Lingvocultural Transfer: a Myth as a Meme
This author considers the intergenerational transmission of the idea of myth in the framework of the cultural-historical dichotomy "communication-transfer", examining it from the point of views of the unit of cultural inheritance (meme). The author notes that for an individual, the most interesting memes are capable ...
The mythical-historical images of Bruno Schulz’s ‘Spring’ in the context of Kafka’s mythologism
Myths and history are different but related forms of consciousness. They date back to the archaic and new periods of world history. New forms of synthesis between history and myths translated in the ‘mythical-historical imagery’ of the 20th-century ...
The archetypal space of the palace in E. Zola’s novel «The Ladiesʼ Paradise»
... архетип в «Пиковой даме» А. С. Пушкина. Madrid, 2001.
8. Мелетинский Е. М. О литературных архетипах. М., 1994.
9. Barbey d’Aurevilly J. Le roman contemporain. P., 1902.
10. Borie J. Zola et les mythes, ou de la Nausée au Salut. Р., 2003.
11. Bourgeois J. Du myth collectif au myth personnel: «La Fortune des Rougon», «Le Rêve» // Les Cahiers naturalistes. 2005. № 79. P. 23—44.
12. Buuren M. von. Les Rougon Macquart d’Emile Zola : ...
Nikolay Kononov's novel “Flaneur” in the context of Polish messianism: history and myth
... dialogue as the author of the novel “Flaneur” with Polish messianism, which is presented by Mickiewicz’s “Books and the Pilgrimage of the Polish Nation” and Slovatsky’s “Journey to the East”. Kononov’s parody and play with historical myths of Polishness allow the reader to compare his novel with the literary works of Gombrovich. The author concludes that Kononov’s Tadeush represents the anthropological trichotomy: clothing — body — soul. In the parody and language representation ...
The myth as a source of cultural legitimation: the rock and rap versions of Orpheus and Eurydice. Article 1
Using the rock opera Orpheus and Eurydice (1975) and Hip-hopera: Orpheus & Eurydice (2018), we analyse interpretations of the ancient myth in today’s popular culture. We demonstrate how the plot and motif transformations of the pre-text bridge the gap between history and modernity. In both the rock opera and the hip-hopera, the ancient theme of descent into the kingdom of the dead ...
The myth as a source of cultural legitimation: the rock and hip-hop versions of the legend of Orpheus and Eurydice
... of representation of Orpheus’s dual semantics as the archetypical poet and musician as well as of the general motifs of temptation/seduction and selling one’s soul. It is established that, perceived as a single source of meanings and plots, the myth encourages the musical and poetical culture of the 20th/early 21st centuries to exploit deep¬er levels of the mythological metasystem and to build new cultural mythologies. Contemporary artists transform the traditional models of mythical think¬ing,...
Utopian Aspects of Vladimir Sharov's “Become Like Children”
The article analyses Vladimir Sharov's new novel in the context of literary traditions of utopia, dystopia, Lenin myth and antimyth, as well as against the background of the author's creative method.
. Будьте как дети. М.: Вагриус, 2008.
. Есть образ мира, который я хочу записать // ...
Ours Is the Time of Nightmare-Inducing Myths. An interview with O. Gaman-Golutvina
Hyperbole, the comical, and grotesque in Yu. Buida’s collection of short stories The Prussian Bride
The connection between grotesque and myth is shown in the context of Yu. Buida’s collection of short stories The Prussian Bride. The author identifies the thematic areas of the intersection between grotesque, hyperbole, and the comical and analyses the linguistic means of their representation....
From the fall of man to the image of the Antichrist : Biblical allusions in W. Gombrowicz’s novel Pornografia
This article analyses W. Gombrowicz’s novel Pornografia as a parodic interpretation of Nietzsche’s overman philosophy. The myth of the fall of man from the Book of Genesis and the biblical and eschatological myth of Antichrist are considered as the interpretive key to the novel.
1. Гомбрович В. Космос. СПб., 2001.
2. Кьеркегор С. Страх ...
