The Polish minority in the Republic of Lithuania: internal and external factors
The ethnic makeup of the population significantly affects the domestic policy of any state, and its relations with neighbouring countries. Although interactions with ethnic minorities are not as urgent a problem in Lithuania as they are in the two other Baltic States, ethnicity-related conflicts continue to occur, particularly, as regards the relations between the Lithuanian state and the Polish minority, which is the ...
The destinies of the Russian minority in Gdansk (translated from Polish by L. Maltsev)
... 1920-1930s. The author considers the participation of Russian emigrants in the political, business, and cultural life of Gdansk and their relationships with the local authorities. Special attention is paid to the political competition among the Russian minority, the activity of religious, cultural, and educational organisations. The article offers a review of Russian periodicals published in Gdansk. It is emphasised that a specific feature of the social and political life of the Russian minority in ...
Estonian Political Parties in the mid-2010s
... countries, some of its elements are more common to postcommunist countries. It indicates that the political party system in Estonia has stabilized throughout the past decade. Today, five sixths of voters support one of the four main political parties. A minority of voters does not consider any of the four dominant parties as a representative of their interests; thus, they vote for parties that had not been previously represented in the parliament. This allowed for two minor political parties to pass ...
Polish National Minority in East Prussia in Context of German-Polish Relations (1918-1939)
The influence of German-Polish relations on the status of the Polish national minority in East Prussia in 1918—1939 is considered in the article.
Criminalistic characteristics of crimes committed by intoxicated minors
Characteristic features of crimes committed by intoxicated minors (as an object of forensic investigation) present an interesting area of research for both practitioners and scholars. These characteristic features include the following ones: data about the type, mechanism, and the setting of a crime (place, time,...
Latvian policy on the Russian-language education
... school unchanged. The transformations were not long in coming — already in 1995 amendments to the law on the primary school and gymnasium were adopted, proclaiming the need to introduce several subjects in the Latvian language in schools for national minorities. The largest reforms were carried out in 2004, when high school in Russian-language schools (grades 10—12) was required to study in a 60/40 ratio — at least 60 % of subjects in Latvian and no more than 40 % in Russian. The second package ...
Seven minor notes. 1788—1791
Kant I. (translated by A. I. Trotsak, edited by I. D. Koptsev)
Ethno-confessional immigrant ghettos as a national security problem in Denmark’s social and political discourse
... religious principles that are often at odds with the democratic values of Danish society guide the actions of ghetto residents. Danish social and political discourse pictures this ideological difference between the host society and Muslim immigrant minorities as a potential threat to Denmark’s national security caused by a combination of political, social, and economic factors. The ensuing social disunity and violation of the country’s territorial integrity take the problem to a regional and ...
The «(Un)Encapsulation» of the Political Elites of Latvia and Estonia and Russian-speaking Minorities
1. Dreifelds J. Latvia in Transition. Cambridge, 1996.
2. Political Representation and participation in Transitional Democracies: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania / Loftsson E., Choe Y., eds. Sodertoerns hoegskola, 2003.
3. Rozenvalds J. Latvia After Twelve Years of Renewed Independence: the Search for Normality // Latvijas Universitātes Raksti. 663. sēj. Rīga, 2004.
Alternative to criminal prosecution against accused juveniles
... criminal prosecution in relation to accused juveniles. Methodologically, the article relies on general scientific methods: logical and systemic ones, the method of analysis and comparison. The author argues that mediation is possible only in relation to minors aged 14 to 16 years. The mediation criteria system is analyzed and the obtained results are based both on the theoretical postulates of the criminal process and on an empirical basis (a survey was conducted among the subjects of law enforcement ...
The political elite recruitment in the Baltic: the role of the ethnic factor
... the population of the USSR (according to the Soviet census of 1989)], 1991, Moscow, Finansy i statistika.
3. Rozenvalds, Ju. 2012, Russkojazychnoe men'shinstvo v politicheskoj elite Latvii i Estonii: perspektivy «(de)germetizacii» [Russian-speaking minority in the political elite of Latvia and Estonia: Perspectives "(de) sealing"]. In: Gaman Golutvina, O. V., Klemeshev, A. P. (eds.) Politicheskie elity v staryh i novyh demokratijah [Political elites in old and new democracies], Kaliningrad,...
Kant, Nietzsche, and the Enlightenment: A comparative analysis
..., vol. 6, Moscow.
