Minimising Investment Risks Through Optimising Public-Private Partnership: The Case of the Kaliningrad Region
This study undertakes a contextual analysis of economic and legal risks associated with investment in the Kaliningrad region. The authors emphasise the importance of public-private partnership (PPP) in minimising such risks in order to enhance the region’s attractiveness and to solve development problems. PPP has never been studied as a means to minimise regional investment risks in current conditions. This accounts for the scientific ...
Opportunities and Challenges of Large Investment Projects in the New Economy: the Port of Ust-Luga
... and lack of investment. Based on the analysis of challenges, it is concluded that there are significant risks associated predominantly with lack of investment. In these conditions, a large investment project requires the enhancement of public-private partnership, which will ensure the timely implementation of such projects
1. Strategija razvitija morskoj dejatel'nosti Rossijskoj Federacii do 2030goda,utverzhdena Rasporjazheniem Pravitel'stva RF ot 8 dekabrja 2010 g. № 2205-r
[Strategy of development ...
The Role of Small Countries in Post-Soviet Territorial Restructuring: the Baltic Case
... evaluates the contribution of Latvia and Estonia (the former Soviet republics set to preside over the EU in 2015 and 2018) to the shift in the power balance in the post-Soviet space. Through assessing the actions of small countries in promoting the Eastern Partnership programme with an emphasis on the anti-Russian agenda, the author concludes that they will inflict harm on the EU in a long-term perspective. These former Soviet republics no longer rely on mere diplomacy, but resort to a whole new problematic ...
A regional level of integration processes: the opportunities for public-private partnership (the case of entrepresneurship)
This article explores the possibility of using the methods of public-private partnership (PPP) in integration processes, including those at a regional level.The author offers a typology of PPP projects and models of cooperation between business and authorities with regard to integration. The article describes specific practices ...
Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation in the Baltic region: the untapped potential
A stereotypical understanding of EU-Russia energy relations is often reduced to trade in oil and natural gas, which downplays the importance of energy efficiency cooperation. Such cooperation is promoted within the Energy Charter and its Treaty, Partnership and Cooperation Agreement, Energy Dialogue, Common Economic Space, Partnership for Modernisation. However, it lacks practical development, which relates to the instability of the legal environment in Russia, insufficient mechanisms of financial ...
The development of cooperation between the European Union and Russia on migration issues: from „the „common spaces” to the actual implementation
EU-Russia cooperation has experienced problems in many areas. Nevertheless, cooperation in the field of migration proves to be successful. Through analyzing the EU-Russia migration agenda from the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (1997) to the Roadmap for the Common Space on Freedom, Security and Justice (2005), the article assesses the main results of its implementation, such as the Readmission and Visa Facilitation agreements. Moreover, ...
The Northern Dimension policy: current state and development prospects
... Dimension with external and cross-border policies of the European Union 2000—2003. 2000. European Council. Doc. No. 9401/00 NIS 76, Brussels, 14 June.
12. Memorandum of Understanding setting out the modalities of establishing the Northern Dimension Partnership on Culture. 2010. EUROPA: the official website of the European Union. [online] Available at: <http://ec.europa.eu/external _relations /north_dim/ docs/mou_culture_0510_en.pdf> (Accessed 22 July 2010).
13. Browning, C. 2003. Journal ...
Conditions and perspectives of rural-urban partnership development in the Kaliningrad Region
The article considers key conditions for implementation of urbanrural partnership in Russian regions as a means of a new approach to regional development problems solving.
Проблемы и перспективы местного самоуправления: независимая ...
Entin M., Entina E. Rossia i Evropeyskiy soyuz v 2011—2014 godah: v poiskah partnerskih otnosheniy [Russia and the European Union in 2011-2014: A search for a partnership]. V. M.: Izdatelstvo “E”, 2015. T. 1. 864 s.; t. 2. 752 s.
The development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations: 2010 results
... the development of sectoral EU-Russia agreements, and soft law amendments, as well as relevant regulations of the European Union and Russian law. The article reviews current initiatives and approaches of the Parties in the legal regulation of the „Partnership for modernisation".
1. Postojannoe predstavitel'stvo Rossijskoj Federacii pri Evropejskom Sojuze [The Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the European Union], available at: http://www. russianmission. eu (accessed 17 December ...
