Cultural types and the perception of current environmental risks by local communities of the Baltic Sea region
This work presents findings from research into the relationship between the structural organisation and cultural attitudes of local communities in the Baltic Sea region and the way they perceive environmental risks. The response of the Kaliningrad community to the development of a local potassium and magnesium salt mine is used as an illustration. The article deals with how local ...
Territorial Framework for Local Community Organization
In this article, we analyse the concept of ‘local community’, its distinctive features, and its role and place in socio-geographical studies. We stress the connection between local communities and the area where community members reside and go through everyday routines. Processes characteristic of local communities include territory socialization, residents’ self-identification, selfregulation, and taking over administrative functions....
Effective risk communication as a factor in managing protests attitudes in a local community
... environmental risks suffers from poor knowledge of risk communication in the local community and of how different ways of risk communication affect protest attitudes. This study aims to clarify communication strategies and practices used by members of local communities as a protest response to environmental threats. The work builds on the cultural theory developed by Douglas, Dake, Bremen, and others. This theory distinguishes between several cultural types (hierarchism, individualism, communitarianism, ...
Resilience of cultural attitudes of local communities to risks: the «group / grid» model
The study focuses on the empirical test of the grid/group model applied to the actual perception of the environmental risks by the local community (the case of the potassium mine development in the village of Nivenskoe, the Kaliningrad region). It tests to what extent the structure of the theoretically constructed cultural types (hierarchist, egalitarian, individualist, fatalist) ...
Territorial community local spaces
... Географический вестник. 2006. № 1. С. 4—13.
16. Boschma R. Proximity and innovation: A critical assessment // Regional Studies. 2005. № 39. P. 61—74.
17. Brusco S. Small firms and the provision of real services // Industrial districts and local economic regeneration. Geneva, 1992. P. 177—96.
18. Korotka M. A. Proximity factors influencing academics’ decisions to cooperate with industrial organizations // Regional Studies. 2015. № 2 (1). P. 415—423.
19. Porter M. E. On competition....
Informal educational practices in the local communities of a metropolis: The untapped potential for a dialogue between generations
... innovations in the Rus-sian system of lifelong learning, the author justifies the viability of one the vectors of development of nonformal education. The article stresses the consol-idating potential of nonformal mixed-age education at the level of local com-munities of a modern metropolis. The author emphasises the need to support their development to promote cultural continuity and create conditions for the personal development of different generations.
1. Илакавичус М. Р. Неформальное ...
Monotowns: A New Take on the Old Problem
... Institutional Economics], Moscow, 880 p.
31. Agrawal, A., Cockburn, L., Rosell, C. 2010, Not invited here? Innovation in company towns, Journal of Urban Economics, Vol. 67, no. 1. p. 78—89.
32. Barnes, T. J., Hayter, R. 1994, Economic Restructuring, Local Development and Resource Towns: Forest Communities in Coastal British Columbia, The Canadian Journal of Regional Science, Vol.17. no. 3, p. 289—310.
33. Mawhiney, A.-M., Pitblado, J., 1999, Boom town blues — Elliot Lake: Collapse and revival in a single-industry community, Dundurn press,...
Local Border Traffic as a Form of Visa Liberalisation and Territorial Development
... Kaliningrad region, Germany, Poland, and Lithuania. In their analysis, the authors rely mostly on primary sources: intergovernmental agreements on simplified border traffic, border-crossing statistics for the Kaliningrad region in the framework of the local border traffic, expert interviews, and related analytic reports. Specifically, local border traffic is viewed as the most effective form of interaction in the field of visa regime simplification and border territory development. An assessment of ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... a classification of spatial networks, identifies and describes types of spatial boundaries of different types of territorial communities: geographic, organizational, cognitive, cultural, institutional, social and technological. The complex of factors ... ... Harvard Business Review. 2006. № 84. P. 98—110.
33. Amin A., Thrift N. Globalization, institutional ’thickness’ and the local economy // Managing Cities: The New Urban Context / ed. by P. Healey, S. Cameron, S. Davoudi [et al.]. Chichester, 1995....
