Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
The Baltic Sea region is one of the most developed and well-formed regions of international cooperation. It is a place for promoting collaboration between businesses, non-profits, public authorities, and municipalities of the countries located on the Baltic Sea coast ...
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
This article describes the main characteristics of international cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) within the framework of the EU macroregional strategy. The analysis of the key directions, structure, and the Strategy implementation mechanisms demonstrates its experimental and innovative nature. At the same time, the authors identify problems ...
Motors for regional development: impact on regional political organizations on the university cooperation in the Baltic Sea region
Educational co-operation is one of the main aspects of the regional political agenda in the Baltic Sea Region. The article analyzes the political impact of the organizations, as perceived by the universities in the region and political decision-makers on national and regional levels. Based on the success of the OECD in becoming an influential actor in ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union, the key player in the Baltic. The ...
The main environmental problems of the Baltic Sea and the ways to solve them
... Cyanobacterial blooms in the Baltic Sea: natural or human induced? Limnol. Oceanogr.Vol. 45, pp. 716—726.
19. HELCOM (2009). Eutrophication in the Baltic Sea — An integrated thematic assessment of the effects of nutrient enrichment and eutrophication in the Baltic Sea region. Balt Sea Environ Proc No 115B. Helsinki: HELCOM, p. 148.
20. Flinkman, J., Aro, E., Vuorinen, I., Viitasalo, M. 1998. Changes in northern Baltic zooplankton and herring nutrition from 1980s to 1990s: top-down and bottom-up processes at work. ...
The European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and accomplishments
The sea and inland hinterland of Baltic Europe form a unique macro-regional unit. Strong collaboration links, and competition in the Baltic Sea region, are an inherent feature of the region from the beginning of its civilization development. Since 2004, the Baltic Sea has become an internal sea of the European Union. This fact no doubt strengthened the cooperation of the countries in the region....
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
The article describes the motives, objectives and findings of preparing a perspective for territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region and discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing ...
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
The Baltic Sea region and the Black Sea area are overlapping regions that have their own political, historical and cultural peculiarities. They belong to the same geopolitical system, within which they are developing two regional cooperation subsystems strongly influenced ...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
... to the author, Baltic Europe is being formed as a single administrative, economic, cultural and infrastructural area, which could become a new economic and cultural center of Europe. Special emphasis is given to policies and strategies of the EU in the Baltic Sea region.
Andrulewicz E., 1994, Morze Bałtyckie, jego zagrożenia i ochrona, Państwowa Inspekcja Ochrony Środowiska, Warszawa.
. Ciesielski ...
A functional description of the model for the protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic Sea region
... the countries and regions, the economies of which affect the safety of Russia’s interests in the Baltic, do not coincide with the boundaries of the ecosystems. This calls for a study of the legal protection of Russia’s environmental interests in the Baltic Sea region. There is no legal mechanism for ensuring a balance between the interests of development and those of environmental security of the countries that have shorelines along the Baltic Sea. Thus, it is necessary to give a functional description of the ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... methodological material for the study of the 21st century Baltic regionalisation. Current trends in the development of the Baltic region, whose academic analysis is impossible without considering earlier cases of successful interactions between the peoples of the Baltic Sea region, necessitate political, economic, and historical research on the strengths and weaknesses of the Hanseatic League. Unfortunately, in the 21st century, the Baltic region turned into a stage for geopolitical controversies. This took a toll on the ...
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
The article aims at analyzing the role of cross-border cooperation in the development of innovation potential of the Baltic Sea Region. The author analyzes the projects in the framework of the Neighborhood Programs implemented in 2000—2006 and related to the development of innovation potential in the Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the South-East Baltic. The author makes ...
Variability of climatic characteristics оver the South-East Baltic coastal waters in the early XXI century
... the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change / T. F. Stocker, D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner [et al.] (eds.). Cambridge University Press, 2013.
