Kant and the contemporary theory of international relations
The main purpose of this article is to answer the question of the role of Kantian political philosophy for the theory of international relations. The answer is giving through the examination of the main trends in the interpretation of Kant's place in one of the major paradigms of the theory of international relations: realism, idealism, liberalism, and institutionalism. Author shows ...
The concept of the European Union’s normative power
... 2013, Zhestkij vzgljad na «mjagkuju silu»: kriticheskij analiz monografii Dzh. Naja «Budushhee vlasti» [Hard look at ‘soft power’: critical reflections on ‘The Future Power’ by Joseph S. Nye], Moscow State University Bulletin. Series 25. International Relations and World Politics, no. 4, p. 134–163.
5. Yudin, N. V. 2015, Sistemnoe prochtenie fenomena mjagkoj sily [A systemic approach to “soft power”]. International Trends, Vol. 13, no. 2, p.96–105.
6. Mayer, H., Vogt, H. (eds.), 2006, A Responsible ...
Management of Trans-boundary Water Resources: Comparing Russian and American Experiences
... at: http://www.epa.gov/grtlakes/glwqa/20120907-Canada-USA_GLWQA_FINAL.pdf (accessed 11 December 2012).
11. Bruce, J. P., Wood, C. 2012, Canada — U. S. Water Quality: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back, Toronto, The Star.
international relations, international agreements, Russia, Estonia, United States of America, Canada, transboundary cooperation, environmental protection, water management, transnationalism, intergovernmentalism
The fifth wave of the European Union enlargement: pro et contra
... Europeans in the New Europe], Kosmopolis, no. 4 (10), p. 78—92.
3. Voronov, К. 2002, Pjatoe rasshirenie ES: sud'bonosnyj vybor [The fifth enlargement of the EU: a fateful choice], Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 59—87.
4. Butorina, О. V. (ed.), 2003, Evropejskij sojuz: spravochnik [The European Union: a guide], Moscow.
5. Zlokazova, N. 2004, Rasshirenie ES: za i protiv s pozicij ego chlenov [EU Enlargement: the pros and cons from the ...
The Baltic policy of Germany and current international relations
... policy in Russian-German relations. The method of dynamic comparison between the political and economic narrative in intergovernmental relations makes it possible to identify distinctive features of Germany’s Baltic policy in the context of current international relations. In particular, it is noted that Germany was most active in the Baltic region in the 1990s, when the country was establishing political, economic, and cultural ties with the new independent states. In the second half of the 1990s, Germany’s ...
Polish-Russian relations as reflected in the programmes of right-wing political parties in Poland: a quantitative and qualitative analysis
... determined and assertive policy towards Russia, parties committed to a neutral position on Russia, and those that seek the improvement and pragmatisation of Polish-Russian relations. There are two important conclusions from the qualitative analysis. Firstly, international relations have a pronounced influence on the programmes of political parties. Secondly, as to the right-wing parties considered in the Polish political discourse as pro-Russian (the National Revival of Poland, the National Radical Camp), they are either ...
The military and political situation in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries: the prospects of ‘uneasy peace’
In this article, we consider the development of international relations in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries. This study aims to analyse the security prospects of the Baltic region in view of the changes in the overall geopolitical situation in Europe and in the relations between Russia and ...
Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
... European perception of major security challenges and threats (that Latvia may or may not agree with). A systemic approach to studying the role of Latvia in the territorial system of European security requires a solid theoretical framework. The theories of international relations discussed in this article fall into two categories: those where territorial security systems are viewed as a product of external factors, and those that focus on internal regional factors. In this article, the authors rely on a variety of methods,...
International Cooperation and International Relations
Saint-Petersburg in the Baltic Sea region
The article describes the place of St Petersburg in international cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of the Baltic region as one of the priorities of the international relations of the city. The authors show continual attention of Saint-Petersburg to developing international relations in the Baltic Sea region. The article indicates one of the most important areas of international cooperation – the participation of ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... Ardishvili, A. 1991, Predprinimatel'skie seti — novaja forma organizacii mezhfirmennogo vzaimodejstvija [Business networks — a new form of organization of inter-firm cooperation], Mirovaja ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 4, p. 70—80.
28. Tretiak, O. A. Rumyantsev, M. N. 2003, Setevye formy mezhfirmennoj kooperacii: podhody k ob#jasneniju fenomena [Network forms of inter-firm cooperation: approaches to the explanation of the phenomenon], Rossijskij zhurnal ...