7. Kant, I. 1966, K vechnomu miru [Perpetual Peace] in Kant, I. Sochineniya v 6 t. [Collected works in 6 volumes], vol. 6, Moscow.
8. Kruglov, A. N. 2014, Nesovershennoletie i zadacha istoricheskogo preobrazovania obraza myshlenia [Minority and the problem of historical transformation of the way of thinking], IX Kantovskiechteniya… [IX Kantian reading…], p. 73—79.
9. Kumpf, F. 2007, Ponyatie razuma u Kanta i ego videnie permanentnogo Prosveshcheniya [Kantian concept of the ...
A Critique of Latvian Integration
... identitātes daudzveidīgie aspekti // Latviešu valoda — robežu paplašināšana. Rīga, 2005.
15. Druviete I. Latviešu valodas attīstība un standartizācija // Latviešu valoda 15 neatkarības gados. Rīga, 2007.
16. Dzenovska D. How to Be a Minority: The Politics of Conduct and Difference in the New Europe (в печати).
17. Edwards J. Challenges in the Social Life of Language. Basingstoke, 2011.
18. Ernstsone V. Ikdienas runas normas pedagoģiskie aspekti // Valoda-2001.Humanitārās ...
Historical and linguistic analysis of the Kaliningrad regional oronimics
The article distinguishes the specificity of the renaming of different land forms. The renaming was carried out after the former East Prussia had become part of the Soviet Union. The article has a special focus on describing minor errors, comparison of the original oronyms with the new ones, and eliciting the ways of coordination between them.
1. Петешова О. В. Способы согласования топонимов при переименовании (на ...
Language interaction in trilingualism
... значений: дис. ... канд. филол. наук. Тобольск
Cenoz J., Hufeisen B.
Cross-Linguistic Influence in Third Language Acquisition Psycholinguistic Perspectives. Clevedon, 2001.
Languages, Literacy and Minority Rights Group. L
Tolmacheva I. A.
language interaction, language contacts, trilingualism
The epiphytic lichens growing on roadside deciduous trees in the north-west of the Kaliningrad region
This article presents the first attempt to study the fruticose and foliose lichens of the pre-war plantings alongside minor roads in the Slavsk district of the Kaliningrad region. It is the first study of the deciduous roadside plantings in this area. The authors determined predominant species, analysed the wood species composition and came to the conclusion that the ...
Studies into the history of Russian Neo-Kantianism in Poland
... An outline of general didactics (Selected works. Vol. 4) / ed. W. Okon]. Warsaw.
51. Hessen S. 1997 (e), Moje zycie. Pier. A. Kaminskiego [My life. Trans. A. Kaminski] // Hessen S. Pisma pomniejsze (Dziela wybrane. Т. 5) / sost. W. Okon [Hessen S. Minor writings. (Selected works. Vol. 5) / ed. W. Okon]. Warsaw, p. 45—47.
52. Hessen S. 1997 (f), Pisma pomniejsze (Dziela wybrane. Т. 5) / sost. W. Okon [Minor writings (Selected works. Vol. 5) / ed. W. Okon]. Warsaw.
53. Hessen S. 2003, Panstwo ...
The historical and national sources of the development of the modern Polish-Lithuanian conflict
... «Междуморья»: Кто работает на Варшаву?.. URL:http://politico.ua/blogpost32104 (дата обращения: 24.05.2012).
Kretinin G. V., Fedorov G. M.
Poland, Lithuania, union, Polonization, conflict, Vilnius issue, ethnic minorities, relations, bilingualism.
Ideology of English monolingualism as the basis of the US language policy
... обращения: 30.07.2011).
14. Language Use in the United States: 2007 // U. S. Census Bureau. URL: http://www.census.gov./population/www/socdemo/language/appendix.html (дата обращения: 30.07.2011).
Skachkova I. I.
monolingualism, minority languages, multilingualism, official language, the language policy.
A ‘Secret alliance’ or ‘Freedom from any alliances’? NATO accession debate in Sweden and Finland, 1991—2016
... security. Russian politics in the region may provoke them to take such a step. A referendum on joining the bloc seems to be highly unlikely; even though after the Crimean events, the number of NATO supporters in the two countries increased, they remained a minority. The authors conclude that both countries are involved in a “creeping” integration with NATO after they have become actors of the EU defence strategy. There is a minimum probability of Sweden and Finland’s becoming full members of the Alliance....
