Transboundary spatial planning in the Baltic Sea Region
... трансграничного сотрудничества // Вестник Российского государственного университета им. И
. 2007. №
7. С. 92—97.
Long Term Perspective for the spatial development of the BSR — Proposal for character, structure and overall objective/ Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications. URL: http://www.vasab.org.
European Territorial Research Community ESPON. Linking Territorial Research ...
Spatial Planning in the European Union: Practices to Draw on in Russia
... marine, and underground planning. The article examines the evolution of the ideas of spatial planning in the EU. We consider the documentary framework for spatial planning from the last third of the 20th century to the present. The basic principles of spatial planning are identified in the article. We describe the level of territorial development management in the EU and its member states. The concept of ‘best practices’ is interpreted as an approach that includes the transfer of expert knowledge, concepts, ideas and practices developed in certain conditions and their adaptation ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
... EU standards on the one hand and affected by the activity of such organisations as VASAB and HELCOM, on the other. In this article, we examine basic documents defining the principles and scope of marine planning and analyse recent research works into spatial development. We conclude that marine spatial planning is a principal tool of the EU’s integrated policy. Many European countries of the Baltic region are seeking cooperation with Russia to preserve the natural and economic environment of the Baltic ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
... partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing maritime spatial planning and management are key issues to be solved in transnational cooperation
— Gdansk Declaration. Sixth Conference of Ministers responsible for spatial planning and development in the Baltic Sea Region, Gdansk 19 September 2005.
Long Term Perspective for the Territorial Development of the Baltic Sea Region. Adopted at the 7
Conference of the BSR Ministers responsible for Spatial Planning ...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... of the economy: development, theoretical and practical significance], Izvestija AN SSSR, Ser. Geografija [Izvestiya AN SSSR, Ser. Geography], no. 5, p. 16—28.
8. Litovka, О. P. 1976, Problemy prostranstvennogo razvitija urbanizacii [Problems of spatial development of urbanization], Leningrad, 100 p.
9. Martynov, V. L., Sazonova, I. Е. 2012, The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (11), p. 81—88. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-10....
Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation
... well as different experiences and traditions in the space-time dimension. In most EU countries, ministries of spatial planning were established as early as the 1960s; in the Russian Federation, such authority still does not exist. The coordination of spatial development by the Russian Ministry of Regional Development is of fragmentary nature; therefore, at the moment, the efficiency of spatial planning is rather low. The authors find it necessary to adopt EU practices of urban planning in view of the Russian ...
The Swedish model of spatial planning: Functions, problems, and solutions
... 2009.№ 1. С. 42—45.
11. Территориальное планирование: новые функции, опыт, проблемы, решения : cб. ст. / под ред. А. И. Чистобаева. СПб., 2009.
12. Promoting Spatial Development by Creating COMmon MINdscapes. II. Planning System of Sweden. URL: http://commin.org/upload/Sweden/SE_Planning_System_in_English.pdf (дата обращения: 11.04.2013).
13. Бабынина Л. Страны Северной Европы ...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... element of modern innovative economy], Umnoe proizvodstvo [Smart production], no. 21, available at:http://www.umpro.ru (accessed 15.04.2014).
16. Perelygin, Yu., Knyaginin, V. 2007, Prostranstvennoe razvitie Rossii v dolgosrochnoj perspektive [The spatial development of Russia in the long term], Rossijskoe
Jekspertnoe Obozrenie [Russian Expert Review], no. 1—2 «Rossija: karty budushhego » ["Russia: map of the future"].
17. Pylypenko, I. V. 2003, Analiz osnovnyh zarubezhnyh teorij konkurentosposobnosti ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... Kannen, A., Heinrichs, B. 2011, BaltSeaPlan Report 8 — Towards a common spatial vision: Implications of the international and national policy context for Baltic Sea space and MSP, Geesthacht.
19. Zaucha, Ja., Matczak, M. 2011, BaltSeaPlan Report 10 — Developing a Pilot Maritime Spatial Plan for the Southern Middle Bank, Gdańsk.
20. Käppeler, B., Toben, S. 2012, Grazyna Chmura, Stanislaw Walkowicz, Nico Nolte, Petra Schmidt, Jochen Lamp, Cordula Göke5 and Christian Mohn BaltSea-Plan Report 9 — Developing a Pilot MSOP for ...
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
... 2006, How does trade affect regional disparities? World Development, Vol. 34, no. 7, p. 1201—1222.
