The fifth wave of the European Union enlargement: pro et contra
... sud'bonosnyj vybor [The fifth enlargement of the EU: a fateful choice], Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 59—87.
4. Butorina, О. V. (ed.), 2003, Evropejskij sojuz: spravochnik [The European Union: a guide], Moscow.
5. Zlokazova, N. 2004, Rasshirenie ES: za i protiv s pozicij ego chlenov [EU Enlargement: the pros and cons from the standpoint of its members], Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya [World Economy and International ...
Supranational party system of the EU
The article confirms the hypothesis that a multiplicity of parties of the European and national levels forms the party system of the European Union (EU). The authors describe the main characteristics of Europarties and political groups comprised of them as key actors in the European Parliament’s (EP) political and legislative processes. The authors adopt the institutional approach and make ...
The development of cooperation between the European Union and Russia on migration issues: from „the „common spaces” to the actual implementation
... assesses the main results of its implementation, such as the Readmission and Visa Facilitation agreements. Moreover, it stresses the role of Russia as an agenda-setter of the EU migration agenda in the Eastern Europe.
1. Averre, D. 2005, Russia and the European Union: Convergence or Divergence?, European Security, no. 14 (2), p. 175—202.
2. Barbé, E., Costa, O., Herranz, A., Johansson-Nogués, E., Natorski, M., and Sabiote, M. A. 2010, Drawing the neighbours closer… to what? Explaining emerging patterns ...
Civil protection in the EU and its effect on the safety of the Baltic region
..., 2010, Chapter 7: Protection of persons in the event of disasters, 3 May-4 June 5 July-6 August 2010, p. 313—327.
3. Council Decision of 8 November 2007 establishing a Community Civil Protection Mechanism (recast), 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 314, December 1.
4. Council Regulation of 11 November 2002 (2012/2002) establishing the European Union Solidarity Fund, 2002, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 311, November 14.
5. The Council Decision of 23 ...
The concept of the European Union’s normative power
... 2, p. 242–261.
39. Zimmermann, H. 2007, Realist Power Europe? The EU in the Negotiations about China’s and Russia’s WTO Accession, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 45, no. 4, p. 813–832.
foreign policy of the European Union, European Union, EU, ‘normative power’
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
... responsibility for decision-making to larger players. Such an asymmetric strategy makes it possible for small powers to advance their interests within alliances and save resources. The authors test this hypothesis on the behaviour of the Baltics in the European Union. It is demonstrated that Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia have created a stable small coalition within the EU and actively form ad hoc alliances with the leading states to push union-level decisions, as it was the case with settling the migrant issue....
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union,...
The Legal Regulation of the EU Immigrant Integration Policy
12. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council and the European Economic and Social Committee and Committee of the Regions A Common Agenda for Integration Framework for the Integration of Third-Country Nationals in the European Union. URL:
(дата обращения: 05.05.2018).
13. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee ...
New stages of the excessive budget deficit procedure for the EU member states and the assessment of their effectiveness
... sanctions. However, their introduction depends on the political will of EU member-states. The sanctions can potentially inflict additional damage on the financial situation in the EU states having budget deficit.
1. Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union: consolidated version 2016 // Official Journal of the European Union. 2016. Vol. 59. C202. P. 47—200. URL:
(дата обращения: ...
Northern Dimension: Participant Strategies
... Европейского Союза и Россия.
и Северное измерение. Издательство Министерства иностранных дел Финляндии, 2008.
European Union and the making of a wider northern
Browning Christopher, Pertti Joenniemi. The European Union's Two Dimensions: The Eastern and the Northern // Security dialogue. 2003. 34 (4):463—78.
The externalisation of migration control in the European Union: first steps towards the external dimension of the space of freedom, security and justice
... creation of an area of freedom, security and justice is one of the most rapidly developing aspects of European integration. It this paper, we take a look at the foreign policies involved in this process — aside from the internal development of the European Union, they concern a significant number of third countries, including Russia. In our view, the efforts to manage the flow of migrants and asylum seekers constitute a viable part of the external dimension within the AFSJ policies. Much of this article ...
Kant’s perpetual peace project and the project of the European Union
The article examines the following problems: 1) How well-founded is the comparison of the ideas of Kant's treatise «Towards Perpetual Peace», written in late XVIII century, with the implementation of nowadays project of European Union? 2) If such parallels are possible, to what extent the structure of the EU corresponds to Kant's vision? 3) Which Kantian ideas are of the foremost importance to future development of the EU? Basing on the analysis of Kant's treatise and of the ...
