Transboundary spatial planning in the Baltic Sea Region
... трансграничного сотрудничества // Вестник Российского государственного университета им. И
. 2007. №
7. С. 92—97.
Long Term Perspective for the spatial development of the BSR — Proposal for character, structure and overall objective/ Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications. URL: http://www.vasab.org.
European Territorial Research Community ESPON. Linking Territorial Research and Practice: An agenda for the future.
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... of the economy: development, theoretical and practical significance], Izvestija AN SSSR, Ser. Geografija [Izvestiya AN SSSR, Ser. Geography], no. 5, p. 16—28.
8. Litovka, О. P. 1976, Problemy prostranstvennogo razvitija urbanizacii [Problems of spatial development of urbanization], Leningrad, 100 p.
9. Martynov, V. L., Sazonova, I. Е. 2012, The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (11), p. 81—88. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-10.
10. Pertsik, Е. N. 2006, Rajonnaja planirovka (territorial'noe planirovanie) [Regional planning (land use ...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
This article considers major trends in the spatial and sectoral structure of national production and analyses the patterns of transformation of industrial systems into integrated industrial complexes, which show higher efficiency in transit condiétions. The author presents a new approach to studying the structural ...
The role of the river Rhine in the formation of spatial structure of the economy of European countries (1st century BC — 19th century AD)
... retrace the historical sequence of the formation of territorial structure of economies of the Rhine basin countries. The research and practical significance of the work lies in the identification of the periods of increased activity in the formation of spatial structural communications of the states mentioned. The author applies the historical-descriptive approach and cartographical-geographical modelling to identify the main stages of this process. The author arrives at the following conclusions. The beginning ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
... экономического взаимодействия и сотрудничества.
Калининград: Изд-во РГУ им. И. Канта, 2008.
Dubois A., Schürmann C.
Transport and accessibility in the Baltic Sea Region — structures and perspectives // Spatial Planning and development in the Baltic Sea Region. Bonn 2009:8/9. P. 547—560.
Blažauskas N., Fedorov G., Klimenko N.
et al. Potentials of the east — Baltic States, Russia and Belarus // Ibid. P. 569—586.
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
... the Strategy for Marine Development of the Russian Federation until 2030. However, Russian legislation contains no provisions regulating this field. This article presents the results of a study aimed to devise a methodology for developing the model structure of a maritime plan for the Baltic Sea. The study methodology is based on current regulations on marine use and na-ture management as well as international maritime planning practices. Since marine planning is closely connected with spatial planning, the study pays special attention to their convergence in developing maritime plans. The authors stress the need for legislative efforts aimed at integrating marine planning in the current legal framework for the regional authorities ...
Marine Spatial Planning: Theoretical Aspects
... transboundary marine basins. I propose the following techniques: geographical zoning, identification of an area and basin-specific combinations of natural resources, geoinformation modelling, and forecast analysis for different activities and relevant spatial elements of aquaterritorial structures.
Baklanov P. Ya.
marine spatial planning, coastal- marine space segment, marine geosystems, trans-boundary marine basins, natural resource combinations, aqua-territorial structures, planning techniques, geographical zoning
Spatial structure and development of settlements in the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
This article explores the spatial structure and development of settlements comprising the Saint Petersburg agglomeration. Previous studies and database sources, which were never used before (the Federal Tax Service [FTS] database and SPARK-Interfax), are analysed to reveal factors in ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... S. 2007, Innovation and networking in peripheral areas — a case study of emergence and change in rural manufacturing, European Planning Studies, no. 15, p. 511—529.
Kolesnikov N., Tolstoguzov O.
economic space transformation, core-periphery, spatial inequality, structure of gross regional product
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
... available at:
18. Fujita, M., Krugman, P. R., Venables, A. 2001, The spatial economy: Cities, regions, and international trade, MIT press.
19. Golub, S. S., Hsieh, C.-T. 2000, Classical Ricardian ... ... The Annals of Regional Science, Vol. 41, no. 3, p. 545—561.
