Territorial differences in the attitudes to the migration crisis in Germany: The political aspect
The European migration crisis has divided the population of Germany along the lines of the country’s migration policy and the attitude to immigrants. The antiimmigrant sentiment, supported by the rhetoric of the extreme right-wing parties and the criticism of current policies, have been growing in the society. This article reviews theoretical approaches to the study of public attitude to ...
Geography of European Migration
... twenty-five years. The authors identify the main trends in migration, provide migration profiles of European countries, and propose a classification based on the recent changes in the migrant stock. Changes in the migrant stock (total emigration and immigration) reflect the level of involvement in international and global processes. They can serve as an indicator of a country’s attractiveness for both foreigners and the country’s citizens. The study shows that European countries are increasingly ...
Legal aspects of the EU policy on irregular immigration
This article addresses the issues pertaining to the adoption and development of legislation on irregular migration in the context of uncontrolled growth in the number of immigrants from North Africa and the Middle East to the EU. The article attempts at studying the EU legislation on irregular migration, classifying it, and analysing the prospects of EU migration legislation in the light of an increase in irregular immigration ...
Ethno-confessional immigrant ghettos as a national security problem in Denmark’s social and political discourse
The ghettoisation of immigrant areas in Denmark is a lengthy and objective process of the emergence of ethno-religious ‘parallel societies’ in the state. Cultural and religious principles that are often at odds with the democratic values of Danish society guide the actions ...
Islamic Diffusion in the Baltics: The Fruit of European Multiculturalism
... considers Western Europe as a principal centre that has been attracting migrants over recent decades, primarily, in the aftermath of the Arab Spring. The Baltic region states are chosen for demonstration. Although they have different proportions of Muslim immigrants, Muslim diasporas are the most numerous and rapidly growing ones in the Baltics. Undoubtedly, Muslim communities across the region enjoy certain similarities. The differences they have are explained, among other factors, by national policies ...
The Legal Regulation of the EU Immigrant Integration Policy
In this article, I consider the legal aspects of the EU policy on the integration of immigrants into the host society. The current EU basic law does not give the Union the power to issue legislative acts aimed at harmonizing national rules for the integration of immigrants. However, in the aftermath of the migrant crisis in Europe, this ...
The Chinese Diaspora in the EU Countries
... ethnic ‘diffusion’ in European countries. The debate started on the pages of the Baltic Region journal by three authors — Yu. N. Gladky, I. Yu. Gladky, and K. Yu. Eidemiller . We assume that Europe has been a major centre of attraction for immigrants in recent decades and a site for the rapid emergence of ethnic communities. Unlike Muslim immigration, a product of the Arab Spring and often a measure of last resort, Chinese immigration is a result of a certain convergence between the ideologies ...
Migration Flows in Europe: Space and Time Transformation
... ehkonomicheskij krizis i nekotorye voprosy teorii migracii [Europe, economic crisis and some problems of migration theory], 2012, Aktual'nye problemy Evropy [Actual problems of Europe], no. 4 p. 10—38.
10. Ponedelko, G. N. 2015, Immigraciya v Ispanii [Immigration in Spain], Mirovaya ehkonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 80—92.
11. Sebrian, H. A., Roman, H. M., Lopes, A. M. 2014, Zapadno-Sredizemnomorskij trafik v Evropu (na primere Ispanii) ...
Supranational Policy of Migrant Integration in the EU
... third country nationals in the European Union and its major aspects and mechanisms. On the basis of statistical data and with the help of correlation analysis, the author identifies the key factors affecting a country’s approach to the integration of immigrants. These factors were used in conducting a cluster analysis, which made it possible to identify four groups of countries. The study showed that, despite the large-scale and positive EU policy, due to differences in the socioeconomic and demographic ...
From the Mediterranean to the Baltic: the problem of implementing the principle of solidarity in the EU area of immigration and asylum
... Union. Although the crisis is past its peak, it is not over yet: problems and challenges associated with it persist. One of them is the lack of a common approach among member states to the implementation of the principle of solidarity in the EU area of immigration and asylum. This work aims to consider the legal and political aspects of the implementation of the principle of solidarity and fair sharing of responsibility in the area of immigration and asylum. This study relies on the works of Russian ...