Human rights in EU-Russia relations: a human rights mechanism
... (Тасис/ИЕСП). Официальный сайт Представительства ЕС в России. URL: http://eeas.europa. eu/delegations/russia/eu_russia/tech_financial_cooperation/index_ru.htm (дата обращения: 13.03.2013).
2. Agreement on partnership and cooperation establishing a partnership between the European Communities and their member states, of one part, and the Russia Federation, of the other part // Official journal of the European Communities. 1997. 28 Nov. L327/3-L327/69.
Perspectives of Euroregions with Russian Participation in Terms of Changes in the EU Regional Policy
Policy — Inforegio. European Territorial Co-operation. URL
Neighbourhood & Partnership Instrument. Cross-Border Cooperation. Strategy Paper 2007—2013. Indicative Programme 2007—2010. URL: http://ec.europa.eu/world/enp/pdf/country/enpi_cross-border_cooperation_strategy_paper_en.pdf
(дата обращения: ...
Good-neighbourly relations and the European Neighbourhood Policy — What is the Difference?
... European Policy Studies Book Store. URL:
from the Commission "European Neighbourhood Policy" // COM. 2004. 373 final.
from the Commission "Eastern Partnership" // COM. 2008. 823/4.
Im Osten was Neues //
Spotlight Europe. 2009. 06.
of the European Union. Presidency Conclusions. 7880. 09.
of the European Union. 8435/09 (Presse ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
... perspective for territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region and discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing maritime spatial planning and management are key issues to be solved in transnational cooperation
— Gdansk Declaration. Sixth Conference of Ministers responsible ...
Evolution of the Regional Religious Policy in the Saratov region (1989—2017)
... freedom of religion. The author analyses the principles of regulating the activity of religious organizations, and monitoring their interaction with different religious confessions in the Saratov region. Special attention is paid to the emerging system of partnership between the state and religious institutions, which is a key vector in the development of religious policy at the subnational level.
1. Лиценбергер О. А., Семенов Н. В. Этноконфессиональная ситуация ...
EU — Russia energy cooperation: major development trends and the present state
... 2004, A New World Order. Princeton, New York, Princeton University Press.
10. Rosenau, J. N., Czempiel, E.-O. (eds.) 1992, Governance Without Government: Order and Change in World Politic, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
11. Agreement on Partnership and Cooperation, Establishing a Partnership between the European Communities and their Member States, of the one part, and the Russian Federation, of the other part, 1997, 27 November.
12. Concluding Document of the Hague Conference on the ...
Europe without Russia and the Eastern
... аналитический доклад / под ред. О. Гаман-Голутвиной ; Российская ассоциация политической науки. — М., 2014. — 92 с.
[Ponomareva E., Shishelina L. Latvian presidency of the EU-2015: Eastern partnership instead of or with Russia : an analytical report / ed. by O. Gaman-Golutvina ; Russian Political Science Association. — M., 2014. — 92 pp.]
Polish-Russian Small Border Traffic in the Context of Russia-EU Relations
... social, cultural, touristic, and economic contacts. It is worth noting that the agreement is one of very few examples of EU —Russia cooperation, especially in context of deterioration thereof observed over the last several years.
1. Agreement on partnership and cooperation establishing a partnership between the European Communities and their Member States, of one part, and the Russian Federation, of the other part. URL: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:21997A1128(01):EN:HTML ...
Innovative factors and conditions of sustainable development of rural territories
... Evropejskogo Sojuza po territorial'nomu sotrudnichestvu i Evropejskogo instrumenta sosedstva i partnerstva [Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007—2013. Within the objectives of the European Union on territorial cooperation and the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument], available at: http://eu.baltic.net/redaktion/ download.php?id=1107&type=file (accessed 2 June 2012).
11. Commission Staff Working Paper. Appendix to the report of the Commission, addressed the European Parliament, the Council,...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... culture, energy efficiency and ecological construction, as well as the development of creative industries. The article pays attention to large-scale national projects, such as “St. Petersburg Corridor — Two Model Open Innovation Platform” and “Partnership in commercialization of Russian innovations”.
1. Budargin, G. 2009, Evroregiony s uchastiem Rossii: istorija sozdanija i perspektivy razvitija [Euro-regions with the participation of Russia: history and prospects], 4CS. Ru: Eksperty dlja ...