Pushkin as a personal myth of the Russian avantgarde
... peculiar variant of cultural apophaticism when the object of reflection is asserted through its consistent negation. The factography of the Russian avant-garde proves that, from its earliest stages the creative system has been constructing its own Pushkin myth, within which the poet has the role of both an object of cultural overcoming and the reference point for the development of a new art. Through negation, the avant-garde strives to ‘discharge’ Pushkin and to show his strangeness to classical cultural ...
On the Semiotic Model of Image
... similar to a certain exemplary act). The author explores the relationship between the category of image and a number of similar concepts. In particular, the definitions of the category of symbol (by S. S. Averintsev and Yu. M. Lotman), the category of myth (in the interpretation of R. Barthes) and the concept of meme (by R. Dawkins) are analysed and juxtaposed with the notion of image.
Averintsev, S., 2006. Artistic symbol. In: Sobranie sochinenii [Collected Works]. Kiev. pp. 386—394 (in Russ....
The image of Napoleon in France
... Napoleon in connection with the changing political situation. Historical studies and belles-lettres help demonstrate that today the image of Napoleon is more popular in other European countries than in France and that the life of the emperor gave rise to a myth about a hero and great conqueror who faces defeat at the peak of his power and loses its empire.
1. Amalvi Ch. Les héros des Français. Controverses autour de la mémoire nationale. P., 2011.
2. Boudon J.-O. Napoléon et la campagne ...
Axiological analysis of the novel "The Prospector" by Jean- Marie Gustave Le Clézio
... axiological analysis of the novel "The Prospector" by the French writer Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio. The author of the novel employs a variety of artistic means to express the characters’ and his own value systems referring to the biblical myth of the knowledge tree of good and evil.
1. Ильин В. В. Аксиология. М., 2005.
2. Косидовский З. Библейские сказания. М., 1987.
3. Кравченко Э. Я. Внутренний монолог // ...
From a city to the myth (Yu. Buida’s Königsberg)
... shown that the mythological image of Königsberg/Kaliningrad is based on the moving border between the documentary and the fictional, history and narration, whereas the discursive structure of the text simulates the transformation of reality into a myth.
1. Буйда Ю. Кёнигсберг // Новый мир. 2003. № 7. URL: http://magazines.russ.ru/novyi_mi/2003/7/bu.html (дата обращения: 21.07.2014).
2. Буйда Ю. Прусская невеста (вместо предисловия) ...
The history of the myth of L. P. Karsavin’s conversion to Catholicism
... Lev Karsavin to Catholicism. Meanwhile, the juxtaposition of the memories of those who witnessed the last years of Karsavin's life as well as many other documents of that time make it possible to assert that his conversion to another faith is only a myth created by enthusiastic zealots of Catholicism, since it contradicts the dying philosopher’s testimony.
1. Ванеев А. А. Два года в Абези. В память о Л. П. Карсавине. Брюссель, 1990.
2. Ванеев ...
Mythologization of the city in the works of B. Schulz and F. Kafka
... using the novels «Cinnamon shops» and «The Hourglass Sanatorium » by Bruno Schulz and the novel «The Trial» by F.Kafka as an example. It is alleged that an insurmountable boundary between nature and culture leads to the creation of the negative myth of the city in Kafka's works, while for B.Schultz the connection between nature and spirituality of the city returns the author to the idea of the mythical alfa and omega of life. The article describes the image of the city-labyrinth which both authors ...
The mythopoetics of Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel The buried giant
... tend to actualise mythological poetics in the literary text. I pay particular attention both to the re-creation of elements of mythological origin in the context of the novel and to new semantic meanings emerging through the reconsideration of the myth in the mind of the author. I address the problem of defining the genre of the novel, which has not yet received a single identification in the literature. My analysis shows that, in the novel, mythopoetics is a means to create a metaphorical image ...