42. Rodríguez-Pose, A., Sánchez-Reaza, J. 2005, Economic polarization through trade: trade liberalization and regional inequality in México. In: Spatial Inequality and Development, Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press.
43. Villar, O. 1999, Spatial distribution of production and international trade: a note, Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol. 29, no. 3, p. 371—380.
44. Zhang, X., Zhang, K. 2003, How does globalisation ...
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
... territorial and maritime planning], Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Ser.7 Geologija, geografija [Bulletin of St. Petersburg State University. Ser.7 Geology, Geography], no. 3, p. 153—160.
10. Myakinenkov, V. М. 2013, Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 71—81. DOI:
11.Mosin, O. V. 2011, The main environmental problems of the Baltic Sea and the ways to solve them, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 35—47. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2011-1-5.
The territorial cohesion as the basis for a balanced territorial policy in the Kaliningrad region
The territorial cohesion concept became a key priority of the European spatial development policy due to the growing awareness of the role of geography in ensuring sustainable regional development. The article is focused on the way of adapting this concept to the Kaliningrad region as a foundation for a sustainable spatial development ...
Equivocality in Delineating the Borders of a Cluster: The Baltic’s Case
... focus of regional governance. This article is part of a complex study on equivocality in identifying the boundaries of spatial networking. In this work, we pay particular attention to delineating the boundaries of territorial clusters. This form of spatial networking is both a contemporary tool for targeted regional development and a result of spontaneous functional integration of economic entities. Building on an extensive factual base, we present a complex model of territorial cohesion for delineating the boundaries of a territorial cluster. The model makes it ...
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
... Dedkov, V. P., Fedorov, G. M. 2006, Prostranstvennoye, territorial'noye i landshaftnoye planirovaniye v Kaliningradskoy oblasti [Spatial, territorial and landscape planning in the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 184 p.
5. Dmitriyev, V. V. 2010, Integral'nyye ... .... A., Frolova, A. D., Kozheko, U. R. 2014, Razvitiye metodologii integral'noy otsenki ekologicheskoy tselostnosti geosistem [Development of an integrated methodology for evaluating the environmental integrity of geosystems], Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal prikladnykh ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... Florida R. Towards the learning region. Futures. 1995. № 27(5). P. 527—536.
51. Fombrun C. J. Strategies for network research in organizations // The Academy of Management Review. 1982. № 7(2). P. 280—291.
52. Garofoli G. The Italian model of spatial development in the 1970s and 1980s // Industrial Change and Regional Development / ed. by G. Benko, M. Dunford. L., 1991. P. 85—101.
53. Gereffi G., Humphrey J., Sturgeon T. The governance of global value chains // Review of International Political ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... entrepreneurship research, European Planning Studies, no. 21, p. 1095—1127.
12. Doloreux, D., Dionne, S. 2008, Is regional innovation system development possible in peripheral regions? Evidence from the case of La Pocatiere, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, no. 20, p. 259—283.
13. Gardiner, B., Martin, R. L., Tyler, P. 2013, Spatially unbalanced growth in the British economy. Journal of Economic Geography, 13, p. 889—928.
14. Isaksen, A., Karlsen, J. 2013, Can small regions construct regional advantages? The case of four Norwegian regions. European Urban and Regional ...
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... and international accents], Jekonomika i predprinimatel'stvo
[Economy and business], no. 7 (36), p. 183—187.
28. Kuznetsov, S. V. (ed.), 2013, Prostranstvennoe razvitie jekonomiki makroregiona (na primere Severo-Zapadnogo federal'nogo okruga) [Spatial development of economy of the macroregion (on the example of the Northwest federal district)],
Saint Petersburg, 334 p.
29. Kuznetsov, S. V., Rotenberg, R. B. 2012, Faktory prostranstvennogo razvitija makroregiona Severo-Zapad [Factors of spatial ...
The role of the river Rhine in the formation of spatial structure of the economy of European countries (1st century BC — 19th century AD)
... of the states mentioned. The author applies the historical-descriptive approach and cartographical-geographical modelling to identify the main stages of this process. The author arrives at the following conclusions. The beginning of the formation of spatial structure of economies of the Rhine basin countries dates back to the Roman period of the history of European states rather than the industrial revolution. Similarly, it is possible to assume that primitive integration processes started to develop in the region in the same period. Throughout history, the River Rhine has served as the central axis for economic structure development. The practical significance of the article lies in identifying the early — previously insufficiently studied ...
