The concept of the European Union’s normative power
... power’ as well as related contradictions. In conclusion, the author identifies prospects of studies into the сoncept of ‘normative power’ of the European Union.
1. Igumnova, L. O. 2014, Kritika normativnoj sily Evropy v Rossii [Normative Power Europe Critique in Russia], Izvestija Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Serija «Politologija. Religiovedenie», T. 7, p. 122–133.
2. Pavlova, E., Romanova, T. 2014, Idejnoe sopernichestvo ili «tresh-diskurs»? [Ideological rivalry or “trash-discourse”?...
Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project
This article describes the characteristics of Eastern Europe as a political pro-ject. The author considers the genesis of Eastern Europe as a political region and identifies several periods in its history. The author analyses key features of sover-eignization- desovereignization of the region and examines ...
The Baltics in the Geography of the Largest Transnational Corporations of Europe
... international investors’ interpretation of the new European borders. The connection between the neighborhood effect on FDI distribution and geographical segmentation in the corporate paperwork is established. Some companies use a multilevel division (e. g. Europe/Eastern Europe), where the Baltics is usually associated with “Europe” (with or without Russia and Turkey). However, in some cases the Baltic States are clustered u nder “home market” (as is the case with some Swedish companies), “former ...
Natural Increase in the Baltic South and South-West
This article analyses the natural population increase (decrease) in the postcommunist part of Baltic Europe (the federated state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, West Pomeranian, Pomeranian, and Warmian-Masurian Voivodeships, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Kaliningrad and Leningrad region, and the federal city of Saint Petersburg) in 2002—2011. The ...
Geography of European Migration
... decades, the role of international migration has increased dramatically in most European countries. The growth in migration has made some authors proclaim the beginning of a second Migration Period that could transform the social and cultural identity of Europe. The article presents an analysis of international migration geography in Europe in the last twenty-five years. The authors identify the main trends in migration, provide migration profiles of European countries, and propose a classification based ...
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
of the European Communities, Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament,
Synergy. A new regional cooperation initiative.
COM(2007) 160 final. 2007,
Building security in
’s new borderlands, Subregional cooperation in the wider Europe,
The foundations of regions: lessons from
and Nordic countries // Searching and researching the
The fifth wave of the European Union enlargement: pro et contra
This article analyses the principal complex of economic and political motivations of the states of Central and Eastern Europe and the EU members related to the EU enlargement towards the East. Special attention is paid to the discussion on the reasonableness of the EU enlargement and the positions of certain EU members.
1. Borchardt K.-D. 1994, Azbuka prava Evropejskogo ...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
This article focuses on the historic prerequisites and forms of international cooperation in the Baltic region (“Baltic cooperation”). According to the author, Baltic Europe is being formed as a single administrative, economic, cultural and infrastructural area, which could become a new economic and cultural center of Europe. Special emphasis is given to policies and strategies of the EU in the Baltic Sea region.
The European idea in Central Europe and Scandinavia as a part of the security and peaceful co-existence policy in the framework of the postwar planning
This article is dedicated to the development of European unity in Central Europe and Scandinavia as a mechanism of collective security and intergovernmental cooperation development. The cultural and historical features of Central Europe and Scandinavia emphasize the need for a comparative study into the European idea. This ...
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
.... Un-ta. Ser. 7 [Bulletin of St. Petersburg. Univ.], no. 4, p. 135—145.
4. Kamkin, A. K. 2013, Demograficheskie processy, migraciya i rynok truda v Zapadnoj Evrope (na primere FRG) [Demographic processes, migration and the labor market in Western Europe (on an example of Germany)]. In: Gromyko, Al. A. Bol'shaya Evropa v global'nom mire: novye vyzovy — novye resheniya (pod red.), Doklady Instituta Evropy, no. 292, Moscow, p. 103—110.
5. Karpov, G. A. 2014, Velikobritaniya: demografiya protiv ...
The Role of Political Elites in the Development of Politics of Memory in the Baltic States
... is concluded that the narratives of the past where nazi and Soviet legacies are equated are actively promoted on the pan-European level. Elites of the Baltic States play a salient role in this process and enhance ties with the elites of the Eastern Europe, expert and political communities of the Western Europe and USA. The dominant trends in the development of the historical politics in the Baltic countries are the administrative and legislative instruments for approval of the preferred narratives ...
The “European identity” of today: a category of political practice or discourse?
