Universities of the North-western federal district in Russian-Finnish research cooperation
This article focuses on the cooperation between universities of the North-western federal district (NWFD) of the Russian Federation, Sweden, and Finland, its intensity and territorial differentiation. The analysis was conducted on the basis of public domain information on the international activity of universities available on their official websites. The authors identify the principle areas and leading centres
of such cooperation. The NWFD universities have significant experience in cooperation with Finnish universities. Cooperation with Swedish universities is proved to be less developed. Approximately 50 NFWD universities, 29 of which are located in Saint Petersburg, are involved in cooperation; most NWFD universities do not cooperate with the mentioned countries. Such low degree of cooperation in the field of education is a serious inhibiting factor, which reduces competitiveness on the modern market of educational services.
1. Verbitskaya, L. A. 2001, Globalizacija i internacionalizacija v obrazovanii i vazhnost' izuchenija inostrannyh jazykov [Globalization and internationalization in education and the importance of learning foreign languages], Mir russkogo slova
[The world of the Russian word], no. 2, p. 15—18.
2. Fond Sverkera Ostrjoma [The Sverker Åström Foundation], available at:http://www.sverkerastromfoundation.se/sverker_astroms_stiftelse_russian/sverker_astroms_stiftelse_ru.asp (accessed 18 April 2012).
3. Svenska Institutet, available at:URL: http://si.se/Svenska/ (accessed 18 April 2012).
4. The World University Rankings 2011—2012, available at: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html (accessed 18 April 2012).
5. Universitet och högskolor, Högskoleverket, available at: http://www.hsv.se/densvenskahogskolan/universitetochhogskolor.4.539a949110f3d5914ec80005714
5.html (accessed 01 April 2012)
6. Opetushaalitus Utbildningsstyrelsen, Universiteten, available at: http://www.utbildningsstyrelsen.fi/utbildning_och_examina/hogskolor_och_universitet/ universiteten (accessed 18 April 2012).