Territorial community local spaces
... сommunity. The article describes a theoretical approach to studying the formation and transformation of a territorial community. There are different types of proximities within the territorial community: geographic, formative, dominant interaction and development proximities among others. Using clusters as an example the author proves that the formation of unique characteristics of various forms of spatial networking is defined by the essential features of the territorial community underlying them.
1. Балтийский регион как полюс экономической интеграции Российской Федерации и ...
Marine Spatial Planning: Theoretical Aspects
In this article, I consider marine spatial planning (MSP) as a complex of analyses, calculations, and evaluations aimed to prove feasibility of economic activities and contribute to their development in a certain part of a sea or an ocean. A most likely comprehensive MSP object is an integrated segment of coastal/marine area. Consisting of a marine part and a coastal area, such segments are a product of zoning. In this article, I explore ...
Academic Science on the Interdisciplinary Approach to the Analysis and Evaluation of Russian Spatial Development
... пространственного развития Российской Федерации: междисциплинарный синтез : коллективная монография. — М. : Медиа-Пресс, 2013. — 663 с.
[Basic problems of the spatial development of the Russian Federation: An interdisciplinary synthesis : multi-authored monograph. — M. : Media-Press, 2013. — 663 pp.]
On the relation between spatial concepts, strategic and territorial planning in the Russian Federation in the context of the development of the Kaliningrad / Vistula Lagoon region
... стратегического и территориального планирования в российских регионах на Балтике // Балтийский регион. 2014. № 3 (21). С. 71—82.
coastal areas, border areas, spatial development, Kaliningrad/Vistula Lagoon
Methods of spatial scientometrics in the study of countries and region
... The countries of the Baltic region were taken as an example. The empirical base of the research was the international database Scopus and an analytical tool for monitoring and analyzing scientific research — SciVal. On the basis of three methods of spatial scientometrics, the main aspects of the publication activity of selected countries were analyzed. The results of the study showed that scientometrics is an important basis for analyzing the degree of countries and regions scientific potential development, and its methods make it possible to study the dependence of scientific productivity on a specific spatial level, to identify the most relevant and popular research topics and assess international relations between organizations and ...
Border Position as a Factor of Strategic and Territorial Planning in Russian Regions in the Baltic
... other states. The optimisation of spatial organisation of economy, social sphere, and nature management using the tools of spatial planning is fully justified in the case of transborder regions as well as in that of national ones. However, in Russia, spatial (strategic and territorial) planning does not imply joint development of documents with the border regions of neighbouring states. Nevertheless, the border position of a region (at least, due to the presence of border zones) has a significant effect on the content of regional strategies for socioeconomic development ...
A look in the past and the problems of modern mathematical education
This article considers the features of mathematical education in Russia in the 18th-19th centuries. The focal point is the significance of children’s physical activity for the development of spatial perception and mathematical thinking. The author makes recommendations on the development of motivation in schoolchildren for studying mathematics and the use of interdisciplinary approach to developing mathematical thinking and arousing interest ...
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... entities that form clusters of excellence and ensure the competitiveness of the entire system. Identifying the key elements of territorial capital is a global challenge faced by modern regional policy. I analyse the background for, and limits to, the development of a spatially targeted regional development policy. Lithuania’s so-called valleys – integrated centres for research and business — are a possible way to embrace the approach that suggests concentrating resources on breakthrough areas, which makes it ...
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... research on network cooperation is regional integral geoinformation systems (GIS). Modern GIS are successfully used in related fields, such as environmental and climate studies, geology, urban studies, and serve as rather efficient tools of analysing spatial objects and phenomena. One of such systems has been developed and is successfully functioning at the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, which makes it possible to use it in studying network cooperation in the framework of crossborder development with the involvement of Kaliningrad municipalities....
Spatial development of network entrepreneurial structures of the service industry: a methodology for selecting towns for opening new outlets
This article deals with the phenomenon of genesis and development of network forms in entrepreneurship. Special attention is given to the spatial organization of network entrepreneurial structure’s economic activity under the conditions of geographic broadening of the network interaction scope. The author offers methods of town selection in the process of planning and development of network ...
Socio-spatial differentiation in transition: a preliminary comparative analysis of post-soviet St Petersburg and Riga
... methodological approaches. As to the former aspect, recent literature focuses on the hybrid nature of the post-socialist urban space, which underwent transformation in the conditions of globalization and eco-nomic liberalization; the earlier model of spatial development changed dramatically as a result. The multi-scalar and comparative approaches may shed new light on the complex patterns of urban socio-spatial differentiation and its post-Soviet dynamics. Growing regional socio-economic imbalances observed ...
