Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... the field of innovations], Balt. reg., no. 3, p. 88—97. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2011-3-9.
10. Kuznetsova, T.Yu., Gapanovich, A. V. 2012, Mezhdunarodnoe nauchnoe sotrudnichestvo v Baltijskom regione: naukometricheskij analiz [International research cooperation in the Baltic region: a scientometric analysis] Balt. reg., no. 4, p. 82—96. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-4-7.
11. Leitsin, V. N., Dmitriyeva, M. A. 2011, O perspektivah vzaimodejstvija rossijskoj i litovskoj innovacionnyh struktur [On the prospects of cooperation ...
Crossborder and trans-border cooperation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region
The forms of crossborder and transborder cooperation of mediumsized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region are described. The
description of wto European Union’s instruments for international cooperation in Baltic Sea Region is presented. The short analysis of participation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in projects of programmes for transborder and crossborder cooperation such as Interreg III B (Baltic Sea Region Neighbourhood Programme) and Interreg ...
Network Modelling of Transboundary Cooperation between Russian and Belarusian Regional Enterprises: the case of the Kaliningrad and Grodno Regions
... and the development of a complex cooperation programme. The working version of the model includes approximately 150 events. As to its purpose, it is a representation of a well-balanced established international coordination programme of transboundary cooperation at a level of two regions.
1. Bilchak, V. S. 2001, Prigranichnaja jekonomika [Frontier economics], Kaliningrad, Izdatel'stvo Kaliningradskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta.
2. Borodavkina, N. Yu. 2010, Osobennosti transgranichnogo sotrudnichestva subjektov predprinimatel'stva ...
Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region
... University of Russia, 354 p.
24. Korneevets, V. S. 2010, Klassifikacija prigranichnyh regionov Rossii [Classification of border regions of Russia], Regional'nye issledovanija [Regional studies], no. 4.
Batyk Iwona, Semenova Lyudmila
cross-border cooperation, Kaliningrad region, Warmian-Masurian voivodeship, tourism
The resource potential of transborder cooperation between the Kaliningrad and Grodno regions
In recent years, cooperation between the towns and regions of Belarus and Russia has increased significantly creating a solid foundation for integration. The author describes the main areas of cooperation between the Kaliningrad and Grodno regions, as well as the model of sequential and stepwise cooperation....
The traditions of Russian and European perception of the state frontier in the conditions of transborder regional cooperation
The article focuses on the state frontier in European and Russian political cultures as a major instrument for developing trans-border regional cooperation. The term ‘state frontier’ is defined through a prism of regional integration processes. The authors examine the role of trans-border relations between Russia and the European Union in promoting mutually beneficial strategic cooperation ...
The instruments of Russia — EU research and technological co-operation in the sphere of innovations
... Pol'sha — Kaliningradskaja oblast' Rossijskoj Federacii» [Prerequisites for the formation of cross-border region in the Neighbourhood Programme "Lithuania — Poland — Kaliningrad Region of the Russian Federation"], Region sotrudnichestva [Region of cooperation], no. 1 (55), p. 32—46.
innovations, international cooperation, tools for Russia-EU cooperation, European programmes, Russian foundations
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... ob#jasneniju fenomena [Network forms of inter-firm cooperation: approaches to the explanation of the phenomenon], Rossijskij zhurnal menedzhmenta [Russian Management Journal], no. 1, p. 77—102
29. Fedorov, G. M. 2013, Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 4—18. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-1-1.
30. Sheresheva, M.Yu. 2010, Formy setevogo vzaimodejstvija kompanij: kurs lekcij [Forms of networking companies: a course of lectures], Moscow, Publishing ...
Project approach in transboundary tourism-and-recreation region building: the case of Karelia
... society], no. 5-1 (24), p. 132—135 (in Russ.).
19. Kropinova, E. G. 2020, The Role of Tourism in Cross-Border Region Formation in the Baltic Region. In: Fedorov, G., Druzhinin, A., Golubeva, E., Subetto, D., Palmowski, T. (eds) Baltic Region — The Region of Cooperation, Springer Proceedings in Earth and Environmental Sciences, Springer, Cham. doi:
20. Nilsson, J. H., Eskilsson, L., Ek, R. 2010, Creating Cross-Border Destinations: Interreg Programmes and Regionalisation ...
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
... Polska polityka wschodnia a współpraca zagraniczna województwa warmińsko-mazurskiego, Olsztyn, Instytut Nauk Politycznych UWM, p. 55—63.
