The innovative process in the Baltic Sea region
... environment are presented. Secondly, the current condition of innovation environments in the BSR is described and the innovation performances of Baltic countries are compared. Finally, the research aims to conclude, as well as to analyse, the future innovation development of the BSR. The research material for this desk study is collected from various sources, including journal articles, statistics, media, research reports, and other publications.
1. European Commission 2012, ICT for Competitiveness & Innovation,...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
... Henderson J. V. Ways to think about urban concentration: Neoclassical urban systems versus the new economic geography // International Regional Science Review. 1996. № 19 (2). P. 31—36. doi: 10.1177/016001769601900203.
28. Isaksen A. Building Regional Innovation Systems: Is Endogenous Industrial Development Possible in the Global Economy? // Canadian Journal of Regional Science. 2001. № XXIV (1). P. 101—120.
29. Johnson, B., Lundvall B. Catching-up and institutional learning under post-socialism // Hausner J., Jessop B., Neilsen K. (eds....
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... university-industry-government relations // Research Policy. 2000. № 29 (2). P. 109—123.
23. Government of the Republic of Lithuania : Resolution on the approval of the programm on the implementation of the priority areas of research and (socio-cultural) development and innovation (smart specialisation) and their priorities 30 Apr. 2014 № 411, Vilnius. URL:
(дата обращения: 15.04.2018).
24. Grennes ...
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
... razvitiya prigranichnogo mezhdunarodnogo turizma v Murmanskoy oblasti [Prospects for the development of cross-border international tourism in the Murmansk region]. In: Strategiyz razvitiya prigranichnyh territoriy: tradicii i innovacii [Strategy for development of border regions: tradition and innovation], Kursk, p. 230—235.
8. Koncepciya socialno-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Leningradskoy oblasti na period do 2025 goda [The concept of the socio-economic development of the Leningrad region to 2025], 2013.
9. Kropinova, Ye. G., Zaitseva, N. A....
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
... Shayakhmetov, M. S. 2017, The Main characteristics of sustainable regional development, Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniya [Advances in current natural sciences], no. 6, p. 108—112 (In Russ.).
19. Mingaleva, Zh. A., Gershanok, G. A. 2012, Sustainable development of a region: innovations, economic security, competitiveness, Economika regiona [Economy of a region], no. 3, p. 68—77.
20. Munim, Z. H., Dushenko, M., Jimenez, V. J., Shakil, M. H., Imset, M. 2020, Big data and artificial intelligence in the maritime industry: ...
The development of science as a factor in the Kaliningrad region innovative security
... region and highlights vital interests and security threats to the regional innovation system in the field of research. The author describes important factors having a positive and a negative impact on the competitiveness of the research component of the innovation system of the region. The evaluation of the development of science in the Kaliningrad region in the Soviet (1958—1985) and contemporary (2000—2014) periods of history is undertaken. It is concluded that the regional innovation system of the Kaliningrad region, having undergone a major structural ...
The research and technology development in Lithuania and the prospects of research and technology cooperation between Lithuania and the Russian Federation
... main competitive innovation spheres (information technologies, biotechnologies, special purpose laser technologies) and analyse the principal lines of innovation policy and strategy. The article presents the results of a SWOT analysis of Lithuanian innovation development and describes the possible fields and mechanisms of research and technology cooperation between Lithuania and the Russian Federation.
1. Litva stanet proizvoditelem solnechnyh batarej. 2010. Jelektrovesti, 28 nojabrja.[online] Available at: ...
Innovation performance of Russia’s Northwestern regions: a comparative evaluation
... of resources. Thus, it is important to transfer innovations designed in resource-rich regions to their less well-off counterparts to achieve positive synergy throughout northwest Russia.
1. Hodos, D. V., Parshukov, D. V., Zelezinskij, A. L. 2018, Innovative development of regions: models of analysis and assessment of prospects, Innovacionnoe razvitie jekonomiki [Innovative development of the economy], no. 2 (44), p. 79—88 (In Russ.).
2. Kochkin, T. N. 2020, Differentiation of regions of the Northwestern ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... Rural Sociology. 1955. № 20(2). P. 111—123.
57. Hoover E. M., Giarratani F. An Introduction to Regional Economics. URL:
(дата обращения: 02.02.2015).
58. Innovation networks and innovative Milieux: A wager for regional development / ed. by D. Maillat, M. Quévit, L. Senn. Neuchâtel, 1993. P. 392.
59. Keeble D., Wilkinson F. Collective Learning and Knowledge Development in the Evolution of Regional Clusters of High Technology SMEs in Europe // Regional Studies. 1998....
