The geographical image of Kaliningrad and its branding policy (the case of a sociological survey of the city residents)
... stated by the urban planners, city government and architects. The methodology designed by the authors determines the interview as a primary tool for collecting research material. The online platform attracted the citizens’ attention to the issues of urban development and drew the most open answers to a number of key challenges in the development of Kaliningrad. The obtained results indicate that the popular image of the city is not fully consistent with its development strategy. The findings brought ...
Modern indicators of urban development: challenges and opportunities for creating integral approaches to city management
There is an increasing need for the assessment of urban development rates in the world. In modern Russia, this need is reaffirmed by the transformation of regional economies, the economic acceleration of many major cities, and by the active introduction of strategic management tools (KPI, etc.). The article ...
Urban planning of Russian urban districts: Practices, problems, solutions
... Лаппо Г. М. География городов. М., 1997.
12. Хореев Б. С. Проблемы городов (Урбанизация и единая система расселения в СССР). М., 1975.
Chistobayev A., Visleneva O.
urban development, urban district, agglomeration, spatial planning, urban design.
The urban palimpsest: the urban development practices in the Kaliningrad region (1945—1990)
This article examines the adaptation of historically developed East Prussian settlement system to the new objectives and functions during the formation of the Kaliningrad region. The author offers an overview of the basic urban development trends in the course of the region’s formation in the ages of Stalin (partial restoration and adaptation of the existing buildings with the minimum infrastructural transformations of towns and villages), Khrushchev (the development of new ...
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
... role of architectural landscape in creating a positive image of a town for tourists; they also provide a background for including historical and cultural landmarks into a traveller’s experience. The authors analyse the results of the international urban development competition for the best concept of the historical area of the centre of Kaliningrad Korolevskaya Gora and Its Surroundings/The Heart of the City. Further, they come up with recommendations on using the most interesting proposals of the contestants ...
The demographic problems of the Baltic cities: general trends
This article discusses the trends of demographic development of the Baltic Sea region's cities. It analyses the factors affecting the urban population dynamics in the second half of the 20th — the beginning of the 21st centuries. The authors emphasise the dependence of the Baltic cities on the socioeconomic development level throughout the region as well as intraregional disparities....
Profitability and return on investment in urban areas
... The article esti-mates the role of investment tools in solving the problem of sporadic develop-ment of urban spaces. The proposed model makes it possible to conduct a pre-dictive spatial analysis of investment activity to identify the priorities of urban development at the level of individual parcels of land.
Синочкин Д., Иванова Е. Отложенная идентичность // Недвижимость и строительство Петербурга. 2013. № 45 (782).
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
... territorial'nye struktury: pamjati
I. M. Maergojza [Geographical location and territorial structures: memory I. M. Maergoiz], Moscow, p. 688—707.
7. Catus, K., Sakkeus, L. 1999, Urbanizacija, migracija i regional'noe razvitie naselenija Jestonii [Urbanization, migration and regional development of the Estonian population]. In: Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. (ed.), Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. 1999, Migracija i urbanizacija v 90 gody [Migration and urbanization in the 90s], Moscow, p. 159—183.
8. Kashnitsky, I. 2014, Chto v vozraste tebe moem?...
Socio-spatial differentiation in transition: a preliminary comparative analysis of post-soviet St Petersburg and Riga
... methodological approaches. As to the former aspect, recent literature focuses on the hybrid nature of the post-socialist urban space, which underwent transformation in the conditions of globalization and eco-nomic liberalization; the earlier model of spatial development changed dramatically as a result. The multi-scalar and comparative approaches may shed new light on the complex patterns of urban socio-spatial differentiation and its post-Soviet dynamics. Growing regional socio-economic imbalances observed in the former socialist states are lending new urgency to this area of research. This study employs a comparative approach to investigate ...
Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation
This article analyzes the principles of spatial planning, which form the basis for this type of urban development in the countries of the European Union (EU) and in the Russian Federation. The following principles are considered and compared for both territories: 1) promotion of territorial cohesion through a more balanced social and economic development ...
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
Through a situational approach to strategic management of regional and urban development it is possible to identify the interaction between the managerial process and mechanism; bring together the spatial and activity-related concepts of territorial development; and explain the phenomenon in question from both general and specific ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
..., resilience andtransformation, L., N. Y., p. 25—26.
