The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... assessing the competitiveness of the region, Aktual'nye problemy ekonomiki sovremennoi Rossii [Actual problems of modern Russia's economy], no. 3, p. 174—179. (in Russ.)
Bazhenov Y. N., Elsukov M. Y., Podshuveit O. V.
foreign economic potential of the region, competitiveness of the region, foreign trade, territorial brand
Competitiveness of the region: content, factors, policies
The article describes a framework conception of regional competitiveness. The notion of regional competitiveness as well as approaches to the classification of competitiveness factors are considered in detail. The author elaborates a set of indicators of regional competitiveness. The article also dis-cusses three groups of factors which can influence ...
The assessment and factors of increase in innovative competitiveness of Latvian regions
... competitiveness: the case of Latvia, Reģionālais ziņojums. Pētījumu materiāli [Regional Report. Research materials], no. 5, Daugavpils.
4. Rachko, E. 2010, Opit ocenki konkurentosposobnosti regionalnoj ekonomiki Latviji [Experience in evaluation of the competitiveness of the regional economy of Latvia.]. In: Kosiedowski, W. (ed.), Kapital ludzki w procesie przemian europy srodkowej i wschodnej. Aspekty makroekonomiczne i regionalne, Torun, Wydawnictwo “Dom Organizatora”.
5. Schenfelde, M. N., Denisov, M. V. 2008, Sravnenie ...
Competitive effects of low trade barriers: evaluations for the Kaliningrad region
... pro-competitive effect to vary from region to region. This analysis tests the hypothesis that the unique geographical position and economic status of the Kaliningrad region contribute to the rapid development of international trade, which, in turn, exerts competitive pressure on regional prices. The study incorporates two major lines of analysis: a) a comparison of the international trade growth rates of different Russian regions; b) an assessment of the influence of Russian and European prices on the consumer price index as well as prices for particular tradable goods in the Kaliningrad ...
A methodological approach to the typology of regions on the basis of competitiveness evaluation
This article offers an approach to the typology of regions based on competitiveness as an integral index of socioeconomic development. The author justifies the key criteria of systematization – the level and dynamics of competitiveness.The regions of three federal districts of the Russian Federation were grouped and competitive and problem regions were identified on the basis of earlier (2002-2011) calculated data on competitiveness.
1. Чернова Т. В. Экономическая ...
Assessing competitiveness of the Baltic states in tourism
... competitiveness is a live issue in the Baltic region, where tourism is an important part of the economy and a factor in improving living standards. This study advances the hypothesis that the methodology developed by the author will aid in assessing the tourism competitiveness of the Baltic region states. The research aims to assess the competitiveness of the Baltic tourism industries. It reviews methodologies for assessing the competitiveness of tourism industries and presents an original nine-step methodology for comprehensive assessment ...
Country Competitiveness: an Empirical Study
7. Doyle, P., Saunders, J. Wong, V. 1992, Competition in Global Markets — A Case-Study of American and Japanese Competition in the British Market, Journal of International Business Studies, Vol. 23, no. 3, p. 419—442.
8. Fedyunina A. A. 2016, Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies, Balt. Reg., Vol. 8, no. 3, p. 70—83. DOI: 10.5922/2074-9848-2016-3-6....
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... available at: http://economy.gov.ru/minec/activity/
sections/fcp/rasp_2008_N1662_red_08.08.2009# (accessed 06.01.2015).
10. Kuzmin, D. I., Sokolovsky, А. А. 2012, Konkurentosposobnost' regiona i ee faktory (na primere Krasnojarskogo kraja) [The competitiveness of the region and its factors (for example, the Krasnoyarsk Territory)], Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Tomsk State University], no. 356, p. 135—139.
11. Mingaleva, Zh. А., Gershanok, G. А. 2012, Ustojchivoe razvitie regiona: ...
Сompetitive environment, business activity, and consumer sentiment: the regional aspect
The methodological issues of assessing regional competition, business activity, and consumer confidence are considered as part of a study of regional competitive environment. The results of an analysis of national and international practices in assessing parameters describing competition, competitive environment, business activity, and consumer sentiment are presented in the article. An approach to monitoring business activity ...
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... of international trade and economic relations, cross-border cooperation and international integration, taking the North-west federal district and the Republic of Karelia as a case-study. The article describes the mechanisms of building and increasing competitiveness of border regions in today’s Russia both in general and, particularly, in the Republic of Karelia as a border region of the North-west federal district.