This paper considers the cultural, political, and historical problems of the development of European identity in the discourse of Europe. The author addresses the question as to whether European identity is a category of political discourse or a real instrument of European integration and comes to a conclusion that the concepts of European identity are stuck in a methodological ...
The English Theme on the Pages of N. M. Karamzin's Messenger of Europe (Vestnik Yevropy) in 1802—1803
The article is sourced from the first 48 issues of The Messenger of Europe founded by N. M. Karamzin who was the publisher, editor and author of most articles of this literary and political journal in 1802—1803. The paper presents a systematised survey of the publications on the most important developments in England’s ...
The policy of cosmopolitism: from universalism to pluralism
... разума // Там же. Т. 6.
6. Ортега-и-Гассет Х. Восстание масс. М., 2002.
7. Beck U. Pouvoir et contre-pouvoir à l’heure de la mondialisation / trad. A. Duthoo. Champs Flammarion, 2003.
8. Bruns Th. Kant et l’Europe. Saarbrücken, 1973.
9. Commaille J. Normes juridiques et régulation sociale. LGDJ, Collection Droit et Société, 191.
10. Ferry J.-M. Problèmes théoriques de la construction européenne. Première Partie: Le sens politique de l’Union européenne....
Islamic Diffusion in the Baltics: The Fruit of European Multiculturalism
This article considers Western Europe as a principal centre that has been attracting migrants over recent decades, primarily, in the aftermath of the Arab Spring. The Baltic region states are chosen for demonstration. Although they have different proportions of Muslim immigrants, Muslim ...
The US ballistic missile defence policy in the Baltic and Nordic regions
... ballistic missile defense (BMD) system in the Baltic and Nordic regions. These implications are to be considered to ensure Russia’s military security. Using the structural-functional method, the authors analyse the internal structure of the US BMD in Europe, stages of its implementation, and its influence on the military equilibrium in the region. Being similar to other regional missile defence systems of the Pentagon, BMD in Europe increases the offensive capabilities of the US armed forces and its ...
Territorial differences in the attitudes to the migration crisis in Germany: The political aspect
... Ads among Latinos, African Americans and Whites. In: Freeman, G., Hansen, R., Leal, D. L. (ed.) Immigration and Public Opinion in Liberal Democracies, New York, p. 286—306.
15. Fetzer, J. 2011, The Evolution of Public Attitude toward Immigration in Europe and the United States, 2000—2010. In: Research report “Improving EU and US Immigration Systems; Capacity for Responding the Global Challenges: Learning from experiences”, European University Institute Robert Schumann Centre for Advanced Studies,...
Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
2. Käkönen, J., Lähteenmäki K., 1995, Regionalization and the Theory of International Relations, Tampere, TAPRI, 49 s.
3. Tassinari, F. 2004, Mare Europaeum: Baltic Sea Region Security and Cooperation from Post-Wall to Post-Enlargement Europe, Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, 343 p.
4. Morgenthau, H. 1993, Politics among Nations: The Struggle for Power and Peace, New York, McGrow-Hill, 419 p.
5. Lanko, D. 2013, The regional approach in the policy of the Russian Federation towards ...
Human rights in EU-Russia relations: a human rights mechanism
... Russian Federation / European Union External Action. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/external_relations/russia/docs/2007—2013_en.pdf (дата обращения: 13.03.2013).
6. Opinion № 193 (1996) on Russia’s request for membership of the Council of Europe. Parliamentary Assembly. Text adopted by the Assembly on 25 Jan. 1996 (7th sitting). Council of Europe. URL: http://assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Documents/AdoptedText/ta96/EOPI193.htm (дата обращения: 13.03.2013).
7. The monitoring ...
The discourse of “European identity” in the conditions of the EU crisis
... extension of earlier political discourses.
The author forecasts that the change in discourses around European identity will lead to a shift in the paradigm and the perception of this phenomenon in political theory.
1. Janik A. Different perception of Europe in a time of crisis Europe as an opportunity.URL: http://www.europeanideasnetwork.com/files/2012/Brussels_08_ February/EINEurope_as_an_Opportunity_-_Allan_Janik.pdf (дата обращения: 13.03.2012).
2. Habermas J. Grenzen des Neohistorismus....
The Baltic economic model: some results of the 1990—2015 transformations
... destructive trends in the economy. The current economic model demonstrates limited stability, partly due to deliberately severed economic ties with Russia.