A methodology for research on international cooperation on marine environment protection: application of the Baltic Sea practices to the northern seas
... for Danish Foreign Policy:The Ilulissat Initiative and its Implications. In: Danish Foreign Policy Yearbook 2009. [online] Available at: <www. diis. dk/sw82334.asp> (Accessed 10 September 2010).
methodology, international relations, international law, world politics, Baltic Sea region, Arctic, northern seas, marine environment protection, common security, world politics and transnational approaches
Innovative education for the Baltic region: the experience of the Finnish-Russian Cross-border University
The article defines the innovative features of teaching international relations in the Baltic Sea Region at the graduate level, taking as an example the double degree program in international relations of the Finnish-Russian Cross-Border University, set up by the St. Petersburg State University and the University of Tampere ...
Transformation of global value chains in Russia and the Baltics amid Covid-19: prospects for regionalization and implications for economic policy
... potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations, Balt. Reg., no. 3, p. 76—84. doi:
12. Veebel, V., Markus, R. 2008, The bust, the boom and the sanctions in trade relations with Russia, Journal of International Studies, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 9—20. doi:
13. Fedorov, G. M. 2018, Russian Federation in the Baltic Region: Political Relations and Economic Development in 1992—2017, Polis. Politicheskie ...
The Vilnius issue in international relations: the historiography of the problem
... roku, Białystok, p.114—119.
13. Asharchuk, V. A. 2010, Vilenskaja problema v istoriografii [Wilensky problem in the historiography], Belorusskij zhurnal mezhdunarodnogo prava i mezhdunarodnyh otnoshenij [Belarusian Journal of International Law and International Relations], no. 4, available at: http://evolutio. info/index. php?option
=com_content &task=view&id=1761&Itemid=232 (accessed 17 November 2011).
14. Römeris, M. 1996, Lenkų ir lietuvių ginčas, Lietuvių atgimimo istorijos studijos, Vol. 13, p. 246—254....
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
The processes related to the development of international tourism in Lithuania are of importance for the growth of economic, social, and cultural welfare. The increasing tourist and recreational attractiveness of such cities as Druskininkai, Trakai, Palanga, Vilnius, and Klaipeda to international ...
Indirect translation: Main trends in practice and research
... literary translation. Translation Studies, 10 (2), pp. 166—182.
Zaborov, P., 1963. “The mediating literature” in the history of Russian-Western literary relations. In: M. P. Alekseev (ed.). Mezhdunarodnye sviazi russkoi literatury [International relations of Russian literature]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo Akademii Nauk, pp. 64—85.
Zaborov, P., 2011. Die Zwischenübersetzung in der Geschichte der russischen Literatur. In: H. Kittel et al. (eds.). Übersetzung. Translation. Traduction. Ein internationals Handbuch zur Übersetzungforschung. An International Encyclopedia of Translation Studies. Encyclopédie internationale de la recherche sur la traduction. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, pp. 2066—2073.
indirect translation, indirect translation ...
Baltic Factor in Russia-France Relations
... authors attach significance to analysing the dynamics and changes of the BSR role in European politics in the post- Napoleonic period. The authors compare the Russian and the July Monarchies (1830—1848) in the context of the current Vienna system of international relations. The article describes the role of the 1830—1831 uprising in Poland, which was an event of particular importance. The monarchies of the two countries had to take into account new social phenomena, which were more pronounced in France. After ...
Current problems in Russian-Latvian relations
... http://kurs.ru/news/50154/seym-latvii-progolosoval-za-vstuplenie-v-evrozonu (accessed 10 May 2013).
Mezhevich Nikolay, Sazanovich Lyudmila
economic problems, Latvia, economy, Russiaт influence, economic cooperation, transport and energy projects, international relations
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... [Pskov regional Journal], no. 12, p. 3—9.
4. Kuznetsov, А. 2008, Prjamye inostrannye investicii: «jeffekt sosedstva» [Foreign direct investment, "neighborhood effect"], Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 40—47.
5. Lexin, V. N., Shevtsov, A. N. 2000, Gosudarstvo i regiony. Teorija i praktika gosudarstvennogo regulirovanija territorial'nogo razvitija [States and regions. The theory and practice of state regulation of territorial ...
