The visa aspects of the academic mobility between the Russian Federation and the European Union: the experience of the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University
... registration issues faced by foreign citizens in Russia.
1. Soglashenie mezhdu Rossijskoj Federaciej i Evropejskim soobwestvom ob uprowenii vydachi viz grazhdanam Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo sojuza ot 25 maja 2006 g. [The agreement between the Russian Federation and the European
Community on the facilitation of issuance of visas to the citizens of the Russian Federation and the European Union on 25 May 2006], Sprav.-pravovaja sistema «Konsul'tantPljus» [Legal-reference system «Adviser Plus»]. ...
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
... the political nature of major obstacles to a visa-free regime. This article is based on the proceedings of the “Russia and European Union: the dynamics of interrelations” international conference organized by the EU center of the I. Kant Baltic Federal University (the EU4U project).
1. Overview of Schengen Visa statistics 2009—2011, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/overview_of_schengen_visa_statistics_2011_final_en....
Origins and historical background of German federalism
The number of federal states in the modern world is extremely small. The Federal Republic of Germany is the largest and most famous federation in Europe. However, German democracy and German federalism are often perceived as externally imposed political values as ...
The development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations: 2010 results
... article reviews current initiatives and approaches of the Parties in the legal regulation of the „Partnership for modernisation".
1. Postojannoe predstavitel'stvo Rossijskoj Federacii pri Evropejskom Sojuze [The Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the European Union], available at: http://www. russianmission. eu (accessed 17 December 2010).
2. Koncepcija modernizacii Soglashenija o partnerstve i sotrudnichestve mezhdu Rossiej i ES i zakljuchenija Soglashenija o prodvinutom partnerstve,...
Innovation Capacity of Russia and the Baltics: a Comparative Approach
... space of the Baltic region. The author presents the results of a comparative analysis of innovative development in Russia and the Baltic Sea countries based on the calculation of an integral research and technological potential index for the Russian Federation, the Northwestern Federal District of Russia, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia. The paper describes the level of research and technological development of Russia in 2008—2010 in terms of human ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... vary a great deal depending on the group of countries involved in cooperation processes. Independent of its type, however, international cooperation is beneficial for all parties concerned and should therefore be more actively encouraged. Northwestern Federal District traditionally plays a special role in the development of EU-Russia cooperation, since a number of its regions border on the EU countries. The district participates in the development of network innovative structures within the Baltic ...
Geography and economy of the Kaliningrad region: limitations and prospects of development
... economic and political space, remain unclear. Media analysts and scholars alike tend to view the Kaliningrad region as “double periphery”, since it is excluded from major modernisation processes both in the European integration zone and in the Russian Federation. However, a detailed study involving polyscale socioeconomic indices, expert interviews, and surveys run contrary to this viewpoint. A look at the key indices of the Kaliningrad region and the neighbouring communities of Poland and Lithuania ...
The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s
... beginning of the 20th century.
1. Gde v Rossii luchshe zhit'. Osnovnye pokazateli social'no-jekonomicheskogo polozhenija subektov Rossijskoj Federacii v 2010 g. [Where better to live in Russia. The main indicators of socio-economic status of the Russian Federation in 2010],
Rossijskaja gazeta, 2011, no. 5430, 16 March 2011.
2. Informacija o social'no-jekonomicheskom polozhenii Rossii, janvar' —dekabr' 2010 g. [Information on the socio-economic situation in Russia, January —December 2010], 2011, Moscow,...
Legal guarantees for international investment according to the legislation of the Russian Federation
4. Gushchin, V. V., Ovchinnikov, A. A. 2006, Investicionnoe pravo [Investment Law], Moscow.
5. Koveshnikov, М. Ye. 2001, Pravovoe regulirovanie inostrannyh investicij v Rossijskoj Federacii [Legal regulation of foreign investment in the Russian Federation], Moscow.
6. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Code of Laws of the Russian Federation], 1999, no 9, Art. 1096.
7. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF [Code of Laws of the Russian Federation], 1999, no 28. Art. 3493.
8. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva RF ...
Minimising Investment Risks Through Optimising Public-Private Partnership: The Case of the Kaliningrad Region
... 2016, Interfax, available at
. ru/business/490758 (accessed 29.03.2016). (in Russ.)
3. Baranovskaya, E. A. 2013, Creating a competitive investment climate in Russia as a basis for upgrading: some legal aspects, Vestnik Baltijskogo federal'nogo universiteta im. I. Kanta [Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic federal University], no. 3, p. 143—151. (in Russ.)
4. On the Special Economic Zone in the Kaliningrad Region and on Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation: ...
