Depopulation of coastal rural Lithuania: do regional parks stabilise the situation?
Regional parks in Lithuania preserve the most valuable physical and cultural components of the landscape, NATURA 2000 habitats, etc. Usually, they are located in natural or semi-natural landscapes of rural areas. These territories, however, have a higher depopulation rate than urbanised districts. Still, conservation priority areas were expected to attract young families as permanent residents and make their population more stable. This study aims to investigate ...
Innovative development of rural settlements of the Leningrad region
The geography of modern innovation processes increasingly covers not only megalopolises and large industrial cities, but also rural areas. The issue of innovative development of the countryside has acquired particular prominence in the context of securing human capital and preventing the marginalization of rural settlements, though creating a favorable environment for life and business ...
Measuring social well-being in the rural areas of the Kaliningrad region
... degree of social wellbeing is assessed on the basis of an analysis of statistical data and expert evaluations. Rural districts were identified in the Kaliningrad region on the basis of the following criteria: the share of population residing in the rural areas (threshold value of 50 %); the share of non-residential areas (threshold value of 75 %), the share of agricultural lands (threshold value of 50 %). Further analysis was based on the indices of geodemographic situation, investment potential, and ...
Rural areas of russia’s north-west borderland: problems and development paths
This article focuses on the rural areas of Russia’s North-West borderlands, particularly, the municipal districts and towns that are closest to the national border. The study aims to identify problems in the development of these territories and provide solutions to them. The methodological ...
Rural areas of Eastern Germany: modern challenges
... eastern territories seemed to have picked up its pace. Yet the main problems those territories are facing today hatched already in the mid-1990s. In our study we address the problems and challenges that hinder sustainable development of East German rural areas. We analyse agricultural statistics and describe the structure of agricultural enterprises, land-use, and other critical dimensions of agriculture. We discuss pros and cons of modern rural areas spatial planning policy and take a critical look at ...
Innovative factors and conditions of sustainable development of rural territories
... conditions. Research and technological cooperation in the Baltic region is emphasised as a priority area.
1. Koncepcija ustojchivogo razvitija sel'skih territorij Rossijskoj Federacii na period do 2020 goda [The concept of sustainable development in rural areas of the Russian Federation until 2020], Rasporjazhenie Pravitel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii ot 30 nojabrja 2010 g. № 2136-r [Order of the Government of the Russian Federation on November 30, 2010 № 2136-r].
2. Ob utverzhdenii Doktriny prodovol'stvennoj ...
Assessment of transport accessibility of rural territories of the Kaliningrad region using methods of sociological research
... the most ‘challenged’ municipalities of the Kaliningrad region. The Slavsky municipality is considered to be the most exposed nfrastructurally, while Gvardeysk experiences organizational difficulties.
transport accessibility, rural areas, municipalities, the Kaliningrad region, case study
The indicators of sustainable development of rural territories: regional dimension
This article considers the methodological aspects of implementation of the rural area sustainable development concept in Russia. The authors show the advantages of indicative assessment of sustainable development at the regional level. The article presents a methodological approach to the development of sustainable development indicators ...
Innovation centres as growth points for smaller towns and rural areas
This article addresses the role of innovative centres in the development of surrounding areas beyond large cities. At the same time, the innovative development of rural areas should be of a composite nature; municipality development strategies take innovations into account. International practices serve as a an argument in favour of establishing innovative centres in smaller and medium-sized towns in order to facilitate ...
Conditions and perspectives of rural-urban partnership development in the Kaliningrad Region
М. Федорова, Л.
Э. Лимонова, Н.
Ю. Одинг. Калининград
The changing nature of rurality and rural studies in
// Journal of Rural Studies.
Klimenko N. A., Levchenko A. V.
CIS, industrial areas, central andperipheral development, territorial structure of industry
The relationship between transport accessibility and quality of life in rural areas of the Kaliningrad region
For Russian rural areas, the level of transport accessibility is increasingly a decisive factor in socio-economic development. Since this process has long been self-regulated and secondary among the tasks of regional development, today not all opportunities to improve ...
Modern lines of research on rural population distribution systems
This article analyses contemporary lines of research on the rural population distribution systems and offers a review of the contemporary process in rural areas. The factors affecting the population distribution are identified by the authors.
И., Зубаревич Н.
Кризис урбанизации и сельская местность России
Agriculture produce procurement in the post-war years (based on the materials of the Kaliningrad rural district of the Kaliningrad region)
This article analyses the policy of compulsory procurement of agricultural produce from farmers in the late 1940s — mid-1950s. Currently, the public procurement of the Stalin era is recognised as a forced seizure of grain and other products in rural areas. Based on the materials from the Kaliningrad rural district (the only one, whose procurement structure fund has been preserved by the State archive of the Kaliningrad region), the author traces the forced procurement policies and draws conclusions ...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
... that the overcoming of spatial heterogeneity should be considered at the regional level from the perspective of improving the stability of district population distribution systems and strengthening organisational and economic ties between urban and rural areas. The author issues a number of recommendations for overcoming the spatial differentiation and ensuring a balanced development of district population distribution systems.