Assessment of Innovation and Investment Activity in the Region
... takes into account the subsystem generating the knowledge that regulates the context and enterprises in regional innovation activity. This article considers the importance of innovation-investment activity evaluation for the construction of regional innovation systems, technological development of the economy, more efficient knowledge distribution,
and the formation of competitive advantages.
. Институциональная экономика: учебное пособие. М., 2006.
The methodological features of managing the value of companies introducing "green" innovations
17. Moskovskaja shkola upravlenija «Skolkovo» [Moscow School of Management «Skolkovo»], 2011, 27 June, available at: http://www.skolkovo.ru/public/ru/news/item/1807-2011-06-27-789/ (accessed 17 May 2012).
environmental innovation, sustainable development, natural capital, ecosystem
services, quest for value, valuation methods
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
... Baltic. The author makes the conclusion about the need to increase the share of innovative projects with the participation of the regions of North-West of Russia; actors fr om the Nordic countries, wh ere regional cooperation is an important engine for innovation development, should be actively involved in these projects.
1. Инновационная деятельность и трансграничное сотрудничество в регионе «Соседства» / под ред. М. А....
Innovative development of Russian coastal regions: north–south divergence
Coastal regions are territorial social systems whose socio-economic and innovative development is strongly influenced by the factor of coastalisation. The effect of movement to the sea determines the dynamics of settlement systems as well as their economic and infrastructure development. This holds for transport, logistics, information ...
The innovative aspects of the fishing fleet development in the Russian exclave region
Our country has set a course for the economy modernisation on the basis of innovative development. In the post-war period until 1991, the exclave of Russia — the Kaliningrad region — showed high rates of socioeconomic development due to the establishment of a large-scale sea fishing industry. Such success rested on research and innovative ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of Tomsk State University], no. 356, p. 135—139.
11. Mingaleva, Zh. А., Gershanok, G. А. 2012, Ustojchivoe razvitie regiona: innovacii, jekonomicheskaja bezopasnost', konkurentosposobnost' [Sustainable development
of the region: innovation, economic security, competitiveness], Jekonomika regiona [The region's economy], no. 3, p. 68—77.
12. Voloshenko, K. Yu., Gimbitsky, K. K., Kuznetsova, A. L., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, Modelirovanie regional'noj sistemy dolgosrochnoj ustojchivosti ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
... linking information and communication technologies with issues in sustainable transportation, TTRV372, p.665 -677, available at: www.spatial.ucsb.edu (accessed 01.04.2015).
33. Morgan, K. 2001, The Exaggerated Death of Geography: Localised Learning, Innovation and Uneven Development, Paper presented to The Future of Innovation Studies Conference, Eindhoven Univ. of Technology, 20—23 September 2001, available at: http://www.utoronto.ca/onris/research_review/WorkingPapers/WorkingDOCS/Working01/Morgan01_Death.pdf (accessed ...
When and why regional clusters become basic building blocks of modern economy
... Clusters have become a typical pattern of industrial organization in national economies under their transition to innovation-driven model of growth. We provide an overview of the contribution of various theoretical frameworks (evolutionary theory, spatial development theory, theory of technological change and system innovation, and Porter’s competitiveness theory) to the cluster concept and consider the latter from the perspective of complexity economics. On this basis, we differentiate true clusters from their nominal counterparts and propose three analytical ...
Coastal agglomerations and the transformation of national innovation spaces
... the specifics of innovative processes taking place in coastal agglomerations under the influence of the agglomerative and coastal factors. The result of this study is a comparison and assessment of the mutual influence of the two effects of spatial development that translate into the unique identity of coastal zone cities: urbanisation and coastalisation.
Mikhaylov, A. S.
innovation space, coastal agglomeration, innovation diffusion, innovation geography, urbanization, coastalisation
The concept of open innovations and a study into the strategic potential of organisations
... role of strategic potential of organisations in ensuring its competitiveness in a dynamic environment. The author considers the process of open innovation management. Special attention is paid to the joint activities of a number of organisations in innovative research and development and its further application.
1. Баззел Р., Гейл Б., Салтан Р. Доля рынка — ключ к прибыльности // Классика маркетинга. СПб., 2001. С. 419—435.
2. Кастельс ...
Coastal and western border centers in the system of large cities of modern Russia: socio-economic and innovation development.
... in peer-reviewed journals, indexed in Scopus) the study confirmed the hypothesis on ‘coastalizing’ socio-economic and innovative potential and advanced growth of coastal centers. At the same time, there is also a high differentiation within the ... ... with respect to the group of Western Russian cities located in the border regions. It refutes the hypothesis on their advanced development due to external contact capacity (except the advanced indicators’ values on trade, driven by the role of logistical ...