The Baltic Sea region and increasing international tension
... Ukaz Presidenta Rossijskoj Federacii ot 13.07.2007 g. No 872 «O prio-stanovlenii Rossijskoj Federaciej deijstvija Dogovora ob obychnyh vooruzhennyh silah v Evrope I svjazannyh s nim mezhdunarodnyh dogovorov [Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of 13.07.2007 No 872 "On the suspension of the Russian Federation participation in the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe and in related International Treaties”], 2007, Kremlin.ru, available at: http://www.kremlin.ru/acts/bank/25785 ...
The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
... cooperation with both Russian and international partners. It will reduce the dependence of production on imported raw materials and semi-finished produces, as well as its energy intensity. The formation of a new more stable economy will be facilitated through federal support and implementation of a number of regional programmes.
1. Gareev, T. R., Zhdanov, V. P., Fedorov, G. M. 2005, Novaja ekonomika Kaliningradskoj oblasti [The new economy of the Kaliningrad region], Voprosy ekonomiki [Problems of Economics],...
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... regard to border regions (its completeness, a focus on actual problems, etc.) and to compare it with that of European counterparts. The article relies on publications on the experience of EU countries, earlier contributions from Russian researchers, federal regulations, and statistics on the regional distribution of federal investment in fixed assets. It is shown that the federal border region policy is largely a reflection of the features and problems of Russia’s regional policy as a whole. Currently,...
On the potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations
This article compares the research and innovation potential of Russia in general, the Northwestern federal district and the Baltics (Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) and explores the opportunities for cooperation between the Russian Federation and the Baltics in the field of innovations. The authors identify possible areas of cooperation and describe ...
A functional description of the model for the protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic Sea region
... development and those of environmental security of the countries that have shorelines along the Baltic Sea. Thus, it is necessary to give a functional description of the regional model for the legal protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic region. To this end, we identify the juridical content of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation. We consider the possibilities of the legal protection of the environmental interests in the national and international ...
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
The need for maritime spatial planning is articulated in the Strategy for Marine Development of the Russian Federation until 2030. However, Russian legislation contains no provisions regulating this field. This article presents the results of a study aimed to devise a methodology for developing the model structure of a maritime plan for the Baltic Sea. The ...
Russia's accession to the WTO as an important factor of the country's integration into the world economy
... determines the objective of the research. This article offers the author's assessment of the reasonability of Russia's accession to the WTO and suggests methodological approaches to the assessment of preparedness of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation for functioning in the new economic conditions based on the algorithm of choosing a system of indicators, as well as the organisation of enterprise monitoring according to this system, which makes it possible to formulate rational administrative ...
Governor elections: An analysis of the federal and regional legislations
This article considers the improvement of the federal legislation on elections of the highest official of a constituent entity of the Russian Federation. The author analyses the legislation of the Kaliningrad region regulating the election of the governor of the Kaliningrad region. An analysis performed ...
Territorial differences in the innovative development of Sweden, Finland, and the North-western federal district of the Russian Federation
This article considers the innovative component of the economies of Sweden, Finland, and the Noreth-western federal district (NWFD) of the Russian Federation. The authors present the results of a comparative analysis of research and technological potential of the regions and their administrativeterritorial units in terms of innovative activity development. ...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... cooperation in regional external relations. The empiric data we have gathered is used to develop and implement a pilot assessment of cross-border specialization of interregional relations which are characteristic of the border regions of the Northwestern Federal District of the Russian Federation. The article offers cross-border specialization indices for each border region of the Northwestern Federal District. With their help, we were able to identify the spheres of interaction with the highest degree ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... economic statistical methods and identifies factors affecting regional development. The author analyses the dependence of the manufacturing industry on customs and tax privileges under the law On the Special Economic Zone in the Kaliningrad region and federal programmes supporting the development of manufacturing and social infrastructure. The article stresses that the abolition of customs privileges in 2016 will result in a significant reduction in industrial output, since a lot of production is heavily ...
Local border traffic as an efficient tool for developing cross-border cooperation
... agreements on a simplified border crossing regime in border areas. This article analyses local border traffic as a cross-border cooperation tool. The territory described in the study includes the external borders of the EU (and Norway) with the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. The article will be of interest to specialists in international and, particularly, in cross-border cooperation. The authors analyse the mechanism of local border traffic and identify possible trends based on the ...
The Amber Industry: Development Сhallenges and Combating Amber Trafficking in the Baltic Region
... Plant", available at:
godovoy-sotsialnyy-otchet-2016-god. php (accessed 10.10.2017). (in Russ.)