Mironyuk D. A., Żęgota K.
Russia, European Union, Russian-Polish relations, Россия, cross-border cooperation, Kaliningrad region, northeastern voivodeships, border checkpoints
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
... and Tornio. In: Bucken-Knapp, G., Schack, M. (eds.). Borders matter: transboundary regions in contemporary Europe, Copenhagen, Danish Institute of Border Region Studies, p. 59—72.
Anishenko Anatoly, Sergunin Alexander
twin cities, cross-border cooperation, the Baltic region
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
... resurgence of the ‘Region’ and ‘Regional Identity’: theoretical perspectives and empirical observations on regional dynamics in
in Review of International Studies. 2009. Vol. 35.
Pavliuk O., Klympush-Tsintsadze I.
Region, Cooperation and
The Historical Structure of Conflicts in the Baltic Area and the Long — term National Interests of Russia // Knudsen O. F. Stability and Security in the Baltic sea Region, Russian, Nordic ...
Intensification of Russian role in trans-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea region
Cross-border cooperation between administrative and municipal districts enlarges fast in the Baltic Sea macroregion. Intensification of Russian regions’ participation in such cooperation as well as formation of trans-border socio-economic systems may shift their development to the innovative type.
Oding N. Yu., Fedorov G. M.
transborder cooperation, Baltic Sea macroregion, innovative
development, cooperation, euroregions,...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... regions. We present a system of indices to describe cross-border specialization of interregional interaction in certain fields, namely investment, international trade, tourism, and migration. Cross-border specialization determines the role of cross-border cooperation in regional external relations. The empiric data we have gathered is used to develop and implement a pilot assessment of cross-border specialization of interregional relations which are characteristic of the border regions of the Northwestern Federal District ...
On trends in the development of cross-border cooperation in the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation
... of co-operation. Iss. 9 (34). Kaliningrad, 2004.
Mezhevich N. Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives // Baltic region. 2015. № 2 (24). P. 4—12.
Perkmann М. Cross-border regions in Europe. Significance and Drivers of Regional Cross-border Cooperation //
Urban and Regional Studies. 2003. № 10(2). P. 71—153.
Fedorov G. Border position as a factor of strategic and territorial planning in Russian regions in the Baltic // Baltic region. 2014. № 3 (21). P. 58—67.
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
....pl/resource/0f1a87ba-5ff2-48f4-80ba-c2f66dbd6360:JCR (accessed: 22.01.2016).
7. Bengtsson, R. 2016, Sweden and the Baltic Sea Region. In: Pierre, J. (ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Swedish Politics, Oxford, p. 442—461.
8. Brask, H. 2014, Governance crisis in the Baltic Sea region cooperation? April 24, available at: http://www.bdforum.org/hans-brask-governance-crisis-balticsea-region-cooperation/ (accessed 05.02.2016).
9. Communication From The Commission To The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic And Social ...
Problems and Prospects of Cross-Border Cooperation in Tourism between Russia and Europe
... Necessity of Changes in the System of Hospitality Industry and Tourism Training in Terms of Import Substitution, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, no. 6 (1), p. 288—293.
Zaitseva N. A., Kropinova E. G.
tourism, cross-border cooperation, diversification, regional development, economic cooperation, Russian Federation
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
... praktiki upravlenija, no. 11, p. 18—29.
4. Pavlov, K. V. 2011, Razrabotka metodiki ocenki sostojanija proektov i programm mezhregional'nogo prigranichnogo sotrudnichestva [Development of methodology for evaluation of projects and programs, inter-border cooperation],
Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 6, p. 2—8.
5. Vardomskij, L. B. 2009, Rossijskoe porubezh'e v uslovijah globalizacii, Moscow, Knizhnyj dom «Librokom», 216 p.
Bazhenov Yuri, Podshuvejt Olga
international economic cooperation, international ...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
....php/EMRP_IJ/article/view/5/22 (accessed 21 September 2012).
16. Weidenfeld, A. 2013, Tourism and cross border regional innovation, Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 42, p. 191—213.
tourism innovations, regional development, cross-border cooperation, regional economy, Russia-EU international cooperation, tourism development in the Baltic region
The European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and accomplishments
... Strategy: marine protection, better interconnection of the region and growing prosperity. The essence of cooperation involves joint development plans on various levels: governmental, regional and local with the participation of research institutions, regional cooperation infrastructure, operational programmes, as well as the private sector. Political stabilisation and economic development may transform, in a longer time span, the emerging transnational Baltic Europe into a new economic and cultural European ...