21. Hanson, G. 1997, Increasing returns, trade and the regional structure of wages, The Economic Journal, no. 107 (440), p. 113—133.
22. Hanson, G. 1998, Regional adjustment to trade liberalization,...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... Journal of Regional Science. 2001. № 24(1). P. 21—40.
47. Czamanski S., Czamanski D. Industrial complexes: Their typology, structure and relation to Regional development // Papers of the Regional Science Association. 1977. № 38. P. 93—111.
48. Dicken ... ... research in organizations // The Academy of Management Review. 1982. № 7(2). P. 280—291.
52. Garofoli G. The Italian model of spatial development in the 1970s and 1980s // Industrial Change and Regional Development / ed. by G. Benko, M. Dunford. L., 1991....
The spatial model of conceptual metaphor in A. Ilichevky’s collection of short stories An Asinine Jaw
This article considers the structure of the conceptual metaphor of death in A.V. Ilichevsky’s collection of short stories An Asinine Jaw. The existential spatial model of the mentioned metaphor and the specific character of its cognitive-semantic organization are revealed. The author identifies the specific features of the metaphorical reconsideration of Russian reality and the ways of the character’s ...
Spatial development of network entrepreneurial structures of the service industry: a methodology for selecting towns for opening new outlets
... университета экономики и управления. 2007. № 2. URL: http://www.nsaem.ru/Science/Publications /Science_notes/Archive/2007/2/371.pdf (дата обращения: 12.05.2009).
network entrepreneurial structure, spatial allocation, typology of towns, cluster analysis, fuzzy set theory, key success factor, integrated assessment.
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... collaborative research networks // Technovation. 1995. № 15 (9). P. 553—567.
31. Martin R., Pike A., Tyler P., Gardiner B. Spatially Rebalancing the UK Economy: Towards a New Policy Model? // Regional Studies. 2016. № 50 (2). P. 342—357.
32. Mastroeni ... ... Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. 2016. № 49. P. 280—290.
44. Walker G., Kogut B., Shan W. Social capital, structural holes and the formation of an industry network // Organization Science. 1997. № 8 (2). P. 109—125.
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... fields, such as environmental and climate studies, geology, urban studies, and serve as rather efficient tools of analysing spatial objects and phenomena. One of such systems has been developed and is successfully functioning at the Immanuel Kant Baltic ... ... the background for the search of possible development strategies in the region, and note that the creation of a regional GIS structure can become a necessary component of the region’s information and communication structure; this conclusion can be considered ...
The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity
... in the internal structure of its Christian space.
1. Safronov, S. G. 1998, Religious pace of Russia, Naseleniye i obschestvo [Population and society], no. 22, p. 1—4. (In Russ.)
2. Filimonova, I. Yu. 2008, Distinctive features of confessional structure of population of Orenburg area: spatial difference, Etnopanorama, no. 1—2, pp. 53—61. (In Russ.)
3. Safronov, S. G. 2013, Regional structure and dynamics of contemporary confessional structure of Russia, Regionalnye issledovaniya [Regional studies], no. 4, p. 87—100.
Nonlinear dissipative structures as model of two-dimensional optic solitons
... dimensions and anti ”blow-up” solutions are constructed.
1. Boiti M., Leon J. J.-P., Pempinelli F. Spectral transform for a two spatial dimension extension of the dispersive long wave equation // Inverse Problems. 1987. Vol. 3. P. 371.
2. Гарагаш ... ... нелинейных уравнений // ТМФ. 1999. Т. 119, № 3. С. 419–428.
Yurov A., Shpilevoy A., Gritsenko V.
dissipative structures, optic solitons, Darboux and Laplace transformations, Boiti — Leon — Pempinelli equations.
Russian Socio-Economic Geography: Status, Challenges, Perspectives
... and unselective in the application of theoretical and methodological tools liberally borrowed from other branches of both geography and economics. The only way this discipline can return to its former glory is by going all the way back to doing proper spatial research.