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
... Conference on the Problems of Development of the Economy and Society], Moscow, p. 8.
6. Kotler, Ph., Asplund, K., Rein, I., Hayder, D. 2005, Marketing mest [Marketing places], St. Petersburg, p. 54. (in Russ.)
7. Kotov, A. I. Quality of life as a tool for innovative economic development, Nauchno-tehnicheskie vedomosti SPbGPU. Ekonomicheskie nauki [Scientific and technical statements SPbSPU. Economic sciences], no. 1(211), p. 93—101. (in Rus.)
8. Kulibanova, V. V., Teor, T. R. 2016, Innovative branding tools of territories: ...
The Innovation-Promoting and Economic Functions of the State: An Analysis of Interrelations (the Case of the Republic of Belarus)
In this article, I address the relationship and interactions between the innovation- promoting and economic functions of the state. In today’s condition, a solution to the major problem of national economic development lies in the employment of advanced technology. I identify the areas where the innovative function of the state overlaps with its economic subfunctions. I propose and validate a logical model for relations between the innovation-promoting and economic functions of the state.
1. Байтин М. И. Сущность и основные ...
Concept of managing development of regional infrastructure for small innovative entrepreneurship
The author substantiates conceptual approach to regional infrastructure for small innovative entrepreneurship and logical information model for construction of such program.
В., Саванович А.
Организационный аспект генерирования малых инновационных ...
The features and content of innovation activity of professional social workers
An important feature of innovation activity of a professional social worker is that it is based on the personal approach and is aimed at creating social technologies developing the personality of client. This article offers the results of theoretical analysis of a profession social worker's innovation activity and describes the features, the content, and stages of innovation activity of a social worker.
Инновационные технологии в социальной работе с пожилыми ...
The image of modern Russian innovations in the Danish mass media
... periodicals is analysed against the background of historical stereotypes. The article also describes the Danish national innovation system. The image of Russian innovations in the Danish mass media is positive; however, the articles dedicated to Russian innovations constitute a small part of reports on developments in Russia. The article also contributes to social surveys carried out in Denmark through introducing new data. The research results can be used by politicians, scholars and social activists interested in the relations with Denmark.
From startup training to the innovation economy of the region and the country
The article presents a comparison of innovation development in Russia and Europe regarding it as a system of training specialists in the facilitation and commercialization of innovations. Building on the analysis of various approaches, the author proposes to strengthen the influence of the education ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... local socioeconomic development, Balt. Reg., no. 3 (13), p. 4—24. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-3-1.
10. Klastery v regional'noj jekonomike [Clusters in the regional economy], 2010, Samara, State Autonomous Institution of Samara Region "Centre of innovative development and cluster initiatives", available at: http://innocentr-samara.ru/files/Klastery%20v%20regionlnoy%20economike. pdf (accessed 03.11.2014)
11. Kolosovsky, N. N. 1947, Proizvodstvenno-territorial'noe sochetanie (kompleks) v sovetskoj ...
The system approach to modernisation and innovative regional development: strategic objectives
Russia must follow the path of modernisation and innovative development. The analysis conducted shows the absence of laws, strategies and uniform terminology regarding modernization and innovations. The author examines the factors affecting the content of these terms, describes the system approach to modernization ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... 2013, What kind of entrepreneurship drives regional development in European non-core regions? A literature review on empirical entrepreneurship research, European Planning Studies, no. 21, p. 1095—1127.
12. Doloreux, D., Dionne, S. 2008, Is regional innovation system development possible in peripheral regions? Evidence from the case of La Pocatiere, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, no. 20, p. 259—283.
13. Gardiner, B., Martin, R. L., Tyler, P. 2013, Spatially unbalanced growth in the British economy. Journal ...
Regional innovation security as a coherence of multi-cyclic self-organizing: experience in building an ideal model
... same phenomenon becomes a factor of vulnerability of the regional system in relation to irregularly occurring and turbulently developing impulses of the external environment.
The theoretical model and hypothesis are verified on the basis of empirical ... ... zone in modern geo-turbulent conditions. The study provides the long term (2000—2018) analysis of the phase conjugacy of the innovative product share in GRP (characterizing the innovation subcycle) and the ratio of investment to GRP (characterizing the ...
Innovations in higher education
The article presents the results of the analysis of research on problems of development of innovative activity of teachers in the University. It discusses the involvement of teachers in innovative activity as a purposeful process of overcoming innovation barriers. Selected subjective and objective factors of innovative activity of University ...