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
... Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the South-East Baltic. The author makes the conclusion about the need to increase the share of innovative projects with the participation of the regions of North-West of Russia; actors fr om the Nordic countries, wh ere regional cooperation is an important engine for innovation development, should be actively involved in these projects.
1. Инновационная деятельность и трансграничное сотрудничество в регионе «Соседства» ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... This took a toll on the efficiency of cooperation between the cities of Russia’s North-West and their Baltic counterparts. Therefore, it is important to seize the opportunities provided by the information society and focus on the innovative areas of regional cooperation. An interesting example is the partnership between Baltic universities, which is aimed to draw up an international agenda for sustainable regional development. Baltic cities are involved in various forms of cross-border cooperation, providing ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... eu/project-partners (accessed 20 September 2012).
20. ICTforHealth. Information Communication Technology, available at: http:// www. ictforhealth. net/index. php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid =27 (accessed 20 September 2012).
21. Complex development of regional cooperation in the field of open ICT innovations, KARELIA ENPI CBC, available at: http://www. kareliaenpi. eu/fi/teemat/cross-border-solutions/hankkeet/154-complex-development-of-regional-cooperation-in-the-field-of-open-ict-innovations (accessed 17 September ...
Current and Prospective Transport Connections between Poland’s Border Voivodeships and Russia’s Kaliningrad Region
Transport is an important tool to support interregional cross-border cooperation. Moreover, transport is a traditional area of cooperation between neighbouring regions. In this study, we analyse the features and configuration of today’s transport links between Russian and Polish border regions and examine a range of transport projects aimed at a more diversified and intensive cooperation. We believe that priority ...
Implementation of the INTERREG program in the Kaliningrad region and neighboring countries: a brief overview
... «Russia — Lithuania» Interreg Cross-Border Cooperation (CBC) Programme 2014—2020 and «Poland — Russia» Interreg CBC Programme 2014—2020 have been the research subjects. The authors have identified the most active actors of cross-border cooperation from the Kaliningrad region and the border regions of Lithuania and Poland and have compared the outcomes with the results of the previous Cross-Border Cooperation (CBC) Programmes. The research has recognized the municipalities constantly participating in the projects,...
Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation in the Baltic region: the untapped potential
... between them. Energy efficiency cooperation also transforms the patterns of the EU-Russia legal harmonization, creates new conditions for the convergence of regulations and the development of the middle class in Russia. Due to its specific features, cooperation in the Baltic Sea region becomes a locomotive of the Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation, and, as a result, is capable of changing the quality of relations between the partners.
1. Energy Efficiency in Russia: Untapped Reserves, 2013, World Bank Group, no date, p....
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... as research tools are not sufficient, which is explained by the dynamic nature of network cooperation as well as the fact that it involves a significant number of independent agents. We believe that one of the important tools of research on network cooperation is regional integral geoinformation systems (GIS). Modern GIS are successfully used in related fields, such as environmental and climate studies, geology, urban studies, and serve as rather efficient tools of analysing spatial objects and phenomena. One ...
The Kaliningrad Region: Challenges of the Exclave Position and Ways to Offset Them
... the old ones. The article investigates the reaction of the region’s economy to the challenges of its exclave position and considers possible measures to offset related problems in the current geopolitical situation. The article employs statistics, regional strategies, cross-border cooperation programmes, and expert interviews conducted by the authors in Kaliningrad in 2012—2014. The vast body of empirical data is instrumental in analysing the views of different stakeholders and estimating the problems and prospects of the region’s ...
Spatio-temporal patterns of knowledge transfer in the borderland
... involvement in transboundary research cooperation varies widely across Russia’s border regions.
Mikhaylov, А. S., Wendt, J. A., Peker, I. Yu., Mikhaylova, А. А.
knowledge geography, border region, borderland, knowledge transfer, cross-border cooperation, Baltic region
The External Economic Factor in the Development of Northwestern Regions: Institutional Support and an Impact Assessment
... the federal district’s geographical position and transport connections, the ‘Nordic’ character of the economy shared by the Russian and neighbouring territories, and the multi-tier nature of the institutional framework for international economic cooperation in the international region.