1. Alaev, E. B. 1983, Social'no-jekonomicheskaja geografija. Ponjatijno-terminologicheskij ...
The characteristics of the biogenic element of the runoff fr om the drainage areas of the Gulf of Finland basin experiencing a lim ited anthropogenic impact
... the streamflow chemical composition was performed. The authors consider the dynamics of biogenic element content in the streamflow, the relation of the drainage areas to certain landscapes, the share of agricultural lands and tillage in the drainage areas, the forest-land percentage, a rural population density, and the forest age and type.
1. Isachenko, A. G. 1995. Jekologicheskaja geografija Severo-Zapada. Part. 2.St. Petersburg.
2. Kondratiev, S. A. 2007. Formirovanie vneshnej nagruzki na vodoemy: problemy modelirovanija. St. Petersburg....
Geography of inbound tourism and transboundary tourism-and-recreation region-building in Sweden
... vol. 194, no. 1, p. 18—31. doi: 194. 10.11143/46265.
3. Rytkönen, P., Tunón, H. 2020, Summer Farmers, Diversification and Rural Tourism — Challenges and Opportunities in the Wake of the Entrepreneurial Turn in Swedish Policies (1991—2019), Sustainability,... ... 107—123. doi: 10.6092/issn.2036-5195/6758.
6. Lundmark, L. J. T., Fredman, P., Sandell, K. 2010, National Parks and Protected Areas and the Role for Employment in Tourism and Forest Sectors: a Swedish Case, Ecology and Society, vol. 15, no. 1, р. 19. ...
Changes in the cultural landscape of the Kaliningrad region’s periphery in the 19th/20th centuries
... Ya., Fedorov, G. М. 1977, Sistema rasselenija v pol'dernyh rajonah Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Settlement system in the polder areas of the Kaliningrad region]. In: Narodnoe hozjajstvo Kaliningradskoj oblasti problemy i puti razvitija [The national economy ... ... Prussia], Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 1, p. 119—125.
15. Kovalev, S. А. 1963, Sel'skoe rasselenie [Rural resettlement], Moscow, 372 p.
16. Kostyashov, Yu. V. 2009, Baltika, Sekretnaja istorija Kaliningradskoj oblasti. Ocherki ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
... at: http://atlas.mcx.ru/materials/egrpr/content.html (accessed 10.03.2015).
3. Yepifanova, А. А., Luhmanov, D. N. 2010, Transformacija zaselennosti sel'skoj mestnosti Central'nogo Chernozem'ja (1959—2008gg.) [Transformation of the population of rural areas of the Central Black Soil Region (1959—2008)]. In: Artobolevsky, S. S., Sintserov, L. M. (eds.), Szhatie social'no-jekonomicheskogo prostranstva: novoe v teorii regional'nogo razvitija i praktike ego gosudarstvennogo regulirovanija [Compression ...
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
... association (ERSA) Jyvaskyla, Finland, August 27—30, 2003, available at: https://www.jyu.fi/ersa2003/cdrom/papers/503.pdf (accessed: 11.12.2013).
28. Bijker, R. A., Haartsen, T. 2012, More than Counter-urbanisation: Migration to Popular and Less-popular Rural Areas in the Netherlands, Рopulation, Space and Place, no. 18, p. 643—657.
29. Richardson, H. W. 1973, Regional growth theory, N. Y.
30. Todd, D. 1974, An appraisal of the development pole concept in regional analysis, Environment and Planning, p....
The Development of New Trans-border Water Routes in the South-East Baltic: Methodology and Practice
... вестник экологического образования. 2013. № 4 (26). С. 65—70. URL: http://elibrary.ru/(дата обращения: 15.06.2014).
28. Briedenhann J., Wickens E. Tourism routes as a tool for the economic development of rural areas—vibrant hope or impossible dream? // Tourism Management 25. 2004. P. 71—79. URL: www.elsvier.com
29. Cudny W. Michalski T., Rouba R. (eds.) Tourism and the transformation of large cities in the post — communist countries of Central and Eastern ...
An analysis of possible damage of electrical devices by thunderstorm activity on the model of cloud-to-ground discharge
The present work is devoted to analysis of the risk of impact of electric energy of thunderstorm activity on the electrical devices, including home appliances, located in areas with low-rise buildings and in rural areas.
1. Базелян Э. М., Райзер В. П. Физика молнии и молниезащиты. М., 2001.
2. Кравченко В. И. Грозозащита радиоэлектронных средств. М., 1991.
3. Лукин ...
L. woodpegion in the towns of the Kaliningrad region
... эволюции урболандшафта. М., 2009.
5. Nowakowski J. Changes in the breeding avifauna of Olsztyn (NE Poland) in the years 1968—1993 // Acta ornithologica. 1996. Vol. 31 (1). P. 39—44.
6. Tomiałojč L. The impact of predation on urban and rural Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus L.) populations // Pol. Ecol. Stud. 1979. Vol. 5. P. 141—220.
7. Gorski W., Antczak J., Hetmanski T. Survey and monitoring of breeding habitats:the breeding ecology of the Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus in urban areas of North-West Poland // Acta Zoologica Lituanica, Ornitologia. 1998. Vol. 8. P.137—142.