The international legal regulation of the status of voluntary human shields
Обычное международное гуманитарное право. Т
Bouchie de Belle S.
Chained to Cannons or Wearing Targets on Their T-shirts: Human Shields in International Humanitarian Law // International Review of the Red Cross. 2008. Vol. 90. №
on the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 / ed. by J. Pictet. Vol. 4. Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War. Geneva, 1960.
to the Additional Protocols of 8 June 1977 to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 (Protocol I) / C. Pilloud, Y. Sandoz, Ch. Swinarsky. ICRC, 1987.
Historical memory in the age of globalization: the case of Russian- Estonian relations
... analysis of academic discourses on globalization and historical memory, the author arrives at two conclusions. On the one hand, the proponents of globalization use historical memory as one of their arguments: they claim that the history of globalization in international relations stretches back to the 19th century, thus globalization is an irreversible process. On the other hand, globalization attaches international significance to historical events that were earlier considered as being of local importance. The author ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
International cluster is a relatively new form of spatial organisation of economy in the globalisation conditions, which has become a frequent phenomenon in European countries, including those of the Baltic region. It requires a comprehensive study of both regional economics and ...
Good-neighbourly relations and the European Neighbourhood Policy — What is the Difference?
... contemporary documents, the author shows the difference between the settled notion of good-neighbourly relations and the recently introduced one — the European Neighbourhood Policy. The ENP ab initio absorbs the old term, which characterises the symmetric relation of international agents in the framework of the Westphalian system and foregrounds the Euro-centred model of asymmetrical relations. It creates certain difficulties in the development of Russia-EU relations, especially, in terms of Russia’s participation ...
Poland’s Foreign Policy Mechanisms: Legal Framework and Policy Analysis
... in Central-Eastern Europe], Saratov. (In Russ.)
3. Allison, G. 1971, Essence of decision: explaining the Cuban missile crisis, Boston, Little Brown.
4. Bieleń, S. 2008, Deficyt realizmu w polskiej polityce zagranicznej, Stosunki Międzynarodowe, International Relations, Warszawa. Vol. 38, no. 3—4, p. 9—29.
5. Garlicki, L. 2004, Polskie prawo konstytucyjne. Zarys wykładu, Warszawa.
6. Grodzki, R. 2009, Polska polityka zagraniczna w XX i XXI wieku. Główne kierunki — fakty — ludzie — wydarzenia [Poland’s ...
A unified and harmonised European law and its impact on third countries
Having transferred the title on visas, asylum, immigration and other policies related to free movement of persons from the third pillar into the Treaty on European Community, the Amsterdam Treaty vested legislative power in the European Community in the fields of international civil procedure and private international law. On the basis of this power, the European Community enacted a series of Regulations, which will soon unify both areas of law. Such unification will not only facilitate legal relations within ...
The openness of the Russian economy: tendencies and international comparison
This paper assesses the level of openness of the Russian economy. It demonstrates that the openness indicators used in the Concept of Long-term Social and Economic Development of the Russian Federation differ from those employed by international organisations. The paper examines the intensity of Russian trade in terms of its gross domestic product and the relatively high barriers in relation to import penetration in Russia. Methodological differences determine the differences in the analysis results.
1. Gosudarstvennyj komitet Rossijskoj Federacii po statistike. [online] Available at: <http://www....
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation: Optimistic future!
Since the establishment of the People's Republic of China in 1949, the relations within the USA-USSRChina triangle had strong influence on the whole system of international relations. The turnaround in Russian-Chinese relations from sharp confrontation in the Soviet era to current rapprochement, which started to take shape after the collapse of the Soviet Union, became a significant factor in world politics. The gradual ...
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
1. Aydin M.
Regional cooperation in the
and the role of institutions // Perceptions Journal of International Affairs. 2005. Vol. 10.
Adjacent Internationalism, The Concept of Solidarity and Post-Cold War Nordic-Baltic Relations, in Cooperation and Conflict // Journal of the Nordic International Studies Association. 2006. Vol. 41.
Buzan B., Wæver O.
Regions and Powers, The structure of International Security.
Le autostrade dell’Artico, in Limes, Rivista italiana di geopolitica, Partita ...
