Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
This article focuses on Latvian contribution to European security, which, for the purposes of this study, is understood as a territorial system of regional security. Such system is a combination of interconnected institutions with Latvian participation operating in the field ...
Latvian policy on the Russian-language education
... authorities. At the time of declaration of independence and withdrawal from the USSR, a bilingual education system which was formed in Latvia, made it possible to get education at all levels (from kindergarten to technical school and university) in both Latvian and Russian languages. The rise to power in the 1990s. nationalist politicians and the perception of the Soviet period as a period of "occupation", made it impossible to keep the Russian-speaking school unchanged. The transformations ...
Russian and Latvian proverbs and sayings on sin
This article examines the semantic scope of the notions of «грех / grēks» as fundamental ones in Russian and Latvian worldviews. Russian and Latvian proverbs and sayings help identify the basic, universal ideas about sin, as well as particular, national ones. The author comes to a conclusion that the Russian mentality — unlike the Latvian one — reflects ...
The image of a doll in Latvian and Russian traditional folklore texts: the aspect of ritual practices
This article offers a comparative analysis of the image of a doll in the Russian and Latvian folklore traditions and examines the dialogue between the national cultures. The author emphasise the presence of the image in Russian and Latvian folklore texts and compares its functional features. The major difference in representing the image ...
Russians in Latvia: Peculiarities of Socio-cultural Adaptation and Identity
..., two trends have been recognized - first, the “ingrowing” of ethnic Russians into the life of independent Latvia, and second, forming their new identity. The article presents a number of factors hampering the integration of ethnic Russians into Latvian society. Variations and options of socio-cultural identity and integration (or assimilation) of the Russian population of Latvia are shown.
A Critique of Latvian Integration
... Latviešu etniskā identitāte un tās loma sabiedrības integrācijas procesā Latvijā // Pretestība sabiedrības integrācijai: cēloņi un sekas. Rīga, 2007.
8. Brands-Kehris I. Citizenship, Participation and Representation // How integrated is Latvian society? Rīga, 2010.
9. Clark H. Using Language. Cambridge, 1996.
10. Diatchkova S. Ethnic Democracy in Latvia // The Fate of ethnic democracy in post-communist Europe. Budapest, 2005.
11. Dribins L. Sabiedrības integrācijas tendences un ...
Enlightenment, Place and Identity: Imagining Russia in the Latvian Literature of the 18th—19th Centuries
... Baltijas apgaismības virzienu kontrasti un nozīme latviešu 18. gadsimta literatūras attīstībā // Latviešu literatūras procesi un personības. Rīga, 2008.
2. Daija P. Genesis of the Concept of Statehood and Perception of Patriotism in Latvian Enlightenment Literature // Latvia and Latvians: A People and a State in Ideas, Images and Symbols. Rīga, 2000.
3. Dann O., Hroch M. Einleitung // Patriotismus und Nationsbildung am Ende des Heiligen Römischen Reiches. Köln, 2003.
Antons Austriņš as a translator of Dmitry Merezhkovsky
The transaltions of D. Merezhkovsky’s works into the Latvian langauge by A. Austriņš help analyse the receptions of Russian symbolism in the Latvian culture of the 19th-20th centuries. The author suggests that A. Austriņš’s decision to translate D. Merezhkovsky texts was affected by the historical ...
The elimination of Latvian khutors in Bashkiria in the Soviet era: the reasons, conditions and consequences
This article focuses on the eradication of Latvian khutors in Bashkiria as a result of the state plan for total collectivization. The author arrives at a conclusion that it resulted in the elimination of conditions for ethnicity development.
1. Архивный отдел администрации ...
On the measures taken by the Latvian government to solve the economic problems caused by the beginning of World War II
This article offers an analysis of the actions of Latvian government aimed to solve the economic and social problems in the difficult period of the beginning of World War II.
. Канун трагедии: Сталин и международный кризис: сентябрь ...
Intellectuals in Multinational Empire: Russians, Germans, Latvians. 19th — beginning of 20th century
Latvian practice of organization of referendum for Russian language
SOCIETY: A LATVIAN TAKE
The role of transit in the economy of Latvia
... role of transit in the economy of Latvia, whose unique geographical position makes the country an effective transport corridor (bridge) in both the west-east and north-south directions. The article presents the results of an opinion poll conducted at Latvian transit enterprises regarding their future development and offers an overview of the main seaports and the Rīga international airport. The author examines the issue of Russia’s accession to the World Trade Organization and its impact on the ...
