Demographic Ranking of the Baltic Sea States
... persistence of wide territorial disparities in major indicators. The authors identify opposite trends in ranking based on the standardised birth (country consolidation at the level of averaged values) and mortality (polarisation) rates. The features of demographic process development in the Baltic regions states are described against the global and European background. The study confirmed the validity of the demographic ranking method, which can be instrumental in solving not only scientific but also practical ...
Natural Increase in the Baltic South and South-West
42. Muzlova G. D. Vnišnââ torgovlâ stran central´no-vostočnoj Europy: regional ´nye tendencji 1990-h godov // Izvestiâ Rosijskoj akademii nauk. Seriâ gegrafičeskaâ.2002. № 2. P. 63—70.
43. Nikolai S. Geography of modern population processes in Russia: main features, tendencies, problems // Polish Population Review. 1998. № 13.P. 19—32.
44. Palmowski T., Michalski T., Wendt J. Demographic problems of the Kaliningrad Oblast. // Conferinţa Ştiinţifică Internatională «Politici Economice de Integrare Europeană» (23—24 septembrie 2005). Chişinău, 2005. P. 230—233.
45. Philipov D., Kohler H.-P. Tempo Effects in the ...
Current Issues in the Geodemographic Studies in Russia
... period do 2015 goda. Odobrena rasporjazheniem Pravitel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii ot 24 sentjabrja 2001 goda N 1270-r [Concept of Demographic Development of the Russian Federation for the period until 2015. Approved by the Federal Government on September 24,... ... jetnoassimiljacionnyh processov (na primere naselenija Privolzhskogo federal'nogo okruga) [Geolemographic etnoassimilyatsionnyh research processes (for example, the population of the Volga Federal District)], Geografija i prirodnye resursy [Geography and natural ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
... Obshchestva [Regional Research of Russia], no. 2, p. 83—94. (In Russ.)
8. Degusarova, V. S., Martynov, V. L., Sazonova, I. E. 2015, Demographic development in Poland during the years of its membership in the European Union, Izvestiya Russkogo Geograficheskogo ... ... ekonomicheskie, sotsial'nye, kul'turnye i ekologicheskie protsessy [Mosaic urban spaces: economic, social, cultural and ecological processes], Collected materials of All-Russian scientific conference, Moscow, MSU, 27—29 November 2015, p. 79 -84. (In Russ....
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... ee chastej [The population of the Kaliningrad region. Demographic conditions justify territorial complex schemes of urban development planning in the Kaliningrad region and its parts], Kaliningrad.
11. Khrushchev, S. A. 2010, The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states, Balt. Reg., no. 2 (6). DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2010-4-9.
12. Kostyashov, Yu. V. 2009, Sekretnaja istorija Kaliningradskoj oblasti. Ocherki 1945—1956 gg. [The Secret History of the Kaliningrad region. Essays, 1945—1956],...
The demographic problems of the Pskov region and the main approaches to solving them at the level of the regional state authorities
This article analyses the demographic problems of the Pskov region. The authors propose a system of government regulation of demographic processes in view of the functions of the regional executive authorities.
1. Predpolagaemaja chislennost' naselenija Pskovskoj oblasti do 2030 goda 2010. In: Statisticheskij bjulleten. Pskov.
2. Pskovskaja oblast v cifrah: statisticheskiy sbornik. 2010....
Demographic change in Germany and reversal of spatial ageing patterns
The paper presents the result of a spatial analysis considering the effect of demographic ageing and ageing-in-place processes in Germany according to spatially differentiated ageing patterns among urban, sub-urban and rural counties up to 2025. As to the latest official population forecast counties of urban core regions will undergo a slower ageing process than other ...
Current demographical processes in the Penza region
This article analyses the basic ethnic groups of the Penza region and identifies the demographic processes taking place within each group. The author comes to a conclusion that these processes are determined by the features of the historical development and socioeconomic standing of the ethnic groups.
1. Белорыбкин Г.Н., Мухамедова ...
Russia-European Union and Russian-Chinese borderlands: economic and demographic dimension
... 1990s and most deeply affected the economy of the Russian periphery. In this article, I rely on the literature, national and regional statistics, and survey results to essay a border region study — a comparative analysis of the socio-economic and demographic processes taking place in Russia’s western regions bordering on the EU and eastern ones bordering on China. My findings may contribute to providing a rationale for the need to abandon a commodity-driven economic model, as well as to creating a broader ...
