. Berlin ; N. Y., 1993.
11. Kahneman D. Maps of bounded rationality: a perspective on intuitive judgment and choice // Nobel Prize lecture. URL:
(дата обращения: ...
Comparative analysis of students’ collective consciousness in the Russia-EU and Russia-China border regions: mathematical modelling
... regions located on the Russia-European Union and Russia-China borders. The authors present the results of the survey they conducted in the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University (Kaliningrad) and Amur State University (Blagoveshchensk). They examine the sociological phenomenon of ‘regional consciousness’ and substantiate the criteria for selecting the objects of research. It is the first time in sociology that logistic regression models reflecting the main characteristics of regional consciousness ...
Human capital of young public and political figures: A resource approach
... российского общества: опыт эмпирического анализа. М., 2007.
8. Шкаратан О. И. Социология неравенства. Теория и реальность. М., 2012.
9. Bourdieu P. Forms of Capital // The Sociology of Economic Life. 2nd ed. / eds. M. Granovetter and R. Swedberg. Boulder, 2001. Р. 98—102.
10. Bourdieu P. Ökonomisches Kapital, kulturelles Kapital, soziales Kapital // Soziale Ungeichheiten (Soziale Welt, S.-H. 2) / ed. R. Kreckel. Goettingen,...
Countries of the Baltic Region in the Global Culinary Space
8. Aguilar-Rodríguez, S. 2007, Cooking Modernity: Nutrition Policies, Class, and Gender in 1940s and 1950s Mexico City, The Americas, Vol. 64, no. 2, p. 177—205.
9. Beardsworth, A., Keil, T. 1997, Sociology on the Menu. An invitation to the study of food and society, London and New York.
10. Ceccarini, R. 2012, Pizza and Pizza Chefs in Japan: A Case of Culinary Globalization, Leiden, Boston.
11. Coe, A. 2009, Chop Suey. A Cultural History of Chinese ...
Embedding imagology in Translation Studies
... to the distribution of a promoted national or cultural self-image, has now also grown in countries outside of Europe. Future perspectives for findings on image spread through translation are offered through collaboration with existing research in sociology and psychology.
Beller, M. and Leerssen, J. eds., 2007. Imagology: The Cultural Construction and Literary Representation of National Characters — a critical survey. Amsterdam & New York: Rodopi.
Bielsa, E., 2013. Translation and the ...
Social management of a modern work collective: the results of a sociological study at the “Yantar” shipyard
This article analyses the results of a sociological study conducted at the “Yantar” shipyard. The authors focus on the principal aspects of social management of a work collective and identify the basic problems faced by workers in the modern conditions.
The Christian right movement in the USA in the 1990s
...., De Maio G. The Anti-Christian Fundamentalist Factor in Contemporary Politics // Public Opinion Quarterly. 1999. Vol. 63, № 4.
3. Brooks C., Manza J. A Great Divide? Religion and Political Change in U. S. National Elections, 1972—2000 // The Sociological Quarterly. 2004. Vol. 45, № 3.
4. Bruce S. Modernity and Fundamentalism: the New Christian Right in America //British Journal of Sociology. 1990. Vol. 44, № 4.
5. Encyclopedia of American Religion and Politics / ed. by P. A. Djupe,...
Some aspects of the theory of network structures as a mechanism of innovative activity management
... of organisation, including those typical of the sphere of innovations. The article offers an analysis of the explanation of the network phenomenon in the social exchange theory, M. Castells's network theory, resource dependence theory, organisational sociology theory, new institutionalism, evolutionary economics, and French economic institutionalism.
под ред. С.
Revolutionary processes as seen by students reading P. A. Sorokin and contemplating the present
In analysing Pitirm Sorokin’s The Sociology of Revolution, future sociologists and political scientists assimilate revolutionary processes in Russia at the beginning of the 20th century and try to establish reasons and factors behind social shocks. Students seek to juxtapose the consideration ...
Social geography and regional sociology
Political science and sociology
Political Science and Sociology
Political science and sociology
Political science and sociology
Political science and sociology
Political science and sociology
Political science and sociology
The methodological aspects of studying suicide as a phenomenon
... studying suicide as a social phenomenon. The author examines the social grounds for suicide in the concepts of E. Durkheim, R. Merton, A. Schopenhauer, and E. Fromm and described the methodological principles of studying suicide as a social practice in the sociological discourse of deviant behavior.
