Spatial Planning in the European Union: Practices to Draw on in Russia
In this article, we employ a systemic-complex methodology to consider the targets, functions, and content of spatial planning in European countries and compare them to urban planning practices in Russia. We analyse concepts and terminology used in spatial planning and related areas — territorial, marine, and underground planning. The article examines the evolution ...
The Swedish model of spatial planning: Functions, problems, and solutions
In this study clarification and definition are provided for the bodies responsible for making administrative decisions for territorial development. The regulatory framework of spatial planning is also embodied. The main instruments of spatial planning are shown as different types of plans: Regional plan, Municipal comprehensive plan, Detailed development plan, Special area regulations and Property regulation plan. Particular attention ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
Marine spatial planning is a relatively new area of cooperation in the Baltic Sea region — a site of long-term joint efforts towards environmental protection and sustainable development. At the beginning of the 21st century, the integrated management of coastal zones ...
Transboundary spatial planning in the Baltic Sea Region
Region. Region Policy — Inforegio. URL:
VASAB co-operation for spatial planning and development. URL: https://www.kreis-lwl.de.
Spatial Planning for Future Development in the European Union / ULI.
a Framework for Spatial Development in the
Region // Third ...
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
The need for maritime spatial planning is articulated in the Strategy for Marine Development of the Russian Federation until 2030. However, Russian legislation contains no provisions regulating this field. This article presents the results of a study aimed to devise a methodology ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
Marine spatial planning has been widely applied in the leading maritime countries. However, it is not so common in Russia, since the relevant legal framework is largely absent. Spatial planning shares a number of features with marine planning, especially when it comes ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
... discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing maritime spatial planning and management are key issues to be solved in transnational cooperation
— Gdansk Declaration. Sixth Conference of Ministers responsible for spatial planning and development in the Baltic Sea Region, Gdansk 19 September ...
Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation
This article analyzes the principles of spatial planning, which form the basis for this type of urban development in the countries of the European Union (EU) and in the Russian Federation. The following principles are considered and compared for both territories: 1) promotion of territorial cohesion ...
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
The relevance of applied regional studies aimed at solving problems of adapting the nature management and spatial planning system to the current conditions of natural landscape transformation is based on the widespread interest in this topic from Russian and international researchers. Environmental approaches, which gained currency at the legislative level elsewhere ...
Marine Spatial Planning: Theoretical Aspects
In this article, I consider marine spatial planning (MSP) as a complex of analyses, calculations, and evaluations aimed to prove feasibility of economic activities and contribute to their development in a certain part of a sea or an ocean. A most likely comprehensive MSP object is an integrated ...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... Reg., no. 1 (11), p. 81—88. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-10.
10. Pertsik, Е. N. 2006, Rajonnaja planirovka (territorial'noe planirovanie) [Regional planning (land use planning)], Moscow, 398 p.
11. Skaterschikov, S. V., Chistobaev, А. I. 2014, Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (19), p. 104—112. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-1-9.
12. Sobolev, А. V. 2013, Prostranstvennye osobennosti vlijanija poljarizovannogo razvitija na municipal'nye obrazovanija ...
Border Position as a Factor of Strategic and Territorial Planning in Russian Regions in the Baltic
... of globalization, Russian border regions can form transborder regions through cooperation with the neighbouring territories of other states. The optimisation of spatial organisation of economy, social sphere, and nature management using the tools of spatial planning is fully justified in the case of transborder regions as well as in that of national ones. However, in Russia, spatial (strategic and territorial) planning does not imply joint development of documents with the border regions of neighbouring ...
On the relation between spatial concepts, strategic and territorial planning in the Russian Federation in the context of the development of the Kaliningrad / Vistula Lagoon region
... practice in Russia and in the region of Kaliningrad / Vistula Lagoon in particular. The research focuses on the opportunities of creating mechanisms for coordination and joint work of Russian and Polish partners to provide for common or related programs of spatial planning in the region. The research was carried out by Russian and Polish partners in the framework of the international project "Opportunities and Benefits sharing the Vistula Lagoon", implemented within the "Lithuania — Poland — ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
...? Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach, Research Policy, no. 34, p. 1203—1219.
20. Virkkala, S. 2007, Innovation and networking in peripheral areas — a case study of emergence and change in rural manufacturing, European Planning Studies, no. 15, p. 511—529.
Kolesnikov N., Tolstoguzov O.
economic space transformation, core-periphery, spatial inequality, structure of gross regional product
The use and environmental state of the Curonian Lagoon and its coastal zones
... Шванковской. Калининград, 2015. С. 6—14.