6. Rutgersson A., Jaagus J., Schenk F., Stendel M. Observed changes and variability of atmospheric parameters in the Baltic Sea region during the last 200 years // Climate Research. 2014. № 61. P. 177—190.
7. Bates B. C., Kundzewicz Z. W., Wu S., Palutikof J. P. Climate Change and Water / IPCC Secretariat. Geneva, 2008.
8. Omstedt A., Elken J., Lehmann A. et al. Progress ...
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
The Baltic Sea region is one of the most developed transnational regions. It comprises the coastal areas of Russia, Germany, and Poland and the entire territories of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. New spatial forms of international economic ...
Forecasting Actions of Baltic elites: A Scenario Approach
... Moscow, p. 113—114.
4. Hrustalev, M. A. 2015, Analiz mezhdunarodnyh situacij i politicheskaja jekspertiza [Analysis of the International Situation and Political Expertise], Moscow, p. 39—51.
5. Klemeshev, A. P. Mezhevich, N. M., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, The Baltic Sea Region: The Territory and Inner Structure, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, MCSER Publishing, Rome-ltaly, Vol 6, no. 6, December, p. 212—219.
6. Boll, G. 1968, The Discipline of Power. Essentials of Modern World Structure, Boston, p. 15—16....
Geopolitical and Geo-economic Changes in the Baltic Sea Region at the Turn of the XX—XXI centuries
The article describes the process and results of the geopolitical and geoeconomic changes in the Baltic Sea region at the turn of the XX and XXI centuries. The authors assess the political, economic and military potential of individual countries and groups of countries. Ranking the selected countries and grouping them according to the similarity of their characteristics ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... the countries of the Baltic region aimed at the development of international clusters. ‘International cluster’ is defined as a new form of spatial economy. The author identifies and maps organised international clusters and cluster initiatives in the Baltic Sea region countries. The international clusters of the Baltic region are characterised according to the following criteria: the degree of geographical localisation, the organisational type of formation, and specialisation areas. The author analyses the degree ...
The transnational territorial transport system of the Baltic Region
In this paper we focus on the structure and territorial borders of the Baltic Sea region, and examine the key structural elements of the transnational territorial transport system. In this respect, we clarify some terms used in transport geography. For the first time the transport system gets territorially localized, which allows for ...
Small business developing the regional Identity: a case study in the Baltic Sea Region
This article compares the frequency of the use of the toponym 'Baltic' in the names of small enterprises in Baltic cities. The author draws conclusions on the role of small business in the development of regional identity in the Baltic Sea region and assesses the prospects for the formation of a regional business community in the Baltic region.
Дискурс в региональном контексте — Балтийское измерение: ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
The article explores opportunities for the sustainable economic development of coastal territories in the Baltic Sea region (BSR) arising in blue economy sectors in the framework of digital transformation. The study argues that a more active commercialisation of territorial resources can facilitate the sustainable economic development of the BSR coastal territories,...
The Erasmus Mundus programme as a vehicle for development
1. The OECD and the Millennium Development Goals, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, available at: http://www.oecd. org/document/37/0,3746,en_2649_33721_34087845_1_1_1_1,00.html (accessed 17 December 2010).
2. EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, European Comission, available at:http://ec.europa.eu/regional_ policy/cooperation/baltic/index_en.htm (accessed 12 November 2010).
3. EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, Baltic Sea Portal, available at: http://www.itameriportaali.fi/en/suojelu/euyhteistyo/en_GB/eunitameristrategia/ ...
Crossborder and trans-border cooperation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region
The forms of crossborder and transborder cooperation of mediumsized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region are described. The
description of wto European Union’s instruments for international cooperation in Baltic Sea Region is presented. The short analysis of participation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in projects of programmes for transborder and crossborder cooperation such as Interreg III B (Baltic Sea Region Neighbourhood Programme) and Interreg III A (Lithuania-Poland-Kaliningrad ...