1. Кант И. Метафизика нравов в двух частях // И. Кант. Соч. : в 6 т. М.,1965. Т. 4, ч. 2. С. 107—438.
2. Кант И. Основы метафизики нравственности ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
The concept of “network” is traditionally used in sociological and economic sciences and serves as an in important object of research on the organisational forms of different phenomena and processes. This article examines the use of the “network” concept in socioeconomic geography through identifying ...
The geographical image of Kaliningrad and its branding policy (the case of a sociological survey of the city residents)
The article focuses on the results of a sociological survey of the city residents the main purpose of which is to identify the features of the geographical image of their city. The authors attempt at answering the question whether the comprehensive image of urban geospace coincides with the ...
Assessment of transport accessibility of rural territories of the Kaliningrad region using methods of sociological research
... manifested itself in the growth of population flows, daily commuting between the village and the city. As a result, the rural population expects a high-quality transport infrastructure and an efficiently functioning public transport network. Using sociological tools, the authors analyze the degree of satisfaction of the rural population from the eastern municipalities of the Kaliningrad region with a current public transport network and the quality of transport services provided. The findings led ...
Symbolical interactionism: A methodology for ana-lysing processes in an administrative system
1. Вебер М. Избранное. Образ общества / пер. с нем. М., 2005.
2. Cooley Ch. Human Nature and the Social Order. N. Y., 1964.
3. Denzin N. Symbolic Interactionism and Ethnomethodology // American Sociological Review. 1999. Vol. 8, № 6.
4. Harrel В. Symbols, Perception and Meaning // Sociological Theory: Inquires and Paradigms. N. Y., 2003.
5. Mead G. H. Mind, Self and Society. Chicago, 2002.
6. Pfnetze P. E. Self, Society, Existence. Human ...
Factors of self-actualization of student youth in the context of cross-cultural interaction and the mastering of a macro-mediator language
The topicality of this pilot study is predetermined by the necessity to optimize cross-cultural interaction in polyethnic regions by means of revelation of its subjects’ sociological portrait. In this research, the author attempts to experimentally investigate the nature of cross-cultural interaction in mastering a macro-mediator language in the academic discourse. A scenario of the standardized interview has been ...
The Russian sociological thought of the 19th century: the specific features of a study into social pathologies
This article focuses on the specific features of a study into social pathologies in Russian sociology. The author emphasises that the addressing of moral problems is a tradition of Russian social thought.
. Избранные сочинения: в 2 т. Т. 1: Задачи позитивизма и их решение....
Electronic culture: a need for the interdisciplinary approach to the study
This article analyses different aspects of the development of electronic form of culture. Particular emphasis is placed on the philosophical and sociological study of the phenomenon, which has been pronounced since the second half of the 20th century. The author considers the conditions and factors of the interdisciplinary approach to studying electronic culture.
1. Маклюэн М. Понимание ...
The concept of paradigm in the theories of R. Merton and T. Kuhn: A comparative analysis
... factor of science development // Science and Education: materials of the V international research and practice conference. Vol. 2. Munich, Germany. February 27—28th, 2014. Munich, 2014. P. 257—260.
2. Merton R. K. Paradigms: The Codification of Sociological Theory // On social structure and science. Chiсago, 1946. P. 57—62.
3. Кун Т. Структура научных революций. М., 2009.
4. Firth R. An Appraisal of Modern Social Anthropology // Annual Review of Anthropology....
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
... International Migration Review, T. 23, Vol. 3, p. 638—670.
13. Castles, S. 2002, Migration and community formation under conditions of globalization, International Migration Review, T. 36, Vol. 4, p. 1143—1168.
14. Castles, S. 2003, Towards a sociology of forced migration and social transformation, Sociology, T. 37, Vol. 1, p. 13—34.
15. Chiswick, B. R., Miller, P. W. 2001, A model of destination-language acquisition: Application to male immigrants in Canada, Demography, T. 38, Vol. 3,...