29. Эдельштейн К. К. Водохранилища России: экологические проблемы, пути их решения. М., 1998.
30. Ehler Ch., Douvere F. Maritime Spatial Planning // Annual Report. 2006. № 13. Р. 56—59.
31. Ehler C., Zaucha J., Gee K. Maritime/Marine Spatial Planning at the Interface of Research and Practice // Maritime Spatial Planning. Basingstoke, 2019. Р. 1—21.
32. The Wetland Energy Project....
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... Geographical Analysis of Population: With Applications to Planning and Business [M], New York, JohnWiley&Sons.
11. Porta, S., Latora, V., Wang, F. H. 2009, Street centrality and densities of retail and services in Bologna, Italy[J], Environ. Plan. B：Plan, no. 12(36), p. 450—465.
12. Qianqian, T., Kaiyu, L., Meiyue, L. 2015, Research on Optimization Strategy of the Urban Spatial Form under the Perspective of Low Carbon—A Case Study of Xi’an city [J], Journal of Low Carbon Economy, no. 4(3), p. 21—27.
13. Timothée, P，Nicolas, L B，Emanuele, S. et al. 2010, A Network Based Kernel Density Estimator Applied to Barcelona ...
Rural areas of Eastern Germany: modern challenges
... hinder sustainable development of East German rural areas. We analyse agricultural statistics and describe the structure of agricultural enterprises, land-use, and other critical dimensions of agriculture. We discuss pros and cons of modern rural areas spatial planning policy and take a critical look at the current status of rural areas. We also put forward a number of concrete proposals aimed at the development of the area and counteracting the negative trends it is now experiencing. Even taking into account ...
Regional development and spatial planning
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
... 58, no. 1, p. 1—18.
25. Kanbur, R., Zhang, X. 2005, Fifty years of regional inequality in China: a journey through central planning, reform, and openness, Review of development Economics, Vol. 9, no. 1, р. 87—106.
26. Krugman, P. 1991, Increasing ... ... suggested by the theory of comparative costs. Part I, The Economic Journal, no. 61(244), p. 697—724.
31. Martincus, C. V. 2010, Spatial Effects of Trade Policy: Evidence from Brazil, Journal of Regional Science, Vol. 50, no. 2, p. 541—569.
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
...., Asheim B. T. Nodes, networks and proximities: On the knowledge dynamics of the Medicon valley biotech cluster // European Planning Studies. 2004. № 12 (7). P. 1003—1018.
21. Delgado M., Porter M. E., Stern S. Defining clusters of related industries ... ... interorganizational networks come from? // American J. of Sociology. 1999. № 104 (5). P. 1439—1493.
26. Hanson A., Rohlin S. Do spatially targeted redevelopment programs spillover? // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2013. № 43 (1). P. 86—100.
Urban planning of Russian urban districts: Practices, problems, solutions
12. Хореев Б. С. Проблемы городов (Урбанизация и единая система расселения в СССР). М., 1975.
Chistobayev A., Visleneva O.
urban development, urban district, agglomeration, spatial planning, urban design.
The boundaries of the territorial community
... № 34. P. 535—547.
35. Asheim B. T. Industrial districts as ‘learning regions’: A condition for prosperity // European Planning Studies. 1996. № 4. P. 379—400.
36. Asheim B. T. Industrial districts, inter-firm co-operation and endogenous technological ... ...
43. Caragliu A., Nijkamp P. Space and knowledge spillovers in European regions: the impact of different forms of proximity on spatial knowledge diffusion // Journal of Economic Geography. 2016. № 16(3). P. 749—774.
44. Castells M., Hall P. Technopoles ...
Problems of the development of pre-agglomeration (semiperipheral) municipalities on the example of the Gvardeysk urban district
... processes in municipalities located at different distances from the agglomeration, with the aim of developing effective tools for spatial development that affect the entire territorial socio- economic system (region) The purpose of this study is to identify ... ... pre-agglomeration territories and to identify possible solutions. Based on the analysis of statistical data, documents of strategic planning of municipalities, as well as programs for the integrated development of transport infrastructure at the level of the ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... — coastal development corridors, which make an important contribution to the economic development and consolidation of the Baltic macroregion. In transnational macroregions, such typological differences must be taken into account in strategic and spatial planning at the intergovernmental level.