Russian Socio-Economic Geography: Status, Challenges, Perspectives
The socio-economic geography studies the processes, characteristics and patterns of spatial development. In the recent decades, however, this area of scientific investigation has failed its promise, which happened for a number of external and internal reasons. The main external reason is the development of "consumer society", which ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... 03.04.2015). (In Russ.)
4. Open Street Map Project data, available at:
. gis-lab. info (accessed 03 April 2016).
5. Official web site of Administration of St. Petersburg, available at:
(accessed 03 April 2016).
6. Development of capacity of the city of St. Petersburg, available at:
(accessed 03 April 2016) (In Russ.)
7. Chen, Chen，Wang, Fa Hui，Xiu, Chun Liang, 2013, The Relationship Between the Spatial Distribution of Commercial Networks and Street Centrality, Changchun. Economic Geography, Vol. 33, no. 10, p. 40—47.
8. Meng, Yan Chun, Tang, Cang Song, 2015, Study on the Trend of Population Spatial Distribution in Being since the Reform and ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... organisational forms of different phenomena and processes. This article examines the use of the “network” concept in socioeconomic geography through identifying the place of this concept in the system of traditional concepts of this branch of geography: spatial system, territorial production complex, and cluster. The interaction between networks on a certain territory at a certain stage of its development comprises the framework of a region as a complex socioeconomic territorial system. The author examines economic networks as organic systems characterised by resistance to external effects and comprised of interconnected economic agents from ...
Profitability and return on investment in urban areas
Синочкин Д., Иванова Е. Отложенная идентичность // Недвижимость и строительство Петербурга. 2013. № 45 (782).
investment, calculation of return on investment, spatial urban development.
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
... Programme Lithuania — Poland — Russia 2007—2013, available at: http://www.lt-pl-ru.eu/en,1,2 (accessed 11 July 2013).
9. Chekalina, T. V. 2007, Razvitie i prostranstvennaja differenciacija transgranichnogo sotrudnichestva v Baltijskom regione [Development and spatial differentiation of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic region], thesis abstract, Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant State University of Russia.
10. Haggett, P. 1979, Prostranstvennaja diffuzija — put' k slijaniju rajonov. Geografija: sintez sovremennyh ...
Development of technology for publishing very large spatial data volumes using open source systems
The technology of large spatial data volumes pre-processing and publication using different methods to optimize access to the raw data to achieve optimal performance mapping system based on the open source software. The methods for optimizing very large scale spatial data across ...
Rural areas of Eastern Germany: modern challenges
... hinder sustainable development of East German rural areas. We analyse agricultural statistics and describe the structure of agricultural enterprises, land-use, and other critical dimensions of agriculture. We discuss pros and cons of modern rural areas spatial planning policy and take a critical look at the current status of rural areas. We also put forward a number of concrete proposals aimed at the development of the area and counteracting the negative trends it is now experiencing. Even taking into account all ‘positive’ development trends that are postulated to have occurred since the unification, we underline the crucial necessity of diversification ...
Spatial and industrial development
Russian Spatial Development: General Patterns
Regional development and spatial planning
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
... Union, EconPapers: Development and Comp Systems, 0402002.
16. Förster, M., Jesuit, D., Smeeding, T. Regional Poverty and Income Inequality in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence from the Luxembourg Income Study. In: Kanbur, R, Venables, A. J. (eds), Spatial Inequality and Development, Oxford University Press, 2005.
17. Paas, T., Kuusk, A., Schlitte, F. 2004, Modelling Regional Income Convergence in EU-25, University of Tartu, available at: http://www.ecomod.org/files/papers/1388.pdf (accessed 21 June 2011).
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
.... The study calls for better coordination between different areas of the federal socio-economic policy on border regions and closer attention to border regions’ foreign economic ties, particularly, within the implementation of the Strategy for the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation.
Kuznetsov A. V., Kuznetsova О. V.
border regions, coastal regions, regional policy, EU, Russia, Euroregions, cross-border cooperation, spatial development strategy
Platform Markets: Their Place in the Theory of Mesoeconomic System: Development and a Challenge to Spatial Studies
Over the past three decades, researchers across different disciplines have paid close attention to the development of platform markets — an emergent long-term trend in economic policy. I consider platform markets as institutional ... ... markets, platform economy, network effects, cluster, conglomerate, local economic zone, mesoeconomic system, agglomeration, spatial economics
Development of electric road transport: simulation modelling
... specific geographical location, is a convenient test-bed for developing simulation models of a regional scale. The proposed simulation model was built via the AnyLogic software. The authors explored the capacity of the model, its assumptions, further development and application. The proposed approach to demand forecasting can be further applied for building hybrid models that include elements of agent modelling and spatial optimization.