Innovation Capacity of Russia and the Baltics: a Comparative Approach
... sotrudnichestve, uchrezhdajushhego partnerstvo mezhdu Rossijskoj Federaciej, s odnoj storony, i Evropejskimi soobshhestvami i ih gosudarstvami — chlenami, s drugoj storony (Federal'nyj zakon ot 25.11.1996 N 135-FZ) [On ratification of the Agreement on Partnership and Cooperation Agreement establishing a partnership between the Russian Federation, on the one hand, and the European Communities and their Member States — members of the other party (the Federal Law of 25.11.1996 N 135-FZ)], legal-reference ...
Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West
... practices and presents the theoretical and practical aspects of designing and developing transboundary tourist routes in the border regions of Russia’s North-West. The author describes successful tourist routes within the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI) crossborder cooperation programmes. Particular attention is paid to the routes in the Republic of Karelia — the Blue Road, the White Road, and the Mining Road. The article stresses the importance of developing transboundary ...
The international experience of integration of education, research, and business
... Саарбрюккен, 2012.
6. Crow M. Linking Scientific Research to Societal Outcomes // AAAS Science and Technology Policy Yearbook 2001. Washington (DC), 2001. P. 129—131.
7. Weerts D. State Governments and Research Universities: A Framework for a Renewed Partnership. N. Y., 2002.
university, research, education, scientific, business, types of integration.
Small and medium public-private enterprises in the Brest region of the Republic of Belarus: performance and characteristics
8. О развитии предпринимательства в Брестской области. URL:
(дата обращения: 15.05.2016).
Kubina N., Shved I.
public-private partnership, entrepreneurship, small and medium entrepreneurship
Foreign lobbying as an instrument of defense cooperation between Poland and the United States
... Polish lobbying activities in the US and an empirical study of lobbying based on analysis of original documents, many of which have been analysed for the first time. It is shown that, under the existing party system, Poland will not abandon strategic partnership with the United States, primarily in security and defence. Over the study period, Poland quickly gained experience in promoting its interests in the US through direct lobbying, showing flexibility in negotiations, relying on the two-party ...
The development of a mechanism for stimulating the innovative activity of small enterprises
... региональной экономики. 2010. № 5. С. 3—9.
6. Business Incubators in the Baltic Sea Region — ways to increase quality and effectivness:Report WP 3.1 & 3.2. European Regional Development Fund and European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument. Borlänge: Stiftelsen Teknikdalen,2011.
7. Дупленко Н. Г., Леванова Н. Е. Повышение инновационной активности предприятия с помощью инструментов ...
Moral and spiritual education in the conditions of civilisational challenges
... reintroducing moral and spiritual education and ex-presses concerns about the national system of education losing its values and targets. The article proposes ways to increase the efficiency of moral and spiri-tual education in the framework of social partnership.
1. Бердяев Н. А. Смысл творчества. М., 1994.
2. Гальцова Е. С. Проблемы духовно-нравственного воспитания личности в современной России ...
Political technologies and international conflicts in the information space of the Baltic Sea region
... region it is necessary to take into account common interests. There is a pressing need to join efforts in solving the challenging social problems that cannot be overcome without either international cooperation among the countries or effective social partnership.
Kirilenko V. P., Alexeyev G. V.
information security, Baltic Sea common information space, media, national interests, diplomacy, information operations, Baltic region, international cooperation
The role of the Kaliningrad region in the development of Russian-German relations
Germany is one of the principal partners of the Russian Federation. The Kaliningrad region plays a significant role in the development of partnership between the two countries, but the existing opportunities for development are not fully exploited. This article analyses the development, current state and prospects of an increasing role of the region in Russian-German cooperation. The authors ...
Cultural Islam in Northern Europe
... into the factors affecting the dynamics of this phenomenon have both theoretical and practical significance since they help to evaluate the most promising forms of cooperation within regional collaborations and national programmes for international partnership. The forces promoting the cultural Islam project position it as an antidote for political and radical Islam. At the same time, the main factor preventing the legitimation of cultural Islam across immigrant Moslem groups (or, more precisely,...
The traditions of Russian and European perception of the state frontier in the conditions of transborder regional cooperation
... frontier in mass consciousness, which can vary from country to country. The state frontier is a key imperative of trans-border regional cooperation. The trans-border relations between Russia and the EU serve a foundation for the development of strategic partnership, and it is cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea region that proves to be most efficient in this respect. At present, there are several cooperation mechanisms and programmes in place which are aimed at enhancing Russia — EU relations ...