Cultural Islam in Northern Europe
... in Northern European countries. To this end, we examine publications in major print media. Content analysis of relevant publications gives a detailed picture of narratives produced in mass consciousness as a reaction to the presence of Islam at the local and regional level and makes it possible to identify individual trends in the evaluation of such narratives in both scientific and popular analytical literature. The growing secularization of Islamic communities in Northern Europe and changes in the value-driven behavioural algorithms of believers lead both to the polarization of Islam and changes in attitudes to Islam from outside the religion. Studies into the factors affecting the dynamics of this ...
The facilitation of freedom of movement between Russia and the European Union: prospects and legal issues
... the legal aspects of the prospective visa free regime between Russia and the European Union,as well as the implementation of local border traffic mechanisms.
1. Treaty on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version, 2008, Official Journal,... ... Russian Federation of 27.08.2002, the Address of President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of the Commission of the European Communities and the heads of the EU member states], Izdanie
Ministerstva inostrannyh del Rossijskoj Federacii [Publication of ...
Social study of psychoavtive substance abuse in the Baltic region state: The Russian component of the international study
... abuse in youth in the town of Bagrationovsk, including risks associated with substance abuse, the influence of family and social environment, and the attitudes of young people to the substance abuse problem. The data obtained can be used as a tool for local specialstis and policymakers active in the field of substance abuse prevention in youth in the process of preventive work at the local level.
1. Ахметова О. А., Слободская Е. Р. Употребление психоактивных ...
The experience of the application of regional approach to the governance of the Caucasian region of the Russian Empire in the beginning of the 19th century
The management of Kavkaz was the interaction of administration and local community of region in XVIII century. The author characterizes Kavkaz as being original in regards to the ethnic attitude towards the state’s territory, to the degree of the center keeping the properties of the governmental-regional and local ...
Between profession and public engagement: Evolution of the public history movement in America
... Turrentine Jackson // The Public Historian. 1998. № 1. P. 20—48.
50. Weyeneth R. R. The Architecture of Racial Segregation: The Challenges of Preserving the Problematical Past // Ibid. 2005. № 4. P. 11—44.
51. Williams J. A. Public History and Local History: An Introduction // Ibid. 1983. № 4. P. 7—16.
52. Young A. F. Revolution in Boston? Eight Propositions for Public History on the Freedom Trail // Ibid. 2003. № 2. P. 17—41.
public history, NCHP, engaged history, historiography,...
Cross-border Tourism in the Russian Northwest: General Trends and Features of Development
... cooperation between Polandand THE Kaliningradoblast ofthe Russian Federation // Quaestiones geographicae, 2010.29(4). P. 75—82.
21. Regulation (EC) No 1931/2006 of the EuropeanParliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 laying down rules on local border traffic at the externallandbordersoftheMemberStatesand amending the provisions of the Schengen Convention,
Official Journal of the European Union L 405, 12-30-2006. URL: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:405:0001:0022:EN:PDF....
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
... sotrudnichestva. 1950—80-e gody (na materialakh Kaliningradskoi oblasti, Ol'shtynskogo i El'blongskogo voevodstv) [Participation of local party and socio-political organizations in the development of Soviet-Polish cross-border cooperation. 1950—80-ies (on ... ....ru/news/polit/361416.html
(accessed 19.01.2017). (In Russ.)
18. Coherence with the policies and objectives of the European Communities, Lithuania-Poland-Russia ENPI Cross-border Cooperation Programme 2007—2013, available at:
Discursive practices of the Russian diaspora in Estonia: language contacts
....), semantic (referential shifts, semantically re-oriented vocabulary, etc.), and pragmatic features. The results of the diasporic speech analysis show that the key components of a typical diasporic discourse are the following ones: spatial-temporal localization (space: Estonia — Russia —the West relations; significant locations, space in the past and today (the empire, the Republic of Estonia, the Soviet Union); information space; time: historical periods, dates, holidays; time in information ...
Shore ground monitoring methodology
... whole or its individual forms. The choice of marker depends on the purpose of the study. The disadvantage of this method is the local nature of the works while its accuracy, objectivity and comparability create a certain advantage.