1. Fedotova, V. G. 1997, Modernizacija «drugoj» Evropy [Modernization of the "other" Europe], Moscow, 255 p.
2. White, S. 2014, Evropejskij Sojuz, Vostochnaja Evropa i «imperializm cennostej » [European Union, Eastern Europe and the "imperialism of values"], Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta [Vestnik MGIMO-University], no.4 (37),...
The development of cooperation between the European Union and Russia on migration issues: from „the „common spaces” to the actual implementation
... Security and Justice (2005), the article assesses the main results of its implementation, such as the Readmission and Visa Facilitation agreements. Moreover, it stresses the role of Russia as an agenda-setter of the EU migration agenda in the Eastern Europe.
1. Averre, D. 2005, Russia and the European Union: Convergence or Divergence?, European Security, no. 14 (2), p. 175—202.
2. Barbé, E., Costa, O., Herranz, A., Johansson-Nogués, E., Natorski, M., and Sabiote, M. A. 2010, Drawing the neighbours ...
The structure of political elite networks in the Republic of Poland in 1993—2013
... political elites.
1. Fodor, E., Wnuk-Lipinski, E. Yershova, N. 1995, The New Political and Cultural Elite, Theory and Society, Vol. 24, no. 5 : Special Issue on Circulation vs Reproduction of Elites during the Postcommunist Transformation of Eastern Europe, p. 783—800.
2. Gallina, N. 2008, Political Elites in East Central Europe: Paving the Way for "Negative Europeanisation"? Budrich UniPress Ltd.
3. Wasilewski, J. 2001, Three Elites of the Central-East European Democratization. In: ...
Development factors and regularities of the territorial structure of nature management
... сайт Министерства сельского хозяйства Калининградской области. URL:
(дата обращения: 12.05.2017).
22. Hanta E., Bakker M. Abandonment and Expansion of Arable Land in Europe // Ecosystems. 2011. Vol. 14, iss. 5. Р. 720—731. URL:
(дата обращения: 01.04.2018).
23. Mander U., Kuuba R. Changing landscapes in Northeastern Europe based on examples ...
Geopolitical transformation of the Kaliningrad oblast of the Russian Federation
... so-called Kaliningrad discourse, i. e. political decisions, academic discussions and research, influenced by the internal transformation in the USSR and the Russian Federation (RF) as well as slips in the international policies of Central and Eastern Europe.
. The Inclusion of the Other: Studies in Political Theory Cambridge, Massachusetts, The MIT Press, 1999.
The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order.
A Touchstone Book, ...
Regionalisation in Northern Europe and the Northern Dimension in Russian political discourse
... progress and sustainability of international cross-border region formation is a major concern for Russia, a country bordering sixteen states. In the early 2000s, the development of regions with Russian participation was at its height in northwestern Europe. Cross-border regions arise both naturally, stemming from various functional relations, and as a result of political decisions. In the latter case, political discourse is an important factor in successful region-building. The Northern Dimension ...
The Youth in Kaliningrad, Gdansk and Klaipeda: Geopolitical Vision of the World, Identity and Images of the Other
... universities show latent dissatisfaction with employment prospects, which is manifested in the declared intention to emigrate. The orientation of young residents of Kaliningrad and their peers from Gdansk and Klaipeda towards prevailing connections with Europe is complicated by the uncertainty of the EU-Russia relations. Young residents of Gdansk and Klaipeda reproduce dated stereotypes, and their interest in the Kaliningrad region is limited. However, as the experience of the other countries suggests,...
The formation of the political elite in Lithuania at the turn of the 1980s—1990s: the role of “moral politicians”
... understanding of the functioning of Lithuanian political system in general will allow Russia to formulate a more efficient policy towards the Baltic States, which would promptly respond to emerging challenges.
1. Agh, A. 1998, The Politics of Central Europe, London, Thousand Oaks, New Delhi.
2. Almond, G. A., Flanagan, S., Mundt, R. (eds.). 1973, Crisis, Choice, and
Change: Historical Stories of Political Development, Boston.
3. Bourdieu, P. 1986, The forms of capital. In: Richards, J. G. (ed.),...
Security in the Baltic region as a Projection of Global Confrontation between Russia and the USA
... current level of confrontation between Russia and the EU, convincing the latter of the reality of the Russian threat. Countries that traditionally support confrontation with Russia, Poland and the Baltics, serve as a conduit for Washington strategy in Europe and a cordon sanitaire. This function is implemented through the Intermarium project meant to separate Russia from the EU. The four countries are rather active in this area, striving to attain the status of the US principal partners in the region ...