The political elite recruitment in the Baltic: the role of the ethnic factor
... of major Eurointegration procedures, the ethnic factor — which became especially important in the Baltics after independence — relegated to the periphery of political life. After a period of ‘independence-induced euphoria’ faded, Lithuanian, Latvian, and Estonian power groups had to tackle the problem of civil society formation and the development of a political regime based on democratic procedures. In these countries the processes of elite recruitment were largely affected by the factor ...
The income differentiation among the residents of Latvia in 2000—2008
This paper provides an analysis of income differentiation among the residents of Latvian regions in order to assess the government’s economic policies aimed at the development of a socially inclusive market economy in the country. The paper describes the dynamics of changes in the income of population of Latvian regions over nine ...
The transformation of the Baltic countries’ political elites: general and specific features
... analyse structural and functional changes in the composition of the Baltic political elites after these countries gained independence in the 1990s. The main objective of this research is to reveal the general and the specific in the transformations of Latvian, Lithuanian, and Estonian elites. Changes in the structure of power groups are considered on a sub-regional scale in view of the current Russian-Baltic political interaction. The common and distinctive features in the transformations of Latvian,...
The development of nationalist identities in the Baltics: The Latvian aspect
... Шутов А. Д. Коренные этносы Балтии и русские: общие интересы //Социологические исследования. 1996. № 9.
Berendeev M., Urazbaev E.
identity, identity of population of the Baltics, Latvian nationalism, ethnopolitics.
The intellectual interconnections between Königsberg and the Baltics in the 19th century
... compiling German-Latvian and Latvian-German dictionaries, both authors target their works at German settlers; however, Lindner’s work is targeted solely at a German-speaking recipient, whereas that of Lange requires that the reader be acquainted with the Latvian language and Latvian peasant lifestyle.
1. Fricke C. Die Deutschen Gesellschaften des 18. Jahrhunderts — ein Forschungsdesiderat // K. D. Dutz (Hg.). Sprachwissenschaft im 18. Jahrhundert. Fallstudien und Überblicke. Münster, 1993.
2. Garber ...
Economic Consciousness and the System of Values of Latvian University Graduates
The article analyses the attitude of a Latvian university’s graduates to wealth and means of its acquisition, as well as their assessment of their own economic status and preferred moves in case of unemployment. The author estimates the university graduates’ personal capabilities; their ...
The system of financing political parties in Latvia
This article considers the mechanism of financing of political parties in the Republic of Latvia. The author analyses the participation of financial and economic groups in the country’s political life. Key business actors affecting the formation of Latvian political system are identified. It is concluded that, since regaining independence in 1991, business has been a principal source of financing for Latvian political parties. The scope of financing of political parties in the republic depends on ...
The assessment and factors of increase in innovative competitiveness of Latvian regions
... Latvia’s regions using a method developed by the European Commission. An expert survey based on the analytic hierarchy process identifies priority areas and instruments for their innovative development.
1. LR Centrālā statistikas pārvalde. [Latvian Central Statistical Bureau.], available at: http://www. csb. gov. lv/dati/statistikas-datubazes (accessed 12 August 2012).
2. Porter, M. E., Sachs, J. D., McArthur, J. W. 2002, The Global Competitiveness Report 2001—2002. Executive Summary: ...
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... Estonia, available at: www.visitestonia.com (accessed 17 November 2012).
11. Kropinova, E. 2009, Zoning of the Kaliningrad Region for the Purposes of Tourism and Recreation and Development of Trans-border Cooperation, Tiltai, no. 3 (48), p. 117—128.
12. Latvian Tourism Marketing Strategy 2010—2015, available at: http://www.tava.gov.lv/sites/tava.gov.lv/files/dokumenti/strategiskie-dokumenti/Latvian-tourismmarketing-strategy-2010—2015.pdf (accessed 5 October 2012).
13. Latvian Statistical Bureau, ...
Europe without Russia and the Eastern
... Россией : аналитический доклад / под ред. О. Гаман-Голутвиной ; Российская ассоциация политической науки. — М., 2014. — 92 с.
