Billionaires and Millionaires of the Baltic Sea Region: A Comparative Analysis of National Business Elites
Local business elites make a major contribution to the development of the Baltic region’s countries, shaping their present and future. The Baltic business elites are an integral part of the transnational capitalist class — a product of the global economy and the global division of labour. Drawing on a sizeable body of statistics, the author conducts a comparative analysis of the Baltic states’ financial elites. The author considers such characteristics of business elites as their number,...
Economic globalization, production internationalization, creation of international production networks
The article is devoted to economic globalization that is considered first of all as the process of formation and development of international production networks. The article shows the differences from the previous production internalization. The specific features of commodity chains and ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
... Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland. The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s classification identifies higher status cities and ‘global cities’, which are to be considered in the global context. Seven coastal regions are distinguished within this region, whose organising centers are the global coastal cities of Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and ...
Global energy and environmental security in the current global economic crisis
This article considers the problems of the environmental impact of energy. Further reduction of this impact on the global environment can be achieved two ways. The short-term one implies the increase in energy efficiency. In the next 15—20 years, the increase in efficiency should become a priority of the energy policy of all states. The long-term one is based on ...
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
... the issue of definition and methods of state administration in administrative law, Administrativnoe i munitsipal'noe pravo [Administrative Law and Administration Practice], no. 5, p. 430—439. (In Russ.)
13. Meshkova, T. A., Moiseichev, E. Ya. 2015, Global Value Chains: World Trends and the Russia’s Involvement, Vestnik Finansovogo universiteta [Bulletin of the Financial university], Vol. 1, no. 85, p. 83−96. (In Russ.)
14. On the development of regulatory impact assessment Institute in the regions ...
Population change in global urban regions
This article focuses on the key aspects of population development in the historical cores of leading global urban regions at the stage of globalisation. The research sets out to identify and describe the common — model — and individual features of the demographic modernisation process.
1. Vallerstein, I. 2001. Tipologija krizisov v mirosisteme In: ...
Transformation of global value chains in Russia and the Baltics amid Covid-19: prospects for regionalization and implications for economic policy
... and the Baltics have historically been economic partners, the economic relations between them are tense today. Nearly stagnating bilateral trade contributes little to the development of either side. The Baltics-Russian bilateral trade conducted within global value chains (GVC) and operations of multinational companies is much more resistant to geopolitical and economic shocks than traditional international trade. In particular, the accession of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania to the EU and NATO in 2004 ...
Countries of the Baltic Region in the Global Culinary Space
Globalisation is creating a global culinary space where culinary traditions of different countries interact and compete. The author sets out to explore characteristic features of the culinary space of nine Baltic States as part of the global culinary space. The author uses empirical ...
Modern indicators of urban development: challenges and opportunities for creating integral approaches to city management
8. Озерова О. Ю. Интегральный индекс качества жизни населения региона // Вопросы территориального развития. 2015. № 1 (21). С. 1—10.
9. Kearney A. T. 2019 Global Cities Report. URL:
global-cities/ (дата обращения: 10.08.2019).
10. Button K. City management and urban environmental indicators // Ecological economics. 2002. Vol. 40, № 2. P. 231—232.
11. Economist ...
Historical memory in the age of globalization: the case of Russian- Estonian relations
This article contributes to the discussion within the "Towards the Common Past" international academic network bringing together scholars from Russia, the Baltic States and the Nordic countries. It assesses the relationship between globalization and historical memory, thus contributing to the discussion on globalization and the roles and applications of history. On the basis of an analysis of academic discourses on globalization and historical memory, the author arrives at two conclusions....
Russian energy diplomacy and international energy security (geopolitics and economics)
This article considers national energy security as a component of foreign policy and diplomacy and analyses the current state of Russian energy policy, the role of Russia in global energy geopolitics and the factors affecting it. The author examines energy diplomacy as an instrument of foreign policy at both global and regional levels taking into account the changes in the corporate policy of energy companies.
Duty and Coercion in Kant’s Republican Cosmopolitanism
... into a republican civil union means according to Kant’s account of right the greatest contribution that a state could offer to enhance the cosmopolitan order.