1. Agirrechu, А. А. 2014, Struktura i dinamika zashhit dissertacij po social'nojekonomicheskoj geografii v Rossii v 2000-e gody [Structure and dynamics of a thesis on the social and economic geography in Russia in the 2000s], Regional'nye issledovanija [Regional studies], no. 1 (43), p. 152—153.
2. Anuchin, V. А. 1963, Teoreticheskie problemy geografii [Theoretical problems ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... geography in the context of managerial decision-making. The regional economic geographical approach to studying network forms of spatial organisation makes it possible to take into account not only the organisational features of the network itself, but also ... ... Moscow, 350 p.
2. Baklanov, P. Ya. 2009, Territorial'naja struktura hozjajstva i jekonomicheskoe rajonirovanie [The territorial structure of the economy and economic zoning]. In: Shkirina, А. I., Shuvalov, V. Е. (eds.), Social'no-jekonomicheskaja geografija: ...
Poet’s corporeal topography in M. Tsvetaeva’s cycle “The Sibyl”
The body is considered as a spatial structure that serves in M. Tsvetaeva’s poetics as a form of spatial “exploration” of the world. The authors describe the functioning of the body image as a model juxtaposed with the structure of universe, on the one hand, and the being of the poet,...
Rural areas of Eastern Germany: modern challenges
... main problems those territories are facing today hatched already in the mid-1990s. In our study we address the problems and challenges that hinder sustainable development of East German rural areas. We analyse agricultural statistics and describe the structure of agricultural enterprises, land-use, and other critical dimensions of agriculture. We discuss pros and cons of modern rural areas spatial planning policy and take a critical look at the current status of rural areas. We also put forward a number of concrete proposals aimed at the development of the area and counteracting the negative trends it is now experiencing. Even taking into ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
13. Sala-i-Martin, X. 1996, The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis, The Economic Journal, Vol. 106, no. 437, July, p. 1019—1036.
14. Dall’erba, S., Le Gallo, J. 2003, Regional Convergence and the Impact of the European Structural Funds Over 1989—1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis, REAL Discussion Papers.
15. Brasili, C., Gutierrez, L. 2004, Regional Convergence Across European Union, EconPapers: Development and Comp Systems, 0402002.
16. Förster, M., Jesuit, D., Smeeding, T. Regional Poverty and ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
International cluster is a relatively new form of spatial organisation of economy in the globalisation conditions, which has become a frequent phenomenon in European countries,... ... Baltic region. It requires a comprehensive study of both regional economics and economic geography. This article aims to identify structured international clusters in the Baltic region and map the corresponding regions. The results obtained will make it possible ...
Framework for the Analysis of Geography of Transnational Corporations Investments Abroad
... are considered an important contribution to the existing theoretical framework for studying FDI geography. Various patterns of spatial d istribution of FDI are examined taking Russian transboundary investments, including those distorted by the ‘neighbourhood ... ... promyshlennosti postsotsialisticheskih stran Tsentral’no-Vostochnoj Jevropy [Transformation of industrial and territorial structure of industry of post-socialist countries of Central and Eastern Europe], PhD thesis, Moscow.
9. Mironenko, N. S., Fomichev,...
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
... 16 January 2016).
3. Zhitin, D. V. 2012, Prostranstvennaya neodnorodnost' migracionnogo dvizheniya Rossii v 1991—2010 gg. [Spatial heterogeneity of Russian migration movement in 1991—2010 gg.], Vestnik S.-Peterb. Un-ta. Ser. 7 [Bulletin of St. Petersburg.... ... 44, Vol. 3, p. 543—568.
18. Hooghe, M., Trappers, A., Meuleman, B., Reeskens, T. 2008, Migration to European countries: A structural explanation of patterns, 1980—2004, International Migration Review, T. 42, Vol. 2, p. 476—504.