[Ponomareva E., Shishelina L. Latvian presidency of the EU-2015: Eastern partnership instead of or with Russia : an analytical report / ed. by O. Gaman-Golutvina ; Russian Political Science Association. — M., 2014. — 92 pp.]
Establishing the ‘Dialogue of Cultures’ at a Russian Lesson in a Latvian School
1. Абызов Ю. И. Мир дайн и проблема перевода. URL: http://www.russkije.lv/ru/pub/read/y-abizov-daini/ (дата обращения: 15.08.2012).
2. Берлянд Е. И. Школа диалога культур. URL: http://www.bibler.ru/shdkom_be_shdk.html (дата обращения: 15.08.2012).
3. Курганов С. Капризная индивидуальность понятия. URL: http://www.bibler.ru/shdkom_ku_kap.html (дата обращения: 15.08.2012).
4. Юшков А. Н. Ода своему заповеднику // Первое сентября. 1997. № 60.
Current problems in Russian-Latvian relations
...?tab=table&language=en&pcode=tec00118&tableSelection=1&footnotes=yes&labeling=labels&plugin=1> (accessed 1 June 2013).
10. Convergence report June 2013, 2012, European Central Bank, available at: http://www.ebrd.com (accessed 20 April 2013).
11. Krugman, P. Latvian Competitiveness, 2012, The New York Times, available at: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/latvian-competitiveness/ (accessed 20 April 2013).
12. Migunov, D. 2013, Na altar' evrozony. Latvija preodolela jekonomicheskij krizis dorogoj ...
The Role of Political Elites in the Development of Politics of Memory in the Baltic States
... struggle for a place in history], Pro et Contra, no. 3—4, p. 109—124.
2. «Atmoda» skvoz' «perestrojku»: sjuzhety latvijskoj (anti)sovetskoj istorii v period raspada SSSR ["Atmoda" through "restructuring": The story of the Latvian (anti) Soviet history during the collapse of the Soviet Union], Zhurnal rossijskih i vostochnoevropejskih istoricheskih issledovanij [Journal of Russian and East European Studies History], no. 1 (3), p. 124—133.
3. Achkasov, V. А. 2013, "Politika ...
Work-life balance during the Covid-19 outbreak: the case of Latvia
... Communities of Latvia. National Identity, Transnational Belonging, and Diaspora Politics. Springer, 2019.
30. Krišjāne Z., Apsīte-Beriņa E., Bērziņš M. Circularity within the EU: the return intentions of Latvian migrants // Return Migration and Regional Development in Europe: Mobility Against the Stream. L., 2016. P. 215—240.
31. McCollum D., Apsīte-Beriņa E., Bērziņš M., Krišjāne Z. Overcoming ...
Rūdolfs Blaumanis, Hermann Sudermann and others: The images of time in the dialogue of texts
The author focuses on the response to the short stories of the Latvian writer Rudolf Blaumanis within the intertextual space of literature. Blaumanis’s short stories are considered as pre-texts for the works of H. Sudermann, Ch. Aitmatov, and V. Astafyev. The author analyses the logic and forms of interaction between ...
The Baltic economic model: some results of the 1990—2015 transformations
... to reduce], 2015, Rus.lsm.lv, available at: http://rus.db.lv/ekonomika/makroekonomika/dombrovskisprognoz-prirosta-latvijskogo-vvp-vozmozhno-pridetsja-snizit-65892 (accessed 2.04.2015).
22. V 2015 godu jekonomiku Latvii zhdet stagnacija [In 2015, the Latvian economy is waiting for stagnation], 2014, Gazeta «Biznes&Baltija» [The newspaper "Biznes & Baltija"], available at: http://bb.lv/rinki-i-kompanii/item/9160837-v-2015-godu-ekonomiku-latvii-zhdet-stagnatsiya (accessed 27.12.2014).
Estimating the Development of the Latvian - Estonian - Russian Transboundary Tourism and Recreation Region
In 2004, the Pskov — Livonia Euroregion was established across the borders of Estonia, Latvia and Russia (the Pskov region). Tourism became a cooperation priority in the Euroregion. This necessitated research on the local tourism and recreation areas. This study aims to estimate the development prospects of transboundary microregions which have been identified by the authors within the Latvian-Estonian-Russian tourism and recreation mesoregion. The authors employ ten additional criteria proposed...
