The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
... territorial'nye struktury: pamjati
I. M. Maergojza [Geographical location and territorial structures: memory I. M. Maergoiz], Moscow, p. 688—707.
7. Catus, K., Sakkeus, L. 1999, Urbanizacija, migracija i regional'noe razvitie naselenija Jestonii [Urbanization, migration and regional development of the Estonian population]. In: Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. (ed.), Zayonchkovskaya, J. A. 1999, Migracija i urbanizacija v 90 gody [Migration and urbanization in the 90s], Moscow, p. 159—183.
8. Kashnitsky, I. 2014, Chto v vozraste tebe moem? At the age of my writing?...
L. woodpegion in the towns of the Kaliningrad region
... condition of woodpigeon populations in 25 towns and large villages of the Kaliningrad region. The author focuses on the possible reasons for significant differences in the population density of woodpigeon in urban areas and pays attention to the origin of urban populations.
1. Корбут В. В. Урбанизация и птицы города // Экополис 2000: экология и устойчивое развитие города. М., 2000. С. 159—161.
2. Tomiałojć L. The urban population ...
Demographic change in Germany and reversal of spatial ageing patterns
... result of a spatial analysis considering the effect of demographic ageing and ageing-in-place processes in Germany according to spatially differentiated ageing patterns among urban, sub-urban and rural counties up to 2025. As to the latest official population forecast counties of urban core regions will undergo a slower ageing process than other types of counties, resulting in a reversal of ageing patterns. Urban core areas in this analysis will gain demographically from their net migration surplus while suburban housing locations ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... identified the centre of gravity of the population, produce the standard deviational ellipsis and use the kernel density estimation. The street network centrality of Saint Petersburg was analyzed using the Multiple Centrality Assessment Model (MCA) and the Urban Network Analysis Tool for ArcGIS. The analysis of the population distribution in Saint Petersburg shows that each area of the city has seen their population grow over the last thirteen years. However, it is the population of suburban areas that increased the most. The core area of the city has the tendency ...
The formation and current state of the urban population of Columba palumbus L. woodpigeon in Kaliningrad
This article traces the development of a specialised urban Woodpigeon population in the city of Kaliningrad and assesses its current condition. The author focuses on certain factors affecting the formation of urban populations.
Woodpigeon // The EBCC atlas of European breeding birds: their distribution and abundance / eds. W. Hagemeijer, J. Blair. T., A. Poyser. L., 1997. P. 384—385.
The urban population of the Woodpigeon ...
The history and modern condition of the urban fieldfare (Turdus pilaris L.) population in Kaliningrad
... significant expansion of city habitat and population growth in the first decade of the 21st century, the fieldfare population in Kaliningrad remains small and slightly exceeds 170 pairs across the city territory. Some factors affecting the formation of urban populations are discussed.
1. Фридман В. С., Ерёмкин Г. С., Захарова-Кубарева Н. Ю. Специализированные городские популяции птиц: формы и механизмы устойчивости ...
The demographic problems of the Baltic cities: general trends
This article discusses the trends of demographic development of the Baltic Sea region's cities. It analyses the factors affecting the urban population dynamics in the second half of the 20th — the beginning of the 21st centuries. The authors emphasise the dependence of the Baltic cities on the socioeconomic development level throughout the region as well as intraregional disparities. The ...
Socio-spatial differentiation in transition: a preliminary comparative analysis of post-soviet St Petersburg and Riga
... two largest post-Soviet urban centres in the Baltic Sea region. An important result of the research is a methodology for multi-lev-a el analysis of changes in the urban environment of post-socialist cities. Data from post-1991 national censuses and population registers are used to calculate measures of social well-being in urban districts as well as to identify territorial imbalances. Compar-ative analysis makes it possible to trace the spatial patterns of post-Soviet differentiation and set out guidelines for further research in the area.
Zhitin, D. V., Sechi, G., Krisjane,...
Regional Geographic Information Systems of Health and Environmental Monitoring
... Landscape and geochemical card, Geoinformatika, no. 1, p. 28—32. (In Russ.)
11. Kurolap, S. A., Mamchik, N. P., Klepikov, O. V. 2006, Ocenka riska dlya zdorov'ya naseleniya pri tekhnogennom zagryaznenii gorodskoj sredy [Risk assessment for health of the population at tekhnogenny pollution of the urban environment], Voronezh, 220 p. (In Russ.)
12. Krasilnikov, I. A., Musiychuk, Yu. I., Strukov, D. R. 2012. Practical experience of use of geographic information systems in support of adoption of administrative decisions in health care of St. Petersburg,...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... of production on demographic processes and trends in the transformation of the population distribution system. Based on an analysis of the sectoral structure of economy and demographic development trends, the author proposes a functional typology of urban and rural settlements. He stresses the discrepancy between the established population distribution systems and the demographic trends in regional development. It is suggested in the paper that the overcoming of spatial heterogeneity should be considered at the regional level from the perspective of improving the stability of ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
52. Schubel, J. R., Carolyn, L. 2000, The Emergence of Megacities, Medicine and Global Survival, Vol. 6, no. 2, p. 107—110.
53. Small, C. 2004, Global population distribution and urban land use in geophysical parameter space, Earth Interactions,Vol. 8, p. 1—18.
54. Sreeja, K. G., Madhusoodhanan, C. G., Eldho, T. I. 2016, Coastal zones in integrated river basin management in the West Coast of India: Delineation, boundary issues ...
Urbanisation of the Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos С. L. Brehm) in Kaliningrad: History of the process and causes of its failure
In comparison with the Blackbird and the Fieldfare having specialised urban populations in Kaliningrad, the Song thrush does not show signs of urbanisation. This article analyses the causes of this phenomenon and examines the results of urbanisation of the closely related species and fundamental differences between them
1. Фридман ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
... The authors have drawn the conclusion about a potentially higher ranking of coastal cities as centers of attraction for the population (primarily located at a distance of up to 50 km from the sea).
1. Winters J. V. Why are smart cities growing? Who ... ... with policy implications // Cities. 2018. Vol. 78. P. 17—26.
3. Rappaport J. Moving to nice weather// Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2007. Vol. 37. P. 375—398.
4. Яськова Т. И. Миграционное притяжение московского ...
Population change in global urban regions
This article focuses on the key aspects of population development in the historical cores of leading global urban regions at the stage of globalisation. The research sets out to identify and describe the common — model — and individual features of the demographic modernisation process.
1. Vallerstein, I. 2001. Tipologija krizisov v mirosisteme In: Analiz ...
Trends in population change and the sustainable socio-economic development of cities in North-West Russia
... economic specialisation of northwestern cities. The migration behaviour of the population and the geoeconomic position are shown to be the main indicators of the sustainable development of a city.
Anokhin A. A., Shelest K. D., Tikhonova M. A.
cities, urban population, Northwestern Federal District, city classification, population, city sustainability
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
... including historical and cultural landmarks into a traveller’s experience. The authors analyse the results of the international urban development competition for the best concept of the historical area of the centre of Kaliningrad Korolevskaya Gora and Its ... ... Kaliningradskoj oblasti s cel'ju monitoringa sostojanija turistskoj otrasli [Analytical Report on the results of a sample survey of the population of the Kaliningrad region in order to monitor the state of the tourism industry], 2014, Kaliningrad.
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 77, no. 1—2, p. 111—130.
2. Salvati, L. 2014, Looking at the future of the mediterranean urban regions: demographic trends and socioeconomic implications, Romanian journal of regional science, Vol. 8, no. 2, p. 74—83.... ... Cohen, J. E., Small, Chr., Mellinger, A., Gallup, J., Sachsm J., Vitousek, P. M., Harold, A. 1997, Mooney Estimates of Coastal Populations, Science, New Series, Vol. 278, no. 5341, Nov. 14, p. 1211—1212.
5. Vallega, A. 1998, Agenda 21 of ocean geography....
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
... complexity of the ethnic identity structures and the processes of modernization, which occur at different rates in Russian and national regions. Based on the 2010 census data, the article analyses the differences in polyethnicity between the rural and urban population, which are accounted for by the historical background, particularities of regional development, settlement features, and migration processes of the past two decades.
1. Belozerov, V. S. 2005, Jetnicheskaja karta Severnogo Kavkaza [Ethnic ...
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... 2000—2007], Kaliningrad.