Transformations in the Communicative Characteristics of Political Discourse in the Current Information Space
... logic-semantic problems]. Moscow. pp. 357—370.
3. Arendt, Kh., 2017. Viva Activa, ili O deyatel'noi zhizni [Viva Activa, or About active life]. Moscow. pp. 55—66.
4. Achkasov, V. A., 2011. National populism in post-communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe: reasons for the growth of electoral support. Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta [Bulletin of MGIMO-University], 3, pp. 145—149.
5. Baranov, N. A., 2015. Revival of populism: European experience and Russian practices. Vestnik SPbGU [Bulletin of SPSU],...
Between nation and gender: History of beards in Western Europe and Russia, 1830—1880
This article focuses on the increasing popularity of beards in Western Europe and Russia in the 1830s—1880s. The main hypotheses explaining this phenomenon in Western Europe are analysed and the Western and Russian practices compared. It is concluded that, from the mid-19th century, the beard was a symbol of national unity ...
International relations of the North-West federal district of the Russian Federation and the New North concept
This article analyses the role of Russia — the North-West federal district — in the New North concept, which encompasses new political relations in the North of Europe in the framework of international organisations and regional cooperation — for instance, the Northern Dimension.
1. Beloborodova, I. N. 2000. POLIS, № 4, pp. 163—166.
2. V Gosdume projdet «kruglyj stol» na temu realizacii «dorozhnyh ...
The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity
... in Finland: Past and Present, Balt. Reg., Vol. 7, no. 4, p. 113—121. DOI 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-4-9.
9. Eydemiller, K. Yu. 2015, The role of Muslim communities in transformation of social, cultural and political space of the countries of Northern Europe, Doctorate thesis in Geography, Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, St. Petersburg, 182 p. (In Russ.)
10. Eydemiller, K. Yu. 2011, Islam in Northern Europe. In: Islam in Russia and abroad: History, Society, Culture, Materials of the ...
Mapping Poetic Bilingualism in Europe: Language Contacts and Cultural Transfers
... poetic production is or was most active. The scope of the mapping is limited to European countries and areas with bilingual or multilingual population. The article also discusses theoretical and practical challenges in mapping poetic multilingualism in Europe.
1. Azarova, N. M., 2016. Poetic bilingualism as a means of intercultural transfer. In: V. V. Feschenko et al., eds. Lingvistika i semiotika kul'turnykh transferov: metody, printsipy, tekhnologii [Linguistics and semiotics of cultural transfers: ...
Innovative economy in the Baltic Sea region
... Presidency Conclusions, Lisbon European Council, 23—24 March, 2000, available at: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/ec/00100-r1.en0.htm (accessed 01 June 2012).
9. Bechev, I. et al. 2010, Science, technology and innovation in Europe, Luxembourg, Publications Office of the European union.
10. Kornecki, J., Lisowska R. and Ropega J. 2007, Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Poland, Lodz, Foundation for Promotion of Entereneurship.
11. Rossija i strany mira [Russia and world countries],...
Assessment of the efficiency of Russian response to the implementation of US missile defence deployment concept in Europe
This article is dedicated to the problems of deployment of the US anti-missile defence system in Eastern Europe. The European system of US missile defence is just one of the components of global US missile defence. This work aims to analyze possible Russia’s responses within military and political spheres. The measures proposed are divided into three subgroups: ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
... migrants are almost not involved in the political life of the country, MGIMO University, available at:
. mgimo. ru/news/experts/document240923.phtml (accessed 05.04.2016). (In Russ.)
3. Weinstein, G. 2012, Future policy of multiculturalism in Europe, Rossiya i musul'manskii mir [Russia and the Muslim world], no. 1(235), p. 127—144. (In Russ.)
4. Vishnevski, А. G. 2015, After the Demographic Transition: Divergence, Convergence or Diversity? Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost' [Social ...
The new 1948—1949 US policy towards Yugoslavia: origins and results
... America and Yugoslavia in World Politics. N.Y., 1967.
George F. Kennan and the Making of American Foreign Policy, 1947—1950. Princeton, 1992.