34. Database Eurostat, available at: ec. europa.eu/eurostat/web/transport/data/database (accessed 01.02.2017).
35. Friedmann, J. 1967, A general theory of polarized development. Ford Foundation. Urban and Regional Development Advisory Program in Chile, Santiago.
36. Izci, R. 2004, How to interpret sustainability in the Mediterranean. In: Xuereb, P. G. (ed.) The Mediterranean's European challenge. Msida, Vol. 5, The European Union and the Mediterranean, p. 611—628....
The formation and current state of the urban population of Columba palumbus L. woodpigeon in Kaliningrad
This article traces the development of a specialised urban Woodpigeon population in the city of Kaliningrad and assesses its current condition. The author focuses on certain factors affecting the formation of urban populations.
Woodpigeon // The EBCC atlas of European breeding birds: their ...
Regional Geographic Information Systems of Health and Environmental Monitoring
... about performance of assessment of quality of the environment about a condition of live sushchestvo (assessment of stability of development of live organisms in the level of asymmetry of morphological structures), 2003, Moscow, 35 p. (In Russ.)
18. Negrobov,... ... osno-vy optimizacii i upravleniya gorodskoj sredoj. EHkologiya goroda [Ecological bases of optimization and management of the urban environment. City ecology], Voronezh, 271 p. (In Russ.)
19. About implementation of the state monitoring of a state and ...
Сomparative trends in the morphofunctional development of rural and urban school children in the Nizhny Novgorod region at the present stage
This paper focuses on the trends of a comparative analysis of statistical parameters of physical development of rural and urban school children in the Nizhniy Novgorod region. The results indicate that, against the background of the persistence of basic characteristics of growth processes in children and adolescents of the Nizhniy Novgorod region, both favourable (total ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... moving northwards. Spatial characteristics of the population growth, changes in the population gravity centre, the standard deviational ellipse and characteristics of the street network centrality show that Saint Petersburg is at the final stage of urbanization and its development pattern is similar to that of other major cities.
1. Druzhinin, A. G. 2014, Mother countries and metropolisation in contemporary Russia: conceptual approaches in political and geographical contexts, Izv. RAN. Ser. geogr, no. 1, p.19—27....
The comparative characteristics of Blackbird nest materials from natural and anthropogenic landscapes of the Kaliningrad region
.... In woodlands, it consists predominantly of twigs and mosses.
Berlin // Birds in European cities / eds. J.
G. Kelcey, G. Reinwald. St. Katharinen, 2005. P. 17—40.
Synurbization adaptation of animal wildlife to urban development // Proceedings of the 4th Int. Symp / eds. W.
W. Shaw, L.
Arizona, 2004. P. 50—55.
Mulsow R., Tomialojc L.
Blackbird // The EBCC atlas of european breeding birds: their distribution and abundance. L., 1997. P. 544—545....
The urban development in East Prussia in the interwar period
... restoration in East Prussia after World War I. In a difficult economic situation, the system of restoration works was clearly structured. In the interbellum, the public development policy for the province was formulated in accordance with the contemporary urban development requirements and was based on a combination of old and new architecture, the expansion of residential areas, and creation of a comfortable environment with the help of landscape gardening.
1. Аушпитцер Х. Кёнигсберг с ...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... economy: development, theoretical and practical significance], Izvestija AN SSSR, Ser. Geografija [Izvestiya AN SSSR, Ser. Geography], no. 5, p. 16—28.
8. Litovka, О. P. 1976, Problemy prostranstvennogo razvitija urbanizacii [Problems of spatial development of urbanization], Leningrad, 100 p.
9. Martynov, V. L., Sazonova, I. Е. 2012, The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (11), p. 81—88. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-10.
Urban Planning Development and Seismic Safety Provision in the Kaliningrad region
In this study, we analyse today’s urban development trends in the context of densely populated territories located in moderate seismic regions. We perform a brief engineering analysis of the consequences of the Kaliningrad earthquake of September 21, 2004. The earthquake was felt across the ...
Urban Development Programme of the Kaliningrad Region
... М., 2017.
Гибберд Ф. Градостроительство. М., 1958.
Садик-Хан Дж., Соломонов С. Битва за город. М., 2018.
Спек Дж. Город для пешеходов. М., 2015.
Pustovgarov V. I.
urban development, sustainable growth, architecture, Kaliningrad region, cultural heritage, comfortable living environment, public space, land use planning
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
... Regional Science Policy and Practice. 2011. № 3 (3). P. 249—272.