I. Kant on religion, faith, god, and church
... authors trace both the evolution of Kant’s ideas on religion and the consistency and systematicity of changes in the philosopher’s views. The published Lectures confirm the fact that Kant never considered the problems of philosophy of religion as minor ones. When comparing the two major works on religion, one cannot but notice the difference between objects constituting the logic of Kant’s reasoning. In the Lectures, this object is theology as a scientific discipline concerned with knowledge ...
Subspecies affiliation of some nesting bird species in the Kaliningrad region — 1. Non-passeriformes
... Historiae Naturalis. 1925. Vol. 4, № 2. P. 75—84.
4. Domaniewski J. Übersicht einheimischer Formen der Familie der Spechte // Polska Akademja Umiejętności. 1927. Vol. 62. P. 135—143.
5. Domaniewski J. Die geografischen Formen von Dryobates minor (L.) // Annales Zoologici Musei Polonici Historiae Naturalis. 1927. Vol. 6, № 1. P. 60—93.
6. Гричик В. В. Географическая изменчивость птиц Беларуси: таксономический анализ....
Social conflicts as seen by residents of Saint Petersburg: An empirical study
... policy and civil society. The author describes the attitudes of Saint Petersburg residents to various social conflicts. They believe that religious and ethnic conflicts are the most dangerous ones and consider ‘conflicts over property and status’ a minor threat. Residents, associating themselves with the middle class, are more inclined to stress the danger of religious conflicts compared to those who associate themselves with the lower class, which is corroborated by a comparison of real incomes....
Construction works impact on the vegetation in the сoastal zone of the Pregolya river in Kaliningrad
... communities and their species composition has changed. Some species have fell out of communities or reduced their projective coverage; some communities in the city center have disappeared. Inherent to the β-mesosaprobic and eutrophic waters, Lemna minor, Cladophora glomerata have increased their abundance in communities, acting as dominants and codominants. The most significant changes in the river vegetation have been identified for two districts. Since 2013, associations with the dominance of ...
Intonological aspect of the vocal form of the language (on the example of the Russian choir)
... studying the melody of Russian opera choirs by means of music and linguistic intonation analysis. The author has revealed the tendencies in expressing emotional meanings and discovered harmonic differences between the motive patterns (melodemes) of minor and major choir.
1. Асафьев Б. В. Музыкальная форма как процесс. М. ; Л., 1971.
2. Антипова А. М. Единая интонология и триадичность мышления // Академические ...
The “Polish question” in Soviet-German relations in the second half of the 1920s (based on the materials of the USSR consulate in Königsberg)
... the nature of bilateral relations. The consulate documents indicate that Soviet diplomacy aspired to exploit the differences between Poland and Germany over a wide range of issues (the geopolitical situation of East Prussia, the position of national minorities, the problem of transit through the Polish corridor, the status of the Free city of Danzig, etc.). Soviet consuls carefully observed political life in Königsberg and the province. On the one hand, they paid attention to an increase in the ...
The social and pedagogical determinants of inclusive education: A comparative analysis of Western and Russian ideas
... Шеманова. М., 2012. С. 6—17.
11. Amaladoss K. Supporting children with autistic spectrum disorders in a mainstream classroom // Supporting inclusive practice / ed. G. Knowles. L. ; N. Y., 2006. P. 111—125.
12. Archer L. The impossibility of minority ethic educational «success»?: an examination of the discourses of teachers and pupils in British secondary schools // Equality, participation and inclusion 2: Diverse contexts / ed. J. Rix [et al.]. L. ; N. Y., 2010. P. 232—250.
13. Armstrong ...
Social capital: a threat of negative application
... Lappé M., Du Bois Р. М. Building Social Capital without Looking Backward // National Civic Review. 1997. Vol. 86. Р. 119—128.
20. Likert R. The Human Organization. N. Y., 1967.
21. Loury G. A Dynamic Theory of Racial Income Differences // Women, Minorities, and Employment Discrimination. Lexington, 1977. Р. 153—188.
22. Niceforo A. L’io profondo e le sue maschere: psicologia oscura degli individui e dei gruppi social. Miiano, 1949. URL:
The Impact of COVID-19 on immigration: the transformation of Norwegian migration policy on asylum seekers
... institutional constraints were used to deal with the spread of COVID-19 and how they affected immigration to the country.