The Effect of Migration on Latvia’s Sex and Age Composition
... identify temporal and age/space features of migration. A comparison of the official data with net migration rates calculated for different age groups ensures a more accurate estimate of the actual volume and direction of migration flows for certain Latvian cities. The method for calculating net migration for the selected age groups, described in the article, may narrow the gaps in the current migration statistics and reveal the territorial inhomogeneity of demographic processes.
Zhitin D. V....
Russian soft power in the Baltic States through the lens of research: traditions, competition, confrontation
... significant part of the Baltic States’ ruling class, it is becoming the target of counteraction. At the same time, Russian high and mass culture and, partly, educational services are in demand from both Baltic Russian speakers and ethnic Lithuanians, Latvians, and Estonians. Our analysis shows that the views of Baltic researchers that Russian soft power is politics-driven and foreign to the region are exaggerated and biased. In its turn, Russian soft power in the Baltics retains the potential to aid ...
The effectiveness of the Latvian education system assessed by the population
The article assesses the efficiency of the state’s system of education through a wide variety of objective factors (the state and availability of infrastructure, budget, training and retraining, etc.) and subjective (psychosocial) assessments and visions of the education system (satisfaction with one’s own level of education, field of education and the attitude to it).
2007. Izglītība Latvijā 21.gs. sākumā: izaicinājumi, jaunās paradigmas un perspektīvas", Izglītība zināšanu...
Political elite networks in Latvia and their transformation in 1993-2014
The authors consider the structure of the Latvian political elite in 1993—2014 and analyse the major network parameters. The roles of key network actors and their changes over the study period are examined
1. Dogan М., Higley J. Elites, Crises, and the Origins of Regimes. Rowman and Littlefield ...
Russian Language Referendum as a Crisis of Latvian Statehood
1. В Латвии русский язык может получить региональный статус. URL:http://news.yandex.ru/yandsearch?cl4url=www.vesti.ru%2Fdoc.html%3Fid%3D720383 (дата обращения: 10.03.2012).
2. Еврейская община Латвии должна ответить за Линдермана. URL: http://www.regnum.ru/news/1499595.html (дата обращения: 16.02.2012).
3. Ежи Бузек транслирует ложную информацию о положении нацменьшинств в Латвии. URL: http://www.regnum.ru/news/1499989.html (дата обращения: 15.02.2012).
4. Затлерс призывает русскоязычных латвийцев...
Equivocality in Delineating the Borders of a Cluster: The Baltic’s Case
... form of networking warrants distinguishing between internal, external, thematic, and absorptive types of boundaries. The feasibility of this approach is tested in the Baltics’ national and regional clusters, with special attention being paid to the Latvian IT-cluster. Committed to economic clustering and glocal cluster interactions beyond national borders, the Baltics are an ideal case study for testing our model. Latvia’s mature IT-cluster is an important national growth point. Regional and industry-specific ...
The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states
... and Working Papers.2007. Luxemburg.
13. Kabuzan, V. M. 2009. Formirovanie mnogonacional'nogo naselenija Pribaltiki (Jestonii, Latvii, Litvy, Kaliningradskoj oblasti Rossii) v XIX—XX vv. (1795—2000 gody). Moskow.
14. Smith, G. 2005. Latvia and Latvians // The Nationalities Question in the Post-Soviet States. London, pp. 147—169.
15. Immigrant Population in Estonia. 2009. Tallinn.
16. Latvijas Statistika. [online] Available at: <http://www.csb.gov.lv>
(Accessed 25 Oktober 2010).
International Migration in the Periods of Transition and Crisis: the Case of Latvia
... economic crisis conditions // International Proceedings of Economics Development and Research.2012 Vol. 31. P. 134—138.
2. Apsite-Berina E. Starpvalstu migrācija Eiropas Savienībā: Latvijas iedzīvotāju migrācija uz Lielbritāniju : PhD-thesis Latvian University. Riga, 2013.
3. Castles S., Miller M. The Age of Migration. International Population Movements in the Modern World. 4th ed. N. Y. ; L., 2009.