38. Storper M. The Regional World. N. Y., 1997.
39. Storper M. The Resurgence of Regional Economies, Ten Years Later: The Region as a Nexus of Untraded Interdependencies // European Urban and Regional Studies. 1995. № 2 (3). P. 191—221. doi: 10.1177/096977649500200301.
40. World Development Report 2009: Reshaping Economic Geography / The World Bank. Washington, 2009. doi: 10.1596/978-0-8213-7640-9.
41. Watts D. J. The «New» Science of Networks // Annual Review of Sociology. 2004. № 30 (1). P. 243—270.
42. Zemtsov S. P.,...
Population change in global urban regions
This article focuses on the key aspects of population development in the historical cores of leading global urban regions at the stage of globalisation. The research sets out to identify and describe the common — model — and individual features of the demographic modernisation process.
1. Vallerstein, I. 2001. Tipologija krizisov v mirosisteme In: Analiz ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 77, no. 1—2, p. 111—130.
2. Salvati, L. 2014, Looking at the future of the mediterranean urban regions: demographic trends and socioeconomic implications, Romanian journal of regional science, Vol. 8, no. 2, p. 74—83.... ... Vallega, A. 1998, Agenda 21 of ocean geography. In: Vallega, A. et al. (eds.) Geography, oceans and coasts towards sustainable development, p. 17—116.
6. Berardo, C. 1999, Spatial dynamics of Mediterranean coastal regions, Journal of Coastal Conservation,...
The reconstruction period in the history of urban planning in the Kaliningrad region (1945 — the mid-1950s)
The article characterises the first stage of the urban development in Kaliningrad and the region and draws attention to the specific features that led to the procrastination of restoration.
Калининградского областного историко-художественного ...
Residential construction and urban development policy in Kaliningrad (mid-1950s/mid-1960s)
... домов // Архитектура СССР. 1956. № 5.
22. Стройкам — больше строительного материала! // Калининградская правда. 1957. 20 февр.
residential development, urban development, building and construction industry, industrialisation, Kaliningrad
Problems of the development of pre-agglomeration (semiperipheral) municipalities on the example of the Gvardeysk urban district
... development problems of a special type of territory — pre-agglomeration territories and to identify possible solutions. Based on the analysis of statistical data, documents of strategic planning of municipalities, as well as programs for the integrated development of transport infrastructure at the level of the Kaliningrad city agglomeration and the Gvardeysk urban district,the author justifies proposals on the formation of a contractual model for inter-municipal cooperation and modernization of the system of inter-municipal strategic planning through integrated sectoral and infrastructure programs.
Materials on the architectural and urban development history of Cranz
Studies published as early as the 19th century, prewar guidebooks, postcards, books of model projects, and archive materials serve as the sources of information about the architectural and urban development of the resort of Cranz. The collection of cadastral plans and maps of 1844—1943 settlements held in the Secret Archive of Prussian heritage in Berlin remains virtually unstudied. A project used in the construction of the wooden music pavilion ...
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
..., p. 43—54.
36. Moser, C. A., Scott, W. 1961, British towns. London, p. 169.
37. Murphy, R. E. 1966, The American city: an urban geography, New York, p. 464.
38. Samsonowiz, H. 1968, Pozne sredniowircze miast nadlaltyckich, Warszawa, p. 218.
39. Town ... ...
Hodachek V. M., Shamakhov V. A.
historical town, Russia’s North-west, tourism and recreation potential, development factors, typology
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
... trade: trade liberalization and regional inequality in México. In: Spatial Inequality and Development, Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press.
43. Villar, O. 1999, Spatial distribution of production and international trade: a note, Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol. 29, no. 3, p. 371—380.
44. Zhang, X., Zhang, K. 2003, How does globalisation affect regional inequality within a developing country? Evidence from China, Journal of Development Studies, no. 39, p. 47—67.
Fedyunina A. A.
international trade, trade liberalisation, regional development
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... available at:
. pdf (accessed 15.04.2016).
18. Shlapeko, Е. А. 2012, The role of urban elites and the sister city movement in the formation of cross-border regions (on the example of the development of external relations of the Petrozavodsk urban district, the Republic of Karelia), Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevskogo [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. N. I. Lobachevsky], no. 4 (1), p. 374—380. (In Russ.)
