The facilitation of freedom of movement between Russia and the European Union: prospects and legal issues
This article examines the legal aspects of the prospective visa free regime between Russia and the European Union,as well as the implementation of local border traffic mechanisms.
1. Treaty on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version, 2008, Official Journal, 9 May, p. 115.
2. Council Regulation (EC) N 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement, 2001, Ibid, 21 May, p. 1—7.
3. Soobwenie press-sluzhby prezidenta RF ot 27.08.2002 g. o poslanijah prezidenta Rossii V. V. Putina predsedatelju Komissii Evropejskih soob-westv i glavam gosudarstvchlenov
Evrosojuza [The press service of the President of the Russian Federation of 27.08.2002, the Address of President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of the Commission of the European Communities and the heads of the EU member states], Izdanie
Ministerstva inostrannyh del Rossijskoj Federacii [Publication of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation], available at: http://www. academy-go.ru/Site/RussiaEC/News/Putin. shtml (accessed 11 April 2005).
4. Sovmestnoe zajavlenie glav gosudarstv Rossii i stran ES na sammite Rossija — ES, 31.05.2003 [Statement by the Russian and EU-Russia summit — EU 05/31/2003], available at: http://www.eur.ru/neweur/user.php?func=sum7 (accessed 11 April 2005).
5. Road Map on common space of freedom, security and justice, available at: http://eeas. europa. eu/delegations/russia/documents/eu_russia/road_maps_en.pdf (accessed 19 August 2010).
6. Rossija i Evrosojuz nachnut reshat' problemy bezvizovogo rezhima [Russia and the EU will solve the problems of a visa-free regime], Rosbalt, 2010, 31 May, available at: http://www.rosbalt.ru/2010/05/31/741009.html (accessed 20 May 2011).
visa requirements for mutual travels of citizens of the Russian Federation and citizens of the State of Israe], Pravoslavnyj poklonnik na Svjatoj Zemle [Orthodox worshiper in the Holy Land], available at: http://palomnic. org/ao/viza/4/ (accessed
19 August 2010).
8. European Commission proposes to waive the short-term visa requirement for the citizens of Albania and Bosnia and Herzegovina, Delegation of the European Union to Bosnia and Herzegovina and European Union Special Representative, available
at: http://www.delbih.ec.europa.eu/files/docs/reports/41.10%20MEMO-Visa%20 liberalisation%
20Albania% 20and%20BiH. pdf (accessed 29 September 2010).
9. Regulation (EC) N 1931/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 December 2006 laying down rules on local border traffic at the external land borders of the Member States and amending the provisions of the Schengen Convention,
2006, Official Journal, L 405, 30 Dec.
10. Soglashenie ot 18.09.2007 goda mezhdu Kabinetom ministrov Ukrainy i Pravitel'stvom Vengrii o pravilah mestnogo pogranichnogo dvizhenija [Agreement of 18.09.2007 between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of
Hungary to the rules of the local border traffic], Vseukrainskij juridicheskij portal [All-Ukrainian Legal Portal], available at: http://jurconsult.net.ua/zakony/zakon_show. php?zakon_id=2327&dbname= laws_rus_2007 (accessed 19 June 2008).
11. Agreement between the Government of the Kingdom of Norway and the Government of the Russian Federation on Facilitation of Mutual Travel for Border Residents of the Kingdom of Norway and the Russian Federation, available at:
http://www. regjeringen. no/upload/JD/Vedlegg/Grenseboeravtale_ENG. pdf (accessed 19 January 2011).
12. Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council of 24 July 2009 on the implementation and functioning of the local border traffic regime introduced by Regulation (EC) N 1931/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council laying down rules on local border traffic at the external land
borders of the Member States, available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu (accessed 10 March 2010).