Macroalgae Suggested for Inclusion in the New Edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region
... Dziedzie J. et al. Red list of the algae in Poland // Red list of plants and fungi in Poland. Krakow, 2006. P. 35―52.
26. Sub-regional risk of spill of oil and hazardous substances in the Baltic Sea // Additional Study — Polish marine areas, 2011. Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007— 2013. 2011. January.
27. Urbanyak J., Sugier P., Gąbka M. Charophytes of the Lubelsczyzna region (Eastern Poland) // Acta Sicietatis Botanicorum Poloniae. 2011. Vol. 80, № 2. P. 159 ― 168.
28. Urbanyak J., Gąbka M. Polish Charophytes. An illustrated guide to identification. Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego we ...
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... advantageous quality-price ratio of the services offered contribute to the growth of competitiveness on the international tourism market. Service standards applied in Lithuania at the international tourism market uphold and improve the image of Lithuania in the Baltic Sea region. The interregional cooperation between Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia in the field of international tourism development is based on the principle of public private partnership. It has been recently acknowledged that the three Baltic States form ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
Transnational (involving countries) and cross-border (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here is comparable to that of Poland and the three Baltic States. At the same time, the features of innovative cooperation ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... industrial-port complexes. In: Shvede, E. E. Geografiya okeanov [Geography of the oceans], collection of scientific papers, Leningrad, p. 51—56. (In Russ.)
15. Lachininskii, S., Semenova, I. 2015, Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region, Balt. Reg., Vol. 7, no. 3, p. 47—57. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-3-4.
16. Lymarev, V. I. 1986, Morskie berega i chelovek [Sea coast and people], Moscow. (In Russ.)
17. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki. Geograficheskaya teoriya razvitiya sovremennykh obshchestv [Civilization and the great historical rivers. Geographic theory of the development ...
Saint-Petersburg in the Baltic Sea region
The article describes the place of St Petersburg in international cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of the Baltic region as one of the priorities of the international relations of the city. The authors show continual attention of Saint-Petersburg to developing international relations in the Baltic Sea region. The article indicates ...
"The Baltic University" programme on the eve of its 20th anniversary
This article is dedicated to the Baltic University programme — a unique educational project aiming at the sustainable development of the Baltic Sea region. International interuniversity cooperation facilitates intercultural communication between students and researchers, and creates new prospects for joint research, which opens up an opportunity for solving common environmental and social problems ...
The prospects of entrepreneurship in the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region
The article offers an analytical review of the prospects for the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region with the participation of small and medium businesses. In view of the essential features of entrepreneurship, its prospects in the development and implementation of innovations seem to be quite attractive. However, in the current economic context,...
The Baltic macroregion: geographical macrostructures, communication features, innovative potential
The article considers and assesses the influence of macro-geographical factors on communication behaviour of people in the course of transition to innovative economy through the example of the Baltic Sea region.
1. Dinamika razvitija jekonomicheskogo krizisa: Sweden [The dynamics of the economic crisis: Sweden], 2010, Informacionnyj bjulleten' Instituta Baltijskogo regiona RGU im. I. Kanta [Newsletter of the Institute of Baltic Studies of the Immanuel ...
International research cooperation in the Baltic region: a scientometric analysis
This article examines the processes of international research cooperation in the Baltic Sea region. It focuses on research works published in the leading periodicals in 1993—2012. The empirical material is collected from the world’s largest abstract and citation database, SciVerse Scopus, which makes it possible to evaluate macroindicators ...
Major infrastructure projects and the foreign policy of the Baltic states in 2010—2014
... political motivation. It is concluded that the disregard of the factor of mutually beneficial economic cooperation with Russia destabilizes the development of national economic of the Baltic States. The author believes that modern infrastructure projects in the Baltic Sea region should be integrated into both western and eastern dimensions.
1. Hartija 12 za poslednij mesjac sobrala v svoju podderzhku vsego 200 podpisej [Charter 12 last month gathered in his support of all 200 signatures], 2012, DELFI, available at: http://rus....