1. Beck, V., Culp, J. 2013, Interview of K. Flikschuh, R. Forst and D. Moellendorf, in: Global Justice: Theory Practice Rhetoric 6, pp. 40—53.
2. Bernstein, A. R. 2008, Kant on Rights and Coercion in International Law: Implications for Humanitarian Military Intervention”, in: Jahrbuch für Recht und Ethik 16, pp. 57—100.
Land Use Change and Economics of Land Degradation in the Baltic Region
1. von Braun, J., Gerber, N., Mirzabaev, A., Nkonya, E. 2013, The economics of land degradation, ZEF Working paper series, no. 109, Bonn, Germany.
2. Nkonya, E., Anderson, W., Kato, E., Koo, J., Mirzabaev, A., von Braun, J., Meyer, S. 2016. Global cost of land degradation / Economics of Land Degradation and Improvement, A Global Assessment for Sustainable Development Springer International Publishing, p. 117—165.
3. Winthner, T. Tlga, M., Valters, K. 2014, A Bioeconomy for the Baltic Sea ...
On Estimation of Rainfall Variations over the European Part of Russia
The rainfall variations on the European part of Russia over the period of instrumental observations (1901-2005) are considered in comparison to the hemisphere and global rainfall variations. A positive rainfall trend is indicated over the observation period. The most significant increase in precipitation over the European part of Russia was recorded in the second half of the 20th century and amounted to 20.6 mm/10 ...
Development of economy in conditions of liberal reforms
The author discusses negative influence of globalization processes on world economy, presents global geopolitical and geo-economic trends in the context of system of challenges for Russia.
Экономические проблемы социализма: опыт ...
Disease control and border lockdown at the EU’s internal borders during Covid-19 pandemic: the case of Finland
3. Elliot S. Health Geography // Michalos A. C. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. Dordrecht, 2014.
4. Ingram A. The New Geopolitics of Disease: Between Global Health and Global Security // Geopolitics. 2005. Vol. 10, № 3. P. 522—545.
5. Youde J. Global Health Governance. Cambridge, 2012.
6. Ng N. Y., Ruger J. P. Global Health Governance at a Crossroads // ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... Щепаньский Я. Элементарные понятия социологии. М., 1969. С. 116.
32. Adner R. Match your innovation strategy to your innovation ecosystem // Harvard Business Review. 2006. № 84. P. 98—110.
33. Amin A., Thrift N. Globalization, institutional ’thickness’ and the local economy // Managing Cities: The New Urban Context / ed. by P. Healey, S. Cameron, S. Davoudi [et al.]. Chichester, 1995. P. 92—108.
34. Antonelli C. Collective knowledge communication and innovation: ...
The image of Russia in 2010—2011 international indices: positioning crisis
... image of Russia and its perception by the international community in 2010—2011. International indices are a comprehensive information source in terms of the economic and political image of a country and, to a great extent, a decisive factor in the global trends relevant to different countries and their development potentials. The author also compares the international images of Russia and the Baltic Sea region countries.
1. Legatum prosperity index, available at: http://www. li. com/ (accessed ...
An “ideal city”, its statics and dynamics
... context. The author offers the definitions of these two notions under historical and modern conditions, and determines the specificity of the ‘ideal city’ as a complex socio-biotechnical system both dependent on the scale of it (local, national, global) and its position within the dynamic global whole. Then, the ideal city notion is analyzed in two aspects: as a channel of presentation of a model of future living environment, and as a form of its application to the goal of making (constructing) ...
Digital World Communication аnd Translation
The introduction of digital computers, information and communication technologies (ICTs), and the Internet/Web has broadened the scope of communication globally in ways unprecedented in human history. The “digital world” implies more than the technical and instrumental aspects and usage of technology; it equally involves our tangible human social engagement and interface with the tools and technologies ...
The legitimation and criticism of violence in international law. A po¬litical science perspective
... Of Justice, Application instituting proceedings filed in the Registry of the Court on 9 April 1984. URL: www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/70/9615.pdf (дата обращения: 28.08.2012).
8. Cunliffe Ph. A Dangerous Duty: Power, Paternalism and the Global‚ Duty of Care‘ // Critical Perspectives on the Responsibility to Protect / Eds. Ph. Cunliffe. L. ; N. Y., 2011. P. 51—70.