Andreeva E. L., Ratner A. V., Myslyakova Y. G., Glukhikh P. L.
external economic development factor, institutional support, Russia’s North- West, international interregional cooperation, Nordic Europe, features of Nordic regions
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
... University, 2016, available at:
Mezhevich N., Kretinin G., Fedorov G.
Baltic Sea region, coastal areas, international cooperation, internal structure of region, Russian in the Baltic region, economic cooperation development
Cross-Border Cooperation in the Kaliningrad region: Problems and Prospects
... should be linked to the regional development strategies of the neighboring territories. Efficient use of both Russian and the EU funds will help develop a new technology for regional development of North-West Russia.
the Kaliningrad region, cross-border cooperation, the European Union (EU), the Interreg program “Lithuania, Poland, Russia: 2007-2013”, “The Baltic Sea region” programme
Cross-border cooperation between nongovernmental organisations in the Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian voivodeships
... eu/assets/files/PRZEDSIEBIORCZOSC/Kondycja_III_sekt_2005.pdf (accessed 15 February 2013).
22. Dementiev, I. 2012, Nepravitel'stvennye organizacii v Kaliningradskoj oblasti i vozmozhnosti sotrudnichestva s pol'skimi organizacijami [Nongovernmental organizations in the Kaliningrad region and the possibility of cooperation with Polish organizations], available at: http://www. zagranica. ngo. pl/files/go2east. ngo. pl/ public/organizacje_pozarzadowe_w_obwodzie_ kaliningradzkim.pdf (accessed 15 February 2013).
23. RITA. Program przemiany w regionie [RITA. Program ...
On the potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations
... (accessed 20 January 2011).
8. Fedorov, G. М. 2011, Severo-Zapad Rossii: potencial i napravlenija rossijsko-litovskogo sotrudnichestva v sfere nauki i innovacij [The Northwest of Russia: the potential and areas of Russian-Lithuanian research and innovation cooperation],
Baltijskij region [Baltic Region], no. 2 (8), p. 64—79. doi: 10.5922/2074-9848-2011-2-7
9. Chubais, А. 2010, Stroitel'stvo innovacionnoj jekonomiki v Rossii: popytka osmyslenija [The construction of an innovative economy in Russia: an attempt at comprehension],...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
This article focuses on the historic prerequisites and forms of international cooperation in the Baltic region (“Baltic cooperation”). According to the author, Baltic Europe is being formed as a single administrative, economic, cultural and infrastructural area, which could become a new economic and cultural center of Europe. Special emphasis is given to policies and ...
The basic trends in the development of bilateral trade between the Kaliningrad and Grodno regions
This article examines foreign trade activities between the cooperating regions of the Union State of Russia and Belarus determined by the bilateral convergence of national economies for solving common economic problems and developing regional economies. The author identifies the degree of present cooperation, explores possible ...
Perspectives of Euroregions with Russian Participation in Terms of Changes in the EU Regional Policy
Policy — Inforegio. European Territorial Co-operation. URL
Neighbourhood & Partnership Instrument. Cross-Border Cooperation. Strategy Paper 2007—2013. Indicative Programme 2007—2010. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/country/enpi_cross-border_cooperation_strategy_paper_en....
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... largely a reflection of the features and problems of Russia’s regional policy as a whole. Currently, the development of cross-border cooperation is affected more strongly by national security concerns than by economic growth considerations. Cross-border cooperation is no longer part of the regional policy. Border regions, however, have received an increasing proportion of federal investments in recent years, particularly, amid the reunification with the Crimea. The study calls for better coordination between different areas of the federal ...
Cross-border Cooperation as a Mechanism of Regional Marketing in the Baltic Region
... 2004. 15 (3). Р. 195—209.
17. Vargo S. L., Lusch R. F. The Four Service Marketing Myths: Remnants of a Goods-Based, Manufacturing Model // Journal of Service Research. 2004. 6 (4). Р. 324—335.
Davidov Denis, Chekalina Tatyana
cross-border cooperation, cross-border regionalisation, Euroregion, regional brand, Baltic Sea Region
Trends in cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarusian regions
This article deals with the possible areas of cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarussian regions. The author identifies the main results of cooperation between the countries in trade, transport, science, and social relations. The article proposes four possible scenarios of cooperation, which can ensure a rational use of the regions’ potentials....