2. On the approval of the Strategy for the development of the amber industry of the Russian Federation for the period until 2025, the order of the Government of the Russian Federation of September 15, 2017 No. 1966-r. (in Russ.)
3. The list of strategically important goods and resources for the purposes of Article 226.1 of the Criminal Code ...
The role of the Kaliningrad region in the development of Russian-German relations
Germany is one of the principal partners of the Russian Federation. The Kaliningrad region plays a significant role in the development of partnership between the two countries, but the existing opportunities for development are not fully exploited. This article analyses the development, current state and prospects ...
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
... territorial planning schemes], 2007, Explanatory note, Sankt-Petersburg, p. 249.
6. Gosudarstvennaya programma RF “Razvitie kultury I turizma na 2013—2020 gody”: rasporyazhenie Pravitelstva RF ot 27.12, 2012 N 2567-р [State program of the Russian Federation "Development of Culture and Tourism on 2013—2020 years": the order of the RF Government of 27.12.2012 N 2567-р], 2012.
7. Grushenko, E. B. 2014, Perspektivy razvitiya prigranichnogo mezhdunarodnogo turizma v Murmanskoy oblasti ...
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... comprehensive research the migration situation in the region and the practices of migration management in the framework of risk theory within modern society studies. The key target group of the study are the migrants who have arrived to the region within the Federal Repatriation Programme. The work is based on numerous expert interviews of migration officials.The article analyses written queries to regional ministries on the assessment of local recruiting needs and the opportunities for the arrival and adaptation ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
... cifrah [Kaliningrad Region in Figures]: 2013, 2014, Kaliningrad, 53 p.
9. Kuznetsova, T.Yu., Fedorov, D. G. 2008, Demograficheskaja differenciacija stran Baltijskogo regiona [Population differentiation of the Baltic region], Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 1, p. 45—52.
10. Ob Osoboj jekonomicheskoj zone v Kaliningradskoj oblasti: Federal'nyj zakon ot 22 janvarja 1996 g. №13-FZ [On the Special Economic Zone in the Kaliningrad Region: Federal Law of January 22, 1996 №13-FZ],...
Theoretical Foundations of Sports Federation Pedagogical Management
The author examines the ‘sports federation pedagogical management' notion considering the theoretical foundations of sports federation pedagogical managing.
Э., Филиппов С.
Правовая информация в управлении физ
The Welfare State (Social State) in the Russian Federation as a Constitutional Principle and its Practical Implementation
The authors are investigating the content and practical implementation of the constitutional principle of the social (welfare) state in the Russian Federation, especially the relevant state measures supporting families, birth rate and migration. Legal research in this paper is also focused on the selected state projects realized in the contemporary Russia: state program of the maternity (family) ...
Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation in the Baltic region: the untapped potential
...?MOD=AJPERES (accessed 23.12.2013).
2. Ukaz Prezidenta Rossijskoj Federacii ot 4 ijunja 2008 g. № 889 «O nekotoryh merah po povysheniju jenergeticheskoj i jekologicheskoj jeffektivnosti rossijskoj jekonomiki» [Decree of the President of the Russian Federation dated June 4, 2008 № 889 «On measures to improve energy and environmental efficiency of the Russian
economy»], 2008, Reference and consultation system «Consultant Plus».
3. Rasporjazhenie Pravitel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii ot 13 nojabrja ...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
Signing the agreement on local border traffic (LBT) between the Republic of Poland and the Russian Federation was welcomed by experts as an important step towards the future visa-free regime between the European Union and the Russian Federation often discussed in the international dialogue. The three years of LBT mechanism have shown its practical ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
... identify the patterns of communicative and physical space com-pression using comparative mapping, statistical and historical research methods, and a model showing the spatial differentiation of regional socioeconomic charac-teristics in the Northwestern Federal District. The study focuses on border areas, where the following key manifestations of compression have been identified: trans-port connectivity, level of agriculture development, and depopulation. All these indicators of space compression process ...
Russia’s energy policy in the Baltic region: a geoeconomic approach
... Eurostat, available at: http://epp. eurostat. ec. europa. eu/portal/page/ portal/statistics/ search_dat abase (accessed 20 March 2013).
5. Vneshnjaja torgovlja [Foreign trade], Oficial'nyj sajt Goskomstata RF [Official site of Goskomstat of the Russian Federation], available at: http://www. gks. ru (accessed 20 March 2013).
6. Russia and EU-27: main statistics, Eurostat, available at: http://epp. eurostat.ec. europa. eu/statistics_explained/index. php/Russia-EU_ _basic_ statistical_ indicators/ru (accessed ...