9. Eberl O., Niesen P. Immanuel Kant. Zum ewigen Frieden und Auszüge aus der Rechtslehre. Kommentare. Frankfurt ; ...
The trajectories of university education modernisation with the use of contemporary forms of international university cooperation
... двойных дипломов в странах Европейского союза: отчет РОО «Центр изучения проблем профессионального образования».
(2006) EFA Global Monitoring Report 2006: Literacy for Life. Табл. 9А.
Globalization and Markets: Challenges for Higher Education, Higher Education in the World 3, GUNI, 2008.
. The Developing World of Borderless ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... modelling of climate change and geo-ecological consequences, as well as to atlas mapping and landscape planning. As a result of the geosituational analysis the authors got new insights into the solar-terrestrial links, marine-terrestrial ecosystems, global and regional processes related to climate change, oceanization, the vulnerability of natural systems under the increasing pressure of anthropogenic activities, and continuously increasing risks presented by industrial agriculture and other types ...
The impact of water dynamics on biomass and the distribution of biological resources of the pelagic zone of the southern parts of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans
... concentrations in the southern part of the Pacific Ocean and the Antarctic krill in the Antarctic part of the Atlantic. The possibilities of using the results obtained for the rational commercial use of biological resources in the studied areas of the global ocean are described.
1. Кошляков М. Н., Тараканов Р. Ю. Промежуточные воды южной части Тихого океана // Океанология. 2005. Т. 45, № 4. С. 485—503.
2. Кошляков ...
The moving boundaries of news translation
... London: Routledge.
Bassnett, S., 2005. Bringing the News Back Home: Strategies of Acculturation and Foreignisation. Language and Intercultural Communication, 5(2), pp. 120—130. 10.1080/14708470508668888.
Bielsa, E. and Bassnett, S., 2009. Translation in Global News. London, New York: Routledge.
Bouko, C., et al., (in press) Being a Journalist in a Multilingual Country: Representations of Dutch among Belgian French-Speaking Journalists. Multilingua: Journal of Cross-Cultural and Interlanguage Communication....
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
... crisisEKONS: Ekonomicheskii razgovor [ECONS: Economic conversation], 29.07.2020, available at:
(accessed 01.09.2020) (in Russ.).
14. Czaika, M., Haas de, H. 2014, The globalization of migration: Has the world become more migratory? International Migration Review, vol. 48, no. 2, p. 283—323. doi:
15. Castles, S., Haas de, H., Miller, M. J. 2013, The Age of Migration: In: International ...
Security in the Baltic region as a Projection of Global Confrontation between Russia and the USA
... Steven Mann’s controlled chaos theory and the concept of Intermarium. Their starting assumption is that the situation in the Baltic depends largely on the politics of external powers — Russia and the United States, — being a projection of their global geopolitical confrontation. The US strategy thus becomes a major part of the equation. The authors believe that since the end of the second Iraq war the American elite has been divided along ideological lines into adherents of the chaos theory ...
Network Transformations in Economy
... Trust // Rationality and Society. 1995. № 7. P. 225—292.
10. Chesbrough H. Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Boston : Harvard Business School Press, 2003.
11. Coe N. M., Yeung H. M., Dicken H. W. Globalizing’ regional development: a GPNs perspective // Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2004. № 29. P. 468—484.
12. Contractor F., Lorange P. Cooperative Strategies in International Business. Lexington, Mass. : Lexington ...
Moscow and its region: structural and functional transformations
The article shows various structural-functional transformations of Moscow and its region generated by the changes in mode of production in Russia as a result of ‘perestroika’ as well as of the results of a combination of global changes triggered by the Fourth industrial revolution (hereafter the STR-4) and by the change in Russia’s geopolitical role in the modern world. The author identifies the main trends as Moscow’s dependence on global geopolitical transformations,...
Text localization as a task of translation
... of the 4th International Virtual Conference on Russian Language, Literature and Culture. Erevan, Limoush, pp. 42—46 (in Russ.).
2. Pym A., 2014. Exploring Translation Theories. New York, Routledge. 255 p.
3. Androutsopoulos J., 2010. Localizing the Global on the Participatory Web. The Handbook of Language and Globalisation. Coupland, pp. 203—231.