Tools for developing and implementing the innovative policy of a region
... force of regional competitiveness. The author presents the results of innovative activity ranking of Russian regions, pays attention to the innovative potential of the Kaliningrad region, and considers the decisions of public authorities and the recent developments in the field of innovations in Russia.
1. Литвинова А. Рейтинг: инновации по формальному признаку // Сайт ежедневной деловой газеты «РБК daily». URL: http://www.rbcdaily.ru/ (дата ...
Network Transformations in Economy
... Thorelli H. B. Networks: between markets and hierarchies // Strategic Management Journal. 1986. № 7. P. 37—51.
58. Wikström S., Richard N. Knowledge and Value. Lontoo : Routledge, 1994.
59. Zongling Xu, Jiali Lin, Danming Lin Networking and innovation in SMEs: evidence from Guangdong Province, China // Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development. 2008. № 15 (4). P. 788—801
Bolychev O., Mikhailov A.
network, interfirm network, interorganizational network, network transformation
The development of a mechanism for stimulating the innovative activity of small enterprises
This article analyses the current problems of stimulating innovation activity of small businesses in the Russian Federation. The problems of development of financial institutions for innovation support, financial and production-technological subsystems of the innovation infrastructure, and staff recruitment are examined in the case of the Kaliningrad region. Special attention is paid to the problems of business incubator creation ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
This article concerns the role that international cooperation in research, technology, and innovation plays in ensuring innovative development and producing an innovative model of the Russian economy. One of the key objectives of the country’s integration into international research, technological, and innovative space is the development of Russia-EU cooperation in the Baltic region....
The Baltics on Their Way towards a Circular Economy
... implementation of circular economy technologies.
1. Avramenko, A. A., Gorbachev-Fadeev, M. A. 2015, Cyclic economy, Sustainable development and the “green” economy [Ustoichivoe razvitie i «zelenaya» ekonomika], no. 71, p. 23—34. (In Russ.)
2. Mashukova,... ....2016). DOI:
6. Davis, C., Arthurs, D. 2006, What Indicators for Science, Technology and Innovation Policies in the 21st Century, Ottawa, available at:
The methodological bases of comparative evaluation of sci¬entific and technological potential of Russia and the EU: regional and international aspects
... technological potential of Russia (Northwestern federal district) and EU states of the Baltic region. The experimental check suggests that the methodology be further improved for future clustering of Russian and EU regions according to the level of their innovative development.
1. Avdulov, A. N., Kulkin, А. М. Pokazateli nauchno-tehnicheskogo potenciala. Metody sravnitel'nogo analiza [Indicators of scientific and technological capacity. Methods of comparative analysis], available at: http://sci. informika.ru/text/magaz/ ...
A methodology for analysing an organisation’s innovation potential
This article is devoted to the urgent issue of analyzing the innovative potential of an organisation’s employees. The study aims to develop a methodology for identifying the potential at the level of enterprises. The author presents an original method for assessing the innovative potential of an organisation’s employees and a mechanism of its identification. The most significant ...
The prospects of entrepreneurship in the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region
... article offers an analytical review of the prospects for the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region with the participation of small and medium businesses. In view of the essential features of entrepreneurship, its prospects in the development and implementation of innovations seem to be quite attractive. However, in the current economic context, growth requires special measures. The authors analyse the measures taken by the European Union and individual countries in order to strengthen the participation of small ...
The assessment and factors of increase in innovative competitiveness of Latvian regions
... macro-levels. This study identifies the development stage of Latvia’s regions and considers methods as well as experience of evaluation and improvement of the competitiveness of Latvia’s regions. The authors describe priorities and tools for regional innovative development and analyze conditions affecting regional development in the country. This work takes into account the current priority of the European Union — innovation and development of socioeconomic activity aimed at enhancing the competitiveness and ...
The diagnostics of regional asymmetry of innovative development of small enterprises
... of area factors on the innovation activities of small enterprises. The main theoretical aspects of regional asymmetry of economic development are analyzed. The article presents the author’s method of assessing regional asymmetry of small enterprise innovation development and the mechanism of its diagnostics tested in the case of the regions of the Northwestern Federal District of the Russian Federation. The most meaningful factors affecting innovation activities of small enterprises are identified.
1. Беликов ...
The assessment of research and technical potential in the framework of the innovative model of development of regional economy
... and the Baltic Sea], Issledovaniâ Baltijskogo regiona, no. 1 (7), p. 16—33.