Cultural Islam in Northern Europe
... and national programmes for international partnership. The forces promoting the cultural Islam project position it as an antidote for political and radical Islam. At the same time, the main factor preventing the legitimation of cultural Islam across immigrant Moslem groups (or, more precisely, communities, i.e. associations of people originating from countries where Muslims predominate) is the relevant isolatedness of those groups and their commitment to the Ummah. The novelty of research into how ...
The externalisation of migration control in the European Union: first steps towards the external dimension of the space of freedom, security and justice
... Upravlencheskoe konsul'tirovanie [Management consulting], no. 3, p. 46—50.
2. Bigo, D. 1996, Polices en réseaux. L’expérience européenne. Paris, Presses de Sciences Po.
3. Lavenex, S. 2006, Shifting up and out: the foreign policy of European immigration control, West European Politics, vol. 29, no. 2, p. 329—350.
4. Guild, E., Bigo, D. 2003, Le visa Schengen: expression d’une stratégie de «police» à distance, Cultures & Conflits, no. 49, p. 22—37.
5. Icard, P. 2003, Immigration,...
The Mission of the Russian Immigration
Impact of external migration on changes in the Swedish religious landscape
For most of its history, Sweden has been a country dominated by the Lutheran Church, having the status of the official state religion. Starting in mid-to-late 20th century, mass immigration to Europe had a considerable impact on the confessional structure of Sweden’s population. The growing number of refugees from the Balkan Peninsula, the Middle East, and Africa has turned Sweden into a multi-religious state. Sweden has become ...
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... sootechestvennikov [Return compatriots], Russian Council on Foreign Affairs, available at: http://russiancouncil.ru/inner/index.php?id_4= 1905#top (accessed: 10.02.2014).
8. Zayka, K. 2009, Diasporicheskie i immigrantskie soobshhestva [Diasporic and immigrant communities], Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 10, p. 74—80.
9. Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. 2008, Novaja migracionnaja politika Rossii: vpechatljajushhie itogi i novye problemy [New ...
Ideology of English monolingualism as the basis of the US language policy
... Language Policy and Compensatory Opinion // Power and Inequality in Language Education. Cambridge, 1995.
5. Epstein N. Language, Ethnicity, and the Schools: Policy Alternatives for Bilingual Education. Washington, 1977.
6. Kloss H. Language Rights of Immigrant Groups // International Migration Review. 1971. № 5. P. 250—268.
7. Tatalovich R. Nativism Reborn? The Official English Language Movement and the America States. Lexington, 1995.
8. Tollefson J. Planning Language, Planning Inequality: ...
Impact of remigration on the worksphere under Covid-19: the case of Lithuania
... Social Remittances? Exploring How Polish Return Migrants Cope with Difficult Employment Conditions, Central and Eastern European Migration Review, vol. 5, no. 2, p. 21—39.
20. Sandu, D. 2016, Remittances as Home Orientation Rooted in the Lifeworlds of Immigrants, Central and Eastern European Migration Review, vol. 5, no. 2, p. 81—98.
21. Čiubrinskas, V. 2018, Returning with Resources: Social Remittances and the uncertain belonging of transatlantic remigrants. In: Hornstein-Tomic, C., Pichler, R....
Echelon lists as a source for the database of immigrants to the Kaliningrad region in 1946 (the case of the Pravdinsky district)
The authors analysed the lists of immigrants to the Pravdinsky district in 1946, which are stored in the State Archive of the Kaliningrad Region. The article describes the main features of compiling echelon lists of immigrants and receiving echelons from Russia and Belarus. The authorsstudied ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
... 2015, After the Demographic Transition: Divergence, Convergence or Diversity? Obshchestvennye nauki i sovremennost' [Social Sciences and Modernity], no. 2, p. 112—129. (In Russ.)
5. Voinikov, V. 2015, Legal aspects of the EU policy on irregular immigration, Balt. Reg., no. 4, p. 55—65. DOI: 10/5922/2079—8555—2015—4—4.
6. Greenberg, R. S. 2012, The crisis of European integration: the award before sunset? Mir peremen [World change], no. 4, available at:
The state repatriation programme: four years later
... Chislennost' i migracija naselenija Rossijskoj Federacii v 2009 godu: statisticheskij bjulleten'. 2010. Moscow, p. 34.
