Poland’s Foreign Policy Mechanisms: Legal Framework and Policy Analysis
This article describes the features of Poland’s foreign policy. Special attention is paid to the foreign policy mandate of the president, government, and minister of foreign affairs and the procedure for devising Poland’s foreign policy strategy. Another focus is the contribution of local government ...
The regional approach in the policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia
This author uses regionalism as a theoretical framework for analyzing the foreign policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia. Regionalism is interpreted as a situation, when a political leader’s beliefs change depending on what region of the world is considered. Leaders of great powers often assume that,...
Formation of American Foreign Policy towards Poland before and in First Years of Cold War
The article analyses the mechanisms of the development of American foreign policy towards Central and Eastern Europe on the example of Poland.The author considers a number of factors that influenced the process of the foreign policy development.
Мистер «Икс» в
Modern Lithuanian foreign policy: the adjustment of traditional policy
The authors consider the core areas of Lithuanian foreign policy. Special attention is paid to the adjustment of the major foreign policy vector, which concentrated earlier on the cooperation with the United States of America and strategic partnership with the Republic of Poland. The article analyses ...
The foreign policy of Poland and the Kaliningrad region in 1989—2012
This article sets out to analyse the role of the Kaliningrad region in the Polish foreign policy after 1989. The analysis focuses on the political and regional determinants, which had the greatest impact on the Poland-Kaliningrad region relations. The methodology used in the article is not unusual for political science and is based ...
The danish parliament as an actor of Denmark’s foreign policy towards the EU and Russia: a comparative analysis, 2005—2019
The growing number of participants in foreign policy decision-making calls for a study of the forces affecting the behaviour of states in the international arena. In contemporary states, parliaments are increasingly challenging the exclusive prerogatives of executive power in foreign and ...
The new 1948—1949 US policy towards Yugoslavia: origins and results
This article focuses on the 1948 turn in the US policy towards the Soviet-Yugoslav conflict. The author analyses the reaction of American foreign policy establishment to the Cominform resolution and the degree to which Washington understood the consequences of a split between Stalin and Tito.
Коминформа, 1947, 1948, 1949: док. и матер. М
The restoration of the political independence of Lithuania in the late 1980s-early 1990s: a historiographical review
... independence in the 1980s-early 1990s and the establishment of Lithuania-Russian interstate relations in the early post-Soviet years. The topic of the article serves as a context for the analysis of the sources and general trends characteristic of Russian and foreign historians.
1. Бразаускас А. Пять лет президента. События, воспоминания, мысли. М., 2002.
2. Бусыгина И. Россия и страны Балтии: формирование новых ...
The concept of the European Union’s normative power
... power, New York, Public Affairs.
34. Cerutti, F., Lucarelli, S. (eds.), 2008, The Search for a European Identity: Values, Policies and Legitimacy of the European Union, London and New York, Routledge.
35. Wang, Y. 2009, The Identity Dilemmas of EU ... ... Identity of the European Union, London, Macmillan.
37. Wood, S. 2009, The European Union: A Normative or Normal Power? European Foreign Affairs Review, Vol. 14, no. 1, p. 113–128.
38. Wood, S. 2011, Pragmatic power EUrope? Cooperation and Conflict. Vol....
Evolution of International Research Cooperation models in the Contemporary Foreign Policy Environment
This article focuses on the principle models of international research and academic cooperation. The author divides international academic cooperation into periods and analyses the evolution of the connection between foreign policy and international cooperation in education and research aimed at raising the prestige and improving the position of a state in the international arena. The author focuses on the non-linear nature of periods stemming from the fact that different ...
Russian-Estonian relations: a medium-term forecast
This article shows why the non-existent political dialogue between Russia and Estonia will hardly develop in the next five years and why Estonia can lose its significance for the Russian foreign policy rhetoric and Russian mass media. This conclusion is drawn from a medium-term forecast about the changing role of Estonia in Russian foreign policy. The forecast is based on the scenario methodology, which suggests that the modern means ...
Motivations of Russian firms to invest abroad: how do sanctions affect Russia’s outward foreign direct investment?
In 2013, Russia’s outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) soared and the OFDI stock exceeded $ 500 billion. However, a year later, Russia’s OFDI dropped by nearly 15 per cent. Rapid upward and downward swings make it necessary to analyze the motivation of Russian firms to invest ...