4. Click H+K Research. Socialo tiklu lietojums Latvija, 2012. URL:http://twitpic. com/a6pkb6/full ...
Knowledge Management and the Increase of SME Competitiveness: a Case Study
... key objectives of emerging EU economies. In this regard, the authors define the role of knowledge in enhancing business competitiveness in a regional economy. The effect of knowledge management processes on the economic activity of businesses in the Latvian region of Latgale is considered. To assess the role of knowledge and knowledge management processes, the authors apply integrated metrics calculated with the help of correlation analysis based on a 2013 survey of managers and staff of SMEs in ...
Human Resources of Post-war Lithuania and Their Role in the Rebuilding of Klaipeda
... elimination of unemployment in Soviet Lithuania in 1940—1941], Pribaltijskim sovetskim respublikam tridcat' let [Baltic Soviet republics thirty years], Proceeding of the Conference of Academies of Sciences Institutes of History of the Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian SSR, 1970,20—21 October, Vilnius.
6. Svodnyj otchet CSU Litovskoj SSR o chislennosti i zarabotnoj plate rabochih i sluzhashhih po otrasljam narodnogo hozjajstva za aprel' mesjac 1945 g. [Summary Report of the Lithuanian SSR CSO ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... international aspects], Balt. reg., no. 4, p. 22—38. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-4-2.
4. Voronov, V. V. 2012, Ocenka i faktory rosta innovacionnoj konkurentosposobnosti regionov Latvii [The evaluation and factors of increase in innovative competitiveness of Latvian regions], Balt. reg., no. 4, p. 7—21. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-4-1.
5. Glossarij.ru: Issledovatel'skie seti [Glossariy. ru: Research Network], available at: http://www.glossary.ru/cgi-bin/gl_sch2.cgi?RIxxrlkuigylr;xqol!xlyo (accessed 6 January ...
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
41. Pettai, V., Veebel, V. 2005, Navigating between Policy and Populace: Estonia, its Accession, Referendum and the EU Convention, Politique européenne, Vol. 15,
no. 1, p. 113—135.
42. Ragozin, L. 2015, Latvians find unity in rejecting refugees, POLITICO, available at:
43. Veebel, V., Markus, R. 2015, Europe’s Refugee Crisis in 2015 and Security Threats ...
Impact of remigration on the worksphere under Covid-19: the case of Lithuania
... from the Professional Diaspora: The Issue of Home-Country Receptivity, Central and Eastern European Migration Review, vol. 5, no. 2, p. 135—153.
29. King, R., Buzinska, L., Lulle, A. 2016, Beyond Remittances: Knowledge Transfer among Highly Educated Latvian Youth Abroad, Sociology of Development, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 183—203.
30. Järvinen-Alenius, P., Virkama, A. 2010, Transformative Impact of Social Remittances in Transnational Settings. In: Faist T. et al. (eds). Transnationalisation and Institutional ...
Gas infrastructure development in the countries of East Baltic as a way to increase energy security
... LNG terminal should be located in Riga], 2012, Telegraph. lv, 9 January, available at: http://www.telegraf. lv/news/davis-terminal-spg-dolzhen-nahoditysya-v-rige (accessed 25 December 2012).
18. Latvijskie gazoviki hotjat stroit' terminal v Jestonii [Latvian gas companies want to build a terminal in Estonia],2012, REGNUM, 6 July, available at: http://www. regnum. ru/news/1548989.html (accessed 25 December 2012).
19. Finljandija planiruet import SPG [Finland plans to import LNG], 2012, Informacionnyj ...
Electric energy cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of Russia in it
... PUBLICATIONS/NATIONAL_REPORTS/National%20Reporting%202012/NR_En/C12_NR_Lithuania-EN_v2.pdf (accessed 24 March 2013).
8. Energy — Database, 2012, Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia, available at: http://www. csb. gov. lv/en/statistikas-temas/energy-database-30737.html (accessed 24 March 2013).
9. Latvian Energy in Figures, 2009, Riga, Ministry of Economics of the Republic of Latvia, p. 38—39, available at: www. em. gov. lv/images/ modules/items/les_2009_.pdf (accessed 24 March 2013).
10. EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, 2009, European ...