регионов: теоретико-прикладные аспекты / под ред. Ю.
Tools for evaluating the competitiveness of innovative clusters
... and nanosystems in Catania (Italy). The results of employing the methodology are examined from the perspective of its possible use in evaluating the competitiveness of innovative clusters in the Russian Federation. Early recommendations on adapting the methodology are produced.
Akhunzhanova I. N., Tomashevskaya Yu. N., Osipov D. V.
innovation cluster; regional cluster; evaluation of competitiveness; cluster projects; Silicon Saxony cluster
Development of Sea Port in Gdynia
Seaports operate on a highly competitive global transport market. To retain its competitive position a port (terminal) must strengthen its competitive advantages in all fields of activity. Ports are to expand and modernize their infrastructure and superstructure, and develop links with the hinterland and the foreland. The article describes how the port of Gdynia manages ... ... Service of Port Hinterland at Turn of XX and XXI Centuries], Regiony Nadmorskie [Coastal Regions], no. 23, p. 7—198.
4. Chang, H-J. 2002, Breaking the mould: an institutionalist...
An assessment of the influence of economic crisis on the development of regions on the basis of integral current competitiveness index
This article is the first to suggest performing diagnostics and analysis of the influence of crisis phenomena on socioeconomic development of regionswith the help of an approach based on quantitative assessment of the current competitiveness of the region. The author offers calculations of integral development indices for three regions of three different federal districts of the Russian Federation for 2007-2010, as well as an analysis of the degree, to which regional economies were affected by the ...
The organisational model of assessing the influence of vocational education on the competitiveness of small enterprises in the region
This article emphasises the importance and focuses on the content of the organisational-logical model of the assessment of the influence of vocational training on the competitiveness of small enterprises in the region. By means of the target programme method and on the basis of integral expert reviews, the author built a model of the increase in regional vocational training influence on the development and competitiveness of small enterprises.
Knowledge Management and the Increase of SME Competitiveness: a Case Study
The need to enhance the competitiveness and innovation capacity of small and medium enterprises is one of the key objectives of emerging EU economies. In this regard, the authors define the role of knowledge in enhancing business competitiveness in a regional economy. The effect of knowledge management processes on the economic activity of businesses in the Latvian region of Latgale is considered. To assess the role of knowledge and knowledge management processes, the authors apply integrated metrics calculated with the help ...
Network Transformations in Economy
... Institute of British Geographers. 2004. № 29. P. 468—484.
12. Contractor F., Lorange P. Cooperative Strategies in International Business. Lexington, Mass. : Lexington Books, 1988.
13. Cooke P. Enterprise Support Policies in Dynamic European Regions: Policy Implications for Ireland, paper presented at NESC seminar, Sustaining Competitive Advantage, NESC Research Series. March 1998, Dublin.
14. De Bresson C., Amesse F. Networks of innovators: a review and introduction to the issue // Research Policy. 1991. № 20(5). P. 363—379.
15. Dore R. Goodwill and the Spirit of Market Capitalism // British Journal of Sociology. 1983. № 34. P. 459—82.
16. Economides N. The economics of networks // International Journal ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... Advancing the Study of Innovation and Globalization in Organizations. Nuremberg, 2009. P. 301—314.
77. Westermark K. Proximity and learning in internationalisation Small Swedish IT firms in India. Stockholm, 2013. P. 204.
78. Yeung H. W. C. Situating regional development in the competitive dynamics of global production networks: an East Asian perspective // Regional Studies. 2009. № 43. P. 325—351.
Mikhaylov A. S.
spatial networking, regional networking, territorial community, interaction border
Cluster policy as a mechanism to increase regional competitiveness
Today, cluster policy is the most efficient tool to improve the competitiveness of territory economies. International practice offers a wide range of cluster policies. This article discusses different approaches to classification of cluster policies and emphasizes the advantages of cluster policy for achieving regional strategic goals.
1. Методические рекомендации по реализации кластерной ...
Some Aspects of Economic Security of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region under Conditions of Geo-Economic Uncertaint
... also use other parameters pertinent to the evaluation of the state of an economy amid geoeconomic uncertainty, in this case, in the conditions of the crisis of 2014—2016, brought about by both external and internal factors. I employ the concept of the triad of regional economic competitiveness, regional economic security, and sustainable regional socio-economic development. I believe that this triad does not only demonstrate the logic of the current and prospective development of a Russian region but also highlights weaknesses ...
