Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... of research literature, the implementation of international programmes and initiatives of international and intergovernmental organisations, and the application of the method of cartographic analysis have contributed to defining the territory of the Baltic region. The analysis shows three spaces that differ in the effect of the Baltic Sea on their territorial development. This approach proposes three definitions of the Baltic Sea region — a narrow, an extended, and a broad one, each serving a different ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union, the key player in the Baltic. The ...
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
This article describes the main characteristics of international cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) within the framework of the EU macroregional strategy. The analysis of the key directions, structure, and the Strategy implementation mechanisms demonstrates its experimental and innovative nature. At the same time, the authors identify problems ...
Motors for regional development: impact on regional political organizations on the university cooperation in the Baltic Sea region
Educational co-operation is one of the main aspects of the regional political agenda in the Baltic Sea Region. The article analyzes the political impact of the organizations, as perceived by the universities in the region and political decision-makers on national and regional levels. Based on the success of the OECD in becoming an influential actor in ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
International cluster is a relatively new form of spatial organisation of economy in the globalisation conditions, which has become a frequent phenomenon in European countries, including those of the Baltic region. It requires a comprehensive study of both regional economics and economic geography. This article aims to identify structured international clusters in the Baltic region and map the corresponding regions. The results obtained will make it possible ...
The European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and accomplishments
... Bałtyckiej, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego, Gdańsk.
8. Veggeland, N. 1994, Building the Baltic Sea Region in a New Europe, The Baltic Sea Region, Freiburg.
9. Fedorov, G., Druzhinin, A., Golubeva, E., Subetto, D., Palmowski, T. (eds.) 2020, Baltic Region — The Region of Cooperation, Springer, Springer Proceedings in Eaeth and Environmental Sciences, Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
10. Törnquist-Plewa, B. 2015, Czy region bałtycki ma własną tożsamość? Herito, no. 20, p. 104—113.
A functional description of the model for the protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic Sea region
... environmental security of the countries that have shorelines along the Baltic Sea. Thus, it is necessary to give a functional description of the regional model for the legal protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic region. To this end, we identify the juridical content of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation. We consider the possibilities of the legal protection of the environmental interests in the national and international jurisdiction. The interests ...
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
The article describes the motives, objectives and findings of preparing a perspective for territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region and discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing ...
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
... those between the Baltic territories of Russia and their international partners.
1. Gutnik, A. P., Klemeshev, А. P. (eds.), 2006, Baltijskij region kak poljus jekonomicheskoj integracii Severo-Zapada Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo sojuza [The Baltic region as a pole of economic integration of the North-West of the Russian Federation and the European Union], Kaliningrad, 392 p.
2. Vasilyeva, N. A., Kosov, Yu. V. 2015, Evrazijskij region: dialektika sovremennogo razvitija [Eurasian region: the dialectic ...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
This article focuses on the historic prerequisites and forms of international cooperation in the Baltic region (“Baltic cooperation”). According to the author, Baltic Europe is being formed as a single administrative, economic, cultural and infrastructural area, which could become a new economic and cultural center of Europe. Special emphasis is given ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
A critical analysis of Hanseatic traditions may produce consequential methodological material for the study of the 21st century Baltic regionalisation. Current trends in the development of the Baltic region, whose academic analysis is impossible without considering earlier cases of successful interactions between the peoples of the Baltic Sea region, necessitate political, economic, and historical research on the strengths and weaknesses of the Hanseatic ...
Major infrastructure projects and the foreign policy of the Baltic states in 2010—2014
eu/russia_baltia/ (accessed 30.11.2013).
16. Mezhevich, N. M. 2013, The prospects of nuclear power development in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea region as a factor of the formation of international relations system in the region, Baltic Region, no. 2 (16), p. 22–30. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-2-3.
17. Strany Baltii razrabatyvajut obshhuju jenergeticheskuju strategiju [Baltic countries are developing a common energy strategy], 2007, Interfax, available at: http://www.interfax.by/node/1025969 ...
Geopolitical and Geo-economic Changes in the Baltic Sea Region at the Turn of the XX—XXI centuries
... the growth rates of economic development of all countries of the Baltic Sea region.
1. Gutnik, А. P. Kemeshev, А. P. (eds.) 2006, Baltijskij region kak polyus `ekonomicheskoj integracii Severo-Zapada Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo soyuza [Baltic region as pole of economic integration of the Russian Northwest and the European Union], Kaliningrad, 392 p. (In Russ.)
2. Verkhoturov, D. 2014, Island territories" of Russia, КМ. ru, available at:
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
The article aims at analyzing the role of cross-border cooperation in the development of innovation potential of the Baltic Sea Region. The author analyzes the projects in the framework of the Neighborhood Programs implemented in 2000—2006 and related to the development of innovation potential in the Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the South-East Baltic. The author makes ...
Population Ageing as a Sociodemographic Problem in the Baltic Region
Population ageing is a major problem of European development in the 21st century. Rapid population ageing in most developed countries will continue to drive the dependency ratio up. This research aims to forecast dependency ratio in the Baltic region until the end of the century. A more detailed population analysis and forecast is provided for the case of the Baltic States — Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. The authors use Bayesian probabilistic predictions based on data from the Population ...
Forecasting Actions of Baltic elites: A Scenario Approach
... p. 113—114.
4. Hrustalev, M. A. 2015, Analiz mezhdunarodnyh situacij i politicheskaja jekspertiza [Analysis of the International Situation and Political Expertise], Moscow, p. 39—51.
5. Klemeshev, A. P. Mezhevich, N. M., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, The Baltic Sea Region: The Territory and Inner Structure, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, MCSER Publishing, Rome-ltaly, Vol 6, no. 6, December, p. 212—219.