19. Kofman, E. ...
The Evolution of Settlement Areas of Ingrian Finns in Northwest Russia in the Second Half of the 20th Century
... Russian Finns. The results of research make it possible to foreground and describe in detail the available information on the spatial organisation of Russian Finnish population in the North-western region of Russia.
1. Anokhin, А. А., Khrushchev, S.... ... National Population Census 2002], in 14 volumes, T. 4, Vol. 1 Nacional'nyj sostav i vladenie jazykami, grazhdanstvo [National structure and language skills, citizenship], 2004, Moscow, 945 p.
8. Itogi Vsesojuznoj perepisi naselenija 1989 goda [Results ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... The authors analyze the existing typologies of forms of cooperation in the field of research, technology, and innovation, within which cases of networking are identified. The article gives a definition of interorganizational networks in view of the spatial and structural components of networking. The authors introduce the notion of international interorganizational networks as a special form of international cooperation. A study into the spatial form of interorganizational networks helps explain the effect ...
Matrix Representation of the Kaliningrad Regional Accounts System: Experimental Development and Modelling Prospects
... analysis and forecasting], Voprosy statistiki [Statistical Issues], no. 2, p. 1—14.
6. Zakharchenko, N. G. 2012, Ispol'zovanie matric social'nyh schetov v modelirovanii struktury jekonomicheskoj sistemy [Using a matrix of social accounts in modeling the structure of the economic system], Prostranstvennaja jekonomika [Spatial Economics], no. 1, p. 69—89.
7. Informacionno-analiticheskij portal BFU im. I. Kanta. Regional'naja jekonomika i upravlenie [Informational and analytical portal Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal
University. Regional economy and management], available ...
Development of Aland Islands: major trends and challenges
... status or institutional makeup, but rather their economic and geographical position, the ‘concentration effect’, and the population influx. It is stressed that wide regional disparities observed within such small territory are indicative of the spatial structure of society development — primarily under the influence of natural features, which are nearly impossible to disregard.
1. Act on the Autonomy of Åland, 2013, available at: http://www.finlex.fi/sv/laki/kaannokset/1991/en19911144.pdf (accessed ...
The influence of center-periphery development on the alteration of CIS territorial structure of industry
The article explores the aspects of interaction between centre and periphery at various levels. The article reveals some factors which cause these stages changing and corresponding spatial processes. The article also describes the features of the contemporary stage of structural changes of the Commonwealth of Independent State's industry.
Экологическая геохимия: учебник. М.: Лотос, 2000.
Market forms of industrial production organisation as “growth poles” of the economy
... Analysis, Industry and the Industrial Environment, Progress in Research and Applications. Vol. 1: Industrial systems / ed. by F. E. I. Hamilton, L. G. J. R. Chichester. N. Y. ; Brisbane ; Toronto, 1979. P. 155—186.
12. Gorkin A. P., Smirnyagin L. V. A structural approach to industrial systems in different social and economic environments // Spatial Analysis, Industry and the Industrial Environment. Progress in Research and Applications. Vol. 1: Industrial systems / ed. by F. E. I. Hamilton, L. G. J. R. Chichester. N. Y. ; Brisbane ; Toronto, 1979. P. 25—36.
13. Perroux F. Note on the ...
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
... The Identification of Regional Industrial Clusters Using Qualitative Input—Output Analysis (QIOA), Regional Studies, Vol. 45, no. 1, p. 89―102.
44. Vishvanath, A., Chen, H. 2006, Technology Clusters: Using Multidimensional Scaling to Evaluate and Structure Technology Clusters, Journal Of The American Society For Information Science And Technology, no. 57(11), p. 1451―1460.
45. Yang, G., Stough, R., Haynes, K. 2008, Spatial and functional clustering: a comparative analysis of the Baltimore and Washington DC metropolitan regions in the US. In: Handbook of Research on Innovation and Clusters: Cases and Policies, Edward Elgar, p. 343―358.
Structural features of upwelling in South-East Baltic
... Circulation Model.
: American Geophysical
, 1987. P. 16.