Relation of the United States. Diplomatic Papers. 1948. Vol. 4: Eastern Europe. The Soviet Union. Washington, 1974.
Department Policy Planning Staff Papers. Vol. 2: 1948 / introd. by A. Nelson; forew. by G. Kennan. N.Y., 1983.
Undermining the Kremlin: America’s Strategy to Subvert the ...
Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives
... Foundation for Prospective Studies and Initiatives, April, available at: http://www.psifoundation.ru/publications/2003/05/baltika1.htm (accessed 03.04.2014).
16. Rossija i Pribaltika [Russian and Baltic], 1999, Report of the Committee of Russia in a United Europe, SVOP, available at: http://www.svop.ru/yuka/1045.shtml (accessed 03.04.2014).
17. Rossija i Pribaltika-II [Russian and Baltic-II], 1999, Report of the Committee of Russia in a United Europe, SVOP, available at: http://www.svop.ru/live/materials....
Russia’s political risk for the foreign investors: A special emphasis on Kaliningrad
Views of China and Russia Decline in Global Poll, BBC World Service, Februa
ry 6, 2009. URL: http://www.worldpublicopinion.org (дата обращения: 12 мар
Business outlook: Russia,
Business Eastern Europe
, May 18. 2009.
Losing a grip on the North Caucasus,
Business Eastern Europe
, June 22, 2009
Stacy The North Caucasus after the Georgia-Russia Conflict,
Russian analytical digest
The later works of Boris Porshnev in foreign historiography
... anglijskaja revoljucija i evropejskaja politika v seredine XVII v. Moskva, Nauka, 1970 // Rivista storica italiana. 1972. № 2. P. 514—524.
17. Dukes P. The Thirty Years’ War, the Smolensk War and the Modernization of International Relations in Europe // Modernizing Muscovy. Reform and social change in seventeenth-century Russia. L. ; N. Y., 2004. P. 203—222.
18. Ekholm L. Kontributioner och krediter. Svensk krigsfinansiring 1630—1631 // Landberg H. et al. Det kontinentala krigets ekonomi....
Euroregions as a factor of successful international integration in modern conditions
... the additional resources that can be retrieved in the framework of national economic policy during global recession. The practical component lies in clarifying the conceptual framework for the formation of successful crossborder cooperation in today's Europe. The authors employed the historical-descriptive approach and factual consideration of the cross-border and macro-regional level of interaction between European countries. The main results are as follows. The crisis in several EU countries is associated ...
The Baltic-Pontic region in the Europe-Eurasia dual system
... clarifying historical developments in the area from the late 14th century until the present. The article analyses the spatial, geopolitical and geochronopolitical characteristics of the region, as well as the models of intercivilisational interaction between Europe and Eurasia. The author addresses the issue of the political identity of the region and its ability to play an independent role in the world politics.
1. Abu-Lughod, J. 1989, Before European Hegemony: The World-System A. D. 1250—1350, N. Y.,...
The open method of coordination as a new form of governance: features, characteristics, prospects of application
The open method of co-ordination: the Linux of European integration? A theoretical and empirical study of the method of the ‘Lisbon Strategy’: thesis presented for the Degree of Master of European Studies / College of
. Why the open method of coordination is bad for you: a letter to the EU // European Law Journal. 2006.
Soft governance, agile
? Analysis of the extensions of open coordination ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
This article explores the current condition and spatial dynamics of the key socioeconomic processes in the coastal zone of the European subcontinent at the turn of the 20th century. Europe is a region where the “coastal component” of socioeconomic development plays a major role and is therefore one of the most interesting objects for research in this field. Russian geographical proximity to the European countries, a significant ...
Modern history of Europe
International scientific and practical conference “The First World War in the history and culture of Russia and Europe”
European Studies: a View From Eastern Europe
Khudolei K., Izotov A.
RUSSIANS TRAVELING IN EUROPE
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
... Reiter, D. 1996, Crucible of Beliefs: Learning, Alliances and World Wars, N. Y.
8. Alesina, A., Spolaore, F. 1997, On number and size of nations, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 112, no. 4, p. 1027—1056.
9. Alesina, A., Warsziarg, R. 1999, Is Europe going too far? Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, no. 51, p. 1—42.
10. Alesina, A., Spolaore, F., Warsziarg, R. 1997, Economic integration and political disintegration, NBER Working Papers, no. 6163, available atL