1. Басс О. В.... ... Spit (the Baltic sea) in a period of 2002—2015 by results of in-situ measurements // Managing risks to coastal regions and communities in a changing world : Proc. Intern. сonf. EMECS'11-SeaCoasts XXVI (Saint-Petersburg, 22—27 August, 2016). Saint-Petersburg,...
Polish-Russian Small Border Traffic in the Context of Russia-EU Relations
... observed over the last several years.
1. Agreement on partnership and cooperation establishing a partnership between the European Communities and their Member States, of one part, and the Russian Federation, of the other part. URL: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.... ....2012).
10. Regulation (EC) No 1931/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 laying down rules on local border traffic at the external land borders of the Member States and amending the provisions of the Schengen Convention....
Geography of inbound tourism and transboundary tourism-and-recreation region-building in Sweden
10. Lindström, K. N., Larson, M. 2016, Community-based tourism in practice: evidence from three coastal communities in Bohuslän, Sweden, Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, no. 33, p. 71–78. doi: 10.1515/bog-2016-0025.... ... no. 71, p. 1—12. doi: 10.1016/j.annals.2018.02.006.
12. Lundberg, E. 2017, The importance of tourism impacts for different local resident groups: A case study of a Swedish seaside destination, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, vol. 6, no....
Geography and economy of the Kaliningrad region: limitations and prospects of development
... interviews, and surveys run contrary to this viewpoint. A look at the key indices of the Kaliningrad region and the neighbouring communities of Poland and Lithuania showed that both socioeconomic situation and standards of living are comparable in these areas,... ... http://db1.stat.gov.lt/statbank/SelectTable/omrade0.asp?SubjectCode=S3&PLanguage=1&ShowNews=OFF (accessed 16 August 2013).
2. Local Data Bank, 2013, Central Statistical Office of Poland, available at: http://www.stat.gov.pl/bdlen/app/dane_podgrup.hier?...
The transnational territorial transport system of the Baltic Region
... this respect, we clarify some terms used in transport geography. For the first time the transport system gets territorially localized, which allows for a broad range of new studies of transnational transportation in the Baltic Sea area. We also identify ... ... January 2009).
7. European Commission Panorama of Transport, 2009, Luxembourg, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 185 pp.
8. Towards an integrated Baltic Sea Region: Cities and Regions as drivers for spatial development and integration,...
The moving boundaries of news translation
Perrin, D., Ehrensberger-Dow, M. and Zampa, M., 2017. Translation in the Newsroom: Losing Voices in Multilingual Newsflows. Journal of Applied Journalism and Media Studies, 6(3), pp. 463—483. 10.1386/ajms.6.3.463_1.
Pym, A., 2004. The Moving Text: Localization, Translation and Distribution. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Pym, A. and Matsushita, K., 2018. Risk Mitigation in Translator Decisions. Across Languages and Cultures, 19(1), pp. 1—18. 10.1556/084.2018.19.1.1.
Quandt, T. and Singer, J.B., 2009....
An environmental analysis of the red-backed shrike’s and barred warbler’s nutrition in the conditions of sympatric habitation in natural and anthropogenic stations
... substantially. The taxonomic composition of the birds’ diet is largely determined by the structure of the insect fauna of foraging microstations, thus, the identified plasticity of both species’ nutrition makes it possible for the birds to adjust to the local conditions, which, in its turn, optimises foraging and contributes to a decrease in competitive pressure in each community. The main dietary differences between these species lie in the foraging tactics: ambushing in the red-backed shrike and searching ...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
... new level in terms of tourist product presentation and increase of competitiveness. The sources for innovations in tourism are both the providers and consumers of tourist services. In those regions wh ere tourism is considered an economic priority, local authorities and even super-governmental organisations, such as the European Commission (through different co-financing programmes), can also become innovators.
1. Angelova, O. Yu., Dmitrieva, E. M. 2012, Innovacionnye napravlenija razvitija turistskih ...
Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region
... Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region, which is manifested in a series of partner agreements and contracts. The local border traffic agreement between the Kaliningrad region and selected areas of the Republic of Poland should give an additional ... ... territorial'nyh soobshhestv i vlastej [European Outline Convention on Transfrontier with the cooperation of the territorial communities and authorities], 1980, Madrid, May 21, available at: http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/rus/Treaties/Html/106.htm ...