1. Alkhimenko, A. P. 1992, Issues of the regional organization of marine nature management and management of marine complexes. In: Alkhimenko, A. P. (ed.) Regional'naya organizatsiya i upravlenie morekhozyaistvennymi ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... and Space, no. 17 (1), p. 87—104.
21. Bathelt, H. 2002, The re-emergence of a media industry cluster in Leipzig, European Planning Studies, no. 10, p. 583—611.
22. Clark, G. L., Tracey, P. 2004, Global Competitiveness and Innovation: An Agent-Centered ... ... governments, available at: http://www.sandag. org/rta/transfer/industrial_clusters. pdf (accessed: 28.10.2014).
spatial system, economic network, cluster
Spatial development of network entrepreneurial structures of the service industry: a methodology for selecting towns for opening new outlets
This article deals with the phenomenon of genesis and development of network forms in entrepreneurship. Special attention is given to the spatial organization of network entrepreneurial structure’s economic activity under the conditions of geographic broadening of the network interaction scope. The author offers methods of town selection in the process of planning and development of network entrepreneurial structures in terms of locating new retail outlets of chain stores.
Болычев О. Н. Этапы развития и стратегическое планирование торговой сети ...
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... koncepcii prostranstvennoj jekonomiki [Institutional space in the concept of spatial economics], Prostranstvennaja ekonomika [Spatial economics], no. 1, p. 5—21.
4. Pravila plavanija po vnutrennim vodnym putjam Rossijskoj Federacii sportivnyh parusnyh ... ... XI Obshherossijskij forum «Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii» [XI All-Russian Forum "Strategic Planning in Regions and Cities of Russia"], Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2012, available at: http://datis.pro/upload/838/domnina_zhuraxovskaya_gritsenko....
Similarities and differences in curricula of a bachelor’s degree in oceanology at the universities in St Petersburg, Klaipeda, and Kaliningrad
2. Benavides, L. G., Arredodo, V. 1992, K novoj paradigme planirovanija obrazovanija [Towards a new paradigm of education planning], Perspektivy. Voprosy obrazovanija [Prospects. Education Matters], Vol. 77, no. ½, pp. 123—136.
3. Bolonskaja deklaracija.... ... morja v sinopticheskom diapazone prostranstvenno-vremennyh masshtabov [The dynamics of the Baltic Sea in the synoptic range of spatial and temporal scales], 2007, Saint Petersburg, Gidrometeoizdat, 354 p.
10. Ivanov, V. A., Pokazeev, K. V., Sovga, Ye. Ye....
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
... urban development it is possible to identify the interaction between the managerial process and mechanism; bring together the spatial and activity-related concepts of territorial development; and explain the phenomenon in question from both general and ... ... Atkinson, R. 2010, Evroremont gradostroitel'noj politiki [Eurorepair urban policy], Territorija i planirovanie [Territory and planning], no. 2 (26), p. 21—29.
2. Zhitkov, V. A., Labrents, B. V., Rosenthal, V. О. 2011, Regional'nye Strategii: praktika ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... southern parts of the Atlantic and Quiet oceans, Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 7, p.142—154. (In Russ.)
3. Dedkov, V. P., Fedorov, G. M. 2006, Prostranstvennoe, territorial'noe i landshaftnoe planirovanie v Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Spatial, territorial and landscape planning in the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 184 p. (In Russ.)
4. Zhindarev, L. A., Badyukova, E. N., Loukianov, S. A., Solovyova, G. D. 2008, The development of barrier-lagoon Southeast Baltic systems, Oceanology, Vol. 48, no.4, p. 641—647. (In ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
... Kuznetsov, A. V. (Ans. Ed.), 2009, Regional'naja politika stran ES [The regional policy of the EU], Moscow, IMEMO.
21. Petrakos, G, Rodríguez-Pose, A., Rovolis, A. 2005, Growth, integration, and regional disparities in the European Union, Environment and planning A, Vol. 37 (10), p. 1837—1855.
22. Arbia, G., Piras, G. 2005, Convergence in Per-capita GDP Across European Regions Using Panel Data Models Extended to Spatial Autocorrelation Effects, available at: http://www.isae.it/Working_Papers/WP_Arbia_Piras_n51_2005.pdf (accessed 26 November 2009).
23. Khotulev, A. 2012, Vlijanie regional'nogo investirovanija na processy social'no-jekonomicheskoj integracii ...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
16. Caragliu A., Nijkamp P. Space and knowledge spillovers in european regions: The impact of different forms of proximity on spatial knowledge diffusion // Journal of Economic Geography. 2016. № 16 (3). P. 749—774. doi: 10.1093/jeg/lbv042.