8. Tomiałojć L. Changes in the breeding avifauna of two urban parks of Legnica after 40 years // Notatki Ornitologiczne. 2007. № 48. P. 232—245.
Demographic change in Germany and reversal of spatial ageing patterns
The paper presents the result of a spatial analysis considering the effect of demographic ageing and ageing-in-place processes in Germany according to spatially differentiated ageing patterns among urban, sub-urban and rural counties up to 2025. As to the latest official population forecast counties of urban core regions will undergo a slower ageing process than other types of counties, resulting in a reversal of ageing patterns. Urban core areas in this analysis will gain demographically from their net migration surplus while suburban housing locations of the past will be no longer able to attract enough young migrants to compensate for their now rapidly ageing baby boomer generation. The ...
Eхperience of the Baile-Felix tourist system (Romania) for the protection and promotion of the grey seal as a brand on the Hel Peninsular (Poland)
The Pârâul Pețea Nature Reserve is located in Bihor County (Romania), in the area of the Băile-Felix rural tourist system. It has gained international popularity due to the existence of an ecosystem with thermal waters. Thermal springs are the habitat of rare fauna (Scardinius racovitzai, Melanopsis parreyssi) and flora species including the unique Nymphaea ...
The features of heavy metal accumulation in forest mushrooms in the Kaliningrad region
... Concentrations in Wild Edible Mushrooms in Finland // The finnish environment. 2008. N 25. URL: http://hdl. handle.net/10138/38380 (дата обращения: 04.12.2014).
26. Svoboda L., Chrastny V. Contents of eight trace elements in edible mushrooms from a rural area // Food Additives and Contaminants. 2007. 25.01. P. 51—58.
Koroleva Yu., Okhrimenko M.
heavy metals, accumulation, wild mushrooms
Pollination as an ecosystem service in agricultural nature management
... 1991—2004 interannual dynamics of providing ecosystem services by the agricultural geosystem was analysed in the case of a model area. The author em-phasizes the impact of climate change on the ecosystem service.
1. Гаева Д. В., Баринова Г.... ... обращения: 18.10.2014).
8. An introductory guide to valuing ecosystem services Department for Environ-ment // Food and Rural Affairs. L. 2007. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/ nature/biodiversity/economics/pdf/valuing_ecosystems.pdf (да¬та ...
Cross-border Tourism in the Russian Northwest: General Trends and Features of Development
... Mata Sánchez N. D., Gijón-Cruz A. S. et al. The impact of nostalgia tourism and family remittances in the development of a rural Oaxacan community. URL: www.google.ru/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd
=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Festudiosdeldesarrollo.... ... usg=AFQjCNGi7ShTHTB6uG8iT2LbDKhdTFxlEw&bvm=bv.53217764,d.bGE (дата обращения: 14.10.2013).
19. Miettinen E. Border areas as tourist destination for Russian travellers: russian tourists in Finland // Pearls of the coniferous forest. 20th anniversary ...
Risk Analysis at Industrial Enterprises Exposed to Post-Earthquake Fires
... question should be employed in both preparing architectural plans of buildings and structures and conducting rescue operations in emergencies. Based on this analysis, I draw a sample of categorized industrial facilities located in smaller cities and rural areas.
1. Сулейманов А. А. Установка по определению аспирационных потоков // Материалы 15-й научно-технической конференции «Системы безопасности» ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... Studies, no. 15, p. 549—566.
19. Tödtling, F., Trippl, M. 2005, One size fits all? Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach, Research Policy, no. 34, p. 1203—1219.
20. Virkkala, S. 2007, Innovation and networking in peripheral areas — a case study of emergence and change in rural manufacturing, European Planning Studies, no. 15, p. 511—529.
Kolesnikov N., Tolstoguzov O.
economic space transformation, core-periphery, spatial inequality, structure of gross regional product
The boundaries of the territorial community
... technologies // Economic Geography. 1995. № 71(1). P. 1—26.
55. Granovetter M. Economic action and social structure: The problem of embeddedness // American Journal of Sociology. 1985. № 91. P. 481—510.
56. Hillery G. A. Definitions of Community: Area of Agreement // Rural Sociology. 1955. № 20(2). P. 111—123.
57. Hoover E. M., Giarratani F. An Introduction to Regional Economics. URL:
(дата обращения: 02.02.2015).
58. Innovation networks and innovative ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
... Russian-Finnish borderlands, Balt. Reg., vol. 10, no. 4, p. 103—117. doi: 10.5922/ 2079-8555-2018-4-7.
3. Tambovceva, T., Atstaja, D., Tereshina, M., Uvarova, I., Livina, A. 2020, Sustainability Challenges and Drivers of Cross-Border Greenway Tourism in Rural Areas, Sustainability, no. 12, 5927. doi:10.3390/su12155927.
4. Fedorov, G. M., Kuznetsova, T. Yu. 2019, The coastal microdistricts of the Baltic region: the spatial aspects of development, Ekonomika regiona [Economy of Region], no. 15 (1), p. 137—150....