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... ES v innovacionnoj sfere na Baltike [The potential for cooperation between Russia and the EU in innovation in the Baltic Sea] // Regional'nye issledovanija [Regional studies], no. 3,p. 57—64.
13. Fedorov, G. M. 2013, Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU, Baltic Region, no. 1 (15), p. 4—18. doi:10.5922/ 2079-8555-2013-1-1.
14. Filippov, P. N. 2005, Internalizacija mezhotraslevyh kompleksov (na primere jenergeticheskih klasterov Severo-zapada Rossii i Finljandii) ...
The role of the Kaliningrad region in the development of Russian-German relations
... available at: http://kaliningrad.gks.ru (accessed 10 September 2011).
4. Fedorov, G. М., Zverev, Yu. М. 1995, Kaliningradskie al'ternativy [Kaliningrad alternatives], Kaliningrad.
Fedorov Gennady, Gorodkov Mikhail, Zhukovsky Igor
Russian-German cooperation, Baltic region, Germany, Kaliningrad region, Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
... efficient platform for harmonizing its Baltic strategy with that of the EU. The causes of the current deadlock in EU — Russian relations regarding the Baltic are analyzed. The author formulates policy recommendations on fostering Russian-European cooperation in the Baltic Sea region. These recommendations range from the suggestion of joint revisions of mutual conceptual perceptions and strategic goals pursued by the EU and Russia in the Baltic Sea region to more practical measures in the institutional, administrative, and ...
Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West
Developing cross-border tourist routes is an effective way of developing cooperation between border regions of Russia and the neighbouring countries. The author presents an approach that interprets cross-border tourist routes as an instrument for the conservation, reproduction, and promotion of natural, cultural, and historical potential and as a means ...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... Przegląd geopolityczny, Vol. 5, p. 9—40.
47. Mączak, A., Samsonowicz, H. 1962, Z zagadnień genezy rynku europejskiego: strefa bałtycka, Przegląd historyczny, no. 52/2, p. 198—222.
48. Makarychev, A., Sergunin, A. 2017, Russia’s role in regional cooperation and the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EUSBSR), Journal of Baltic Studies, Special Issue, p. 1—15.
49. Moilannen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to Brand Nations, Cities and Destinations: A Planning Book for Place Destination, New York,...
Tourism in Border Regions: Theoretical Aspects of a Geographical Study
... using its findings in developing tourism development programmes for border territories in contemporary Russia.
1. Apostolov, N. 2003, Turisticheski resursi [Tourism resources], Varna, 388 p. (In Bulg.)
2. Batyk, I., Semenova, L. 2013, Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region, Balt. Reg., no. 3, p. 77—85. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-3-8.
3. Gavrilova, I. I., Gorevaya, M. I. 2012, The impact of tourism on the economic development of the border region (on the example of the Amur region), Mezhdistsiplinarnye issledovaniya ...
Peculiarities of Transboundary Cooperation between the Kaliningrad Region’s Business Entities
This article reveals various aspects of regional transboundary cooperation including foreign trade, investment climate, and implementation of transboundary infrastructure projects financed by European funds. The analysis conducted is based on the results of transboundary cooperation with the participation of Kaliningrad ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
... documents defining the principles and scope of marine planning and analyse recent research works into spatial development. We conclude that marine spatial planning is a principal tool of the EU’s integrated policy. Many European countries of the Baltic region are seeking cooperation with Russia to preserve the natural and economic environment of the Baltic Sea. Most joint spatial planning projects have been initiated by Finland, Sweden, Germany, and Poland.
Palmowski T., Tarkowski M.
Baltic Sea region, European ...
The foreign policy of Poland and the Kaliningrad region in 1989—2012
... wiek — era kryzysu czy odnowy kulturowej i politycznej świata? [Twenty-first century — the era of crisis and renewal of cultural and political world?] Olsztyn, pp. 7—12.
Chełminiak Marcin, Kotowicz Wojciech
Polish foreign policy, crossborder cooperation, Kaliningrad region
The development of a Russian-Polish cross-border region: the role of the Kaliningrad agglomeration and the Tri-City (Gdansk—Gdynia—Sopot)
... and the West, there is hope that bilateral socio-economic benefits will encourage the restoration and development of collaborations and the Russian—Polish cross-border region will continue to evolve.
Palmowski T., Fedorov G. M.
cross-border cooperation; cross-border region, Kaliningrad, Kaliningrad agglomeration, Tri-City, Gdansk, University of Gdansk, Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University