Kant’s Perpetual Peace Project and the Project of the European Union
The article examines the following problems: 1) How well-founded is the comparison of the ideas of Kant’s essay «Towards Perpetual Peace», written in late XVIII century, with the implementation of nowadays project of European Union 2) If such parallels are possible, to what extent the structure of the EU corresponds to Kant’s vision? 3) Which Kantian ideas are of the foremost importance to future development of the EU? Basing on the analysis of Kant’s treatise and of the ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
A higher level of unity and cohesion across the European Union member states is an important aspect of European integration though it has a rather ambiguous nature. The Law on the Common Market, which aims to increase the economic efficiency of the EU, became a subject of extensive discussions among researchers ...
The principle of mutual recognition of court orders within legal cooperation on criminal cases in the European Union
This article considers particular problems of cooperation on criminal matters in the European Union using the example of the European Arrest Warrant and European Evidence Warrant.
on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version //
Conclusions, Tampere European Council ...
The open method of coordination as a new form of governance: features, characteristics, prospects of application
Experimental governance: the open method of coordination // European Law Journal. Vol. 12. 2006
Governance and government in the European Union. The open method of coordination // The new knowledge economy in Europe Elgar / ed. M.
Trubek D., Cottrell P., Nance M.
«Soft law», «hard law» and European integration: towards a theory ...
The European idea in Central Europe and Scandinavia as a part of the security and peaceful co-existence policy in the framework of the postwar planning
... Pan-Europa, Stockholm.
7. Edvard Beneś in his own words, 1944, N. Y.
8. Ekblom, K. 1939, Våra studier: Union nu, Freden, Vol. 12, no. 22, p. 4.
9. Foreign relations of the United States 1942. 1958, Vol. 3, Washington.
10. Heather, D. 1992, The idea of European Union, L.
11. Holm, T. 1943, Från krig till fred, Uppsala.
12. Khennet, H. 1941, Nordens framtid, Mellanfolkligt Samarbete, Vol. 11, no. 2, p. 43—44.
13. Lot, V. 2000, Identity and statehood in the process of European integration, Journal of European ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
This article demonstrates the effect of the 2010s migration crisis has had on the demographic development of the European Union. Employing statistics and mapping, the study argues that the demographic development of EU states is not affected by either socioeconomic performance or religious, linguistic, and cultural characteristics. Migration inflow differs significantly ...
The Northern Dimension policy: current state and development prospects
10. Еntin, M. 2006. Vsja Evropa, Vyp. 4. [online] Available at: <http://www.mgimo.ru/alleurope/2006/04/04-severnoe-izmerenie.html> (Accessed 22 July 2010).
11. Action Plan for Northern Dimension with external and cross-border policies of the European Union 2000—2003. 2000. European Council. Doc. No. 9401/00 NIS 76, Brussels, 14 June.
12. Memorandum of Understanding setting out the modalities of establishing the Northern Dimension Partnership on Culture. 2010. EUROPA: the official website of the ...
The facilitation of freedom of movement between Russia and the European Union: prospects and legal issues
This article examines the legal aspects of the prospective visa free regime between Russia and the European Union,as well as the implementation of local border traffic mechanisms.
1. Treaty on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version, 2008, Official Journal, 9 May, p. 115.
2. Council Regulation (EC) N 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the ...
Human rights in EU-Russia relations: a human rights mechanism
This article considers the human rights issues in relations between the Russian Federation and the European Union in the context of formal agreements and real policy from 1994 to the beginning of 2013. The EU regards human rights as fundamental values, which serve as the basis for its foreign relations. Russia tends to consider this issue as an attempt of an ...
Legal aspects of the EU policy on irregular immigration
... control, and rules on collaboration with third countries. The author pays special attention to analysing the current state of irregular immigration to the EU, which was dubbed the ‘greatest migration crisis in Europe’. The conclusion is that the European Union succeeded in the development of pioneering legislation on irregular immigration, which can serve as the basis for reception by other states. However, changes in the political and economic situation in the EU’s southern borderlands made the current ...