Application of a
-coordinate baroclinic model to the
2002. V. 44, №
1. P. 59—80.
Golenko M. N.
upwelling spatial structure, model building, factors.
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
Earliest studies into the influence of the sea on the economy and settlement structure date back to the mid-19th century. They became common in the 20th century. Researchers have come to a general understanding ... ... Baltic macroregion. In transnational macroregions, such typological differences must be taken into account in strategic and spatial planning at the intergovernmental level.
1. Alkhimenko, A. P. 1992, Issues of the regional organization of marine nature ...
Development of geoportal of the center of space services on basis of open systems
... and work with metadata, Geo-Server — for publication of geodata, PostGreSQL — for storage of geodata) and open formats (WMS, WFS, KML) for the publication of geodata was used. Structures of NoSQL tables for storage and management of full text and spatial indexes, and also structure of query to tables are described.
1. Козлов А. В., Брыксин В. М., Назаров И. В. Пример реализации каталога пространственных данных // XII International Conference on Geoinformatics....
Conceptual metonymy of the structure of the utterance
The author analyses examples from the English language and, based on their analysis, investigates the mechanism of conceptual metonymy reflected in the syntactic structure of the utterance. Conceptual metonymy is considered as a factor determining the structure of the utterance describing a fragment of reality. The author explores models of metonymic transfers, in which spatial relations act as the source domain, and identifies types of situations, which are metonymically represented as the location and movement of the object in space.
1. Берестнев Г. И. Семантика русского языка в ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... prognozirovanie mirovoj dinamiki [Modeling and forecasting of world dynamics], Moscow, 360 p. (In Russ.)
20. Tupikin, S. N. 2003, The structural analysis of gales in southeast Baltic and the Kaliningrad region. In: Kompleksnoe izuchenie bassejna Atlanticheskogo ... ... Federal University, no. 1, p. 72—78. (In Russ.)
23. Barinova, G., Koroleva, Y., Krasnov, E. 2012, Indicative Modeling and spatial evaluation of air pollution risk. In: Kremers, H., Susini, A. (eds.), Risk models and applications, p. 23—34.
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
16. Caragliu A., Nijkamp P. Space and knowledge spillovers in european regions: The impact of different forms of proximity on spatial knowledge diffusion // Journal of Economic Geography. 2016. № 16 (3). P. 749—774. doi: 10.1093/jeg/lbv042.
17. Coenen ... ...., Fosse J. K. Linking the bottom-up and top-down evolution of regional innovation systems to policy: Organizations, support structures and learning processes // Industry and Innovation. 2019. № 26 (4). P. 419—438. doi: 10.1080/ 13662716.2018.1438248....
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
... taking into account households’ income and housing costs (mortgage and rent) in one indicator given the current home ownership structure in an economy. After the purchasing power parity (PPP) adjustment, our calculations reveal that the standard of living ... ... during the Transition from Planned to Market Economy, Washington, DC, the World Bank.
34. Karmowska, G., Marciniak, M. 2015, Spatial Diversification of Living Standards in the Former Communist Countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the Balkans, Comparative ...
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
engine/documents/document1258.pdf (accessed 15.01.2014).
12. Streletsky, V. N. 2011, Rossija v jetnokul'turnom izmerenii: faktory regionalizacii i prostranstvennye struktury [Russia in ethno-cultural dimension: the factors
of regionalization and spatial structures]. In: Regional'noe razvitie i regional'naja politika Rossii v perehodnyj period [Regional development and regional policy of Russia in the transition period], Moscow, p. 146—176.
13. Tishkov, V. 1997, Identichnost' i kul'turnye granicy [Identity ...
Geodemography of the Saint Petersburg Suburbs
... explained by the significant size of the area — a result of the territory’s historical development. The formation of the settlement system of the Saint Petersburg suburbs started with the foundation of the city, and continues to this day. Today, their spatial structure is shaped by the current administrative border between Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad region — a product of the territory’s development in the Soviet period of Russia’s history. The lengthy process of border formation has given it ...