Russian energy diplomacy and international energy security (geopolitics and economics)
This article considers national energy security as a component of foreign policy and diplomacy and analyses the current state of Russian energy policy, the role of Russia in global energy geopolitics and the factors affecting it. The author examines energy diplomacy as an instrument of foreign policy at both global ...
The Role of Small Countries in Post-Soviet Territorial Restructuring: the Baltic Case
... between major players. This is especially true in the case of states that do not bear responsibility for global stability.
1. Accord between the political parties represented in the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania on strategic guidelines for the foreign, security and defence policy of the Republic of Lithuania for 2014—2020, 2014, Parliament of the Republic of ithuania, available at: http://www3.lrs.lt/pls/inter/w5_show?p_r=4028&p_d= 146140&p_k=2 (accessed 31.08.2014).
2. Agreement between ...
Transborder corporate integration in the Baltic Sea Region
The paper examines flows of foreign direct investment within the Baltic region. The author demonstrates close investment ties among the EU members, which are of special importance for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Transborder corporate integration in the region is characterized ...
Geopolitical transformation of the Kaliningrad oblast of the Russian Federation
... influenced by the internal transformation in the USSR and the Russian Federation (RF) as well as slips in the international policies of Central and Eastern Europe.
. The Inclusion of the Other: Studies in Political Theory Cambridge,... ....
Lopata R. Sirutavičius V
. Lithuania and Kaliningrad Oblast: a Clearer Frame for Cooperation //
Lithuanian Foreign Policy Review
3. P. 51—66;
Political Science Yearbook
. Vilnius, 2000. P. 266—276....
The Žalgiris movement and the formation of an alternative foreign policy philosophy (on the basis of the Žalgiris appendix to the Respublika newspaper)
After Lithuanian accession to the European Union and NATO, a cross-party political consensus has existed regarding the state’s foreign policy objectives. Against this background, the Žalgiris national resistance movement, which was established by eminent politicians, journalists, and public figures in 2009, posed a certain intellectual challenge. This article concentrates on ...
The “Polish question” in Soviet-German relations in the second half of the 1920s (based on the materials of the USSR consulate in Königsberg)
On the basis of earlier unknown documents of the Soviet consulate in Königsberg retrieved from the Archive of the Foreign Policy of the Russian Federation, the author analyses relations between the USSR and Germany in 1925—1930. The author focuses on the role of the “Polish question”, which largely affected the nature of bilateral relations. The consulate documents ...
Lithuania's Lonely Leadership 2.0.
The article scrutinizes Lithuanian foreign policy within the framework of the regional leadership concept first introduced in the early 2000s. The reasons of failure of the first leadership attempt in 2004—2008 are analyzed, as are the reasons behind the revival of the concept in 2010 ...
Country Competitiveness: an Empirical Study
... Effects, Review of World Economics, Vol. 144, no. 3, p. 381—407.
6. Davies, R.B, Kristjánsdóttir, H. 2010, Fixed Costs, Foreign Direct Investment, and Gravity with Zeros, Review of International Economics, Vol. 18, no. 1, p. 47—62.
7. Doyle, P.... ..., W. H. 1997, Econometric Analysis. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
10. Harzing, A. W., Pudelko, M. 2013, Language competencies, policies and practices in multinational corporations: A comprehensive review and comparison of Anglophone, Asian, Continental ...
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
... Delors Institute, available at:
31. Ozonis, A. 1994, The Policies of the Baltic Countries Vis-à-vis the CSCE, NATO and WEU, The Foreign Policies of the Baltic Countries: Basic Issues, p. 49—50.
32. Haab, M. 1998, Potentials and Vulnerabilities of the Baltic States. In: Hansen, B., Heurlin, B. (eds.) The Baltic States in World Politics, New York, St. Martin’s Press.
The Role of Political Elites in the Development of Politics of Memory in the Baltic States
... the past into the European politics of memory. Historical politics of the Baltic States shows the Baltic countries as the victims of "two totalitarianisms" ("Nazi and Soviet occupation"), and this point of view is widely used as a foreign policy tool. The politicization of the "anti-totalitarianism" issue is now a popular foreign policy tool that not only serves the interests of the Baltic and Eastern European politicians, but also finds ideological supporters in Western ...
Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives
... 1992, History and Memory, New York, p. 54.
7. Feldmanis, I. 2015, Okkupacija Latvii — istoricheskie i mezhdunarodno-pravovye aspekty [The occupation of Latvia — historical and international legal aspects], The official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia, available at: https://www.mfa.gov.lv/ru/information/history/history-juridicalaspects/?print=on (accessed 03.04.2014).
8. Ponomareva, Е., Shishelina, L. 2014, Predsedatel'stvo Latvii v ES-2015: «Vostochnoe ...
Exclavity as a challenge and a resource for foreign positioning of the Kaliningrad region
... positioning, exclavity is both a challenge and a resource. Guided by the principles of factor analysis, through the method of principal components, the author puts forward several theses regarding the possibilities and limitations of exclavity in overcoming foreign positioning of the region. The economic dependence of the Kaliningrad region on the federal government policies inside and outside the country makes the region “fragile” in terms of promoting its sociocultural image. The article shows the tough dependence on the foreign economic decisions of the federal authorities using the development trends of the ...
Finland’s policy towards the USSR in the 1980s—at the beginning of the 1990s in the Finnish historiography
The article is a review of the body of literature published in Finland during the 1990s — 2010s, describing the evolution of Finland's foreign policy towards the USSR in the last decade of the Cold War. The author identifies chronological stages of the study of Finland’s policy towards the Soviet Union and analyses the most relevant themes, which were the subject of attention of ...
Norway’s International Development Assistance Policy in the Current International Environment: Mechanisms of Justification
19. Development Co-operation. Peer Review, The Development Assistance Committee: Enabling effective development, 2013, OECD, Norway 2013, available at: http://www.oecd.org/dac/peer-reviews/Norway_FINAL_2013.pdf (accessed 2.11.2015).
20. Better Policies for Development 2014: Policy Coherence and Illicit Financial Flows, 2014, OECD, OECD Publishing, p. 93, available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264210325-en (accessed 15.11.2015)
21. Opportunities for All: Human Rights in Norway’s Foreign Policy and Development Cooperation. Meld. St. 10 (2014—2015), 2015, Report to the Storting (white paper), available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/dokumenter/meld.-st.-10-2014-2015/id2345623/ (accessed 20.01.2016).
22. Patrick, W. 2014, ...
Russia and the First Balkan War
This article considers foreign policy events relating to Russia’s participation in the Balkan issue in the early 20th century. One of the major considerations behind Russia’s Balkan policy was the possibility of Bulgaria seizing Constantinople and Serbia gaining access ...
Framework for the Analysis of Geography of Transnational Corporations Investments Abroad
This article develops a methodology for studying the geography of companies — an area of human geography that remains understudied in Russia. The authors refer to foreign direct investment (FDI) studies to stress the importance of analysing individual transnational corporations. Special attention is paid to FDI statistics, including international statistics provided by IMF, OECD, and UNCTAD, the official data of ...
Local border traffic as an efficient tool for developing cross-border cooperation
.... The article will be of interest to specialists in international and, particularly, in cross-border cooperation. The authors analyse the mechanism of local border traffic and identify possible trends based on the general socioeconomic situation and foreign policy background in Russia, Belarus, and the EU (Norway). The article employs the cartographic method to enhance the visual component of the study. It is concluded that the LBT mechanism is effective and it has a positive effect on the development ...
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
This article analyses how the role of border regions has changed in the regional policies of Russia and European countries since the early 1990s. The study aims to estimate the efficiency of Russia’s regional ... ... coordination between different areas of the federal socio-economic policy on border regions and closer attention to border regions’ foreign economic ties, particularly, within the implementation of the Strategy for the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation....
Forecasting Actions of Baltic elites: A Scenario Approach
... exploited by political elites. The paper contributes to the general debate about the factors of political development and the role of political elites in it. The author pr ovides additional material for analysing possible developments in the domestic policies of the Baltic States in view of external factors.
1. Mezhevich N. M., 2014, Major infrastructure projects and the foreign policy of the Baltic states in 2010—2014, Balt. Reg., no 1, p. 7—28. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-1-1.