The formation of the political elite in Lithuania at the turn of the 1980s—1990s: the role of “moral politicians”
2. Almond, G. A., Flanagan, S., Mundt, R. (eds.). 1973, Crisis, Choice, and
Change: Historical Stories of Political Development, Boston.
3. Bourdieu, P. 1986, The forms of capital. In: Richards, J. G. (ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education, N. Y.
4. Best,, H., Becker, U. (eds.). 1997, Elites in Transition. Elite Research in Central and Eastern Europe. Opladen.
5. Gaydis, V. 1999, The Emergence of the Lithuanian Political Elite. In: Shlapentokh, V., Vanderpool, K....
Network Transformations in Economy
... Series. March 1998, Dublin.
14. De Bresson C., Amesse F. Networks of innovators: a review and introduction to the issue // Research Policy. 1991. № 20(5). P. 363—379.
15. Dore R. Goodwill and the Spirit of Market Capitalism // British Journal of Sociology. 1983. № 34. P. 459—82.
16. Economides N. The economics of networks // International Journal of Industrial Organisation. 1996. № 16. P. 673—699.
17. Ernst D., Kim L. GPNs, knowledge diffusion and local capability formation //Research ...
The major transformations of scientific views on public ad-ministration: a sociological analysis
This article examines transformation of the social administrative resources through different historical periods. The author suggests criteria for analyzing evolution of scientific views on public administration: sociological time and the volume of the social ties. On the basis of these criteria, the author identifies the stages of cardinal changes in public administration. The optimum administrative model is suggested for each of these stages. The article emphasizes ...
The ‘hybrid model’ of Norway’s ethnic policy in its northern counties: a key to stable interethnic relations
... these models amid increasing migration flows and changes in the country’s socio-economic environment. The methods we use in this multidisciplinary study are situated at the interface of national and international law, political science, history, and sociology. They include the comparative historical method (the dynamics of ethno-political processes), the systemic method (ethic policy in the framework of target-based programme management), the comparative law method (a comparison of national legal ...
Competence in social assistance: analysis of the expectations of young people
... основы формирования и реализации ожиданий в профессиональном выборе и карьере : дис. ... д-ра пси¬хол. наук. М., 1999.
9. Borup M., Brown N., Konrad K., Lente van H. The Sociology of Expectations in Science and Technology // Technology Analysis & Strategic Management. 2006. Vol. 18, № 3/4. Р. 285—298.
10. Brown N., Michael M. A sociology of expectations: retrospecting prospects and prospecting retrospects // Technology ...
Internal migration as studied by political science
... and methodological approaches, I determine the scope of their applicability in political science. I conclude that the features of research into internal migration depend largely on changes in the perception of this phenomenon within the demographic, sociological, economic, and other related approaches.
1. Василенко П. В. Зарубежные теории миграции населения // Псковский регионологический журнал. 2013. № 16. С. 36—42....
The problem of meaning in Social Semiotics: Max Weber today
... history, literature, art, politics, law, etc.) can be considered as semantic ensembles consisted from meaningful actions. The concept of “meaning” is fundamental not only in linguistics amd semiotics, but also in M. Weber's theory: thesubject of sociology is the understanding of “the meaning of behavior”. Based on the Weber’s definitions and their possible modification, we suggest the transdisciplinary synthesis around the study of the problem of meanings and their manifestation. Meaning ...
Environmental awareness of urban and rural residents
The article presents the results of the sociological analysis of environmental awareness of the residents of a regional centre (the case of Kaliningrad) and a settlement (the case of Nivenskoye, the Kaliningrad region). The study is relevant for the federal authorities since environmental ...
Bogdan Kistiakovy’s Project of “State of the Future” as Synthesis of the Ideas of Liberalism and Socialism
... <http://ecsocman.hse.ru/data/100/ 477/1216/021_Vasilenko. pdf> [accessed 08 March 2015].
3. Vasilenko, N. P. 1994b, Akademik Bogdan Alexandrovich Kistiakovsky [chast’ 2][Academician Bogdan Alexandrovich Kistiakovsky], Sociologicheskie issledovania [Sociological studies], no. 4, p. 129—139, available at: <http://ecsocman. hse.ru/data/ 652/846/1217/020_Vasilenko_Sotsiologicheskoe_nasledie.pdf> [accessed 08 March 2015].