17. Coenen ... ... Advancing regional innovation systems: What does evolutionary economic geography bring to the policy table? // Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space. 2017. № 35 (4). P. 600—620. doi: 10.1177/0263774X16646583.
18. Cooke P., Boekholt P., Todtling ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... implications, Romanian journal of regional science, Vol. 8, no. 2, p. 74—83.
3. Pak, A., Majd, F. 2011, Integrated coastal management plan in free trade zones, a case study, Ocean and Coastal Management, no. 54, p. 129—136.
4. Cohen, J. E., Small, Chr., Mellinger,... ... In: Vallega, A. et al. (eds.) Geography, oceans and coasts towards sustainable development, p. 17—116.
6. Berardo, C. 1999, Spatial dynamics of Mediterranean coastal regions, Journal of Coastal Conservation, no. 5, p. 105—112.
7. Makhnovsky, D. E. ...
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
18. Mazurski, K. R. 2000, Geographical perspectives on Polish tourism, Geo-Journal, Т. 50, no. 2—3, p. 173—179. 19. Yi-De, L. 2014, Cultural Events and cultural tourism development: Lessons from the European Capitals of Culture, European Planning Studies, Vol. 22, no. 3, p. 498—514. DOI: 10.1080/09654313.2012.752442, available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09654313.2012.752442 (accessed: 30.09.2014).
Kropinova E., Kropinova K.
spatial organisation of tourism; city tourism; tourism economics; architectural landscape; tourist attractiveness; architectural and urban development contest; historical centre of Kaliningrad
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... Dal'nem Vostoke, no. 4, p. 76—89.
28. Gogoberidze, G. G., Lednova, Yu. A. 2014, Vozmozhnosti primeneniya KUPZ i printsipov morskogo prostranstvennogo planirovaniya v Rossiyskoy Federatsii [Possible applications of the principles of ICZM and marine spatial planning in the Russian Federation], Regional'naya ekologiya, no. 1—2, p. 141—144.
29. The Situation in Europe’s Coastal Zones. [Elektronnyy resurs], 2013, available at: http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/iczm/situation.htm (accessed 20.09.2013)....
The coastal factor in spatial development programmes for the municipalities of the Kaliningrad region
... projects taking advantage of the coastal factor. In this work, we set out to examine how the coastal municipalities of the region plan to benefit from the coastal factor in terms of socio-economic development. From our analysis of strategic documents and ... ... общества. 2017. Т. 149, № 6. С. 14—24.
Mikhaylov A. S., Mikhaylova A. A., Kuznetsova T. Y. Coastalization effect and spatial divergence: segregation of European regions // Ocean & Coastal Management. 2018. Vol. 161. Р. 57—65.
Innovative security of the region: the problem of the formation of the innovation environment of the Kaliningrad region
.... Riflessioni sul distretto industriale marshalliano come concetto socioeconomic // Statoe Mercato. 1989. № 25. P. 111—128.
22. Camagni R. Introduction: from the local «milieu» to innovation through cooperation networks // Innovation networks: spatial perspectives. L., 1991. P. 1—8.
23. Cooke P., Morgan K. The Network Paradigm: New Departures in Corporate and Regional Development // Environment and Planning D: Society and Space. 1993. № 11. P. 543—564.
24. Debresson Ch. Breeding innovation clusters: A source of dynamic development // World Development. 1989. № 17(1). P. 1—16.
25. Effective Regional Innovation Systems. Innovating Regions ...
Modern lines of research on rural population distribution systems
12. Wirth P.
Zukunftsorientierte Entwicklungsstrategien im ländlichen Raum der neuen Bundesländer // ProRegio. 1997
Levchnkov A. V., Rumyantseva M. G.
human geography, rural population distribution system, demography, spatial planning.
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
..., M. J. 2013, The Dynamics of Place Brands: Anidentity Based Approach to Place Branding Theory, Marketing Theory, Vol. 13, no. 1, p. 1—18. DOI:
34. Silva Oliveira, E. H. 2015, Place branding in strategic spatial planning: A content analysis of development plans, strategic initiatives and policy documents for Portugal 2014—2020, Journal of Place Management and Development, Vol. 8, no. 1, p. 23—50. DOI:
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... 30—41. (In Russ)
12. Lachininskii, S. S., Lachininskii, А. S., Semenova, I. V. 2016, The geoeconomic factor in formation of spatial structure of the St. Petersburg coastal area, Regional Research of Russia, Vol. 6, no. 4, p. 323—331.