Clusters in the system of economic and innovation development of agriculture in the Rostov Region and the Krasnodar Region
The issue of regional development involves the study of growth drivers in a competitive, innovative and open environment. In these conditions, cluster forms of integration are considered as centers of economic and innovative regional development. The article examines a specialized agro-industrial complex that is developing ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... (accessed 30.10.2014)
29. Emerson, R. M., Berger, J., Zelditch, M., Anderson, B. 1972, Exchange Theory, Part II: Exchange Relations and Networks, Sociological Theories in Progress, Vol. 2, p. 58—87.
30. Enright, M. J. 1993, The geographic scope of competitive advantage. In: Driven, E., Groenewegen, J., van Hoof, S. (eds.), Stuck in the Region? Changing scales for regional identity, Utrecht, p. 87—102.
31. Gertler, M. S. 2003, Tacit knowledge and the economic geography of context, or The undefinable tacitness of being (there), Journal of Economic Geography, no. 3, p. 75—99.
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... governance: perspectives on a new urban policy paradigm // Policy Options. 2004. Febr. P. 39—44.
15. Brette O., Chappoz Y. The French competitiveness clusters: Toward a new public policy for innovation and research? // J. of Economic Issues. 2007. № 41 (2). P. 391—398.
16. Butler J. E., Hansen G. S. Network evolution, entrepreneurial success, and regional development // Entrepreneurship and Regional Development. 1991. № 3 (1). P. 1—16.
17. Caramani D. Comparative Politics....
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
... and transmitting messages.
1. Scarlet Sails "recognized the best urban event in Europe, 2016, Radio Baltika, available at:
(accessed 01.03.2017). (in Russ.)
2. Grinchel, B. M. 2012, Competitive advantages and competitive potential of the regions of the North-West, Vestnik INZhEKONA= Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstvennogo ekonomicheskogo universiteta. Seriya ekonomika [Herald of INJEChON. Series of economics = Bulletin of the St. Petersburg State Economic University], no. 3 (54),...
The methodology of assessing the strategic competitiveness of municipalities: an integral approach (the case of the Kaliningrad region)
The authors present a methodology for assessing the competitiveness of municipalities on the basis of an integrated approach. The validity of the method of integrated assessment of the competitiveness of municipalities is demonstrated in the case of the Kaliningrad region. The authors use a complex of statistical data on the condition of economy and major spheres of human activity in municipalities....
Opportunities and Challenges of Large Investment Projects in the New Economy: the Port of Ust-Luga
... the construction of a multipurpose multimodal complex — the commercial seaport of Ust-Luga. This is one of the most recent large projects in seaport infrastructure development. This article estimates the project’s significance for the development of the Baltic region and presents a competitive analysis of the seaport position in comparison to the largest European ports. The authors analyze the strengths of the seaport construction project, namely, the favorable natural environment and climate, advantageous geographical position,...
The system approach to modernisation and innovative regional development: strategic objectives
... innovacionnoj pauze i strategija modernizacii
[Innovation pause hypothesis and modernization strategy], Voprosy ekonomiki [Problems of Economics], no. 6, p. 4—23.
9. Porter, М. 1993, Mezhdunarodnaja konkurencija [International competition], Moscow.
10. Pushkarenko, А. B. 2010, Podderzhka innovacionno-aktivnyh predprijatij v regionah [Support for innovative enterprises in the regions], ECO, no. 6, p. 53—61.
11. Untura, G. А. 2010, Proekcija krizisa na innovacii v Rossii: teorija i realii [The projection ...
Assessment of Innovation and Investment Activity in the Region
... construction of regional innovation systems, technological development of the economy, more efficient knowledge distribution,
and the formation of competitive advantages.
. Институциональная экономика: учебное ... ... Экономическое поведение и институты. М., 2005.
innovation-investment activity, regional innovation system, innovation, innovation potential,
The potential for expanding inter-cluster cooperation between the ship-building industries of Estonia, Finland, and North-West Russia
The shipbuilding industry clusters in the Eastern Baltic Sea region, i. e. Estonia, Finland and North-West Russia, may benefit significantly from ... ... the international networks between the clusters are still poorly developed. The aim of this article is to analyse the preconditions for cluster internationalization between... ..., no. 1078.
