Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
In this paper, we look at the interregional cooperation in adjacent areas. Specifically, we focus our attention on the cluster of regions formed by the city of St. Petersburg, the Leningrad region and the Republic of Karelia. All three areas face a number of challenges when it comes to international trade: challenges that are shared and that require strategic coordinated solutions from regional decisionmakers. One of such solutions, for example, could require pooling of competitive advantages of these areas. The analysis of strategic documents of regional development, however, shows that the issue of interregional cooperation has not been duly addressed at any level, theoretical or practical. It is important to strengthen international trade capacity and to increase cooperation in other areas of cross-border relations, since these processes are crucial for Russia’s integration into the global markets.
1. Chub, A. A. 2011, K voprosu o formirovanii transgranichnyh regionov na territorii Rossijskoj Federacii [On the formation of the cross-border regions in the Russian Federation], Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 25, p. 27—34.
2. Dvorcova, E. N. 2011, Otechestvennyj i zarubezhnyj opyt upravlenija hozjajstvom pribrezhnyh territorij [National and international experience of economic management of coastal areas], Menedzhment v Rossii i za rubezhom, no. 2, p. 48—55.
3. Pahomov, A. 2010, Strategija razvitija vneshnejekonomicheskogo kompleksa Rossijskoj Federacii [The development strategy of foreign economic complex of the
Russian Federation], Problemy teorii i praktiki upravlenija, no. 11, p. 18—29.
4. Pavlov, K. V. 2011, Razrabotka metodiki ocenki sostojanija proektov i programm mezhregional'nogo prigranichnogo sotrudnichestva [Development of methodology for evaluation of projects and programs, inter-border cooperation],
Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 6, p. 2—8.
5. Vardomskij, L. B. 2009, Rossijskoe porubezh'e v uslovijah globalizacii, Moscow, Knizhnyj dom «Librokom», 216 p.