The “Polish question” in Soviet-German relations in the second half of the 1920s (based on the materials of the USSR consulate in Königsberg)
... pereselencev. Pervye gody Kaliningradskoj oblasti v vospominanijah i dokumentah [East Prussia through the eyes of Soviet immigrants. The first years of the Kaliningrad region in the memoirs and documents], 2002, Saint Petersburg, Belvedere.
international relations, ‘Polish question’, USSR, Germany, consulate, Königsberg, Polish corridor, Free city of Danzig, 1920s
Euroregions as a factor of successful international integration in modern conditions
... certain states may be an indicator of economy's resilience to potential shocks. The provisions set forth in the article contribute to an improvement of the scientific understanding of political regionalistics and take the current understanding of the international system to the level of cross-border relations and institutions creating a system of interrelated elements of macro-regional and national building. The results can be applied in the development of a conceptual and legal framework for the construction of cross-border political formations ...
Investigation of discharge chamber insulator relative erosion of stationary plasma thruster
The results of investigations of relative erosion at different modes of the stationary plasma thruster operation are presented herein. The optimal parameters of ... ..., Nadiradze A. B., Shkarban I. I., Zikeeva Y. V. SPT’s high lifetime — some problems of solution // IEPC-2005—62, 29th International Electric Propulsion Conference. Princeton, 2005. Р. 1—10.
2. Karabadzhak G. F., Semenkin A. V., Tverdokhlebov ...
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
... 1946—2016. The authors set out to identify the main results of Russian-Polish cross-border cooperation in the context of the changing historical and political paradigms in the Baltic region. The authors conduct a brief historical analysis of this sphere of international relations. The genesis of integration at the regional level is explored by identifying the major areas and tools for collaboration. The authors address research works of Russian (Soviet) and Polish researchers, intergovernmental agreements, EU-Russia ...
The role of trade and economic factors in English-Russian relations of the second half the of the 19th/beginning of the 20th century
... Б. Виноградова. СПб., 2005.
4. Институт русской Цивилизации. Внешняя торговля. URL: http://www.rusinst.ru/articletext (дата обращения: 10.09.2012).
5. Statistical tables and charts relating Britain and Foreign trade and industry (1854—1909). L., 1909.
6. Тimes. 1855. 19 June.
7. Hobson J. A. Richard Cobden. The International Man. L., 1968.
8. Моrning Post. 1855. 15 May.
9. Менделеев Д. И. Толковый тариф, или Исследование о развитии промышленности России в связи с ее общим таможенным ...
Transborder corporate integration in the Baltic Sea Region
... Russia’s considerable foreign direct investment in the Baltic States.
1. Burnaeva, E. M. 2007, Finljandija: tendencii zarubezhnogo investirovanija [Finland: trends of foreign investment], Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 7, p. 30—39.
2. Volkov, A. M. 2005, Shvecija: investicionnaja model' v dejstvii [Sweden: The investment model in action], Sovremennaja Evropa [Modern Europe], no. 1, p. 54—62.
3. Kuznetsov, A. V. (ed). 2008, ES i Rossija: ot prjamyh ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... Increasing separation between poor and rich, Urban Geography, p. 1—22. DOI: 10.1080/02723638.2016.1228371.
16. Simonyan, R. 2011, Russia and EU: Baltic Potential of Economic Integration, Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 4, p. 48—59, available at:
17. Council of the Baltic Sea States Strategy on Sustainable Development 2010—2015, 2011, The International ...
Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project
... Integracionnye processy v stranah Vyshegradskoj gruppy: rol' koncepcii Central'noj Evropy [Integration processes in the Visegrad countries: the role of the Central European concept], Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 7, p. 23.
21. Lykoshina, L. S. 2014, Evropa, Evropejskij vektor razvitija Pol'shi. Voz-vrashhenie k istokam ili poisk novoj identichnosti? [Europe, European vector of de-velopment of Poland. Back to basics, or search for a new identity?...
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
7. Mezhevich, N. M. 2000, Mezhdunarodnye organizacii Baltijskogo morja: osnovnye napravlenija i rol' v formirovanii sistemy mezhdunarodnyh otnoshenij [International organizations of the Baltic Sea: the main directions and role in the system of international relations], St. Petersburg, p. 3.
8. Narodnoe hozjajstvo SSSR v 1988 g. [The national economy of the USSR in 1988], 1988, Moscow, p. 766.
9. Regiony Rossii. Osnovnye harakteristiki sub#ektov Rossijskoj Federacii [Regions of Russia. The main characteristics ...
Diplomatic protocol as a tool of international economic relations
... June 2011).