Due to complexity reasons, we focus exclusively on the situation of asylum seekers, giving additional attention to unaccompanied minors. These groups’ migration status is assumed to make them especially susceptible to the newly established immigration measures. Drawing upon a combined focus of data on migration regulations and asylum application statistics, we examine what impact ...
The Baltic Finnish Peoples Divided by State and Administrative Borders: Territorial Development of the Karelians, Vepsians, and Setos
... result of migration and di vision of their ethnic territory by political borders takes place at an accelerated rate. The study makes it possible to formulate certain recommendations and improve the measures to maintain the language and culture of ethnic minorities of the Russian North-West.
1. Bulkin, А. А. 2005, Geograficheskaja razobshhennost' i subjetnosy karel [Geographical dispersion and Karel subethnos], thesis abstract , Saint Petersburg, 22 p.
2. Zherbin, А. S. 1956, Pereselenie karel v ...
Islamic Diffusion in the Baltics: The Fruit of European Multiculturalism
(accessed 11.04.2017). DOI: 10.1093/019925754X.001.0001
18. Kymlicka W. 1998, Finding Our Way. Rethinking Ethnocultural Relations in Canada, Toronto, Oxford, N. Y., p. 102.
19. Kymlicka, W. 1995, Multicultural Citizenship: A Liberal Theory of Minority Rights, Oxford, 296 p.
20. Leiken, S. 2004, Bearers of Global Jihad? Immigration and National Security after 9/11, Washington, p. 44—48.
21. Nielsen, S. J. 2012, Islam in Denmark: The Challenge of Diversity, ed., Lanham MD, Lexington, 262 p....
The international legal regulation of the status of voluntary human shields
... al v The Government of Israel et al, Judgment, 13 December 2006.
URL: http://slomanson.tjsl.edu/israeli_SCt_Targeted_Killing_Case.pdf (дата обращения: 1.07.11).
High Court of Justice, Adalah — The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel et al. v. GOC Central Command, IDF et al., Judgment of 6 October 2005 // International Legal Materials.
2006. Vol. 45. March. P. 491—502.
Rights Watch, International Humanitarian Law Issues in a Potential War ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
11. Every fifth inhabitant of the European Union in 2050 will be a Muslim, 2009, Vesti. Ru, available at:
. vesti. ru/doc. html?id=308452 (accessed 08.04.2016). (In Russ.)
12. Klupt, M. А. 2011, Immigrant minorities of Western countries: geo-demographic dynamics in the 2000s, Izvestiya Russkogo Geograficheskogo Obshchestva [Regional Research of Russia], Vol. 143, no. 6, p. 22—29. (In Russ.)
13. Klupt, M. А. 2014, Paradigms and modern demography ...
A unified and harmonised European law and its impact on third countries
... Privatrechtsvereinheitlichung heute und morgen [European Private Law Unification today and tomorrow], Tübingen.
36. Uerpmann-Wittzack, R., Edenharter, A. 2009, Subsidiaritätsklage als parlamentarisches
Minderheitsrecht [Subsidiarity action as a parliamentary minority right], Europarecht [European Law], no 3, p. 313.
unification, harmonisation, European Private International Law, European law of International Civil Procedure, European Civil Code
On crisis trends in the legitimacy of the political regimes of the Baltic States
5. Rozenvalds, Yu. 2012, Problema «(de)germetizacii» politicheskoj jelity Latvii i Jestonii: perspektivy russkojazychnogo men'shinstva [The problem of "(de) sealing" of the political elite of Latvia and Estonia: Russian-speaking minority perspectives], Sravnitel'naja politika [Comparative Politics], no. 3(9), p. 149-161.
6. Habermas, Yu. 2010, Problema legitimacii pozdnego kapitalizmа [The problem of legitimation of late capitalism], Moscow, p. 118.
7. Edinger, М. 2010, ...
Territorial differences in the attitudes to the migration crisis in Germany: The political aspect
... Influencing Immigration Attitudes: An Analysis of Data From the General Social Survey, Soc. Sci. J., no. 38, p. 177—188.
13. Sniderman, P. M., Hagendoorn, L., Prior, M. 2004, Predisposing Factors and Situational Triggers: Exclusionary Reactions to Immigrant Minorities, Am. Polit. Sci. Rev., Vol. 98, no. 1, p. 35—49.
14. Albertson, B., Gadarian, S. 2012, Who's Afraid of Immigration? The Effects of Pro- and Anti-Immigrant Threatening Ads among Latinos, African Americans and Whites. In: Freeman, G., Hansen,...