9. Ketels, C. 2012, The impact of clusters and networks of firms on EU competitiveness, Final Report: Firm networks (May 2012), Studies in the Area of Competitiveness...
The innovative process in the Baltic Sea region
... Institute on Innovation and Technology UNU-MERIT 2011, Innovation Union Scoreboard 2011, The Innovation Union’s performance scoreboard for Research and Innovation, 7 February... ... July 2012).
10. Miles, I. 2010, Demand-led innovation, Mini Study 11, Global Review of Innovation Intelligence and Policy Studies, March 2010, available at: http://gripspublic... ....int/pressroom/en/articles/2011/article_0004.html (accessed 10 July 2012).
Baltic Sea region, competitiveness, innovation, innovation environment, innovation drivers, education,...
The Kaliningrad Region as a Potential Coastal Transport Cluster
... transport clusters. This form of spatial organisation is better adapted (in comparison to a transport complex) to the ever-changing conditions of a competitive market. It suggests that all business entities of the territory interact thus increasing the competitiveness of transport cluster as a whole. The Kaliningrad region is one of the territories where the formation of an efficient international transport cluster is possible. This article offers a definition of a transport cluster and describes its internal organisation as well as the features of formation thereof ...
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
The existing theoretical and empirical literature focusing on interconnections between ... ... provides ample evidence pertaining to nations and industries. However, another dimension of trade liberalisation — the assessment of the level of national or regional development — needs further research. This article sets out to analyse theoretical... ... international trade contributes to higher growth rates in the regions, having globally competitive national industries. The conclusions presented in this article can be used...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... 1—2 «Rossija: karty budushhego » ["Russia: map of the future"].
17. Pylypenko, I. V. 2003, Analiz osnovnyh zarubezhnyh teorij konkurentosposobnosti stran i regionov v mirovom hozjajstve [Analysis of the main theories of international
competitiveness of countries and regions in the world economy], Izvestija Akademii Nauk. Ser. Geograficheskaja [Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences.
Ser. geographical], no. 6, p. 15—25.
18. Prostranstvennaja organizacija hozjajstva: TPK ili Klastery? [The spatial organization of the economy: ...
In pursuit of an innovation development trajectory of the Kaliningrad region
Amid growing inter-state competition, national innovation policies are increasingly seeking to promote the development of regional innovation systems to intensify innovative processes and to enhance the economic competitiveness of territories. An efficient regional innovation policy requires a territorial adaptive approach to the development of mechanisms for innovating socio-spatial systems. These mechanisms should take into account the specific features and inalienable resources of territories. Whereas ...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
... regional innovation systems: What does evolutionary economic geography bring to the policy table? // Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space. 2017. № 35 (4). P. 600—620. doi: 10.1177/0263774X16646583.
18. Cooke P., Boekholt P., Todtling F. The Governance of Innovation in Europe. Regional Perspectives on Global Competitiveness. L., 2000.
19. Cooke P. N., Heidenreich M., Braczyk H.-J. Regional Innovation Systems: The role of governance in a globalized world. Oxford, 2004.
20. Doloreux D., Porto-Gomez I. P. A review of (almost) 20 years of regional innovation ...
The competitiveness of the Irkutsk region in the world tourism market
... positive impact on the national and regional economies of recipient countries thus it is necessary to develop this sector in the countries and regions that have a potential to attract foreign tourists. The purpose of this article is to estimate the competitiveness of the Irkutsk region on the world tourism market based on an analysis of various factors. In particular, the authors examine the impact of natural, geographical, and climatic factors and the region’s cultural and historical potential. Another focus is the present ...
National and Regional Competitiveness
On the competitiveness of regions in economic space
Shekhovtseva L. S.
The current problems of research on the competitiveness of the enterprises of the Kaliningrad region
Equivocality in Delineating the Borders of a Cluster: The Baltic’s Case
Increasing competition between states striving to integrate into the global economic system has created a need for a spatially targeted regional policy as a means of boosting national competitiveness. The regional polarisation approach, which seeks to create new and support the existing nodes of a regional economic system — clusters, technopoles, industrial districts, etc., — has gained wide currency in public administration. The heralds of such forms ...