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
... implementation of the provisions contained in the four blocks of the “Common Steps”, the authors draw conclusions about the political nature of major obstacles to a visa-free regime. This article is based on the proceedings of the “Russia and European Union: the dynamics of interrelations” international conference organized by the EU center of the I. Kant Baltic Federal University (the EU4U project).
1. Overview of Schengen Visa statistics 2009—2011, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/overview_of_schengen_visa_statistics_2011_final_en....
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
....org/hans-brask-governance-crisis-balticsea-region-cooperation/ (accessed 05.02.2016).
9. Communication From The Commission To The European Parliament, The Council, The European Economic And Social Committee And The Committee Of The Regions, 2009, Concerning the European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, Brussels, 10 June, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docoffic/official/communic/baltic/com_baltic_en.pdf (accessed: 17.08.2015).
10. EU Baltic Sea strategy, 2009, Report for the konrad-adenauer-stiftung,...
The role of the European Central Bank in ensuring the financial stability of the EU
The Declaration of the Heads of State and Government of June 29, 2012 was the birth of the European Banking Union. It demonstrated considerable and, in some ways, unprecedented support by the member states of the European Union to each other. This move was highly questioned by the public. In addition to eloquent statements about the need to break the adverse interdependence of sovereign risks and risks of the banking sector, this Declaration included two specific legal ...
The “European identity” of today: a category of political practice or discourse?
....org/docs/where_does_poland_fit_in_europe.pdf (дата обращения: 11.03.2012).
22. White H. The Discourse of Europe and the Search for a European Identity.URL: http://www.postcolonial-europe.eu (дата обращения: 11.02.2012).
European Union, European identity, discourse, EU institutions, European Parliament, EU citizenship.
The European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and accomplishments
... unique macro-regional unit. Strong collaboration links, and competition in the Baltic Sea region, are an inherent feature of the region from the beginning of its civilization development. Since 2004, the Baltic Sea has become an internal sea of the European Union. This fact no doubt strengthened the cooperation of the countries in the region. In many spheres, these ties take the form of networking. The EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region is an important stimulus for further integrations. The objective ...
European and Eurasian integration: similarities and differences
... processes regarding the analysis of demographic and socio-economic development indicators of the EU and EAEU countries, as well as the integration mechanisms and instruments. The research comes to the conclusion on the possibility of adopting the European Union integration experience for the further integration processes in the Eurasian integration process. The primary tool for research is the comparative analysis. It is noted that the economic integration of countries in the post-Soviet space follows ...
Lithuania in Context of Eurointegration Processes: from Luxembourg to Helsinki
... division of the Baltic States into two negotiation groups as well as the developed mechanism of the acceleration of the preparation for the EU accession.
— Commission Opinion on Lithuania’s Application for Membership of the European Union. Brussels,15
July 1997. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/archives/pdf/dwn/opinions/lithuania/li-op_en.pdf
Herd. The Baltic States and the EU enlargement // Back to Europe: Central and Eastern Europe and the ...
The EU Vs. Russia: Legal Nature and Implementation of the Union’s Restrictive Measures
... concludes that the EU sanctions against Russia are inconsistent with the legal nature of restrictive measures, since they are a punishment rather than a policy tool. The author believes that in the current political conditions it may be difficult for the European Union to reach a unanimous agreement to repeal or prolong the sanctions. This article is inspired by the discussions that took place during the international conference “Russia and the EU: the Question of Trust” held in Luxembourg on November, 28—29 ...
A unified and harmonised European law and its impact on third countries
... international civil procedure and private international law. On the basis of this power, the European Community enacted a series of Regulations, which will soon unify both areas of law. Such unification will not only facilitate legal relations within the European Union but also enhance legal relations with third countries.
1. Convention on Jurisdiction and the Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters, 1972, OJ L, no 299, p. 32.
2. Convention on the law applicable to contractual obligations of ...
Good-neighbourly relations and the European Neighbourhood Policy — What is the Difference?
... "European Neighbourhood Policy" // COM. 2004. 373 final.
from the Commission "Eastern Partnership" // COM. 2008. 823/4.
Im Osten was Neues //
Spotlight Europe. 2009. 06.
of the European Union. Presidency Conclusions. 7880. 09.
of the European Union. 8435/09 (Presse 78).
The Shaping of a Policy Framework for the Wider
// CEaPS Policy. 2003. № 39. URL: ...