Opportunities for studying cultural landscapes in the Kaliningrad region
27. Nordliches Ostpreussen, Konigsberger Gebiet in 27 deutschen topographiscen Karten im Masstab 1: 100 000. 1993. Bearbeitet von Fritz R. Barrаn.
1. Demograficheskij ezhegodnik, 2007 god. 2007.Territorial'nyj organ Federal'noj sluzhby gosudarstvennoj statistiki po Kaliningradskij oblasti. Kaliningrad.
2. Demograficheskij ezhegodnik, 2009 god. 2009.Territorial'nyj organ Federal'noj sluzhby gosudarstvennoj statistiki po Kaliningradskij oblasti. Kaliningrad.
3. Osnovnye ...
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
The article is dedicated to the problem of competitiveness of border regions as subjects of the Russian Federation having specific characteristics. The authors focus on the stages, during which border regions build their competitiveness, as well as analyse certain indices characterizing it. They examine the role of these regions in the development of international ...
Current Issues in the Geodemographic Studies in Russia
... 5, p. 75—80.
8. Koncepcija demograficheskogo razvitija Rossijskoj Federacii na period do 2015 goda. Odobrena rasporjazheniem Pravitel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii ot 24 sentjabrja 2001 goda N 1270-r [Concept of Demographic Development of the Russian Federation for the period until 2015. Approved by the Federal Government on September 24, 2001 N 1270-p], available at: http://businesspravo.ru/docum/ documshow_
documid_21649.html (accessed: 01.09.2013).
9. Kuznetsova, T. Yu. 2008, Geodemograficheskaja ...
The regional approach in the policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia
This author uses regionalism as a theoretical framework for analyzing the foreign policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia. Regionalism is interpreted as a situation, when a political leader’s beliefs change depending on what region of the world is considered. Leaders of great powers often assume that, for example, small European ...
Municipal Tax Autonomy under Conditions of Budget Federalism: Reform Experience in Italy and Russia
The article deals with the questions of the current legislative budget process of local autonomies in the Russian Federation and Italy. The current
budget process of an Italian autonomy is characterized by the growing role of municipal taxes and overall decline in public transfers. In the Russian Federation, municipal budgets depend crucially on the mechanism of ...
Geopolitical transformation of the Kaliningrad oblast of the Russian Federation
... barrier which helped the USSR to ensure the dependence of the Eastern Baltics and domination in Poland. After the Cold War, Kaliningrad Oblast, a territory of 15,000 square metres with a population of nearly one million people, owned by the Russian Federation and located the farthest to the West, although on the Baltic Sea, ashore became isolated from the motherland and turned into an exclave. Gradually the exclave found itself first at the crossroads of different security structures and later — ...
Regionalisation in Northern Europe and the Northern Dimension in Russian political discourse
... factor in successful region-building. The Northern Dimension (ND) programme, which was launched in 1997, embodied the principle of depoliticised cooperation — Europe’s ‘new regionalism’. This article aims to evaluate the role of the ND in the federal and regional political discourse of 1997—2016, to determine its place among other cross-border cooperation projects, and to follow changes in the understanding of its goals. The study relies on data from the Integrum agency, which has built ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
2. Borodin, E. V., Churin, D. A., Chernyshkov, P. P. 2014, Influence of dynamics of waters on biomass and distribution of biological resources of a pelagiala of the southern parts of the Atlantic and Quiet oceans, Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 7, p.142—154. (In Russ.)
3. Dedkov, V. P., Fedorov, G. M. 2006, Prostranstvennoe, territorial'noe i landshaftnoe planirovanie v Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Spatial, territorial and landscape planning in the Kaliningrad region], ...
The facilitation of freedom of movement between Russia and the European Union: prospects and legal issues
... p. 1—7.
3. Soobwenie press-sluzhby prezidenta RF ot 27.08.2002 g. o poslanijah prezidenta Rossii V. V. Putina predsedatelju Komissii Evropejskih soob-westv i glavam gosudarstvchlenov
Evrosojuza [The press service of the President of the Russian Federation of 27.08.2002, the Address of President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of the Commission of the European Communities and the heads of the EU member states], Izdanie
Ministerstva inostrannyh del Rossijskoj Federacii [Publication of the ...
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
... migrant workers in the CIS. Another focus is the restriction and support measures and how they have affected migrants. A range of qualitative and quantitative data was collated on the situation of migrant workers during Covid-19 restriction in the Russian Federation and across the CIS. The findings suggest that the lack of international coordination in tackling Covid-19 has complicated the situation of migrant workers, who suffer from the closure of borders and the absence of adequate social support. The ...