On demographic development trends in the Kaliningrad region during Perestroika
... Исторические очерки : в 3 т. М., 2011. Т. 3, кн. 2 : 1980—1989.
9. Население СССР. По данным всесоюзной переписи населения 1989 г. М., 1990.
Kaliningrad region, population, demographic processes
The Effect of Migration on Latvia’s Sex and Age Composition
... direction of migration flows for certain Latvian cities. The method for calculating net migration for the selected age groups, described in the article, may narrow the gaps in the current migration statistics and reveal the territorial inhomogeneity of demographic processes.
Zhitin D. V., Krisjane Z., Sechi G.
sex and age composition, population, emigration, Latvia, international migration, demographic situation, depopulation
Typology of the geodemographic situation in the regions of the North-West of Russia
The article evaluates the geodemographic situation at the meso level through complex analysis of demographic, migration, socio-economic processes in the subjects of the North-West Federal District of Russia. The authors have selected 30 assessment indicators which reflect in aggregate the level of demographic development, the quality and standard of living of the population. It allowed ...
The state repatriation programme: four years later
This article analyses the problems of the state voluntary repatriation programme and describes its key functions and implementation mechanisms. The author identifies the causes of deceleration in the repatriation process as well as the weak points of the Programme and the ways to improve it. The article offers data on the resettlement of compatriots over the three years of the Programme implementation, its demographic structure, and the regions of resettlement.
1. Federal'naja migracionnaja sluzhba Rossii. [online] Available at: <http://www.fms.gov.ru> (Accessed 5 Oktober 2010).
2. Chislennost' i migracija naselenija Rossijskoj Federacii v 2009 ...
The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states
This article focuses on the problems pertaining to the regionalisation of geo-demographic situation in the Baltic region. Particular attention is paid to the influence of ethnic factors on the parameters and trends of demographic processes. The author comes to a conclusion about the achievement of demographic homeostasis in most ethnos-nations in the Baltic region.
1. The EU Baltic Sea Region Strategy Towards a Sustainable, Prosperous Future.2009. Brussels: European Commission,...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
This article is dedicated to the problem of increasing spatial polarisation in the population distribution systems of the Leningrad, Novgorod, and Pskov regions. The author examines the impact of development and distribution of factors of production on demographic processes and trends in the transformation of the population distribution system. Based on an analysis of the sectoral structure of economy and demographic development trends, the author proposes a functional typology of urban and rural settlements. He ...
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
... Russian migration movement in 1991—2010 gg.], Vestnik S.-Peterb. Un-ta. Ser. 7 [Bulletin of St. Petersburg. Univ.], no. 4, p. 135—145.
4. Kamkin, A. K. 2013, Demograficheskie processy, migraciya i rynok truda v Zapadnoj Evrope (na primere FRG) [Demographic processes, migration and the labor market in Western Europe (on an example of Germany)]. In: Gromyko, Al. A. Bol'shaya Evropa v global'nom mire: novye vyzovy — novye resheniya (pod red.), Doklady Instituta Evropy, no. 292, Moscow, p. 103—110.
The mortality rate in the Kaliningrad region in the second half of the 1940s—1950s
... изменений //Адаптация народов и культур к изменениям природной среды, социальным и техногенным трансформациям. М., 2010.
Kaliningrad region, population, demographic processes, mortality
Geodemography of the Saint Petersburg Suburbs
... the Leningrad region — a product of the territory’s development in the Soviet period of Russia’s history. The lengthy process of border formation has given it a peculiar character. The most vibrant and attractive areas of the suburbs are located ... ... Petersburg agglomeration. A new settlement system is emerging within the suburban area of Saint Petersburg — the most economically, demographically, and socially vibrant territory of Russia’s North-West.
Degusarova V. S., Martynov V. L., Sazonova I. E....
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
... moreover, it affects not only the size but also its structure of population in the core and periphery areas, which aggravates the processes of depopulation and ageing.
1. Administrativno-territorial'noe delenie sojuznyh respublik SSSR na 1 janvarja 1987 goda ... ... and periphery in regional development], Мoscow.
3. Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. 1991, Demograficheskaja situacija i rasselenie [Demographic situation and the resettlement]. Moscow, 133 p.
4. Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. Veldanova, I. Yu. 1982, Migracija sel'skogo ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... socio-geographical process. This process is a result of the evolving spatial architecture of countries and regions, a lack of balance between the potential of leading cities, economic and settlement projections of global geoecological, geo-economic, and geopolitical processes, the scale and effect of transnational and transboundary contracts, and the changing images of coastal areas. This article analyses the trend towards the ‘drift’ of the demographic potential from the inland territories to the coastal periphery, which has been observed in Russia for centuries. A vast body of empirical data and statistics is used to demonstrate that, during the post-Soviet period, coastalisation has become ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
... the advantageous geo-economic situation. St. Petersburg has certain competitive advantages in the region brought about by its demographic potential, port freight capacity, and the favorable geo-economic position of the "sea gate" of Russia. However,... ... 2010, Mirovoj opyt «zon pererabotki importa» i Kaliningradskaja osobaja jekonomicheskaja zona [World experience "import processing zones" and the Kaliningrad special economic zone], Region sotrudnichestva [Region cooperation], no. 1, p.13—32....
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... Society. On the way to another modernity], Moscow.
3. Rybakovsky, L. L. (ed.), 2003, Demograficheskij ponjatijnyj slovar' [Demographic conceptual dictionary], Moscow.
4. Emelyanova, L. L., Karas, I. S. 2009, Skladyvajushhiesja strategii social'nopsihologicheskoj ... ... Kretinin, G. V. 2010, Migracionnye processy v Kaliningradskoj oblasti i regional'nyj socium: istorija i sovremennost' [Migration processes in the Kaliningrad region and the regional society: Past and Present], Regiony I Pogranicza
[Regions and border regions],...
Migration in the Kaliningrad region reflected in the 1989—2015 censuses and microcensuses
... region stands out for its history and geographical location. In the post-war period, the region was completely repopulated. People from many parts of Russia and other republics of the former USSR were recruited to develop the new territory. Although demographic processes and migration in the Kaliningrad region have been studied in detail, we believe that census and micro-census data can significantly advance the current knowledge of this unique region. This holds true for the data relating to the results of ...
The territorial differentiation of demographic development of the Baltic macroregion
This article is dedicated to the analysis of the territorial features of population change by natural change and migration in the Baltic macroregion and the assessment of the effect of economic development on these processes.
центр «Статистика России». URL:
statrus.info (дата обращения: 09.10.2010).
Migration processes on the Recovered territories in Poland in 1945—1950
... Polish-speaking residents, shows the contradictions and conflicts between them and analyzes the difficulties encountered in the process of their integration. The article concludes that the migration policy for the authorities of the Polish People's Republic ... ... Warszawa, 1967.
24. Wysiedlenia, wypędzenia, ucieczki. 1939—1959: Atlas ziem Polski. Warszawa, 2008.
25. Ziółek B. Basic Demographic Problems in the Polish Western Territories // Polish Western Affairs. 1961. № 1. P. 88—110.
26. Żygulski K....
Problems of the development of pre-agglomeration (semiperipheral) municipalities on the example of the Gvardeysk urban district
... of spatial development of Russia is updated every day. The formation of growth points and the relationship between the center and the periphery affects both economic and social issues, and therefore there is a need to analyze the ongoing economic and demographic processes in municipalities located at different distances from the agglomeration, with the aim of developing effective tools for spatial development that affect the entire territorial socio- economic system (region) The purpose of this study is to identify ...
International Migration in the Periods of Transition and Crisis: the Case of Latvia
Migration processes are amongst the most relevant issues in the geography of the Baltic States. The authors analyse the changes in migration ... ... factors and external influences in the times of transition and global crisis. Long-term emigration exacerbates the problem of demographic change in Latvia.
1. Apsite E., Krišjāne Z., Berzins M. Emigration from Latvia under economic crisis conditions ...
International cross-border migration in the South-East Baltic: factors, structure, consequences
This article presents the results of an integrated research encompassing both the study of migration processes in the South-East Baltic (volume, structure, directions) and the analysis of factors affecting migration mobility of ... .... [online] Available at: <http://www.statrus.info/catalog/readbook.jsp?issue=1041816> (Accessed 28 Oktober 2010).
10. Demographic Yearbook of Poland, Warsaw, 2009 // Central Statistical Office.[online] Available at: <http://www.stat.gov.pl> ...
Demographic development scenarios for the Kaliningrad region
... ensure a stable workforce number and a positive rate of natural increase, against the background of an increasing dependency ratio. The article considers possible measures to increase the birth rate, to reduce the morality rate, and to regulate migration processes.