3. Ivchenko, V. V., Savanovich, S. V. and Savanovich, A. V. 2010, Razvitie innovacionnoj infrastruktury primorskogo regiona Rossii. Modelirovanie upravlenija razvitiem [The development of innovation infrastructure of the seaside region of Russia. Modeling of Development Management], Kaliningrad, Izdatel'stvo Rossijskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni I. Kanta, 158 p.
4. Kolosovskiy, A. M. 2006, Ekonomika osobogo subekta Rossii [Special ...
The population of the Kaliningrad region and the digital economy: a sociological analysis
... among three generations of highly skilled professionals in Estonia, TRAMES, vol. 24, no. 1, p. 3—25.
24. Kuznetsova, I. G., Goloshchapova, L. V., Ivashina, N. S., Shichiyakh, R. A., Petrova, L. I., Tkachev, B.P. 2020, The Paradigm of Human Capital Development Capable of Adapting Innovations in the Transition to a Digital Economy, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 2, p. 1408—1417.
25. Chetty, K., Qigui, L., Gcora, N., Josie, J., Wenwei, L., Fang, Ch. Bridging the digital divide: measuring ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... Druzhinina, S.S, 1989, Economic-geographical aspects of coastal settlement studies (based on the Rostov region). In: Yuzhnye morya SSSR: geograficheskie problemy issledovaniya i osvoeniya [Southern seas of the USSR: geographical problems of research and development], Leningrad, p. 133—141. (In Russ.)
19. Druzhinin, A. G. 2016, "The sea component of" social geography of Russia: traditions and innovations, Izvestiya RAS. Seriya geograficheskaya, p. 10—19. (In Russ.)
20. Ilyin, I. A. 1934, O Rossii. Tri rechi [About Russia. Three speech.], 78 p. (In Russ.)
21. Golovnev, A. V. 2015, Fenomen kolonizatsii [The phenomenon of colonization], Ekaterinbur,...
Innovative factors and conditions of sustainable development of rural territories
... Kaliningradskaja oblast' v cifrah, 2012: Kratkij statisticheskij sbornik [Kaliningrad Region in Figures, 2012: Short Statistical Book], 2012, Kaliningrad, Kaliningradstat, 183 p.
9. Nikolaev, A. I. 2001, Innovacionnoe razvitie i innovacionnaja kul'tura [Innovative development and innovation culture], Nauka i naukoznanie [Science and naukoznanie], no. 2, p. 54—65.
10. Programma regiona Baltijskogo morja 2007—2013. V ramkah celi Evropejskogo Sojuza po territorial'nomu sotrudnichestvu i Evropejskogo instrumenta ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
The article describes the motives, objectives and findings of preparing a perspective for territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region and discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing maritime spatial planning and management are key issues to be solved in transnational cooperation
— Gdansk ...
The development of bioeconomy of the Baltic Region in the context of regional and global climate change
... globally, particularly so through agriculture and food systems. The Baltic region has a vast potential for the development of bioeconomy due to the existing opportunities for biomass production and advances in microbiology leading to process- and product innovations in biomass production and utilization. The development of sustainable bioeconomy in the Baltic region, however, requires a flexible and timely adaptation to climate change. Based on an overview of the relevant state-of-the-art literature, the article explores the implications of the development ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... The author reviews successful implementation of innovation projects within cross-border and transnational cooperation programmes. The most significant projects focus on the development of information and communications technologies in healthcare, the development of networks uniting innovation centres in the Baltic Sea region, and the transnational network of business incubators in the Baltic Sea region. The author identifies promising areas of cooperation between North-West Russia, Finland, Norway, and Estonia in the field of innovations,...
Similarities and differences in curricula of a bachelor’s degree in oceanology at the universities in St Petersburg, Klaipeda, and Kaliningrad
... education in the light of the Bologna process and the entry of Russia into the WTO], Innovacionnoe obrazovanie i ekonomika [Innovative education and the economy], Vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 21—22.
Gritsenko Vladimir, Zhurakhovskaya Polina, Yurov Artyom
bachelors ... ... curriculum, competences, credits, compulsory and optional disciplines, expert evaluation, specialist training, sustainable regional development
Ports of Eastern Baltic and Russian transit policy: competition and cooperation
..., J.S.L. 2015, Developing the fifth generation ports model. In: Lee, P. T. W., Cullinane, K. (eds) Dynamic shipping and port developments in the globalized economy, Vol. 2: Emerging Trends in Ports, London, UK, Palgrave MacMillan, p. 186—210. doi:
... .... Chai, L., Li, J., Tangpong, Ch., Clauss, Th. 2020, The interplays of coopetition, conflicts, trust, and efficiency process innovation in vertical B2B relationships, Industrial Marketing Management, no. 85, p. 269—280. doi: doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman....