Development of cross-border tourist and recreational regions on the Karelian section of the Russian-Finnish border
... in the Baltic Sea Region have been extensively studied, there are still areas, which require further research. The aim of this article is to identify regions having active cross-border tourism and recreation in the adjacent territories of Finland and the Republic of Karelia. The authors propose to use an indicator characterizing the volume of incoming tourist flows. The number of tourists is not only indicative of the development of cross-border tourism and recreation; it is also one of the main criteria for determining ...
Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West
... routes in the border regions of Russia’s North-West. The author describes successful tourist routes within the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI) crossborder cooperation programmes. Particular attention is paid to the routes in the Republic of Karelia — the Blue Road, the White Road, and the Mining Road. The article stresses the importance of developing transboundary tourist routes in the border regions of Russia’s North-West. Designing and developing transboundary tourist routes is a step ...
Tourism development in border areas: a benefit or a burden? The case of Karelia
... to tourism development. In this article, I propose a new approach to interpreting the connection between an area’s proximity to the national border and the development of tourism at the municipal level. The aim of this study is to identify the strengths... ... limitations of borderlands as regards the development of tourism in seven municipalities of Karelia. I examine summarised data available from online and other resources, as well... ... municipal districts, tourism infrastructure, tourist flow, road border crossing point, Republic of Karelia
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
.... DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-4-8.
5. Generalnaya shema razmescheniya ob’ektov I infrastruktury turizma v razvitie Shemy territorialnogo planirovaniya Respubliki Karelia [General layout object known and the development of tourism infrastructure in the Republic of Karelia territorial planning schemes], 2007, Explanatory note, Sankt-Petersburg, p. 249.
6. Gosudarstvennaya programma RF “Razvitie kultury I turizma na 2013—2020 gody”: rasporyazhenie Pravitelstva RF ot 27.12, 2012 N 2567-р [State program of the ...
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... as analyse certain indices characterizing it. They examine the role of these regions in the development of international trade and economic relations, cross-border cooperation and international integration, taking the North-west federal district and the Republic of Karelia as a case-study. The article describes the mechanisms of building and increasing competitiveness of border regions in today’s Russia both in general and, particularly, in the Republic of Karelia as a border region of the North-west federal district....
The Evolution of Settlement Areas of Ingrian Finns in Northwest Russia in the Second Half of the 20th Century
... [National structure and language skills, citizenship of the Leningrad Region: Results of the National Population Census 2010], 2013, Part. 1, St. Petersburg, 266 p.
14. Nacional'nyj sostav naselenija Respubliki Karelija [The ethnic composition of the Republic of Karelia], 2005, Vol. V, Petrozavodsk.
15. Troinitskii, N. А. (ed.), 1903, Pervaja vseobshhaja perepis' naselenija Rossijskoj imperii 28 janvarja 1897 goda [The first general census of the population of the Russian Empire 28 January 1897], Vol. 37. ...
The Baltic Finnish Peoples Divided by State and Administrative Borders: Territorial Development of the Karelians, Vepsians, and Setos
... administrative borders on the territorial and demographic development of small ethnic groups. The article analyses the case of three Baltic Finnish peoples living in the Russian North-West and divided by borders of different levels: Karelians (Finland, the Republic of Karelia, and the Leningrad and Tver regions), Vepsians (the Republic of Karelia and the Leningrad and Vologda regions), and Setos (Estonia and the Pskov region). The analysis is based on the cartographic and statistical demographic data, as well as the ...
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
In this paper, we look at the interregional cooperation in adjacent areas. Specifically, we focus our attention on the cluster of regions formed by the city of St. Petersburg, the Leningrad region and the Republic of Karelia. All three areas face a number of challenges when it comes to international trade: challenges that are shared and that require strategic coordinated solutions from regional decisionmakers. One of such solutions, for example, could require pooling ...