Factors and features of innovative development of the Republic of Crimea
The innovative development of a region is the essential condition for increasing its competitiveness. The reintegration of the Republic of Crimea into the Russian Federation requires considerable efforts aimed at overcoming external geo-economic barriers in socio-economic development, as well as at revitalizing the economic activities ...
Competition and cooperation problems in the energy sector of the Baltic region
This article considers the problems of competition and cooperation in the field of energy in the Baltic region, first of all, those related to the export of Russian oil and oil products, the Nord Stream gas pipeline, and the construction of nuclear plants in Poland, the Kaliningrad region, Lithuania, and Belarus. The author shows that, though Russia and ...
Innovation performance of Russia’s Northwestern regions: a comparative evaluation
Innovative activities underpin the economic development and competitiveness of Russian regions. This article seeks to compare the innovation performance of Russia’s north-western regions, which are among the most progressive in the country, and their available resource. A review of the literature suggests that most Russian publications ...
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... the Kaliningrad region into the tourist system of the Baltics. This study aims to conduct a comparative analysis of the processes relating to the development of international tourism in Lithuania in the context of the Baltic States. We also carry out the comparison of regional competitive factors and trace the patterns for further development of international tourism in Lithuania in the framework of cross-border and transborder cooperation.
1. Agenda 21: Baltic Sea Region Tourism. Baltic 21 Tourism Group, 1998, Baltic 21 ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
... zona [World experience "import processing zones" and the Kaliningrad special economic zone], Region sotrudnichestva [Region cooperation], no. 1, p.13—32.
19. Fedorov, G. M., Korneevets, V. S. 2009, Trans-Border Regions in the System of the Regional Hierarchy: the Systemic Approach, Balt. Reg., no. 2, p. 26—33.
20. Competitive Position of the Baltic States Ports, 2011, KPMG Baltics SIA, November, available at: www.kpmg.com/EE/et/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications (accessed 07.06.2015).
Lachininskii S., Semenova I.
global coastal city, St. Petersburg, Baltic region, ports, coastal ...
The development of science as a factor in the Kaliningrad region innovative security
... region, having undergone a major structural adjustment in the 1990s, is currently in its formative stage, and the research sector makes a significant contribution to its formation. Both the strengths of the research component of the innovation system of the Kaliningrad region — its competitive advantages, and the weaknesses — threats to its innovative security, are defined.
1. Анализ изобретательной активности в регионах Российской Федерации. 2015. Роспатент....
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
This article addresses the problem of definition and identification of clusters as localized mesoeconomic systems with ... ... type of organisation, the development of mesoeconomic systems is closely connected to competition for innovative rent. The article outlines the methodology for cluster studies, which makes it possible to consider such relatively new to the regional science phenomena as innovative and “transborder” clusters.
On Russian/Nordic Investment Competition in the Baltic States
The researchers often overlook the relationships between Russian and Nordic investment capital; and even less attention is paid to studying the competition between the two. Yet this subject can be of particular relevance to the areas that are geographically, historically and culturally ... ... Nordic capital, investment, market development theory, energy, banking, real estate, the regional dimension, the investment climate, EU
On Sources and Mechanisms of Coastal Area Self-development
... proves that the main internal catalyst of regional economic development is entrepreneurship functioning on the basis of genetic-cultural determination. The author comes to the conclusion that an efficient regional economic policy aimed at the increase in the region’s competitiveness should rest, first of all, on the development of intellectual capital and the corresponding human capital, the revival and strengthening of the economic role of technocracy and small innovative enterprises.
The Role of Public Companies in Creating a Platform for Economic Growth in Saint Petersburg
... short of best practices. The authors conclude that there is a need to improve knowledge of corporate relations, which affect competitiveness and the raising of funds necessary for sustainable economic growth in Saint Petersburg.
Kuznetsov S. V., Rastova Y. I., Sushcheva N. V.
economic growth, strategy for regional socioeconomic development, investment resources, public joint-stock companies, corporate governance
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
Regardless of the geography of regions, management at the regional level, both in Russia and the Baltic Sea countries, faces many challenges. Hence, it is necessary ... ....2016).
15. Porter, M. 2005, Konkurentnoe preimushchestvo: Kak dostich' vysokogo rezul'tata i obespechit' ego ustoichivost' [Competitive advantage: How to obtain a high result and to provide its stability], Moscow, 454 p. (In Russ.)
16. Raizberg, B. A....