Katalevsky, D. Yu., Gareev, T. R.
simulation modelling, system dynamics, electric transport, electric vehicles, charging stations infrastructure, region, demand forecasting, demand stimulation, Bass model, AnyLogic
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... [Organizational and economic forms of international scientific and technical cooperation], JL, A. A. Zhdanov Leningrad State University.
7. Vasin, V. А., Mindeli, L. E. 2011, Prostranstvennye aspekty formirovanija i razvitija nacional'noj innovacionnoj sistemy [Spatial aspects of the formation and development of the national innovation system], Innovacii [Innovations], no. 11 (157), p. 24—34.
8. Voloshenko, K.Yu. 2012, The methodological bases of comparative evaluation of scientific and technological potential of Russia and the EU: regional ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... the prerequisites of their formation. The methodological framework of the research is an integrated case study. The article considers the processes of transboundary and transnational regionalisation in the countries of the Baltic region aimed at the development of international clusters. ‘International cluster’ is defined as a new form of spatial economy. The author identifies and maps organised international clusters and cluster initiatives in the Baltic Sea region countries. The international clusters of the Baltic region are characterised according to the following criteria: the degree ...
Framework for the Analysis of Geography of Transnational Corporations Investments Abroad
... R., Watts, H. D. 1983, The Geography of Enterprise: A Reappraisal, Progress in Human Geography, Vol. 7, no. 2, p. 157—181.
18. Håkanson, L. 1979. Towards a Theory of Location and Corporate Growth. In: Hamilton, F. E. I., Linge, G. J. R. (eds.), Spatial analysis, industry and the industrial environment, Chichester — N. Y., p. 115—138.
19. Johanson, J., Vahlne, J.-E. 1977, The Internationalization Process of the Firm — A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 8, no. 1, p. 23—32.
20. Krumme, G. 1969, Toward a Geography of Enterprise, Economic Geography, Vol. 45, no. 1, p. 30—40.
21. Kuznetsov, A. V., ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
... Cultural Change, Cambridge, MA, Blackwell, 230 p.
32. Janelle, D., Gillespie, A. 2004, Space — time constructs for linking information and communication technologies with issues in sustainable transportation, TTRV372, p.665 -677, available at: www.spatial.ucsb.edu (accessed 01.04.2015).
33. Morgan, K. 2001, The Exaggerated Death of Geography: Localised Learning, Innovation and Uneven Development, Paper presented to The Future of Innovation Studies Conference, Eindhoven Univ. of Technology, 20—23 September 2001, available at: http://www.utoronto.ca/onris/research_review/WorkingPapers/WorkingDOCS/Working01/Morgan01_Death.pdf (accessed ...
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
... Anohin, A. A. 2003, Osobennosti globalizacii i regionalizacii v sovremennom mire, Regional'naya ehkologiya, no. 3—4, p. 15—22.
2. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Population Division, 2016, available at: http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/migration/ data/estimates2/estimates15.shtml (accessed 16 January 2016).
3. Zhitin, D. V. 2012, Prostranstvennaya neodnorodnost' migracionnogo dvizheniya Rossii v 1991—2010 gg. [Spatial heterogeneity of Russian migration movement in 1991—2010 gg.], Vestnik S.-Peterb. Un-ta. Ser. 7 [Bulletin of St. Petersburg. Univ.], no. 4, p. 135—145.
4. Kamkin, A. K. 2013, Demograficheskie processy, migraciya i rynok truda v Zapadnoj Evrope ...
Geography of European Migration
... Rossijskoj Federacii i stranah Zapada [Immigration policy in the Russian Federation and the countries of the West], Moscow, 314 p.
7. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Population Division, 2016, available at:
migration/data/estimates2/estimates15.shtml (accessed 16 January 2016).
8. Zhitin, D. V. 2012, Prostranstvennaya neodnorodnost' migracionnogo dvizheniya Rossii v 1991—2010 gg. [Spatial heterogeneity of Russian migration movement in 1991—2010 gg.], Bulletin of St. Petersburg. Univ, Ser. 7, no. 4, p. 135—145.
9. Ivanov, K. P. 1998, Problemy ehtnicheskoj geografii [Ethnic geography Problems], St. Petersburg, 216 p.