1. Аналитический отчет по итогам выборочного наблюдения репродуктивных планов населения в 2012 году // Демография / Федеральная служба ...
Population change in global urban regions
... article focuses on the key aspects of population development in the historical cores of leading global urban regions at the stage of globalisation. The research sets out to identify and describe the common — model — and individual features of the demographic modernisation process.
1. Vallerstein, I. 2001. Tipologija krizisov v mirosisteme In: Analiz mirovyh sistem i situacija v sovremennom mire. Saint Petersburg, pp. 109—130.
2. Narodonaselenie: enciklopedicheskij slovar. 2004. Мoscow.
3. O prognoze socialno-ekonomicheskogo ...
Geography of European Migration
... Changes in the migrant stock (total emigration and immigration) reflect the level of involvement in international and global processes. They can serve as an indicator of a country’s attractiveness for both foreigners and the country’s citizens. The ... ... circumstance, such as a colonial past or a common language. The scale of immigrant influx often does not depend on a donor country’s demographic potential or the level of its socio-economic development. The links between the place of origin and destination are ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... organisational type of formation, and specialisation areas. The author analyses the degree of involvement of a Russian region into the processes of international cluster cooperation in the macroregion.
1. Gareev, T. 2012, Clusters in the institutional perspective: ... ... 2011, Territorial'naja differenciacija demograficheskogo razvitija Baltijskogo makroregiona [The territorial differentiation of demographic development of the Baltic macroregion] // Vestnik Rossijskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. I. Kanta [Vestnik ...
Forecasting Actions of Baltic elites: A Scenario Approach
... used to forecast changes in the action models of the Baltic elites. The article stresses the scarcity of internal political processes in the Baltics. However, a significant number of scenarios focusing on military aspects in the Baltics have recently ... ... Ecological Impacts of Not Taking Action, 2008, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.
27. Zvidriņš, P., Berziņš, A. 2014, Demographic Development in the Baltic Sea Region, Political State Region Report, p. 53—60.
28. Weitz, R. 2013, Forecasting the ...
Measuring social well-being in the rural areas of the Kaliningrad region
... in the Mirror of Sociology], Jekonomika sel'skogo hozjajstva i pererabatyvajushhih predprijatij [Economics of agriculture and processing enterprises], no. 2, p.15—19, available at: www.vniiesh.ru/publications (accessed 09.12.2013).
6. Kovalev, S. A.... ... tillväxt 2010, 2010, available at: www.tillvaxtanalys. se (accessed 25.10.2013).
20. Stanaitis, S. 2004, Social, economic and demographic changes of rural areas in Lithuania, available at: www.ageconsearch. umn (accessed 09.12.2013).
21. Social and environmental ...
Population aging and the problems of the sandwich generation: Socioeconomic and psychological aspects
The advance of the population aging process leads to new socioeconomic consequences, including the formation of the so-called sandwich generation — 55-65 year olds,... ... 291—300.
25. Parker K., Patten E. The Sandwich Generation Rising Financial Burdens for Middle-Aged // Pew Research. Social & Demographic Trends. 2013. URL: http:// www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/01/30/the-sandwich-generation/ (дата обращения: ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
... kak process szhatija prostranstva na vnutristranovom urovne [Three models of the compression of space and regionalization as a process of compressing the space incountry]. In: Artobolevsky, S. S., Sintserov, L. M. (eds.), Szhatie social'no-jekonomicheskogo ... ... gradostroitel'nogo planirovanija razvitija territorii Kaliningradskoj oblasti i ee chastej [The population of the Kaliningrad region. Demographic conditions justify territorial complex scheme of town-planning development of the Kaliningrad region and its parts],...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
..., Problemy regional'noi ekologii [Problems of regional ecology], available at:
(accessed 15.06.2017). (In Russ)
10. Kuznetsova, T. Yu. 2013, Tendencies and factors of demographic development in the Baltic region, Regional'nye issledovaniya [Regional research], no. 3, p. 50—57. (In Russ)
11. Lanko, D. A. 2014, The Baltic region in international politics: to the question of modeling the process of regionalization, Studia Humanitatis Borealis, no. 1 (2), p. 30—41. (In Russ)
12. Lachininskii, S. S., Lachininskii, А. S., Semenova, I. V. 2016, The geoeconomic factor in formation of spatial structure of the St. Petersburg coastal area,...