10. Fedorov, G. M. 2001, Naselenie Kaliningradskoj oblasti. Demograficheskie uslovija obosnovanija Territorial'noj kompleksnoj shemy gradostroitel'nogo planirovanija razvitija territorii Kaliningradskoj oblasti i ee chastej [The population of the Kaliningrad region. Demographic conditions justify territorial complex schemes of urban development planning in the Kaliningrad region and its parts], Kaliningrad.
11. Khrushchev, S. A. 2010, The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states, Balt. Reg., no. 2 (6). DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2010-4-9.
The comparative characteristics of Blackbird nest materials from natural and anthropogenic landscapes of the Kaliningrad region
Luniak M., Mulsow R.
Ecological parameters in urbanization of the European Blackbird // Acta XIX Congr. Inter. Orn.
Ottawa, 1988. №
2. P. 1787—1793.
Nest site selection in the urban population of Blackbirds
Szczecin (NW Poland) // Acta ornithologica.
40 (1). P. 61—69.
Э., Землянухин А.
И., Клименко И.
Некоторые особенности ...
Dynamics and natural population change in Belarusian Lake District in the post-war period
... Республики Беларусь, 2009 : стат. сб. / Министерство статистики и анализа Республики Беларусь. Минск, 2010.
Piletsky I. V.
demographic potential, population, birth rate, urban population, village
population, natural loss, development of region, planning.
Urban Planning Development and Seismic Safety Provision in the Kaliningrad region
In this study, we analyse today’s urban development trends in the context of densely populated territories located in moderate seismic regions. We perform a brief engineering analysis of the consequences of the Kaliningrad earthquake of September 21, 2004. The earthquake was felt across the Sambia Peninsula, in the Baltics, Finland, some ...
Some features of urban speech in the context of language situation of the Arkhangelsk North
The author presents the result of research into the speech of indigent population of Arkhangelsk aimed at identifying informants of dialect lexical units in view of social stratification. The data ... ... национального языка // Известия АН СССР. ОЛЯ. 1961. Т. 20, вып. 5. С. 432—444.
dialect, urban speech, city language, communication
Assessment of transport accessibility of rural territories of the Kaliningrad region using methods of sociological research
The modern socio-economic model entails the intensification of rural – urban interaction. First of all, the process manifested itself in the growth of population flows, daily commuting between the village and the city. As a result, the rural population expects a high-quality transport infrastructure and an efficiently functioning public transport network. Using sociological tools, the authors analyze ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
34. Brunei // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
35. East Timor: Districts, Cities & Urban Areas // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
36. The population of the Sultanate by the end of May 2015 // National Center for Statistics and Information. Sultanate of Oman. URL:
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
... Eurostat, available at:
28. George, P. 1960, Question de geographie de la population, Paris, p.229.
29. Harris, C. D. 1970, Cities of the Soviet Union, Chicago, p. 484.
30. Joenniemi, P., Sergunin, A.... ... Barredo, J. I., Lavalle, C. et al. 2006, Are Europeancities Becousing Dispersed? A Comparative Analysis of Fifteen European Urban Areas, Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol.77, no. 1—2, p. 111—130.
33. Kosinski, L. 1967, Geografia ludnosc,. Warszawa,...
The abundance and territorial distribution of the Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) and Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) in Kaliningrad
This article studies the Coot and Moorhen breeding in urban conditions. Seven years’ (1999—2003, 2006 -2007) field studies resulted in the compilation of an atlas of the Kaliningrad ... ... pairs of coots and 56 of moorhens. The Coot is more widespread (present in 25.2 % of the plots) than the Moorhen (13.6 %). The population density of the Coot reaches 10—15 pairs per km2 in the most suitable habitats with an average density of only 4.0 ...
Economic and demographic distinctions between municipal districts of the Kaliningrad region
... However, there are obvious distinctions between municipalities. Having analyzed the statistical data on the situation in urban districts, the authors identified territorial differences, influencing the economic and demographic situation in municipalities ... ... employment is lower and the problem of unemployment is more complicated, there is a significant migration outflow of the population to Kaliningrad and its satellite towns. The regional programme Vostok is being developed to tackle the problem ...