The development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations: 2010 results
... with the development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations in 2010. The author analyses the preparation of the new basic agreement, the development of sectoral EU-Russia agreements, and soft law amendments, as well as relevant regulations of the European Union and Russian law. The article reviews current initiatives and approaches of the Parties in the legal regulation of the „Partnership for modernisation".
1. Postojannoe predstavitel'stvo Rossijskoj Federacii pri Evropejskom Sojuze [The Permanent ...
Innovative factors and conditions of sustainable development of rural territories
10. Programma regiona Baltijskogo morja 2007—2013. V ramkah celi Evropejskogo Sojuza po territorial'nomu sotrudnichestvu i Evropejskogo instrumenta sosedstva i partnerstva [Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007—2013. Within the objectives of the European Union on territorial cooperation and the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument], available at: http://eu.baltic.net/redaktion/ download.php?id=1107&type=file (accessed 2 June 2012).
11. Commission Staff Working Paper. Appendix to the report ...
Polish-Russian Small Border Traffic in the Context of Russia-EU Relations
This article sets out to analyse the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic in the context of relations between the European Union and the Russian Federation. The analysis focuses on the role of the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation in relations between the EU and Russia and conditions of the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic. The methodology employed ...
Certain issues of correlation between the international financial law and the EU law
... этап эволюции : учеб. пособие. М., 2016.
9. Judgment of the Court of 5 November 2002. Commission of the European Communities v Federal Republic of Germany, Case C-476/98. ECR  I-09855.
10. Chalmers D., Davies G., Monti G. The European Union Law. Cambridge, 2010.
11. Бирюков М. М. Европейское право: до и после Лиссабонского договора. М., 2016.
12. Judgement of 26 October 1982. Hauptzollamt Mainz v Kupferberg. ECR  3641.
The discourse of “European identity” in the conditions of the EU crisis
... Korniychuk A. Euroscepticism in Czech Republic. URL: http://irdb.wordpress.
com/2010/02/16/euroscepticism-in-czech-republic/ (дата обращения: 11.02.2012).
11. Gvozden V. Some Remarks on the Relationship between European Identity and the European Union /Vladimir Gvozden EU=Europe? Euroskepticism and European Identity. URL: http://www.forost.lmu.de/fo_library/forost_Arbeitspapier_45.pdf
(дата обращения: 18.03.2012).
12. Slavica Jakelić Secularization, European Identity, and «The ...
Particularities of the ratification of the European Fiscal Compact in Germany
15. Kocharov A. Another Legal Monster? An EUI debate on the fiscal compact treaty // EUI LAW. 2012. 09. URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1814/21496 (дата обращения: 02.03.2015).
Fiscal Compact, budget deficit, government debt, European Union, obligation to implement balanced budget rule.
Supranational Policy of Migrant Integration in the EU
... presents an overview of the major forms of social integration of migrants. The author analyses the existing sociological theories and concepts, as well as the practice of implementing supranational policies of integrating third country nationals in the European Union and its major aspects and mechanisms. On the basis of statistical data and with the help of correlation analysis, the author identifies the key factors affecting a country’s approach to the integration of immigrants. These factors were used in ...
Innovation Capacity of Russia and the Baltics: a Comparative Approach
... predostavljaemym studentam, magistrantam, doktorantam, i uchenym Evropejskim sojuzom i stranami ES. 2012—2013 [European grants and scholarships: the catalog for scholarships and grants to students, undergraduates, doctoral students, and scientists of the European Union and countries in the EU. 2012—2013], available at: http://mobility.ukgu.kz/download/Европейские стипендии и гранты.pdf (accessed 10 January 2013).
4. Indikatory innovacionnoj dejatel'nosti: 2012 [Indicators of innovative ...
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
The aim of this article is to adjust the technique of comparing the standard of living in 11 countries of Central and Eastern Europe that became members of the European Union (EU) during 2004-2013 (EU-11) and 15 countries of Western, Northern and Southern Europe – member states of the EU by 1995 (EU-15). We reveal that outright home ownership in the EU-11 countries exceeds on average 75%, while almost two-thirds of ...
The features of EU energy strategy in the Baltic region
... available at: http://sd.net.ua/2009/08/06/rossija_otkazalas_ot_jenergeticheskojj_khartii_es.html (accessed 04 October 2011).
2. Bogucharsky, М. Ye. 2003, Jenergeticheskaja strategija Evropejskogo sojuza na sovremennom jetape [Energy Strategy of the European Union at the present stage], Finansy. Pravo. Menedzhment [Finance. Right. Management], available at:http://flm.su/?actions=main_content&id=828 (accessed 14 October 2011).
3. Green paper — A European Strategy for Sustainable, Competitive and Secure Energy,...
Geopolitical and Geo-economic Changes in the Baltic Sea Region at the Turn of the XX—XXI centuries
1. Gutnik, А. P. Kemeshev, А. P. (eds.) 2006, Baltijskij region kak polyus `ekonomicheskoj integracii Severo-Zapada Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo soyuza [Baltic region as pole of economic integration of the Russian Northwest and the European Union], Kaliningrad, 392 p. (In Russ.)
2. Verkhoturov, D. 2014, Island territories" of Russia, КМ. ru, available at:
(accessed 05.07.2016). (In Russ.)
3. Denisenkov, А. 2016, Military expert: Accumulation ...
Two perspectives on the 'Kaliningrad issue'
... presidential representatives for the Kaliningrad region (Dmitry Rogozin, representing the Russian party and Gediminas Kirkilas, representing the Lithuanian party) recounts the EU-Russia negotiations on the Kaliningrad region and the enlargement of the European Union in the early 2000s. The interview provides an important assessment of the negotiations and their results and explains for the first time the role of individual European states and politicians in the 'Kaliningrad issue'. These facts allow the reader ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
... Dimension in the Context of Circular Economy: The Case of Baltic Sea Region, Economics and Management, vol. 12, no. 1, p. 4—18. doi: 10.15240/tul/001/2020-1-001.
9. Gänzle, S. 2018, ‘Experimental Union’ and Baltic Sea cooperation: the case of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region (EUSBSR), Regional Studies, Regional Science, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 339—352. doi: 10.1080/21681376.2018.1532315.
10. Grönholm, S., Jetoo, S. 2019, The potential to foster governance learning in the Baltic Sea ...
The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
... yuridicheskie, no. 13, p. 2—8. (In Russ.)
13. Balassa, B. 1961, The Theory of Economic Integration, Homewood, Illinois, Richard D. Irwin, Inc.
14. Chaplygin, V., Hughes Hallett, A., Richter, C. 2006, Monetary integration in the ex-Soviet Union: A 'union of four'? The Economics of Transition, Vol. 14, no. 1, p. 47—68.
15. Hughes Hallett, A., Martinez Oliva, J. C. 2013, The Importance of Trade and Capital Imbalances in the European Debt Crisis, Working Paper Series WP13—01, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
16. Lindberg, L. 1963, The Political Dynamics of European Economic Integration. Stanford, Calif., Stanford University Press.
17. Mundell, R. A., Swoboda,...
The prospects of entrepreneurship in the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region
... essential features of entrepreneurship, its prospects in the development and implementation of innovations seem to be quite attractive. However, in the current economic context, growth requires special measures. The authors analyse the measures taken by the European Union and individual countries in order to strengthen the participation of small and medium business in R&D and innovation, describe conditions which are necessary for unlocking innovative potential, identify new industries that might become drivers of ...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
... Baltic, Ambio, Vol. 9 No. 3—4.
Kołecka B, 1997, Rada Nordycka, Nordycka Rada Ministrów, [in:]
(ed.).Europejskie struktury współpracy, Warszawa.
Lipponen P., 1999, The Northern Dimension of The European Union, New
European Council, 15—
, Conclusions of the Presidency, Bulletin of the European Communities no 12.1995.
Ognik H., Popiński R., 1992, Instytucjonalizacja ...
Local Border Traffic as a Form of Visa Liberalisation and Territorial Development
This article addresses the issue of visa liberalisation between Russia and the European Union, which constitutes a key aspect of the parties’ diplomatic cooperation. This work sets out to identify the main results of Russia/EU cooperation. The authors have conducted a brief historical analysis of this area of relations. The visa “regionalisation” ...
Lithuanian energy policy in 1990—2009 and the prospects of its development until 2020
This article considers the key stages of Lithuanian energy evolution since 1990 and the factors that affected the strategy of Lithuanian energy sector development in the period of preparation and accession to the European Union. The author offers the estimations and general strategic recommendations regarding national energy policy, which were developed by the specialists of the Lithuanian Energy Institute.
energy, energy strategy, European Union, liberalisation ...