Edward Stachura’s existential character and the Polish wedding chronotope
This article analyses the spatial and temporal structure of Edward Stachura’s short story “The Wedding” in an intertextual dialogue with Sta-nislaw Wyspianski’s play of the same name and in the existential literary-philosophical context. The author focuses on the problem of relations between ...
A method to construct the projection operators for the Poincare and Rossby waves in the atmosphere
Traditionally, in experimental studies of the wave structure of the atmosphere determine the frequency of the waves. These data are generally insufficient to identify the type of wave disturbances as well as the spatial scale is not defined waves. Problems can be solved by applying the method of projection operators, which allows us to identify the contribution of certain types of waves in the observed wave field. This work presents a procedure for constructing ...
Entrepreneurial capital of the region: the concept, manifestations and spatial localisation
... entrepreneurial capital is and how this capital can be measured and evaluated in view of its direct influence on the business environment and economic growth opportunities of a certain territory. This article presents the findings of a study into the complex structure of the concept of regional entrepreneurial capital and establishes how this concept is connected with such categories as entrepreneurial spirit, entrepreneurial substance, and entrepreneurial ability. Using an estimate of the number of economic ...
Development factors and regularities of the territorial structure of nature management
... Borderlands Studies. 2011. № 24:2. Р. 92—105.
26. Prishchepov A. V., Müller D., Bauman M. et al. Underlying Drivers and Spatial Determinants of post-Soviet Agricultural Land Abandonment in Temperate Eastern Europe // Land-Cover and Land-Use Changes ... ....org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2016.02.09
(дата обращения: 01.04.2018).
Vinogradova O. L.
nature use, territorial structure, factors of the evolution of nature management
The transnational territorial transport system of the Baltic Region
In this paper we focus on the structure and territorial borders of the Baltic Sea region, and examine the key structural elements of the transnational territorial transport system. In this respect, we clarify some terms used in transport ... ... Publications of the European Communities, 185 pp.
8. Towards an integrated Baltic Sea Region: Cities and Regions as drivers for spatial development and integration, VASAB, available at: http://www. vasab.org/east-west-window/documents/WG1_report_final_version_part2_appendix....
A metalanguage for hybrid intelligent systems of electrical grid visual control: hierarchy, structure, situations, and states
In this paper, we describe three levels of a visual meta-language for hybrid intelligent systems of electrical grid management: 1) hierarchies of resources, actions, and properties; 2) spatial and operational-technological structures; 3) situations and states. A visual metalanguage qualitatively changes the performance of the subject of management and allows them to recognize a problem at a glance and see a workable solution without drawing logical inferences.
1. Колесников ...
Geopolitical turbulence and its economic and geographical projections: the case of Russia’s western border regions
... socio-geographical projection. Special emphasis is made on its manifestations in the territorial organization of society and its structures. The author reveals the most relevant aspects of the territorial restructuring of the Russian economy, which is being ... ... partially regulated) series of changes in the global political order as a whole and in the position of a particular country and its spatial units — regions and large urban agglomerations. Such changes are obvious and significant for society; they are reflected ...
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... On the other hand, the receiving society also faces a serious transformation as a result of the changing population size and structure, the emergence of new elements in culture, rules of behaviour, and the development of new attitudes.
1. Emelyanova,... ... Analiz prostranstvennoj mobil'nosti naselenija Kaliningradskoj oblasti i voprosy migracionnogo regulirovanija [Analysis of the spatial mobility of the population of the Kaliningrad region and the issues of migration control], Region sotrudnichestva [Region ...
‘Many years to the invincible’: The axiological meanings of the spatial and temporal images in Boris Pasternak’s poem ‘Neoglyadnost’/’ Spanlessness’
This article is an attempt to expose and analyse the chronotopical structure of Boris Pasternak's poem ‘Neogliadnost’/’Spanlessness’, written in 1944. The axiological meaning of spatiotemporal images in the poet's Weltanschauung is evaluated within a broader context of Russian language and culture. It is argued ...