The mortality rate in the Kaliningrad region in the second half of the 1940s—1950s
This article focuses on the major problems of studying one of the key aspects of the demographic history of the Kaliningrad region – the evolution of mortality rate in urban and rural population. Based on an analysis of statistical data from archival documents, the author considers the dynamics and characteristics of mortality rate. The key mortality rate indicators and the factors behind its decrease in the first half/mid-1950s are ...
The ethnocultural identification of the Belarusian population in the Russian publications of the late 18th — early 19th centuries
... ethnonymy and other ethnocultural markers (denomination, language) of the residents of Belarusian lands during the partitions of Poland on the basis of works by S. Plescheev, H. F. Hackmann, L. M. Maksimovich, V. M. Severgin, and other scholars. The urban population was ethnically identified as Polish, whereas the rural peasant one as predominantly Lithuanian.
1. Вуглік І. Р. Этнаніміка беларусаў XVII—XVIII ст.: экзаэтнонімы // Весці БДПУ. 2009. Сер....
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
The article discusses the semi-medium-sized cities (with a population from 20 to 50 thousand people) and their functions in five regions of the North-West Federal District of the Russian ... ... Medium Sized Cities in Dialogue around the Baltic Sea. Frederiksberg, 2005.
18. McGregor A., McConnachie M. Social Exclusion, Urban Regeneration and Economic Reintegration // Urban Studies. 1995. Vol. 32, № 10. Р. 1587—1600.
Belova A. V.
Social and cultural determinants in the perception of environmental risks: Douglas grid group analysis
... in the Kaliningrad region as an example. To achieve this aim, the author analyzed the social and cultural determinants of the population. The grid-group analysis was used as a supporting technique for the identification of cultural determinants. The ... ... hierarchism, fatalism and egalitarianism. Social determinants were factors related to the respondents' living environment — urban or rural. The main method of research was a focus group with subsequent processing of results using ATLAS.ti software ...
Coastal agglomerations and the transformation of national innovation spaces
... ocean coasts influences the dynamics of innovation processes. I analyse coastalisation (the movement of economic activity and population to coastal zones) by considering the effects and inland diffusion of the exceptionally high innovative potential ... ... coastalisation.
Mikhaylov, A. S.
innovation space, coastal agglomeration, innovation diffusion, innovation geography, urbanization, coastalisation
Russian Northwest: An integral Assessment of the Conditions of Regional Social, Environmental and Economic Systems and Quality of Life
... Sociologicheskie issledovanija [Sociological studies], no. 9, p. 4—23.
15. Osipova, А. А., Dmitriev, V. V. 2014, Integral'nye ocenki kachestva zhizni naselenija i kachestva gorodskoj sredy g. Sankt-Peterburga [Integral estimates of the quality of life of the population and the quality of the urban environment of St. Petersburg], Mezhdunarodnyj zhurnal jeksperimental'nogo obrazovanija [International Journal of Experimental Education], no 3, Part. 1, p. 96—102.
16. Preobrazovanie nashego mira: Povestka dnja v oblasti ustojchivogo razvitija ...
The effect of cross-border fibre-optic transitions on the information and communication connectivity of the Russian cities
... Russia or for any other country. Using my own database on the Russian telecommunication lines, the Rosstat data on the cities’ population, and the results of the scanning of the Internet topology, I attempt to assess the effect of these transitions on the ... ... I.
information and communication connectivity, cross-border transition, telecommunications line, autonomous system, digital urban agglomeration, Russian Federation
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
... Brussels-Capital Region, Mozaika gorodskikh prostranstv: ekonomicheskie, sotsial'nye, kul'turnye i ekologicheskie protsessy [Mosaic urban spaces: economic, social, cultural and ecological processes], Collected materials of All-Russian scientific conference,... ... Migratory routes map, available at:
. europa. eu/trends-and-routes/migratory-routes-map (accessed 04.11.2016).
25. Population on 1 January, Eurostat, available at:
Human Resources of Post-war Lithuania and Their Role in the Rebuilding of Klaipeda
... commercial seaport of Klaipeda], LCVA, F, R-755, Ap. 2, b. 159.
13. Spravka CSU Soveta Ministrov Litovskoj SSR «Chislennost' gorodskogo naselenija po Litovskoj SSR na 1 ijunja 1946 g.» [Help CSO Council of Ministers of the Lithuanian SSR "The urban population of the Lithuanian SSR on June 1, 1946"], 1946, LCVA, F, R-363, Ap. 1, b. 162.