4. Jiménez-Crespo M. A., 2013. Translation and Web Localization. Routledge. 233 p.
5. Mityagina V. A., 2014. Translation as the stage of the formation ...
Statistical analysis of tourism flows between Ukraine and the Baltic Sea Region countries in 2012—2019
... significant changes in inbound and outbound tourism flow structures. The COVID-19 pandemic is shown to be a critical factor influencing the current state and prospects of the tourism industry.
1. Song, H., Li, G., Cao, Z. 2018, Tourism and Economic Globalization: An Emerging Research Agenda, Journal of Travel Research, vol. 57, no. 8, p. 999—1011. doi:10.1177/ 0047287517734943.
2. Javid, E., Katircioglu, S. 2017, The globalization indicators-tourism development nexus: a dynamic panel-data analysis,...
Russia and the European Union: an elusive quest for common values?
... the Changing World, Moskovskiye Novosti, 27 February, available at: http://en. rian. ru/analysis/20120227/171547818.html (accessed 11 March 2012).
3. Baere De, G. 2012, Some Reflections on the EU and the Responsibility to Protect, Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, Leuven University, working paper no. 79, January.
4. Baudet, T. 2010, Het Europees Hof voor de Rechten van de Mens vormt een ernstige inbreuk op de democratie, NRC Handelsblad, 13 November.
5. Börzel, T. A., Pamuk, Y. 2012,...
Strategic development of a university in the Russian exclave
The article focuses on key characteristics of modern universities (global, scientific and entrepreneurial) ones. The authors discuss prospects of the strategic development of the university in the Russian exclave.
Uchenye bez nauki. Institucional'nyj analiz sfery // Publichnye lekcii ...
Framework for the Analysis of Geography of Transnational Corporations Investments Abroad
(accessed 1 May 2016).
4. Grechko, E. A. 2006, Modeli upravlenija transnatsional’nymi korporatsijami v uslovijah globalizatsii [Management models of transnational corporations in conditions of globalization], Moscow.
5. Kuznetsov, A. V. 1999, Germanija: sovremennyje osobennosti geografii prjamyh zarubezhnyh investitsij [Germany: modern features of foreign direct investment geography], Voprosy ekonomicheskoj i politicheskoj geografii zarubezhnyh ...
The Eurasian Economic Community in the global energy system
The article considers the IEA data on energy reserves in terms of global and national energy security. The authors describe methods for regulating the energy market in the European Union and the Eurasian Economic Community. The authors support the idea of applying the experience of the EU.
Dependence of the equilibrium state from initial data in numerical global ocean climate model
Sensitivity of large-scale numerical model of climate of the World Ocean (a five degree latitude-longitudinal grid and 24 levels in the vertical) from initial data on temperature and salinity is investigated in numerical global ocean climate model.
1. Саркисян А. С. Основы теории и расчет океанических течений. Л., 1966.
2. Саркисян А. С. Численный анализ и прогноз морских течений....
Developing geotourism with a focus on geoheritage in a transboundary region: the case of the Curonian Spit, a UNESCO site
.... Gordon, J. E. 2018, Geoheritage, Geotourism and the Cultural Landscape: Enhancing the Visitor Experience and Promoting Geoconservation, Geosciences, vol. 8, no. 4, p. 136. doi:
6. Dowling, R. K. 2013, Global Geotourism — An Emerging Form of Sustainable Tourism, Czech journal of tourism, vol. 2, no. 2. doi:
7. Santangelo, N., Valente, E., 2020, Geoheritage and Geotourism Resources, Resources, vol. 9, no. 7,...
Eurasian Future of Russia: Alternating Integration and Disintegration Cycles
Russia needs to fit into the international geopolitical and geo-economic landscape. The formation of this landscape is largely determined by alternating integration and disintegration cycles in the development of the world economy. The second global disintegration cycle that started in 2008 is expected to last 15—20 years. It will be followed by a new integration cycle, largely dependent on China (Pax Sinensis instead of Pax Americana). This change necessitates a number of steps: a significant ...
Global and Regional Problems of Geography and Geoecology
Global and regional processes
Seriality in the Age of Globalization: Defining a Problem
Foreign nationals on the Boards of Directors of Russia’s Ten Largest Non-Financial Companies Investing Overseas
... of Directors as an internal mechanism of corporate governance, Korporatynye Finansy [Corporate finance], no. 4, p. 14—33. (in Russ.)
15. Kuznetsov, A., Chetverikova, A. 2009, Russian multinationals continue their outward expansion in spite of the global crisis, available at:
16. Kuznetsov, A. 2013, Global Expansion of Russian Multinationals after the Crisis: Results of 2011, available at:
The assessment and factors of increase in innovative competitiveness of Latvian regions
Latvia’s participation in the process of integration and globalization within the European Uni on creates a need to improve tools of competitiveness and management assessment of the country’s regions. It also requires the development of common approaches to sel ection criteria, competition indicators and ...
The genetic patterns of severe therapeutically resistant asthma as shown by a transcriptomic study: An analysis of gene ontology and KEGG pathways
The leading mechanisms and causes of severe therapy resistant asthma are poorly understood. The aim of this study was to define global patterns of gene expression in adults with severe therapy-resistant asthma. Performed 24-week prospective interventional study in parallel groups. Severe asthma patients was aposterior divided at therapy sensitive and resistant patients according ...
The development of bioeconomy of the Baltic Region in the context of regional and global climate change
Climate change is projected to have a profound effect on natural ecosystems, biodiversity, and societies both in the Baltic region and globally, particularly so through agriculture and food systems. The Baltic region has a vast potential for the development of bioeconomy due to the existing opportunities for biomass production and advances in microbiology leading to process- and product ...
Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project
... Huntington, S. 2003, Stolknovenie civilizacij [Clash of Civilizations], Mos-cow.
9. Toffler, E. 2003, Shok budushhego [Future Shock], Moscow.
10. Brzezinski, Z. 2006, Poslednij suveren na rasput'e [The last sovereign at the crossroads], Rossija v global'noj politike [Russia in Global Affairs], no. 1.
11. Ohmae, K. 1998, The End of the nation State, London.
12. Mandelc, D., Učakar, T. 2011, Perforated Democracy: Disintegration, State-building, Europeanisation and the Erased of Slovenia,...
Geopolitical development potential of the Russian exclusive region: search for key strategy and mechanisms for its implementation in new conditions
... нашу гавань заходили корабли // Международная жизнь. 2001. № 11. С. 44—48.
16. Advances in European Borderlands Studies / еd. by Z. Kurcz, E. Opiłowska, J. Roose. Baden-Baden, 2017.
17. Anderson E. W. Global Geopolitical Flashpoints: An Atlas of Conflict. L., 2016.
18. Christiansen T. The European Union and Global Governance // Global Governance from Regional Perspectives: A Critical View / еd. by A. Triandafyllidou. Oxford, 2017. P. 209—233.
The innovative process in the Baltic Sea region
In order to maintain its global competitiveness in the future, the Baltic Sea region (BSR) needs to preserve and improve its technological capability and innovativeness. This article focuses on innovations in the Baltic Sea region, particularly on external innovation drivers ...
Pollination as an ecosystem service in agricultural nature management
... zur Erlan-gung des Doktorgrades. Göttingen, 2004.
11. Decourtye A., Mader E., Desneux N. Landscape enhancement of floral resources for honey bees in agro-ecosystems // Apidologie. 2010. No 41. P. 264—277.
12. Groot R., Brander L, Ploeg S van der. Global estimates of the value of ecosystems and their services in monetary units // Ecosystem Services. 2012. P. 50—61.
13. Granek E. F., Polasky S., Kappel C. V. et al. Ecosystem services as a common lan¬guage for coastal ecosystem-based management ...
Certain issues of correlation between the international financial law and the EU law
... international financial law (IFL) and the EU law has become particularly vital in this integrational entity where a special legal system was created. It has been developing until now and carries the features of the both international and municipal law. Global financial crisis and subsequent sovereign debt crisis have substantially changed global financial architecture and led to a comprehensive reform of the financial branch in the EU. The author implementing systematic analysis and formal legal method ...