2. Mezhevich, N. M. 2015, Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives, Balt. Reg., no. 2, p. 4—12. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-2-1....
The Baltic policy of Germany and current international relations
... establishing political, economic, and cultural ties with the new independent states. In the second half of the 1990s, Germany’s foreign policy became less intense. After the accession of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia to the EU and NATO in 2004, certain ... ....de/nordeuropaforum/2008-2/dauchert-helge-53/PDF/dauchert.pdf (accessed 10.02.2015).
3. Etzold, T. 2012, A country on the brink of a religion? Germany’s Baltic Sea policies, Kas international reports, no. 5, p. 6—19.
4. Hubel, H. 1996, Die schwierige Parthnerschaft mit Russland. In: Kaiser,...
The position of international community on the restoration of independence of the Baltic States
... of formulation of foreign policy by the USA, Germany, and the USSR, as well as the practice of political interaction between these countries and the Baltic States. The materials and conclusions of this article can be used for further research on the foreign policies of the USA, Germany, the USSR, and the Baltic republics. In the process of the Baltics gaining their independence, western countries showed an ambivalent position and hesitancy regarding support for the struggle for liberation. As a result of ...
Regulation trends of international cooperation at the regional level
... of international cooperation at the regional level which being officially adopted are implemented
in the Kaliningrad region. Special attention is given to international agreements, involvement in international programs and projects, information for foreign economic activity and development of euroregions with Russian participation.
деятельность предприятий и организаций Калининградской области ...
Russian soft power in the Baltic States through the lens of research: traditions, competition, confrontation
... and mass culture and, partly, educational services are in demand from both Baltic Russian speakers and ethnic Lithuanians, Latvians, and Estonians. Our analysis shows that the views of Baltic researchers that Russian soft power is politics-driven and foreign to the region are exaggerated and biased. In its turn, Russian soft power in the Baltics retains the potential to aid the country’s foreign policy, being a complement to the latter rather than its direct tool.
Vorotnikov V. V., Ivanova ...
Environmental aspect of the current Arctic Strategy of Sweden
(дата обращения: 21.12.2016).
12. Heininen L. Arctic Strategies and Policies: Inventory and Comparative Study.Akureyri, 2012.
13. Joint Communication to the European Parliament and the Council. ... ....eu/archives/docs/arctic_region/docs/160427_joint-communication-an-integrated-euro...
(дата обращения: 01.05.2017).
14. Remarks by Minister for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallström at Arctic Frontiers opening session in Tromsö // Government Offices of Sweden. URL:
Russian-Estonian Economic and Investment Cooperation During the Crisis: Dynamics and Possibilities
... Pskovskij regionologicheskij zhurnal [Pskov regionologichesky Journal], no. 4, p. 134—145.
9. Mosyukov, D. V. 2014. Chem grozjat stranam Pribaltiki rossijskie kontrsankcii [What threatens the Baltic countries, Russian kontrsanktsii], Vneshnjaja politika [Foreign policy], 14 October, available at: http://www.foreignpolicy.ru/analyses/chem-grozyat-stranam-pribaltiki-rossiyskie-kontrsanktsii/ (accessed 01.02.2015).
10. Prezident Jestonii: chrez 10 let my otkljuchimsja ot rossijskih jenergosistem [The President ...
Global energy and environmental security in the current global economic crisis
... форума ведущих экономик по энергетике и климату.
The Venezuelan Oil Crisis. How to Secure American Energy // Foreign
Affairs. 2004. Vol. 83
of the leaders the major economies forum on energy and climate. URL
: http://www.g7.utoronto.ca/summit/2009laquila/2009-mef.pdf (дата обращения: 11.11.2009).
S. V. Kortunov «The contemporary foreign policy of Russia: The strategy of selective involvement»
Poland's Foreign Policy in the 21st Century / ed. by Stanisław Bieleń. Warsaw: Difin, 2011. 462 S.
On the establishment and early activity of the Soviet consulate in Königsberg (1923—1925)
... as well as the fundamental differences in the performance of Russian imperial and Soviet consular missions in East Prussia. On the basis of the earlier unknown documents from the Central Russian archives and the Political archive of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany, the author describes the establishment of the Soviet Consulate in Königsberg in 1923 and the contribution of the first Consul of the USSR in East Prussia, Yulian Boshkovich, to the development of bilateral relations in 1923—1925....