4. Kistiakovsky, B. A. 2010a, Izbrannoe: v dvuh chastiah, Chast 1. [Selected ...
Audiovisual translation and reception
... 1998. Causes, translations, effects. Target, 10(2), pp. 201—230.
Chesterman, A., 1993. From ‘is’ to ‘ought’: Laws, norms and strategies in Translation Studies. Target, 5(1), pp. 1—20.
Chesterman, A., 2007. Bridge concepts in translation sociology. In: M. Wolf and A. Fukari, eds. Constructing a Sociology of Translation. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins. pp. 171—183.
De Linde, Z. and Key, N., 1999. The semiotics of subtitling. Manchester: St Jerome.
Di Giovanni, E., ed., 2011. ...
Historical memory in the age of globalization: the case of Russian- Estonian relations
... dlja zhizni. Sumerki kumirov, ili Kak filosofstvovat' molotom [On the Use and Abuse of History for Life. Twilight of the idols, or how to philosophize hammer]. Moscow.
10. Savelieva, I. М., Poletaev, А. V. 2005, Sociologija znanija o proshlom [The sociology of knowledge about the past], Мoscow.
11. Tocqueville (comte de.), A. 2000, Demokratija v Amerike [Democracy in
12. Fukuyama, F. 2004, Konec istorii i poslednij chelovek [The End of History and the Last Man], Мoscow. ...
The rhetoric and logic of the representations of the Russian-Turkish War of 1877–1878 in Russian public discourse
... 1879—1881 years]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Teslya, A. A., 2018. “The only pictures in memory of the glorious war”: heroic, orientalism and the problems of the pictorial representation of the Russian-Turkish war of 1877—1878. Sotsiologicheskoe obozrenie [Sociological review], 17(3) [in Russ., in press].
Teslya, A. A., 2017. Who says and who (should) be heard: “public opinion” in the Russian Empire of the 2nd half of the XIX century. In: M. G. Pugacheva, V. P. Zharkova, eds. Puti Rossii. Voina i mir: ...
Consilience or fragmentation in Translation Studies today?
... emergence of different kinds of translation practices, research questions and new technologies, but also of different epistemological and ontological assumptions about the object of study. Four major areas are outlined: linguistic, cultural, cognitive and sociological. Connections between them are briefly discussed, but the main tendency has been one of fragmentation. Perhaps this does not matter?
Abdallah, K., 2012. Translators in Production Networks. Reflections on agency, quality and ethics. Joensuu: ...
Geography of European Migration
... Economic Perspectives, Vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 3—22.
21. Ceobanu, A. M., Escandell, X. 2010, Comparative analyses of public attitudes toward immigrants and immigration using multinational survey data: A review of theories and research, Annual Review of Sociology, no. 36, p. 309—327.
22. King, R. 2002, Towards a new map of European migration. International Journal of Population Geography, Vol. 8, no. 2, p. 89—106.
23. Taylor, J. E. 1999, The new economics of labour migration and the role of remittances ...
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... Applied psychology: An international review, Vol. 46 (1), p. 5—34.
21. Dean, M. 1999, Governmentality: power and rule in modern society, L.
22. Douglas, M. 1992, Risk and blame: essays in cultural theory, L., N. Y.
23. Luhmann, N. 2005, Risk. A Sociological Theory, New Brunswick; N. J.
24. Lyng, S. 2005, Edgework. The Sociology of Risk-Taking, L.
Yemelyanova L. L., Fidrya E. S.
migration, compatriots, migration programme, social risks, employment potential, migration management, adaptation ...
Russian Northwest: An integral Assessment of the Conditions of Regional Social, Environmental and Economic Systems and Quality of Life
... geograficheskaja [Izvestiya RAN. Series of geographical], no. 6, p. 90—99.
4. Vozmitel, А. А. 2013, Kachestvo zhizni v doperestroechnoj i poreformennoj Rossii [The quality of life in the pre-perestroika and post-reform Russia], Sociologicheskie issledovanija [Sociological studies], no. 2, p. 25—32.
5. Gershanok, G. А. 2006, Social'no-jekonomicheskaja i jekologicheskaja emkost' territorii pri ocenke ustojchivosti ee razvitija [Socio-economic and ecological capacity of the territory in the assessment of ...