North-West Russia in the context of European integration
14. Tiilikainen, T. 2001, The Political Implications of the EU Enlargement to the Baltic States, European University Institute Working Paper RSC, no. 1, p. 21.
Kochegarova Tamara, Simonyan Renald
global challenges, regionalization, cooperation, partnership, intercivilization border areas, Western and Russian values, sociocultural diffusion, convergence, European integration
On transferability of highways
... федеральный закон от 13 июля 2015 г. № 224-ФЗ // Собрание законодательства Российской Федерации. 2015. № 29 (часть 1). Ст. 4350.
roads, transferability, public-private partnership
The origins of confrontation with Western countries and the “Munich speech” of Vladimir Putin
... Russia’s President Vladimir Putin made a speech at the Munich conference on security. In his speech, Vladimir Putin criticized the dominance policy pursued by the USA and its allies and spoke about the need to form a new system of world order based on partnership and good neighbourly relations between countries. Only these relations can ensure security and prosperity for the whole world. Unfortunately, Western leaders failed to respond to Vladimir Putin’s proposal and continued to support the dominance ...
Geopolitical development potential of the Russian exclusive region: search for key strategy and mechanisms for its implementation in new conditions
... The Journal of Eurasian Research. 2003. Vol. 2, № 1. Р. 23—28.
21. Mezhevich N. Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project // Baltic Region. 2016. Vol. 8, № 1. P. 17—32.
22. Political and Legal Perspectives of the EU Eastern Partnership Policy / ed. by T. Kerikmäe, A. Chochia. Springer, 2016.
Mezhevich N. M., Tarasov I. N.
geopolitics, region, regional economy, exclave, development strategy, cross-border cooperation
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... international tourism market uphold and improve the image of Lithuania in the Baltic Sea region. The interregional cooperation between Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia in the field of international tourism development is based on the principle of public private partnership. It has been recently acknowledged that the three Baltic States form an integrating region in the field of international tourism and thus affect the Kaliningrad region, North-east Poland, Southern Finland, and partially Belarus. Therefore,...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
... important to take into account other innovative tools: for instance, interactive network museums in developing innovative tourist attraction objects, e-marketing in introducing innovations in tourist product promotion, programmes of private- public partnership in the field of public regulation and tourism stimulation, etc. These technologies contribute to the transition fr om a certain economic agent, the industry as a whole, or a tourist destination to a fundamentally new level in terms of tourist ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union, the key player in the Baltic. The author identifies Russian economic, military, political, and humanitarian interests in the region, and describes the...
The Belarus Business Environment as Assessed by the Management of Leading Finnish Companies Operating in the Country
... Worthington, I., Britton, C. 2009, The business environment, Financial Times & Prentice Hall, Harlow.
23. Wilk, P. 2012, Belarus slide package for a foreign investor, Pan-European Institute, University of Turku.
24. World Bank: World Bank Group — Belarus Partnership: Country Program Snapshot, available at: http://www.worldbank.org/content/dam/Worldbank/document/Belarus-Snapshot.pdf (accessed 12.08.2014).
25. World Bank: Doing Business, available at: http://www.doingbusiness.org/~/media/GIAWB/Doing%20Business/Documents/Annual-Reports/English/DB13-fullreport....
Modern Lithuanian foreign policy: the adjustment of traditional policy
The authors consider the core areas of Lithuanian foreign policy. Special attention is paid to the adjustment of the major foreign policy vector, which concentrated earlier on the cooperation with the United States of America and strategic partnership with the Republic of Poland. The article analyses the attempts of Lithuanian president Dalia Grybauskaitė to formulate the so-called «new foreign policy» based on the multivector approach to the intergovernmental cooperation. This research ...
St Petersburg Business Information Centres and Their Role in Increasing the Efficiency of International Business Activities
... the institution of regional offices abroad. In the course of the study, new theoretical and methodological questions as to improving the regulatory framework for development and functioning of Russian regional offices abroad, the use of public-private partnership mechanism in foreign economic activities and information technologies of positive image promotion were formulated.
1. Анненкова А. А. Методические подходы к оценке внешнеэкономического ...
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
... a new meaning to the concept of the region.