Programme of voluntary repatriation, repatriates, migrants, labour potential, migration potential, migration policy, immigration of compatriots, demographic structure, migration attraction
The evaluation of perspectives of labour supply in the Kaliningrad region
Limited reproduction of labour supply in the Kaliningrad region, determined by demographic situation, causes the necessity to attract
more immigrants and requires innovative development of economics.
ежегодник: 2007 / Территориальный орган Федеральной службы госстатистики по Калининградской ...
Contacts with Diasporas and Diaspora Organisations as a Key to a Successful Migrant Integration Policy in the EU
... focusing on migrant integration in both the EU states and the countries of origin. Special emphasis is placed on the role of diasporas and the efforts taken by the EU to involve them in the integration process. We stress the need for a new supranational EU immigration and integration policy, in view of new migration trends and the so-called migrant crisis. The study shows that the EU integration policy is directed towards both migrants and host countries and the countries of origin. Since the early 2010s,...
The development of a 1946 draft decree of the USSR Council of Ministers on populating the agricultural areas of the Kaliningrad region
... обращения: 09.02.2013).
13. Зима В. Ф. Голод в СССР 1946—1947 годов: происхождение и последствия. М., 1996.
Kaliningrad region, USSR Council of Ministers, RSFSR Council of Ministers, immigration policy, agriculture, 1946
The revision of avifauna in the south-eastern Baltic (within the borders of the Kaliningrad region)
This article compares the structure of avifauna within the present-day borders of the Kaliningrad region over the period from the end of 19th century to 2010. The author argues that the species turnover in nesting birds has accelerated and that immigration exceeds local mortality. The unification of regional avifauna is a part of the general process of biosphere homogenisation.
А., Архипов В.
Список птиц Российской ...
International cross-border migration in the South-East Baltic: factors, structure, consequences
... Territorial division. As of December 31, 2009 // Central Statistical Office. Warszawa, 2010. [online] Available at: <http://www.stat.gov.pl> (Accessed 10 Oktober 2010).
migration, region, migration policy, emigration, immigration, labour market, globalisation
The Baltic-Pontic region in the Europe-Eurasia dual system
... of Russia.
12. Savitsky, P. N. 1991, Geograficheskie i geopoliticheskie osnovy evrazijstva [Geographical and geopolitical foundations of Eurasianism]. In: Evrazija. Istoricheskie vzgljady russkih jemigrantov [Eurasia. Historical views of the Russian immigrants], Moscow.
13. Trubachev, O. N. 1991, Jetnogenez i kul'tura drevnejshih slavjan [Ethnogenesis and the culture of the ancient Slavs], Moscow, Nauka.
14. Tsymbursky, V. L. 2007, Ostrov Rossija. Geopoliticheskie i hronopoliticheskie raboty. 1993—2007 ...
The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states
... naselenija Pribaltiki (Jestonii, Latvii, Litvy, Kaliningradskoj oblasti Rossii) v XIX—XX vv. (1795—2000 gody). Moskow.
14. Smith, G. 2005. Latvia and Latvians // The Nationalities Question in the Post-Soviet States. London, pp. 147—169.
15. Immigrant Population in Estonia. 2009. Tallinn.
16. Latvijas Statistika. [online] Available at: <http://www.csb.gov.lv>
(Accessed 25 Oktober 2010).
17. Nacional'nyj sostav naselenija RSFSR po dannym VPN 1989 goda. 1990.Moskow.
18. Lietuvos Statistikos ...
The sociolinguistic aspects of Russian-Spanish -Catalan multilingualism: The case of a bi-ethnic polylingual family in Catalonia
... Л., 1974.
8. Aparicio M. E. Análisis de la educaciónbilingüe en España // ICEI. 2009. № 12. P. 1—4.
9. Barnes J. D. Early Trilingualism: A Focus on Questions. Clevedon, 2006.
10. Bastardasi Boada A. La bilingüització de la segonageneració immigrant. Realitatifactors a Vilafranca del Penedès. Barcelona, 1985.
11. Bloomfield L. Language. London, 1973.
12. Boixi Fuster E. Un panorama sociolingüísticdelsterritoris de llenguacatalana // E. Boixi Fuster (coord.) Elsfutursdelcatalà. Unestat ...