6. Forum-vystavka "Sluzhba protokola" [Forum and Exhibition " Service Protocol"], available at: http://protocol-service. ru (accessed 09 June 2011).
diplomatic protocol, state protocol, business protocol, international economic relations
Implementation of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) code and amendments to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS 74/78) for ship-building
... Bloomington, 2004. Vol. 16. P. 55—73.
24. Short J. Transport and Terrorism // ECMT News. A newsletter from the European Conference of Ministers of Transport. 2002. № 14. P. 6—8.
25. Wolfrum R. Fighting Terrorism at Sea: Options and Limitations under International Law // Legal challenges in maritime security. Leiden, 2008. P. 3—40.
26. Guidance Relating to the Implementation of SOLAS Chapter XI-2 and the ISPS Code : MSC/Circ.1111 [Электронный ресурс] / International Maritime Organization. URL:
(дата обращения: ...
EU — Russia energy cooperation: major development trends and the present state
... previous stages and assess the current state of EU — Russia energy dialogue, since they set out conditions for energy cooperation in the Baltic Sea region. This research is based on a political and legal analysis of various documents and employs various international relations theories (including integration theories). The article demonstrates that the EU nd Russia have made a transition to the integration agenda manifested in the Energy Dialogue (its current goal is the creation of a common European energy market)....
The theoretical framework a teacher’s cross-cultural compe-tence: International practice
... Identification and assessment of intercultural competence as a student outcome of internationalization // Journal of Studies in Intercultural Educa¬tion. 2006. № 10. P. 241—266.
10. Fantini A. E. Language, culture, and worldview: Exploring the nexus // International Journal of Intercultural Relations. 1995. № 19. P. 143—153.
11. Ganesh S. & Holmes P. Positioning intercultural dialogue — theories, pragmatics, and an agenda // Journal of International and Intercultural Communication. 2011. № 4 (2). P. 81—86.
12. Hammer M. R., Bennett ...
International relations of the North-West federal district of the Russian Federation and the New North concept
... Wider European Policies // Visions of European Security — Focal Point Sweden and Northern Europe. Olof Palme International Center.
29. Paulauskas, K. 2004. Baltic Defence Rewiew, № 11, Vol. 1, pp. 107—113.
regional external relations, New North concept, international organisations, Northern Dimension, soft security
Regulation trends of international cooperation at the regional level
Правительства Калининградской области.
Borodavkina N. Ju.
foreign commerce, foreign economic relations , integration
processes, foreign economic policy, international agreements, euroregions
Internal migration as studied by political science
... possible to consider internal migration as a significant social determinant. In analysing theoretical and methodological approaches, I determine the scope of their applicability in political science. I conclude that the features of research into internal migration depend largely on changes in the perception of this phenomenon within the demographic, sociological, economic, and other related approaches.
1. Василенко П. В. Зарубежные теории миграции населения // Псковский регионологический журнал. 2013. № 16. С. 36—42.
2. Вишневский А. Г....
The Polish minority in the Republic of Lithuania: internal and external factors
The ethnic makeup of the population significantly affects the domestic policy of any state, and its relations with neighbouring countries. Although interactions with ethnic minorities are not as urgent a problem in Lithuania as they are in the two other Baltic States, ethnicity-related conflicts continue to occur, particularly, as regards the relations ...
The European Court of Justice case of Elgafaji: the interaction between EU law and international humanitarian law
... of international court rulings on the development of new concepts within international law, in particular, the concept of subsidiary protection to persons who fall outside the scope of the 1951 Refugee Convention. The author also considers the issues related to the concept of indirect effect in EU law, as well as the interaction between the EU and international law.
1. Judgment on joint cases №C-402/05 and 415./05 Jasin Abdullah Kadi and Al Barakaat International Foundation v. Council of the European Union and the Commission of the European Communities, 2008, European Court Report, I-0635....
Forms of International Cooperation in Environmental Education: the Experience of Saint Petersburg State University
... programme taught in English. The “Baltic University” is a network of more than 200 universities from 14 counties of the Baltic Sea region. This education programme offers an opportunity for students to enroll on bachelor and master degree programmes related to environmental and social problems of the Baltic Sea region. The Polar and Marine Sciences, POMOR master programme, represents the second form of international environmental education. Russian and German researchers from six universities and four research centres have developed the programme. The target group of the programme are Russian and international students, studying together during the ...