1. Memorandum o vzaimoponimanii, ustanavlivajuschij mechanism uchrezdenija Partnerstva “Severnogo ismerenija” v oblasti transporta I logistiki [The Memorandum of Understanding establishes mechanist Partnership institution "Northern istereniya" in the field of transport and logistics], 2009, Neapol, available at: http://www.mintrans.ru:8080/pressa/PSITL/PSITL_Memorandum.htm (accessed 02.11.2015).
2. Na Baltiku poveyalo s Ukrainy [Baltic ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... between the cities of Russia’s North-West and their Baltic counterparts. Therefore, it is important to seize the opportunities provided by the information society and focus on the innovative areas of regional cooperation. An interesting example is the partnership between Baltic universities, which is aimed to draw up an international agenda for sustainable regional development. Baltic cities are involved in various forms of cross-border cooperation, providing opportunities for interstate relations ...
Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives
....lv/ru/information/history/history-juridicalaspects/?print=on (accessed 03.04.2014).
8. Ponomareva, Е., Shishelina, L. 2014, Predsedatel'stvo Latvii v ES-2015: «Vostochnoe partnerstvo» vmesto ili vmeste s Rossiej: analiticheskij doklad [Latvia's EU Presidency 2015: "Eastern partnership" instead of or together with Russia: analytical report], Gaman, O. (ed.), Moscow, 92 p.
9. Mälksoo, L. 2005, Nõukogude anneksioon ja riigi järjepidevus: Eesti, Läti ja Leedu staatus rahvusvahelises õiguses 1940. a — 1991. a ja ...
Current problems in Russian-Latvian relations
... participation in the WTO for Latvia], 2012, available at: http://finam.info/news/chem-opasno-uchastie-rossii-v-vto-dlya-latvii/ (accessed 11 April 2013).
21. Tikhonov, Ye. 2012, Rossija — Latvija: novyj jetap partnerstva [Russia — Latvia: a new stage of partnership], available at: www.latvia.mid.ru/Tihonov_3A4.pdf (accessed 12 April 2013).
22. O vizite ministra promyshlennosti i torgovli Rossijskoj Federacii D. V. Manturova v Latviju [Visit of the Minister of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation ...
Security in the Baltic region as a Projection of Global Confrontation between Russia and the USA
13. Adler, E., Barnett, M. 1998, Security Communities, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
14. Adriatic-Baltic-Black sea initiative. A triangle of stronger partnership, 2015, Newsletter of the Office of the President of the Republic of Croatia, no. 2.
15. Andersson, J. 2015, Defence: solidarity, trust and threat perception, European Union Institute for Security Studies, July 2015. Available at:
Key actors of German ‘soft power’ in the Baltics
... strategy uses ‘High German’ as a means to integrate the Baltic audience into the German information space. The German language serves as a basis for popularisation of the German educational system and educational standards, on the one hand, and partnership institutionalisation, cooperation, and integration on the other. It is concluded that, alongside Sweden and Russia, Germany is a major foreign policy player in the Baltics.
1. Lanshina, Т. А. 2014, «Mjagkaja sila» Germanii: kul'tura,...
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
Regional brands have become a valuable intangible asset and a crucial competitive resource for forging partnerships. An effective place branding policy is impossible without a precise understanding of the interests of stakeholder groups. It is essential to realize that each region is unique in its own way. Territories differ in the structure of stakeholders,...
The Place of Hermann Cohen’s Ideas in the Philosophy of Dialogue
... Cohen’s logic of the origin expounded in the first part of his system in The Logic of Pure Cognition. Cohen explains that the origin of the self-consciousness of I as a personality is not the external world, but another person, i.e. Thou. In turn, the partnership relationships between I and Thou create the community We which forms the basis of the law-governed state. The process of artistic creation in the framework of inter-personal relationship is explored in Aesthetics of Pure Feeling. Finally, ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... Business, Philadelphia, Gordon & Breach, p. 1—16.
35. Gadde, F.-E., Araujo, F. 2006, Business Recipes, Historical Narratives and the Discovery of Networks, IMP Journal, Vol. 1, no. 1.
36. Hagedoorn, J., van Kranenburg, H. 2003, Grown Patterns in R&D Partnerships: An Exploratory Statistical Study, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 21.
37. MacGregor, S. P., Carleton, T. (eds). 2012, Sustaining Innovation. Collaboration Models for a Complex World, New York, Springer.