19. Shli, K. 2015, XIII Parliamentary Forum of ...
Spatial Planning in the European Union: Practices to Draw on in Russia
... systemic-complex methodology to consider the targets, functions, and content of spatial planning in European countries and compare them to urban planning practices in Russia. We analyse concepts and terminology used in spatial planning and related areas — territorial,... ... to the present. The basic principles of spatial planning are identified in the article. We describe the level of territorial development management in the EU and its member states. The concept of ‘best practices’ is interpreted as an approach that ...
From German Memel to Soviet Klaipeda (the restoration of the city in the first post-war decade)
This article characterizes the post-war period of urban development in the city of Klaipeda and draws attention to the problems in its restoration.
Свет городу // Советская Клайпеда. 1985. 26 янв.
Население — ...
The influence of the transport factor on the investment competitiveness of coastal regions in the European part of Russia.
Given the combination of the basic territorial growth factors, the coastal regions of the European part of Russia, where large urbanized spaces have already been developed or are being developed, are of the greatest potential compared to other regions of the country. It makes perfect sense to set up large economic centers capable of harnessing the benefits of agglomeration and seaside factors in such regions. ...
Sociocultural factors of cross-cultural sensitivity in university students
... not only professional competence, focused on the other person but also personal qualities that con-tribute to sensitivity to cultural differences of others.
The results of the study show that the most important factors of intercul-tural sensitivity development are the academic specialisation and the type of the urban environment.
1. Гуриева С. Д. Психология межэтнических отношений. СПб., 2010.
2. Иванова Т. В. Городская ментальность как предмет психологического ...
Between profession and public engagement: Evolution of the public history movement in America
... history movement in America. Special attention is paid to analysing ideas and approaches dominant at different stages of its development and identifying factors behind changes in major trends. It is shown that pubic history has undergone significant transformations ... ... Hauptman L. M. Going Off the Reservation: A Memoir // Ibid. 2003. № 4. P. 81—94.
20. Hayden D. Placemaking, Preservation and Urban History // Journal of Architectural Education. 1988. Vol. 41. P. 45—51.
21. Hayden D. The Power of Place: Urban Landscapes ...
Monotowns: A New Take on the Old Problem
... Tumbler Ridge, Western Geography, no. 12, p. 113—129.
40. Green, H. 2010, The company town: the industrial Edens and satanic mills that shaped the American economy, New York, 248 p.
41. Hinderink, J., Titus, M. (eds.), 2002, Small towns and regional development: major findings and policy implications from comparative research, Urban Studies, Vol. 39, no. 3, p. 379—391.
42. Hopkin, P. Fundamentals of Risk Management: Understanding, evaluating and implementing effective risk management, 440 pg.
43. Rudacille, D. 2010, Roots of steel: boom and bust in an American mill town,...
The preadaptive abilities of birds to inhabit urban environments
Anthropogenic environment, affecting various aspects of birds’ lives, triggers adaptive reactions to changeable conditions. These reactions develop on the basis of preadaptations that create prerequisites for new adaptations. The species that have adaptive abilities can adjust to urban environments. Anthropogenic landscapes are mainly inhabited by species with considerable
ecological flexibility, which ensures adaptations to new and changing conditions. Birds preserve their adaptive potential and, under certain conditions, are ...
Cross-border Cooperation as a Mechanism of Regional Marketing in the Baltic Region
... apply the territory brand model to research on the mechanisms of cross-border cooperation and to the elaboration of an efficient development strategy as a promising direction of further study of the cross-border cooperation and regionalisation phenomena.
... ... C. M. Cross-Border Regions and Territorial Restructuring in Central Europe: Room for More transboundary Space // European Urban and Regional Studies. 2009. № 16. Р. 177—191.
12. Keller K. L. Strategic
, Measuring ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
Population dynamics is one of the key categories of socio-economic development of territories. Cities, as the main carriers of innovative potential, need constant influx of human resources. The ... ... with policy implications // Cities. 2018. Vol. 78. P. 17—26.
3. Rappaport J. Moving to nice weather// Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2007. Vol. 37. P. 375—398.
4. Яськова Т. И. Миграционное притяжение московского ...
The Swedish model of spatial planning: Functions, problems, and solutions
... instruments of spatial planning are shown as different types of plans: Regional plan, Municipal comprehensive plan, Detailed development plan, Special area regulations and Property regulation plan. Particular attention is paid to the influence on the ... ... problems associated with spatial planning are made evident and solutions are proposed. Swedish experience may be interesting to the urban and regional planners.