The “Polish question” in Soviet-German relations in the second half of the 1920s (based on the materials of the USSR consulate in Königsberg)
..., F. 0165, Op. 6, D. 199. 12. Srokowski, S. 1925, Z krainy Czarnego Krzyża, Poznań. 13. Vostochnaja Prussija glazami sovetskih pereselencev. Pervye gody Kaliningradskoj oblasti v vospominanijah i dokumentah [East Prussia through the eyes of Soviet immigrants. The first years of the Kaliningrad region in the memoirs and documents], 2002, Saint Petersburg, Belvedere.
international relations, ‘Polish question’, USSR, Germany, consulate, Königsberg, Polish corridor, Free city ...
International Migration in the Periods of Transition and Crisis: the Case of Latvia
....de (дата обращения: 31.03.2014).
11. Findlay A., Geddes A., McCollum D. International Migration and Recession// Scottish Geographical Journal. 2010. Vol. 126, № 4. P. 299—320.
12. Glick Schiller N., Basch L., Szanton B. C. From Immigrant to Transmigrant: Theorizing Transnational Migration // Transnationale Migration / ed. L. Pries. Baden Baden, 1997. P. 121—140.
13. Göler D., Krišjāne Z. Anmerkungen zur Variabilität von Migrationssystemen (mit Erfahrungen aus Lettland ...
The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity
... worldview in a society. The article describes the transformation of territorial and canonical structure of Christian denominations in Sweden. It is argued that, despite secularisation of Swedish society, religion remains a key component in both host and immigrant cultures, which requires a study of the denominational space. Special attention is paid to recent changes in Sweden’s Christian space. The authors emphasise the growing role of the parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate,...
Interregional and cross-country flows of labor resources in the Kaliningrad region: factors and vectors in the contemporary Eurasian context
... the balance of external labor migration in recent years is characterized by a declining trend. The outflow of the able-bodied population to the Russian metropolitan regions played the decisive role. The need for temporary workers is filled mainly by immigrants from Uzbekistan. The labor market pressure by migrant workers remains below the national average. Intraregional migration is not dominated only by the centripetal forces, pulling the periphery's population into the Kaliningrad agglomeration,...
A unified and harmonised European law and its impact on third countries
Having transferred the title on visas, asylum, immigration and other policies related to free movement of persons from the third pillar into the Treaty on European Community, the Amsterdam Treaty vested legislative power in the European Community in the fields of international civil procedure and ...
Transformations in the Communicative Characteristics of Political Discourse in the Current Information Space
... Populism and Competitive Authoritarianism in the Andes. Democratization, 20(1), pp. 107—136.
44. Searle, J., 1995. The Construction of Social Reality. New York. p. 8.
45. Witte, G., Beck, L. Austria turns sharply to the right in an election shaped by immigration. Available at:
[Accessed 22 December 2017].
46. Weyland, K., 2013. The Threat from the Populist Left. Journal of Democracy, 24(3), pp....
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
... interdependence. In: Baun, M., Marek, D. (eds.) The New Member States and the European Union: Foreign Policy and Europeanization, London & New York.
34. Elson, A. 1997, Baltic State Membership in the European Union: Developing a Common Asylum and Immigration Policy, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, Vol. 5, no. 1, Article 15, p. 317—340, available at:
35. Santel, B. 1995, Loss of Control: The Build-up of ...
The Baltic economic model: some results of the 1990—2015 transformations
... "imperialism of values"], Vestnik MGIMO-Universiteta [Vestnik MGIMO-University], no.4 (37), p.116 - 124.
3. Sokol, Ju. 2015, Rumm H: Argument o sovetskih migrantah v spore o kvotah na Evrokomissiju ne dejstvuet [Rumm H: The argument of Soviet immigrants in the debate about quotas for the European Commission does not act], Eesti Rahvusringhääling, available at: http://rus.err.ee/v/estonia/5c909cfb-3d92-4fa5-822e-8580d742d7bc (accessed 03.06.2015).
4. Sokol, Ju. 2015, Kristina Kallas: ne ...
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
18. Düvell, F. 2006, Irregular migration: A global, historical and economic perspective. In: Düvell, F. Irregular Migration in Europe, Beyond Control, Palgrave McMillan, London, p. 14—39.
19. Sahin-Mencutek, Z. 2012, Immigration Control in Transit States: The Case of Turkey, European Journal of Economic and Political Studies, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 137—163.
20. Triandafyllidou, A., Maroukis, T. 2012, Migrant Smuggling. In: Irregular Migration from Asia and Africa to ...