The Baltic policy of Germany and current international relations
....de/diss_587/d587.pdf [2.Mai 2003] (accessed 10.02.2015).
6. Klein, A. M., Gesine, H. 2010, Germany’s Relations with the Baltic States since Reunification, Kas international reports, no. 9, p. 60—74.
7. Krohn, A. 1996, Germany. In: Krohn, A. (Hg.), The Baltic Sea Region: National and International Security Perspectives, Baden-Baden, S. 96—115.
8. Lucas, H.-D. 199,8 United Germany, the Baltic States and the Baltic Sea Region. In: Jopp, M., Arnswald, S. (Hg.), The European Union and the Baltic States. Visions,...
Transboundary spatial planning in the Baltic Sea Region
The article explores the development of the transboundary spatial planningn as the key aspects of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea region.
Давидов Д., Чекалина Т.
Калининград: плюсы и минусы эксклавности // Космополис. 2008. №
2(21). С. 144.
Использование сетевого ...
Population Ageing as a Sociodemographic Problem in the Baltic Region
... Proceedings of Economics Development and Research, Vol. 31, p. 134—138.
10. Berzins, A., Zvidrins, P. 2011, Depopulation in the Baltic States, Lithuanian Journal of Statistics, Vol. 50, no. 1, p. 39—48.
11. Hanell, T. 2000, Troubling demographic trends in the Baltic Sea Region, North, Vol. 11, no. 2—3, p. 5—11.
12. Juska, A., Ciciurkaite, G. 2014, Older-age care politics, policy and institutional reforms in Lithuania, Ageing and Society, Vol. 35, no. 4, 25 April 2014, p. 725—749. DOI: 10.1017/S0144686X13001037....
The problems of the protection of the Baltic Sea in the regions of the Russian Federation: the example of the Kaliningrad region
This article examines solutions to the environmental problems of the Baltic Sea in the Kaliningrad region. The authors focus on the implementation of the HELCOM recommendation, which stipulates the elimination of all sources of eutrophication (the so-called hot spots) as well as the construction of modern waste water treatment facilities. The study ...
Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region
... cross-border, and transnational clusters. The author presents a classification of international clusters of the Baltic Sea states, and identifies cross-border and transnational clusters. The paper considers the features of international clusters in the Baltic Sea region, as well as certain cases of implementation of national and international cluster policy. A comparative analysis of the Baltic Sea region provides a basis for identifying countries with high concentration of international clusters such as the Scandinavian ...
Forms of International Cooperation in Environmental Education: the Experience of Saint Petersburg State University
The authors analyse different forms of environmental education projects and programmes implemented in the Baltic Sea region. The first one is “The Baltic University” programme taught in English. The “Baltic University” is a network of more than 200 universities from 14 counties of the Baltic Sea region. This education programme offers an opportunity for students ...
The evolution of US political priorities in the Baltic sea region in the 2010s
The fundamental geopolitical changes in the Baltic Sea region after the end of the Cold War caused the United States to revise its priorities in that part of the world. The process became especially apparent in the second decade of the 21st century when the Ukraine crisis brought to light the consequences ...
NATO Policies in the Baltics: Objectives and Priorities
The authors employ geopolitical analysis to identify the core characteristics of NATO’s current policy towards the Baltic Sea region. After the demise of the Soviet Union, the region was considered as one of the safest in terms of military security. However, in the aftermath of the Ukraine crisis, the region has witnessed a growing tension in relations between NATO and the Russian ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
Marine spatial planning is a relatively new area of cooperation in the Baltic Sea region — a site of long-term joint efforts towards environmental protection and sustainable development. At the beginning of the 21st century, the integrated management of coastal zones and marine spatial planning emerged as a new area of international ...
Suspended Particulate Matter Distribution Along the Northern Coast of the Kaliningrad Peninsula
... Процессы осадконакопления в Гданьском бассейне (Балтийское море). М., 1987. C. 30—57.