Russia’s North-West Borders: Tourism Resource Potential
... tourism], available at:
. ru/%D0 %9A%D1 %80 %D0 %B5 %D1 %81 %D1 %82 %D0 %BE%D0 %B2 %D1 %8B%D0 %B9_%D0 %BA%D0 %B0 %D0 %BC%D0 %B5 %D0 %BD%D1%8C (accessed 24.06.2016). (in Russ.)
9. Protected areas, 2016, The official internet portal of the Republic of Karelia, available at:
(accessed 24.06.2016). (in Russ.)
10. Hotel Arbez — located half in Switzerland and half in France, 2013, LiveInternet, available at:
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... October 12, 2009 N 311)].
19. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Respubliki Karelija do 2020 goda (Postanovlenie Zakonodatel'nogo Sobranija Respubliki Karelija ot 27 dekabrja 2007 g. N 706-IV ZS) [Strategy for Socio-Economic Development of the Republic of Karelia 2020 (Resolution of the Legislative Assembly of the Republic of Karelia on December 27, 2007 N 706-IV AP)].
20. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Murmanskoj oblasti do 2025 goda, (Postanovlenie Pravitel'stva Murmanskoj oblasti ot ...
Spatio-temporal patterns of knowledge transfer in the borderland
... transfer is yet to be investigated. This article analyses models of knowledge integration taking place between Russia’s northwestern regions and the countries that their border. The study covers six territories of the Northwestern federal district (the Republic of Karelia, St Petersburg, and the Kaliningrad, Leningrad, Murmansk, and Pskov regions); five regions of the Central federal district (Belgorod, Bryansk, Voronezh, Kursk, and Smolensk); and one region of the Southern federal district (Rostov). The methodology ...
Trends in the development of cross-border trade in the Russian-Finnish borderlands
... statistics and data analysis. We describe the Russian and international approaches to studying cross-border shopping tourism. We address Finland’s experience in stimulating inbound shopping tourism from Russia and examine why the Russians are attracted to the neighbouring state.
Stepanova S. V., Shlapeko E. A.
border region, Russian-Finnish borderland, shopping tourism, Republic of Karelia, Finland, peddlar trade
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
15. Shegelman, I. R., Schegoleva, L. V., Lukashevich, V. M. 2007, Primenenie GIS-tehnologij v izuchenii klimaticheskih i pochvenno-gruntovyh uslovij Respubliki Karelija [Application of GIS technology in the study of climatic and soil conditions of the Republic of Karelia], Vestnik Severnogo (Arkticheskogo) federal'nogo universiteta, Serija «Estestvennye nauki» [Vestnik of Northern (Arctic) Federal University, Natural Sciences], no. 1, p. 22—27.
16. Arefiev, N. V., Fedorov, M. P., Badenko, V. L., Osipov, G....
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
. pdf (accessed 15.04.2016).
18. Shlapeko, Е. А. 2012, The role of urban elites and the sister city movement in the formation of cross-border regions (on the example of the development of external relations of the Petrozavodsk urban district, the Republic of Karelia), Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevskogo [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. N. I. Lobachevsky], no. 4 (1), p. 374—380. (In Russ.)
19. Shli, K. 2015, XIII Parliamentary Forum of the Southern Zone of the Baltic ...
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... Increasing the Efficiency of International Business Activities, Balt. Reg., Vol. 6, no. 3, p. 45—57. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-3-4.
11. Bazhenov, Yu. N., Podshuveit, O. V. 2012, Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development, Balt. Reg., Vol. 4, no. 1, p. 52—59. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-6.
12. Baransky, N. N. 1980, Nauchnye printsipy geografii [Scientific principles of geography], Part 1, Moscow, p. 79—86. (in Russ....
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
....ru/ (accessed 11.02.2015).
38. The territorial body of the Federal State Statistics Service of the Murmansk region, available at: http://murmanskstat.gks.ru/ (accessed 11.02.2015).
39. The territorial body of the Federal State Statistics Service of the Republic of Karelia, available at: http://krl.gks.ru (accessed 11.02.2015).
40. The territorial body of the Federal State Statistics Service of the city of St. Petersburg and Leningrad region, available at: http://petrostat.gks.ru (accessed 11.02.2015).
41. The ...