14. Otchet CSU Litovskoj SSR CSU Gosplana SSSR ob itogah registracii aktov grazhdanskogo sostojanija za 1946 g., dekabr' 1946 g. [Report CSB CSB Lithuanian ...
Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions
..., V. V., Fedorov, G. М. 1988, Osnovy geografii naselenija i rasselenija v predelah Mirovogo okeana [Basics of geography and population resettlement within the world's oceans]. In: Geografija okeana: teorija, praktika, problemy [Ocean Geography: theory,... ... indicators. 2014], Moscow, Rosstat , 900 p.
7. Friedmann, J. 1967, A general theory of polarized development, Ford Foundation, Urban and Regional Development Advisory Program in Chile.
8. Klemeshev, A., Fedorov, G. 2005, From an isolated exclave – to ...
History of creation, modern ecological condition, landscape structure of M. Ashmann park in Kaliningrad
... green zones in Kaliningrad, caused by the rapid modern construction and the increase in the motor vehicles, leads to adverse environmental conditions. Reconstruction and conservation of parks is a priority task for creating an ecological framework of urban areas. The M. Ashman’s landscape park is located in densely populated new districts of Selma and Severnaya Gora and is actively used by the townspeople for recreation. However, its environmental conditions do not meet the standards. The park is a 100-year old historical and cultural heritage. Complex field and ...
Geo-demographic typology of municipalities of the Kaliningrad region
... How to use geodemographic and lifestyle data in your business. Henley-on-Thames, 2004.
2. Booth C. Life and labour of the people of London. L., 1903.
3. Park R., Burgess E., McKenzie R. The city: Suggestions for investigation of human behavior in the urban environment. Chicago, 1925.
4. Shevky E., Williams M. The social areas of Los Angeles. Berkeley, 1949.
5. Harris R., Johnston R., Burgess S. Neighborhoods, Ethnicity and School Choice: Developing a Statistical Framework for Geodemographic Analysis // Popul Res Policy Rev. 2007. № 26. Р. 553—579.
6. Федоров Г. М. Об актуальных направлениях геодемографических исследований в России // Балтийский регион. 2014. № ...
Geography of Electoral Volatility in the Warmia and Mazury Voivodeship of Poland
... political environment. It inevitably affected the strategy and tactics of the development of local self-governance. The formation of the region has been going on in such a manner that differences in the electoral preferences and political behaviour of the urban population (the regional metropolis) and the periphery remain unchanged. Having performed the index analysis and a comparative analysis of the electoral data, the authors conclude that the consistency of administrative decisions on the formation of the ...
Queuing Russia: The Formation of New Social Practices in the Russian Cities of 1914-1918
The First World War was the time of major social shifts in the life of Russian society, the formation of new social practices that allowed the urban population to adapt to the extreme conditions of the Great War. Queue (the «tail») was one of them, gradually transforming from one of the many social practices into the «focal point» of culture.
1. № 141. Статья «К уничтожению ...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
Authority/president (accessed 31.08.2017) (in Russ.)
5. Druzhinin, A. G. 2017, The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication, Balt. Reg., Vol. 9, no. 2, p. 28—43.
6. Druzhinin, A. G. 2016 ... ... Issue, no. 26, p. 65—86.
10. Lofgren, O. 2008, Regionauts: The transformation of cross-border regions in Scandinavia, European Urban and Regional Studies, no. 15, p. 195—209.
11. Lundquist, K.-J., Trippl, M. 2011, Distance, Proximity and Types of Crossborder ...
Measuring social well-being in the rural areas of the Kaliningrad region
... evaluations. Rural districts were identified in the Kaliningrad region on the basis of the following criteria: the share of population residing in the rural areas (threshold value of 50 %); the share of non-residential areas (threshold value of 75 %),... ... «Saratov» 2005, Vzaimodejstvie gorodskih i sel'skih mestnostej v regional'nom razvitii [«Saratov» 2005
Interaction of urban and rural areas in regional development], Moscow, p. 4—23.
14. Patsiorkovsky, V. V. 2010, Sel'sko-gorodskaja Rossija ...