The formation of Israeli foreign policy concept towards the Baltics in 2009—2012
This article considers the role of the Baltic republics as partners of the State of Israel in the international arena in A. Lieberman’s period in office as head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The main areas of cooperation in economy and politics, as well as historical features of intergovernmental contacts are analysed. The author stresses the considerable potential of intergovernmental projects given the major differences ...
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
1. Overview of Schengen Visa statistics 2009—2011, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/overview_of_schengen_visa_statistics_2011_final_en.pdf (accessed 10 April 2013).
... ... «Interfaks» po problematike bezvizovogo rezhima mezhdu Rossiej i Evrosojuzom [Commentar Ambassador at Large of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs A. S. Azimova agency "Interfax" on the problems of a visa-free regime between Russia and the European ...
Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
....lv/steno/2002_8/st_040226/Balsoj/013.htm (accessed 09.11. 2014).
11. Sapronas, R. 1999, BALTBAT and Development of Baltic Defense Forces, Baltic Defense Review, no. 2, p. 55—70.
12. Kolga, M. 2006, Quo Vadis, Baltic Defense Cooperation? Estonian Foreign Policy Yearbook, Tallinn, Eesti välispoliitika instituut, p. 119—136.
13. MID Latvii iskljuchil razmeshhenie «gigantskih baz NATO» na territorii strany [Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Latvia ruled accommodation "giant NATO bases" ...
Research and technology agreements in the Norwegian concession system of the 1970s—1990s
This article is devoted to research and technology agreements in Norway, and their positive impact on the development of relations with foreign oil and gas companies during the period of formation of the Norwegian oil and gas industry. Based on archival documents, the article considers Norway’s experience of conclusion of research and technology agreements for transferring the latest ...
Competitive effects of low trade barriers: evaluations for the Kaliningrad region
... analysis did not confirm the hypothesis about the considerable influence of European prices on the short run dynamics of the regional consumer prices index or prices for certain imported goods. Nevertheless, indirect evidence of competitive effects of foreign trade was found in the course of a comparative analysis of price levels in the regions of the Northwest Federal district: the cost of the standard set of consumer goods and services in the Kaliningrad region is lower than the level defined by ...
The externalisation of migration control in the European Union: first steps towards the external dimension of the space of freedom, security and justice
The creation of an area of freedom, security and justice is one of the most rapidly developing aspects of European integration. It this paper, we take a look at the foreign policies involved in this process — aside from the internal development of the European Union, they concern a significant number of third countries, including Russia. In our view, the efforts to manage the flow of migrants and asylum seekers constitute ...
A methodology for research on international cooperation on marine environment protection: application of the Baltic Sea practices to the northern seas
... September 2010).
5. Press-reliz VII Mezhdunarodnogo kongressa po istorii okeanografii. 2003.Sentjabr'. Kaliningrad.
6. Cit. po: Kalamkarjan, R. Ja. 2006. Filosofija mezhdunarodnogo prava. Moskow.
7. Petersen, N. 2009. The Arctic as a New Arena for Danish Foreign Policy:The Ilulissat Initiative and its Implications. In: Danish Foreign Policy Yearbook 2009. [online] Available at: <www. diis. dk/sw82334.asp> (Accessed 10 September 2010).
methodology, international relations,...
The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
.... Krasavina, L. N. 2014, Conceptual approaches to the problem of modernization of the international currency, credit, financial relations of Russia through the lens of modern world calls, Den'gi i kredit, no.10, p. 45—52. (In Russ.)
4. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, 2016, available at:
(accessed 13.08.2016). (In Russ.)
5. Portal of the external economic information, 2016, available at:
Northern Dimension: Participant Strategies
d. by Michael Emerson and Pami Aalto, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS),
, 2008. P.
Filtenborg, Mette Sicard, Stefan Ganzle, Elisabeth Johanson.
An Alternative Theoretical Approach to EU Foreign Policy: Network Governance and the Case of the Northern Dimension Initiative. Cooperation & Conflict. 2002. 37 (4):387—407.
A hole in the wall?: dimensionalism and the EU's «new neighbourhood policy».