13. Bubnova E., Krechik V., Sivkov V. Suspended matter concentration alongside the northern coastline of Kaliningrad region (south-eastern part of the Baltic Sea) // EMECS'11 SeaCoasts XXVI. August 22—27, 2016, St. Petersburg, Russia. Joint conference. Managing risks to coastal regions and communities in a changing world. Abstract Book. St. Petersburg, 2016. P. 145.
14. Cyberska В., Krzyminski W. Extention ...
Innovative education for the Baltic region: the experience of the Finnish-Russian Cross-border University
The article defines the innovative features of teaching international relations in the Baltic Sea Region at the graduate level, taking as an example the double degree program in international relations of the Finnish-Russian Cross-Border University, set up by the St. Petersburg State University and the University of Tampere the article also evaluates ...
Maritime transport as a system-building element of the Baltic transnational transport region
....com/news/gruzooborot-porta-gamburg-germaniya-za-2010-god-vy (дата обращения:18.12.2012).
11. Baltic Sea Ports: Tasks, development potentials and current issues. URL:www. rostock-port. de (дата обращения: 18.12.2012).
12. Baltic Port list 2006. Annual cargo statistic of ports in the Baltic Sea region/ A publication from the centre for maritime studies university of Turku. Turku,2008.
13. Baltic ports volumes in 2009// Baltic Transport Journal. 2010. № 4. P. 28—33.
international transport region, Baltic region, transport system,...
Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
... and the organization of marine activities. This methodology can help to identify a role of coastal territories in the economy and reflect perspectives and directions of strategic development of coastal zones, and sea industrial and port facilities of the Russian Federation.
1. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2009, Baltijskoe more: primorskie regiony i ih morehozjajstvennyj potencial [Baltic Sea: coastal regions and marine economic potential], Ekonomicheskie strategii, no. 8, p. 150—155.
2. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2008, Indikatornye metody kak instrument kompleksnogo analiza i ocenki primorskih territorij [Indicator as an instrument of a comprehensive analysis ...
Communication of Covid-19 consequences in the Baltic States inforsphere
... the threat and its consequences. Particular attention is paid to the media strategies pursued in the study area. The research is based on Russian and English texts from the Baltic media, WHO official documents and datasets, as well as initiatives of the Baltic Sea region organisations (2020) counteracting Covid-19. A combination of these sources builds up an objective view of the situation and demonstrates how the pandemic and its consequences are represented in public consciousness given a certain pragmatic goal....
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
..., Netherlands Institute of International Relations «Clingendael», no. 10, 45 p.
23. Wellmann, Chr. (ed.), 1998, From town to town. Local actors as transnational actors, Hamburg, LIT Verlag.
24. Zalamans, D. 2008, Mental and Physical Borderlines in the Baltic Sea Region, St. Petersburg, available at: http://www. indepsocres. spb. ru/zalam_e. htm (accessed 19 July 2011).
25. Zalamans, D. 2001, Transboundary regionalization — the case of Haparanda and Tornio. In: Bucken-Knapp, G., Schack, M. (eds.). Borders matter: ...
Intensification of Russian role in trans-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea region
Cross-border cooperation between administrative and municipal districts enlarges fast in the Baltic Sea macroregion. Intensification of Russian regions’ participation in such cooperation as well as formation of trans-border socio-economic systems may shift their development to the innovative type.
Oding N. Yu., Fedorov G. M.
transborder cooperation, Baltic Sea macroregion, innovative
The development of mutual external commerce of the Baltic Sea region countries as a sign of integration processes in the Baltic Sea Region
The article continues the analysis of the social and economical development of the Baltic Sea region, conducted by Baltic Center for
Advanced Studies and Education (BaltCASE) in frames of the research project «Russia and EU: Past, Present, Future».
регион как полюс экономической интеграции ...