Innovative development priorities of the major coastal agglomerations of the European part of Russia
The innovation development dynamics of coastal regions is under the growing influence of the agglomeration factor and the coastalization factor, which results in polarizing the innovation space around large cities and urban agglomerations in the coastal zone. Coastal agglomerations act as drivers ...
Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
... perspectives and directions of strategic development of coastal zones, and sea industrial and port facilities of the Russian Federation.
1. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2009, Baltijskoe more: primorskie regiony i ih morehozjajstvennyj potencial [Baltic Sea: coastal regions and marine economic potential], Ekonomicheskie strategii, no. 8, p. 150—155.
2. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2008, Indikatornye metody kak instrument kompleksnogo analiza i ocenki primorskih territorij [Indicator as an instrument of a comprehensive analysis ...
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... primorskoy territorii [Structure and properties of marine economic potential of the maritime area], Vestnik Baltiyskogo federal'nogo universiteta im. I. Kanta [Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University], no. 3, p. 75—81.
11. Makhnovsky, D. 2014, The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century, Balt. Reg., no. 4, p. 50—66. DOI: 10.5922/2074-2079-8555-4-4.
12. Fedorov, G., Korneevets, V. 2015, Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions, Balt. Reg., no. 4, p....
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... Zalogin, B. S. 1984, Ekonomicheskaya geografiya Mirovogo okeana [Economic geography of the World Ocean], Moscow. (In Russ.)
12. Ivchenko, V. V. 2008, Setevoe programmirovanie razvitiya primorskikh regionov Rossii [Network programming development of coastal regions of Russia], Kaliningrad. (In Russ.)
13. Klemeshev, A. P., Fedorov G. M. 2004, Ot izolirovannogo eksklava — k «koridoru razvitiya». Al'ternativy rossiiskogoeksklava na Baltike [From an isolated exclave — to the "corridor of development"....
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
.... The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s classification identifies higher status cities and ‘global cities’, which are to be considered in the global context. Seven coastal regions are distinguished within this region, whose organising centers are the global coastal cities of Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Malmö. The concept of a “global city-region” (Sassen) can be used as a methodological ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
... Russian geographical proximity to the European countries, a significant number of shared problems, and a considerable potential for cooperation in solving them and developing the world ocean’s resources create grounds for an integrated study of European coastal regions. The author analyses Russian findings in the field of the socioeconomic development of coastal regions. The differences in the natural and socioeconomic conditions and resources along a significant portion of the European coastline necessitate ...
Innovative development of Russian coastal regions: north–south divergence
Coastal regions are territorial social systems whose socio-economic and innovative development is strongly influenced by the factor of coastalisation. The effect of movement to the sea determines the dynamics of settlement systems as well as their economic and ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... 278, no. 5341, Nov. 14, p. 1211—1212.
5. Vallega, A. 1998, Agenda 21 of ocean geography. In: Vallega, A. et al. (eds.) Geography, oceans and coasts towards sustainable development, p. 17—116.
6. Berardo, C. 1999, Spatial dynamics of Mediterranean coastal regions, Journal of Coastal Conservation, no. 5, p. 105—112.
7. Makhnovsky, D. E. The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century, 2014, Balt. Reg., Vol 6, no. 4, p. 50—66. DOI: 10.5922/2074-2079-8555-4-4.
The coastal factor in spatial development programmes for the municipalities of the Kaliningrad region
... Балтике // Известия Русского географического общества. 2017. Т. 149, № 6. С. 14—24.
Mikhaylov A. S., Mikhaylova A. A., Kuznetsova T. Y. Coastalization effect and spatial divergence: segregation of European regions // Ocean & Coastal Management. 2018. Vol. 161. Р. 57—65.
Gumenyuk I. S., Gumenyuk L. G., Belov N. S.
coastal location, coastal areas, maritime activities, municipalities, Kaliningrad region, microgeography
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
This article presents an inventory and a typology of the existing and emerging economic clusters in the coastal zone of the European part of Russia. The authors hold that transboundary clustering takes priority in the Baltic coastal region — nine of the 56 clusters identified are located in the Kaliningrad region and another eight in Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad region. The authors describe major catalysts and immanent inhibitors in coastal zones. The former include a high ...
Large business in the coastal zones of Russia: features and factors of localisation
... where both local (Sodruzhestvo and Avtotor) and interregional/transnational companies (United Shipbuilding Corporation, Gazprom, LUKOIL, etc.) are benefitting from the coastal factor in the socio-economic development.
Druzhinin A. G.
coastal zone, coastal cities, Russia, large business, maritime complex, regional development, Baltic region
Typological differences between the coastal regions of Russia's Western borderlands
... assessment of the socio-economic situation in regions of different types. Considering the typological features of the regions, the prospects for their future development based on the strengthening of the coastal factor are outlined.
Fedorov G. M.
coastal region, coastal position, gravitational force of the sea, development factor, typology of regions, west of Russia
The strongholds of Russian coastal borderlands: economic dynamics amid geopolitical turbulence
... and the West is accompanied by the country’s growing maritime presence, particularly in its western borderlands, the revitalisation and expansion of its ‘strongholds’, and economic diversification. The economic systems of the country’s leading coastal region have proven to be highly resistant to geopolitical turbulence; this is partly explained by government support.
Druzhinin A. G.
economy, maritime economy, geopolitics, coastal borderlands, geopolitical turbulence, Russian Federation, Russian ...
Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions
The relevance of this study stems from the importance of Russia’s coastal regions for the development of the national economy and foreign economic ties. There are significant differences between coastal regions, which should be taken into account when devising a regional development policy. The article aims to identify specific ...
Some features of external migration processes in the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia
The combination of two major economic and geographical factors — the presence of the border and access to the sea — largely determine the features of socio-economic development of the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia and, as a consequence, the migration processes here. The purpose of the article is to identify the importance of these factors for migration in the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia. The ...
Localization of large business in coastal zones as a factor of transboundary clustering (on the example of the European part of Russia)
The factors and features of localization of large business interests in 14 European coastal regions of Russia are analyzed. It is shown that the interest of large business in the coastal zones is commonly associated with the concentration of large oil and gas fields (on the shelf and in the coastal zone), with the logistics tasks (export-import ...
Information metabolism and innovation dynamics in the Rostov agglomeration: the role of the coastal factor and economic clustering
... // Industrial and Corporate Change. 1997. Vol. 6, № 3. P. 595—622.
24. Doloreux D. What is a maritime cluster? // Marine Policy. 2017. № 83. P. 215—220. Doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2017.06.006.
25. Doloreux D., Shearmur R., Figueiredo D. Québec' coastal maritime cluster: Its impact on regional economic development, 2001—2011 // Marine Policy. 2016. № 71. P. 201— 209. Doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2016.05.028.
26. Druzhinin A.G., Fedorov G.M., Mikhaylov A.S. et al. Typology of coastal zones in the European part of Russia: modern particularities ...
The Kaliningrad Region as a coastal border region of Russia
The article studies the sectoral structure of employment and the gross regional product, the similarities and differences of the region from other bordering coastal regions of Russia through the economic and statistical analysis of indicators of population dynamics. The benefits of the coastal and borderline positions are not fully exploited by the region, that is, those types of economic activity and production ...
The influence of the transport factor on the investment competitiveness of coastal regions in the European part of Russia.
Given the combination of the basic territorial growth factors, the coastal regions of the European part of Russia, where large urbanized spaces have already been developed or are being developed, are of the greatest potential compared to other regions of the country. It makes perfect sense to set up large economic centers capable ...
Network modelling of economic security organisation in the coastal regions
This article addresses the problem of economic security organization in the coastal region of Russia. The authors offer a network model of the process as a tool of effective management
Сетевое программирование развития приморских регионов России: ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
....pdf (дата обращения: 10.07.2019).
14. Федеральная служба государственной статистики. URL:
. gks.ru/ (дата обращения: 10.07.2019).
Kuznetsova T. Yu., Mikhailov A. S.
coastal position, Baltic region states, population dynamics
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... modeling the process of regionalization, Studia Humanitatis Borealis, no. 1 (2), p. 30—41. (In Russ)
12. Lachininskii, S. S., Lachininskii, А. S., Semenova, I. V. 2016, The geoeconomic factor in formation of spatial structure of the St. Petersburg coastal area, Regional Research of Russia, Vol. 6, no. 4, p. 323—331.
13. Mezhevich, N. M. 2003, The Baltic region: constructivist specifics and political results. 2003, Megaregion — Network Confederation, available at:
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... situation’ as applied to one of the most important centers of the Baltic region — the St. Petersburg agglomeration. The coastal location of the agglomeration and close connections with the Leningrad region make it possible to consider the Saint Petersburg coastal region (Baltic Area) as a whole. The article sets out not only to verify, confirm, and explain the features of the geoeconomic position of the coastal region, but also to describe the contiguous geoeconomic space. The position of the St. Petersburg coastal ...
Sustainable tourism as an alternative development path for coastal towns: The case of the Kaliningrad region
... authors present a function-based typology of towns located on the coast of the Kaliningrad/Vistula Lagoon. It is shown that the recreational function of these towns is either poorly developed or absent, which complicates the sustainable development of coastal territories. Grade-based assessment makes it possible to identify factors both facilitating and hindering the recreational development of coastal towns. Towns with the highest recreational potential are identified.
1. Актуальные проблемы ...
Suspended Particulate Matter Distribution Along the Northern Coast of the Kaliningrad Peninsula
... V., Sivkov V. Suspended matter concentration alongside the northern coastline of Kaliningrad region (south-eastern part of the Baltic Sea) // EMECS'11 SeaCoasts XXVI. August 22—27, 2016, St. Petersburg, Russia. Joint conference. Managing risks to coastal regions and communities in a changing world. Abstract Book. St. Petersburg, 2016. P. 145.
14. Cyberska В., Krzyminski W. Extention of the Vistula water in the gulf of Gdansk // Proc. 16th Conf. of the Baltic Oceanographers. Kiel, 1988. S. 89.
Identification of technology transfer in industries developing in the exclave region under the influence of the “coastal factor”
The exclave and coastal position of the Kaliningrad region determines the development conditions that differ from other regions, including those of the regional innovation subsystem. The most important and integral part of this subsystem which actually ensures the interaction of its components, is transfer ...
Shore ground monitoring methodology
... Jentsch A. Handbuch des deutschen Dünnenbaues. Berlin, 1900.
15. Bobykina V., Karmanov K., Chubarenko B. Morphodynamics of the shores of the Vistula Spit (the Baltic sea) in a period of 2002—2015 by results of in-situ measurements // Managing risks to coastal regions and communities in a changing world : Proc. Intern. сonf. EMECS'11-SeaCoasts XXVI (Saint-Petersburg, 22—27 August, 2016). Saint-Petersburg, 2016. doi: 10.21610/conferencearticle_58b4315ec153d.
16. Bobykina V. P., Stont Zh. I. Winter Storm Activity ...
The use and environmental state of the Curonian Lagoon and its coastal zones
The waters of the Curonian Lagoon and the contiguous coastal area are linked together by both the environment and economic activities. Regional planning considers water and coastal areas as separate phenomena that lack a common management system. However, this approach is poorly applicable to the Curonian Lagoon, the delta of the River Neman, and the adjacent coastal area. Only when these elements are analysed as a single ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... system of global change, Third Study Conference on BALTEX, Proceedings, Intern, BALTEX Secretariat Publ, no. 20, p. 119—120.
Krasnov Yevgeny V., Zotov Sergey I., Dedkov Victor P., Chernyshkov Pavel P., Zhindarev Leonid A.
geosituational modelling, coastal marine systems, Kaliningrad region, types of models, practical significance, prospects of development
Kaliningrad region: coastal position as a geographical factor of economic development
The Kaliningrad region is a border and a coastal area in one. Such a combination of geographic features affects the development of this exclave region of Russia. The maritime status has a direct and indirect positive impact on the sectoral structure and the pace of economic growth. The role ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
... country by a foreign state (states) but having access to the sea. A complete list of coastal exclaves in the world as well as their main comparative characteristics is given. Coastal exclaves are compared to other ones in Russian typologies of enclave regions. The author has classified coastal exclaves according to several parameters.
1. Robinson G. W. C. Exclaves // Annals of the Association of American Geographers 1959. Vol. 49, iss. 3. P. 283—295.
2. Melamid A. Enclaves and Exclaves // International Encyclopedia of the Social ...
The Kaliningrad Region as a Potential Coastal Transport Cluster
The coastal regions of Russia, which ensure the country’s major export/import transactions, have potential for developing special forms of spatial organisation of regional transport system – transport clusters. This form of spatial organisation is better adapted ...
On Sources and Mechanisms of Coastal Area Self-development
... развития России в условиях структурных изменений в мировой экономике. Научный доклад от 24 декабря 2008г. URL:
self-development, coastal border area, genetic-cultural determination,
region’s competitiveness, intellectual capital, human capital, innovative entrepreneurship.
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
20. Welcome to the Baltic University, 2016, available at:
Mezhevich N., Kretinin G., Fedorov G.
Baltic Sea region, coastal areas, international cooperation, internal structure of region, Russian in the Baltic region, economic cooperation development
Contribution of German, Soviet, and Russian researchers to the study of the Sambia peninsula coast
... provides a historical analysis of relevant research works from the early 19th century to the present. A unique observation database has been created over 150 years. This data can contribute to the development of knowledge on the trends and intensity of coastal processes and their regional characteristics in the South-East Baltic.
1. Атлас геологических и эколого-геологических карт Российского сектора Балтийского моря. СПб., 2010.
2. Бабаков ...
Economic aspects of border and coastal regions
Economic aspects of cross-border and coastal regions
The modelling of functional and object development of integrated coastal regional systems
This article presents recommendations on the modelling of a functional and object development of coastal regional systems that would ensure the system adaptation and manageability in the conditions of environment uncertainty. To this end, the author employs the method of system definition, which makes it possible to identify the connection between the basic ...
Ensuring the proportional development of the strategic areas of coastal specialisation
This article presents proposals to ensure a balanced development of the strategic areas of regional specialization based on managerial decisionmaking in the conditions of the system uncertainty of integrated coastal interaction. To this end, it is suggested that a balanced scorecard system identifying the possibility of aligning such decisions and maintaining the synergy effect in the chosen directions of prospective ratio development is applied.
1. Теория ...
The current state and problems of fishing industry development in the coastal regions of the Russian Federation
... restrictions by our country, the condition of the domestic fishing industry is of particular interest. The article analyzes the quantitative parameters of the industry, identifies key leading companies, shows the dynamics of the number of enterprises in the coastal regions from 2007 to 2017, and reveals the geographical features of locating fidhing enterprises. The authors analyse the companies’ financial indicators, as well as the change in the average annual number of employees. The study reveals that the ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
... region are seeking cooperation with Russia to preserve the natural and economic environment of the Baltic Sea. Most joint spatial planning projects have been initiated by Finland, Sweden, Germany, and Poland.
Palmowski T., Tarkowski M.
Baltic Sea region, European Union, integrated coastal area management, spatial planning, Poland, Russia
СA comparative analysis of bioflavonoid accumulation by Trifolium pratense in the Kaliningrad region
This article examines the influence of environmental factors on the polyphenol accumulation of the red clover (Trifolium pratense L.) in the coastal and continental areas of the Kaliningrad region. The influence of temperature, light, and mineral nutrition factors on the accumulation activity of anthocyanins, leucoanthocyanidins, and catechins is determined. The coastal and continental area plants did not show any significant differences ...
Suspended particulate matter within the Kaliningrad coastal zone: distribution, transport, composition
The coastal zone of the Kaliningrad region is an especially sensitive marine area which includes recreation areas, natural heritage sites, construction sites and zones of both abrasion and accumulation. Thus, it requires monitoring and control of core environmental indicators such as ...
On the concept of normative evaluation of cost-effectiveness of GLONASS application in coastal regions
(accessed 01 September 2011).
5. Ivchenko, V. V., Savanovich, S. V. and Savanovich, А. V. 2010, Razvitie innovacionnoj infrastruktury primorskogo regiona Rossii [Development of innovation infrastructure coastal region of Russia], Kaliningrad.
Ivchenko Vladislav, Boronilov Anatoly
satellite information, GLONASS system, concept of normative evaluation of economic efficiency of GLONASS application in the region
Variability of climatic characteristics оver the South-East Baltic coastal waters in the early XXI century
... Rutgersson A., Jaagus J., Schenk F., Stendel M. Observed changes and variability of atmospheric parameters in the Baltic Sea region during the last 200 years // Climate Research. 2014. № 61. P. 177—190.
7. Bates B. C., Kundzewicz Z. W., Wu S., Palutikof ... ... Vol. 47. P. 67—75.
10. Tylkowski J. Temporal and spatial variability of air temperature and precipitation at the Polish coastal zone of the southern Baltic Sea // Baltica. 2013. Vol. 26, № 1. P. 83—94.
11. Ерёмина Т. Р., Исаев А....
The modern concept of coast protection and hydraulic engineering on the sea coasts of the Kaliningrad region
This article analyses the current state of the Baltic Sea coast protection system in the Kaliningrad region. It is stressed that the critical condition of hydraulic structures hampers effective protection of the seacoast. The modern concept of sea protection suggests that coast protection structures must con-trol the movement of deposits in the coastal zone to preserve and restore the beach strip as a basic element of coast protection.
1. Žaromskis R. Skirtingos žmonių veiklos poveiris pietryčių Baltios krantų raidai // Geografijos metraštis. 2001. Nr. 34 (1). S. 59—72.
2. Arbomeit ...
The results of the weekly monitoring of the Vistula Bay coast in the area of Pribrezhny village in 2011-2012
... of regular (weekly) monitoring of the coast of the Vistula Lagoon in the area of the village of Pribrezhny (the Kaliningrad region) throughout the year. The steady profile measurements of the beach width, photographing, coast description, the calculation ... ... wind regime over the observation period made it possible to reveal the coast dynamics, assess the stability of the beach and coastal slope condition, as well as the influence of the
main regime-forming factor — the wind.
1. Бобыкина В. П....
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
....de/fileadmin/internet/IOER_Projekte/EkoRuss (accessed 01.11.2014).
19. Sivkov, V. V., Zotov, S. I., Kuz'mina, E. V., 2004, Otsenka ekologicheskoy chuvstvitel'nosti pribrezhnykh landshaftov Kaliningradskoy oblasti k khimicheskomu zagryazneniyu [Assessment of environmental sensitivity of coastal landscapes of the Kaliningrad region to chemical pollution]. In: Orlenok, V. V. (ed.), Pribrezhnaya zona morya:. Morfolitodinamika i geoekologiya [Nearshore: morfolitodinamic and geoekology], Proceedings of the conference, Kaliningrad, p. 228-230.
20. Fedorov, G. M. 2014, Border ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... Dissertation for the degree of candidate of economic sciences, Moscow, Sovet po izucheniju proizvoditel'nyh sil (SOPS).
2. Baturova, G. V. 2011, Regional'nye morehozjajstvennye klastery kak osnova social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija primorskih territorij [Regional marine economic clusters as a basis of socio-economic development of coastal areas]. In: Zhyharevych, B. S. (ed.). Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii. Doklady uchastnikov IX Obshherossijskogo foruma «Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii» [Strategic planning in the regions and ...
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... on border regions and closer attention to border regions’ foreign economic ties, particularly, within the implementation of the Strategy for the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation.
Kuznetsov A. V., Kuznetsova О. V.
border regions, coastal regions, regional policy, EU, Russia, Euroregions, cross-border cooperation, spatial development strategy