Historical memory in the age of globalization: the case of Russian- Estonian relations
... other hand, globalization attaches international significance to historical events that were earlier considered as being of local importance. The author proves the latter statement through comparing Russian and Estonian discourses on the relationship ... ... article.
1. Anderson, B. 2001, Voobrazhaemye soobwestva: razmyshlenija ob istokah i rasprostranenii nacionalizma [Imagined Communities: Reflections on the origins and spread of nationalism], Мoscow.
2. Astrov, А. 2009, Etonia: politicheskaja bor'ba ...
Measuring social well-being in the rural areas of the Kaliningrad region
... organizacii mestnogo samoupravlenija v Ros-sijskoj Federacii» [Federal Law of 06.10.2003 № 131-FZ
«On General Principles of Local Self-Government in the Russian Federation»].
2. Zakon Kaliningradskoj oblasti ot 01.07.2009 g. № 370 «O sostave territorij ... ... to…, 2004, available at: sei. se. relu (accessed 09.12.2013).
22. Social isolation experienced by older people in rural communities, 2012,
available at: www.defra.gov.uk (accessed 09.12.2013).
23. Spelleoberg, A., Huschka, D., Habich, R. 2006,...
The Development of Russian Social Geography: Challenges, Trends, Priorities
... about the importance and the strategies of further integration within the community of social geography researchers, and points out the directions of future research: fundamental issues of Russian spatial planning, Russian positioning in both global and local (Eurasian) contexts.
1. Sushhiy, S. Ya., 1994, Ocherki geografii russkoj kul'tury [Essays on Geography Russian Culture], Rostov-on-Don, 576 p.
2. Druzhinin, А. G., Shuvalov, V. Е. (ed. and comp.), 2010, Teorija social'nojekonomicheskoj geografii: ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
... demographic approaches. There is also a difference in the proportion of migrants by country, although settlement systems are very similar. Even with decades spent in the destination country, the Muslim population remains poorly integrated into the local community and its effect on the latter is insignificant (Turks in Germany). The demographic mosaic of the European Union is becoming increasingly fragmented, which makes any national level demographic forecasts inconsequential. However, community-level ...
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... numerous expert interviews of migration officials.The article analyses written queries to regional ministries on the assessment of local recruiting needs and the opportunities for the arrival and adaptation of compatriots. The authors discuss migration and ... ...?id_4= 1905#top (accessed: 10.02.2014).
8. Zayka, K. 2009, Diasporicheskie i immigrantskie soobshhestva [Diasporic and immigrant communities], Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 10, p. 74—80....
On the prospects of cooperation between Russian and Lithuanian innovative sectors
... management of investment portfolio. Vilnius.
39. Mačiulaitis, R. (et al.). 2007. Low porosity building ceramics produced from local technogenic raw materials. Vilnius, Technika.
40. Lupeikis, K. 2007. Minimal power. Vilnius.
41. Baltrėnas, P. (et ... ...
47. Olenin, S. (et al.). 2010. Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Task Group 2 Report. Non-indigenous species. Luxembourg, Communities.
48. Olenin, S. (et al.). 2010. Pathways of Aquatic Invasions in Europe. In: Atlas of Biodiversity Risk. Sofia, ...
A Königsberg society of friends without Kant
... Kant’s friends have been known since the times of his first biographers and other contemporaries. However, there were other communities of friends in Königsberg. Gathering friends at a dining table for the purpose of intellectual communication became ... ... featured in the Lebensläufe — with the picture of Emil Doertsling showing a dinner party held by Kant, which brought together local celebrities, among whom Kant’s friend Hippel is depicted in the foreground. A copy of this picture is exhibited in Kant’s ...
Work-life balance during the Covid-19 outbreak: the case of Latvia
14. Zhang Y., Ma F. Z. Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Mental Health and Quality of Life among Local Residents in Liaoning Province, China: A Cross-Sectional Study // Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2020 Vol. 17, № ... ... Cardiovascular Journal. 2020.
29. Kaša R., Mieriņa I. (eds.). The Emigrant Communities of Latvia. National Identity, Transnational Belonging, and Diaspora Politics. Springer, 2019.