Kant, Nietzsche, and the Enlightenment: A comparative analysis
... enlightenment — egoism, guardianship, sloth, and cowardice. For Nietzsche, the central problem is the dominant role of reason in the Enlightenment. Nevertheless, reason is not denied but rather it is limited and supplemented with the integrating power of myth, which is considered by Nietzsche not as a prejudice but as the origin of thought correlating with life. Moreover, confidence in culture disappears. The ‘warped wood’ is replaced by the ‘rope over an abyss’ and the immature majority by masses....
The Role of Political Elites in the Development of Politics of Memory in the Baltic States
... elite — the definition of the basic concepts], Polis, no. 3, p. 97—103.
6. Gellner, М. 1991, Nacii i nacionalizm [Nations and Nationalism], Moscow.
7. Gellner, М. 1992, Prishestvie nacionalizma. Mify nacii i klassa [The advent of nationalism. Myths of nations and classes], Put': mezhdunarodnyj filosofskij zhurnal [Path: international philosophical journal], no. 1, p. 9—61.
8. Djukov, А. R. 2008, «The soviet story»: Mehanizm lzhi [«The soviet story»: The mechanism of lies], Moscow. ...
Types of Representational Content in Kant
... Philosophy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Hanna, R., 2005. Kant and Nonconceptual Content. European Journal of Philosophy, 13(2), pp. 247-290.
Hanna, R., 2008. Kantian Non-Conceptualism. Philosophical Studies, 137, pp. 41-64.
Hanna, R., 2011. Beyond the Myth of the Myth: A Kantian Theory of Non-Conceptual Content. International Journal of Philosophical Studies, 19(3), pp. 323-398.
Heck, R. G. Jr., 2000. Nonconceptual Content and the ‘Space of Reasons’. The Philosophical Review, 109(4), pp. 483-523....
Female Characters in German Rock Poetry
... Lacrimosa //
. URL: http://www.germanrock.ru/bands/lacrimosa /lyrics
. Eisbrecher //
. URL: http://www.germanrock.ru/bands/ eis
rock poetry, author’s song, female character, myth
Archetypes in “The Prospector” by Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio
.... Сновидения. Размышления. Киев, 1994.
7. Réunion, Maurice, Seychelles, Michelin et Cie. Propriétaires-éditeurs, 1998. Р. 307—315.
an archetype, an archetypal image, a prospector , a mother, a rebel, a myth, a legend
The mythical thinking of B. Pasternak in the cycle Romanovka
... Энциклопедия символов. М. ; Харьков, 2001.
8. Символы, знаки, эмблемы : энциклопедия / авт.-сост. В. Андреева [и др.]. М., 2006.
Boris Pasternak, cycle, motif, myth
The role of proper names in the chronotope modelling in Yu. Buida’s short story Of the name of Lev
... anthroponyms. The author considers the role of the left-right opposition in the modelling of space and time in the text.
Мифология: авторская программа.
(дата обращения: 20.03.2011).
Языковые подходы к проблеме архетипов коллективного бессознательного // Языкознание: взгляд ...
The sustainability of natural monopoly in regional markets: methodological prerequisites for an analysis
... classification of industries — natural monopolies depending on the characteristics defining their sustainability.
1. Baumol W., Panzar J. C., Willig R. D. Contestable Markets and the Theory of Industry Structure. New York. 1982.
2. DiLorenzo T. J. The myth of natural monopoly // The Review of Austrian Economics. 1996. 9 (2). P. 43—58.
3. Faulhaber G. R. Cross subsidization: Pricing in public enterprise // American Economic Review. 1975. Vol. 65. P. 966—977.
4. Sharkey W. W. The Theory of ...
The motif of childhood in Bruno Schulz’s novel Cinnamon Shops
9. Менады // Энциклопедия мифологии : [сайт]. URL:
(дата обращения: 12.12.2014).
Bruno Schulz, literary text, genre, literary memoirs, concept of ‘childhood’, myth, ‘brilliant era’, male and female elements
The role of intertextuality in the formation of the opposition soul-body in Nikolai Kononov's «Eugenia's Genius»
The authors examine intertextual links between N. Kononov's story «Eugenia's Genius» (1998) and the myth of Cupid and Psyche from Apuleius «Metamorphoses, or The Golden Ass» by Apuleius, »Light breath» by I. A. Bunin and Roman M. Kundera's «The Unbearable Lightness of Being». The authors explore the role of these relations in the formation of ...
NATO Policies in the Baltics: Objectives and Priorities
... northern enlargement. The current situation suggests that to ease tension in the Baltic Sea region Russia has not only to respond adequately to emerging military threats but also to launch an awareness campaign to explain its position and dispel the myth about Russia preparing to start a hybrid war against the Baltic States.
Gribanova G. I., † Kosov Yu. V.
NATO, Baltic Sea, political strategy, military tension, Russia, Baltic states
The features of proper name semantic structure in N. Kononov short story Mikesha
... текста и имя в тексте
// Имя текста, имя в тексте: сб. науч. тр. Тверь, 2004.
Поэтика сюжета и жанра. М., 1997.
N. Kononov, myth, mythopoetics, doppelgangers
The nature of the mystical in the works of Novalis and MacDonald
... // The Golden Key [
(дата обращения: 15.05.2010).
Macdonald, Novalis, fairy tale, literary fairy tale, myth, the mystical,
romanticism, symbol, symbolism.
Some methodological problems of military and historical anthropology
... Ленинграде в 1941—1942 гг. СПб., 2011.
11. Brown N. Life against death. L., 1959.
12. Kennedy R. Psychoanalysis, History, and Subjectivity. Now of the past. Hove, 2002.
13. Kirschenbaum L. The legacy of the siege of Leningrad, 1941—95: Myth, memories,and monuments. Cambridge, 2006.
military anthropology, historical psychology, historical memory, psychohistory
The modifications of the fairy tale genre in the modern Czech literature: The case of A. Mikulka O jelenovi s kulometem and J. Černický’s O Sasance
... authors. In Mikulka’s works, elements of folklore fairy tale are interpreted based on the principles of surrealism, grotesque, language game, and nonsense literature. On the other hand, modern author’s fairy tale interacts with the genres of legend, myth, parable, and literary phantasy (Černický).
1. Černický J. O Sasance (Dokument z pohádky). Praha, 2004.
2. Mikulka A. O jelenovi s kulometem a jiné zkazky a pohádky pro trampy, zla¬to¬kopy, stopaře, cestovatele a milovníky táboráků....
Peasant’s personal land ownership during Stolypin’s reforms: Myths and reality
This article provides a legal analysis of personal ownership of estate, parcels of land in homestead villages, and fortified communal land in the village, which was acquired by peasants under the legislative acts of the agrarian reform. Based on a comparison of general civil and peasant legislation, the author emphasises the differences between personal ownership, which replaced the family ownership of a peasant homestead, from private ownership. They related to maintaining a special status of allotment...
Ontology of the «new world» in the work of Friedrich Hölderlin (to his 250th anniversary)
.... Werke und Briefe : in 2 Bnd. Frankfurt a/M, 1969.
20. Lucacs G. Der junge Hegel und die Probleme der kapitalistischen Gesellschaft. Zürich ; Wien, 1948.
21. Muschg W. Tragische Literaturgeschichte. München, 1983.
Gilmanov V. H., Koptsev I. D.
myth, freemasonry, light, will, poetry
Festung Königsberg in 1945: The garrison and its population. A reply to G. V. Kretinin’s remarks
... Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942. Lawrence, 2005.
15. Kershaw I. The End, Germany 1944—45. L., 2012.
16. Lasch O. So fiel Königsberg. Stuttgart, 1977.
17. Lucas J. The last year of the German Army. L., 1994.
18. Nipe G. M. Blood, Steel, and Myth. The II. SS-Panzer-Korps and the Road to Prochorowka, July 1943. Stamford, 2011.
19. Preussische Zeitung.
20. Wieck M. Königsberg Zeugnis vom Untergang einer Stadt. Augsburg, 1998.
21. Wieck M. A childhood under Hitler and Stalin, Memoirs of a “certified” ...
Modern trends in the Baltic countries in the discourse of identity: between sovereignty and European integration
.... Western European «identity» versus eastern European «identity». URL: http://www.inclusionexclusion.nl/site/?download=Laura Herta Gongola (дата обращения: 13.03.2013).
3. Paulauskas K. The Baltic States: picking regions, shedding myths, decoding acronyms. URL: http://archive.minfolit.lt/arch/5001/5190.pdf (дата обращения: 23.03.2013).
4. Berg E. Where East Meets the West? Baltic States in search of new identity. URL: http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/coe21/publish/no15_ses/03_berg....
Rock culture and Dyonisianism
... Доктор Фаустус. М., 1959.
20. Splean.ru : [офицальный сайт группы «Сплин:]. URL: www.splean.ru/music (дата обращения: 11.05.2013).
Kumichev I., Gilmanov V.
rock music, ballad, the Dionysian, myth, culture
The eschatology of space in Mickiewicz’s Saint Petersburg poems and Pushkin’s The bronze horseman
... Bronze Horseman (1833). We explore the eschatological figurativeness of the two texts and the eccentricity, as Yuri Lotman put it, of the Saint Petersburg space. We conclude that Mickiewicz’s eschatology of Saint Petersburg is linked to the biblical myth of Babylon. Nominal rhetorical detachment permeates his perception of the Saint Petersburg flood. Pushkin’s position consists of two elements: the presence of a bystander in the text and compassion for Evegenii who falls victim to the flood. Pushkin ...
Philosophical Discourse and the Conceptualisation of Word Formation
... knowledge of the language: parts of speech from the cognitive point of view, the role of language in the cognition of the world]. Moscow.
4. Kuzanskii, N., 1979. Sochineniya [Works]. Moscow, vol. 1.
5. Losev, A. F., 1982. Znak. Simvol. Mif [Sign. Symbol. Myth]. Moscow.
6. Nikolina, N. A., 2009. Aktivnye protsessy v yazyke sovremennoi russkoi khudozhestvennoi literatury [Active processes in the language of modern Russian literature]. Moscow.
7. Onatskaya, O. I., 2005. Stanovlenie defisnogo napisaniya slov ...
Images of English giants: at the intersection of mythological traditions
... К. М. Королева. М. ; СПб., 2007.
7. Addy S. O. Household Tales and Traditional Remains: Collected in the Counties
of York, Lincoln, Derby and Nottingham. L., 1895.
8. Coleman J. A. The Dictionary of Mythology. L., 2007.
9. Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain. L., 1973.
10. Hartland E. S. English Fairy and Other Folk Tales. L., 1890. URL: www.sacredtexts.com/neu/eng/efft/index.htm (дата обращения: 16.03.2004).
11. Hoad T. F. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English ...
The image of N. M. Karamzin in Russian poetry
There are virtually no specialized studies into the creation of poetic image of N. Karamzin in late 18th — early 19th centuries in Russian literature; though it is the expressiveness and imagery of poetry which can have a great impact on the myths in public consciousness. The present study is based on the texts published in the following collections of poems: “Epigrams and Satire: from the history of literary feud of the 19th century” (Epigramma i satira: iz istorii literaturnoy bor’by ...
The Battle of the Ice: On the ‘Svinfylking’ or ‘flying wedge’
... sivnflyking formation trying to destroy Alexander Nevsky’s troops and sustained a defeat is commonly acknowledged in Russian history. This article is an attempt to establish whether the use of this formation is a historical fact or another historical myth.
1. Арбузов Л. А. Очерки истории Лифляндии, Эстляндии и Курляндии. СПб., 1912.
2. Бискуп М. Великая война Польши и Литвы с Тевтонским орденом ...
Cross-border Cooperation as a Mechanism of Regional Marketing in the Baltic Region
.... Routledge, Abingdon, 2004.
16. Löfgren O. Regionautus: the transformation of cross-border regions in
// European Urban and Regional Studies. 2004. 15 (3). Р. 195—209.
17. Vargo S. L., Lusch R. F. The Four Service Marketing Myths: Remnants of a Goods-Based, Manufacturing Model // Journal of Service Research. 2004. 6 (4). Р. 324—335.
Davidov Denis, Chekalina Tatyana
cross-border cooperation, cross-border regionalisation, Euroregion, regional brand, Baltic Sea Region
The content and vectors of the reforms in the higher education system of modern China
Хань: очерки о культуре Древнего Китая / под общ. ред. Б. Панкратова. Л., 1959.
общества в старом Китае. М., 1970.
The shape of the turtle. Myth, art and cosmos in Early
. Albany, 1991
. Studies in Early Civilization.
The invention of printing in
and its spread westward. 2-d ed
On the Pushkin text in the poetry of Perestroika
[Accessed 15 December 2019] (in Russ.).
Tsvetayeva, M. I., 1981. Moi Pushkin [My Pushkin]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Chernyak, M. A., 1999. «To Pushkin, gentlemen! To Pushkin again!..» (Transformation of the Pushkin myth in prose of the late 20th century). In: Y. A. Muravyov, ed. A. S. Pushkin i mirovaya kul'tura. Materialy mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii [A. S. Pushkin and world culture. Materials of the international conference]. Moscow. pp. 88—90 (in Russ.).
V. The hagiographic topic in I. S. Shmelev’s novel The Inexhaustible Chalice
... ‘angelic image’, which is manifested in the character’s physical resemblance to an angel, also contributes to the conformity with the hagiographic canon.
Angely [Angels], 1987. Tokarev, S.A. (ed.). Mify narodov mira. Entsiklopediya. (V 2 tomakh) [Myths of the peoples of the world. Encyclopedia. (In 2 volumes)]. Vol. 1. Moscow, pp. 76-79 (in Russ.).
Bocharov, S.G., 1985. O khudozhestvennykh mirakh [On the artistic worlds]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Dorofeeva, L.G., 2014. A humble person in the hagiography ...
Images of Paradise in the Russian Poetry of the End of the 20th Century
... for self-expression. There is also a connection between the new "paradise" poetry and the literary tradition that comes from Dante, Mandelstam, and Tsvetaeva.
Averintsev, S. S., 1982. Paradise. In: S. A. Tokarev, ed. Mify narodov mira [Myths of the World]. Vol. 2. Moscow. pp. 363—366 (in Russ.).
Aristov, V., 2008. Izbrannye stikhi i poemy [Selected poems]. St. Petersburg (in Russ.).
Daenin, E., 2000. Vozvedenie v stepen' [Exponentiation]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Dante, Alig'eri, 1974. ...
Social and cultural determinants in the perception of environmental risks: Douglas grid group analysis
... jeksklav-v-kvadrate-chto-proishodit-v-posjolke-nivenskoe-posle-pisma-glave-chechni (дата обращения: 26.11.2019).
6. ATLAS.ti 8 Windows : user manual. 2017. URL:
. com/docs/manual/atlasti_v8_manual_en.pdf (дата обращения: 15.11.2019).
7. Dake K. Myths of Nature: Culture and the Social Construction of Risk // Journal of Social Issues. 1992. Vol. 48, № 4. P. 21—37.
8. Douglas M. Cultural Bias // Douglas M. In the Active Voice. L., 1982.
9. Ilyashevich A. V. Risk Communication in the Sphere ...
Meaning in life and meaning in the text (roundtable proceedings)
... some causal and functional relations (‘meaning in life’) and their semiotic manifestation (‘meaning in the text’).
Aristotle, 1983. Sochineniya v chetyrekh tomakh [Works in four volumes]. Vol. 4. Moscow: Mysl' (in Russ.).
Barthes, R., 1994. Myth today. In: R. Barthes, ed. Izbrannye raboty: Semiotika. Poetika [Selected works: Semiotics. Poetics]. Moscow: Progress. pp. 72—130 (in Russ.).
Weber, M., 1990. Basic sociological concepts. In: M. Weber, ed. Izbrannye proizvedeniya [Featured ...