13. Mezhevich,... ... Baltic Studies, Special Issue, p. 1—15.
49. Moilannen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to Brand Nations, Cities and Destinations: A Planning Book for Place Destination, New York, Palgrave Mcmillan, 202 p.
50. Olejniczak, K. 2008, Mechanizmy wykorzystania ewaluacji ...
Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
... complex approach. The research methodology is based on the assessment of marine potential of coastal territories as an indicator of the efficacy of its marine economic complex development with using the indicator methods as a multi-factor and multi-level spatial system. The proposed system is applied to a complex analysis of coastal territories of the Russian Baltic, the estimation of a socio-economic factor of coastal zone marine potential, as well as recommendations for long-term planning of the economic development of Russia’s coastal zones of the Baltic Sea and the organization of marine activities. This methodology can help to identify a role of coastal territories in the economy and reflect perspectives and directions of ...
Coastal and recreation landscape of Kaliningrad: modern potential and prospects for spatial development
... потенциал и его оценка // Эко. 1995. [e11] С. 108—118.
Emelyanova L. L., Feoktistova K. S.
recreation, tourism, historical and cultural potential, natural potential and specially protected natural areas, sustainable development, urban planning, functional zoning
The Development of Russian Social Geography: Challenges, Trends, Priorities
... value but acquire new meanings. The author concludes about the importance and the strategies of further integration within the community of social geography researchers, and points out the directions of future research: fundamental issues of Russian spatial planning, Russian positioning in both global and local (Eurasian) contexts.
1. Sushhiy, S. Ya., 1994, Ocherki geografii russkoj kul'tury [Essays on Geography Russian Culture], Rostov-on-Don, 576 p.
2. Druzhinin, А. G., Shuvalov, V. Е. (ed. and comp....
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
... the growing role of tourism and recreation in socioeconomic development and the persisting problem of the national economy’s spatial organisation amidst the absence of a clear-cut regional policy. The authors stress the discrepancy between the distribution ... ... al. 2006, Are Europeancities Becousing Dispersed? A Comparative Analysis of Fifteen European Urban Areas, Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol.77, no. 1—2, p. 111—130.
33. Kosinski, L. 1967, Geografia ludnosc,. Warszawa, p. 280.
34. Kostrowicki, J. 1951,...
Innovative factors and conditions of sustainable development of rural territories
... transformation of organizational and economic mechanism of management relating to the creation of institutional, infrastructure, and spatial conditions. Research and technological cooperation in the Baltic region is emphasised as a priority area.
1. Koncepcija ... ... and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions concerning the European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea, 2009, Action Plan, Brussels, SEC,712/2, available at: http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/russia/documents/eu_russia/action_plan_ru.pdf
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... imagined and experienced, London, 269 p.
8. Moilanen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to brand nations, cities and destinations: A planning book for place branding, London, 188 p.
9. Bazhenov, Yu. N., Nikulchenkov, K. E. 2009, Competitiveness of the Economies ... ....192—198. (in Russ.)
25. Limonov, L. E. (ed.) 2014, Regional'naya ekonomika i prostranstvennoe razvitie [Regional economy and spatial development], T. 1, Moscow, p. 292. (in Russ.)
26. Savinova, O. V. 2014, Regional competition and pessimistic forecasts ...
The Development of New Trans-border Water Routes in the South-East Baltic: Methodology and Practice
... Spiriajevas E. Borderlands of Lithuania and Kaliningrad Region of Russia: Gudelines for Comparative Geographic Approach // Human Resources — the Main Factor of Regional Development. Journal of Social Sciences No. 2. Klaipėda University Regional Policy and Planning Institute. 2010. P. 81—91.
Kropinova E., Anokhin A.
spatial organisation of tourism, water tourism; infrastructure; international cooperation, methodology for evaluating recreational potential, South-East Baltic, innovations in tourism
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... Analiz prostranstvennoj mobil'nosti naselenija Kaliningradskoj oblasti i voprosy migracionnogo regulirovanija [Analysis of the spatial mobility of the population of the Kaliningrad region and the issues of migration control], Region sotrudnichestva [Region ... ... chastej [The population of the Kaliningrad region. Demographic conditions justify territorial complex schemes of urban development planning in the Kaliningrad region and its parts], Kaliningrad.
11. Khrushchev, S. A. 2010, The ethnic aspects of demographic ...