1. Чистобаев А. И., Красовская О. В., Скатерщиков С. В. Территориальное ...
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
... represented. As an example, five semi-medium-sized cities of the Kaliningrad region are considered, the role of each city in regional development and regional settlement system is revealed. The author analyses participation of the Kaliningrad semi-mediumsized ... ... Medium Sized Cities in Dialogue around the Baltic Sea. Frederiksberg, 2005.
18. McGregor A., McConnachie M. Social Exclusion, Urban Regeneration and Economic Reintegration // Urban Studies. 1995. Vol. 32, № 10. Р. 1587—1600.
Belova A. V.
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
... M., Nazarova, E. A. 2014, Metodyi otsenki konkurentnoy privlekatelnosti regionov [Methods for assessing the competitive attractiveness of regions], St. Petersburg, p. 28.
5. Dyiba, E. A. 2016, The influence of the University on the formation of the urban environment, HVII Aprelskaya mezhdunarodnaya nauchnaya konferentsiya po problemam razvitiya ekonomiki i obschestva [XVII April International Scientific Conference on the Problems of Development of the Economy and Society], Moscow, p. 8.
6. Kotler, Ph., Asplund, K., Rein, I., Hayder, D. 2005, Marketing mest [Marketing places], St. Petersburg, p. 54. (in Russ.)
7. Kotov, A. I. Quality of life as a tool for innovative economic development,...
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
... Role of Western Multinational Corporations in the Formation of Science and Engineering Clusters in Emerging Economies, Economic Development Quarterly,Vol. 2, no. 4, p. 316—323.
29. Markusen, A. 1999, Fuzzy concepts, scanty evidence, policy distance: the ... ... Mayneris, F. 2011, Public support to clusters: a firm level study of French «Local Productive Systems», Regional Science and Urban Economics, no. 41, p. 108—123.
32. Martin, R., Sunley, P. 2003, Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concepts or policy panacea?...
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
... complexity of the ethnic identity structures and the processes of modernization, which occur at different rates in Russian and national regions. Based on the 2010 census data, the article analyses the differences in polyethnicity between the rural and urban population, which are accounted for by the historical background, particularities of regional development, settlement features, and migration processes of the past two decades.
1. Belozerov, V. S. 2005, Jetnicheskaja karta Severnogo Kavkaza [Ethnic map of the North Caucasus], Moscow.
2. Bogojavlensky, D. 2013, Perepis' 2010: jetnicheskij srez ...
The 1859 rules on the remuneration of architects working for the Ministry of Imperial Court
... attention is paid to the usage of legal loopholes and deviations from the established standards.
1. Российский государственный исторический архив. Ф. 480. Оп. 1.
Ministry of the Imperial Court, urban development, architects, Saint-Petersburg
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
25. Gulati R., Gargiulo M. Where do interorganizational networks come from? // American J. of Sociology. 1999. № 104 (5). P. 1439—1493.
26. Hanson A., Rohlin S. Do spatially targeted redevelopment programs spillover? // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2013. № 43 (1). P. 86—100.
27. Huggins R. The evolution of knowledge clusters: Progress and policy // Economic Development Quarterly. 2008. № 22 (4). P. 277—289.
28. Korhonen I. Progress in economic transition in the Baltic States // Post-Soviet Geography and Economics. 2001. № 42 (6). P. 440—463.
29. Lithuanian Innovation Strategy for 2010—2020 : Resolution ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... revisited, Paper presented at the international Joseph Schumpeter conference, Vienna, Austria, 1998, June.
41. Saxenian, A. L. 1990, The origins and dynamics of production networks in Silicon Valley, University of California at Berkley, Institute of urban and regional development, Working paper no.516.
42. Saxenian, A. L. 1989, Regional production networks and the resurgence of Silicon Valley. University of California at Berkley, Institute of urban and regional development, Working paper no.508.
43. What are Industrial ...
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... independent agents. We believe that one of the important tools of research on network cooperation is regional integral geoinformation systems (GIS). Modern GIS are successfully used in related fields, such as environmental and climate studies, geology, urban studies, and serve as rather efficient tools of analysing spatial objects and phenomena. One of such systems has been developed and is successfully functioning at the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, which makes it possible to use it in studying network cooperation in the framework of crossborder development with the involvement of Kaliningrad municipalities....