6. Boll, G. 1968, The Discipline of Power. Essentials of Modern World Structure, Boston, p. 15—16....
Tourism and the structure of attractiveness of the Baltic region metropolises
International tourism is playing an increasingly important part in the life of all the nine countries of the Baltic region. In this contribution, I analyse the statistical data for 2010—2017 regarding the numbers of arrivals of international tourists and international tourism revenues in the Baltic region. Regional metropolises, which include nine capitals and Saint ...
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... further development of international tourism in Lithuania in the framework of cross-border and transborder cooperation.
1. Agenda 21: Baltic Sea Region Tourism. Baltic 21 Tourism Group, 1998, Baltic 21 Series no. 7/98, Agenda 21 for the Baltic Sea Region Baltic 21 Tourism Group, USA, Stockholm Environment Institute-Boston Center, 74 p.
2. Bengtsson, R. 2009, An EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Good Intensions Meet Complex Challenges, European Policy Analysis, no. 9, p. 1—11.
3. Consumetric. Estonian ...
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
The Baltic Sea region and the Black Sea area are overlapping regions that have their own political, historical and cultural peculiarities. They belong to the same geopolitical system, within which they are developing two regional cooperation subsystems strongly influenced ...
Small business developing the regional Identity: a case study in the Baltic Sea Region
... names of small enterprises in Baltic cities. The author draws conclusions on the role of small business in the development of regional identity in the Baltic Sea region and assesses the prospects for the formation of a regional business community in the Baltic region.
Дискурс в региональном контексте — Балтийское измерение: материалы исследовательского семинара. СПб., 2005....
Construction of transport and energy networks in the Baltic region as an impetus for regional development
In light of some new aspects of the EU functioning, particularly, the recovery from the 2008-2009 global crisis, transportation and energy development projects are coming to the forefront in the Baltic region. At the same time, there is a need to consider EU’s recent adoption of a common seven-year financial program (2014—2020), which serves, in effect, as the Union’s budget. Given that, one may conclude that the countries of the Baltic region ...
The development of bioeconomy of the Baltic Region in the context of regional and global climate change
Climate change is projected to have a profound effect on natural ecosystems, biodiversity, and societies both in the Baltic region and globally, particularly so through agriculture and food systems. The Baltic region has a vast potential for the development of bioeconomy due to the existing opportunities for biomass production and advances in microbiology leading to process- ...
The transnational territorial transport system of the Baltic Region
4. Fedorov, G. M., Zverev, Ju. M. and Korneevets, V. S. 1997, Rossijskij jeksklav na Baltike [The Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea], Kaliningrad, Izd-vo Kaliningr.un-ta, 312 p.
5. Fedorov, G. M., Korneevets, V. S. 1999, Baltijskij region [The Baltic Region], Kaliningrad, Izd-vo Kaliningr. un-ta, 208 p.
6. Mezhevich, N. M. Baltijskij region i Rossija na Baltike: specifika pozicionirovanija
[The Baltic Region and Russia on the Baltic Sea: the specificity of positioning], Tartu Ülikool, available at: ...
Maritime transport as a system-building element of the Baltic transnational transport region
The object of research presented in the article is maritime transport as a system building type of the Baltic transborder transport region identified within the Baltic region. The author describes maritime transport as a key element of the transnational transport region ensuring the activation and development of new forms of international cooperation in the Baltic area.
1. Йонниеми П. Стратегия ЕС ...
Project approach in transboundary tourism-and-recreation region building: the case of Karelia
... Izvestiya Russkogo geograficheskogo obshchestva [Bulletin of the Russian Geographical Society], no. 5 (151), p. 18—31 (in Russ.).
7. Derendyaeva, T. M., Mukhina, G. A. 2015, Problems of bilateral tourism development and cross-border cooperation in the Baltic region, Vestnik Kaliningradskogo filiala Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta MVD Rossii [Bulletin of the Kaliningrad branch of the St. Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia], no. 2 (40), p. 142—144 (in Russ.).
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
The paper demonstrates the first attempt in Russian political studies to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the “twin city” movement as a form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic region. This phenomenon emerged as a result of a global tendency towards more active involvement of municipal units in international cooperation, on the one hand, and aspirations of frontier cities and towns in the Baltic region to solve common problems ...
The Baltic policy of Germany and current international relations
... political and economic narrative in intergovernmental relations makes it possible to identify distinctive features of Germany’s Baltic policy in the context of current international relations. In particular, it is noted that Germany was most active in the Baltic region in the 1990s, when the country was establishing political, economic, and cultural ties with the new independent states. In the second half of the 1990s, Germany’s foreign policy became less intense. After the accession of Lithuania, Latvia, and ...
The military and political situation in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries: the prospects of ‘uneasy peace’
In this article, we consider the development of international relations in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries. This study aims to analyse the security prospects of the Baltic region in view of the changes in the overall geopolitical situation in Europe and in the relations between Russia and its closest neighbours ...
The evolution of US political priorities in the Baltic sea region in the 2010s
... consequences of NATO and EU enlargement to the former Warsaw Treaty allies and the Baltic States. This article shows how the US, motivated by the need to ‘contain’ Russia, was developing its overall approaches to ensuring its political leadership in the Baltic region. It demonstrates how Washington is planning to reduce the vulnerability of certain nations of the region to Russia’s military and non-military influence and what steps the US and its NATO allies have taken in this direction. It is argued that,...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... the Russian Federation], Balt. reg., no. 2, p. 55—63. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2011-2-6.
7. Klemeshev, A. P. 2011, Sravnitel'naja ocenka innovacionnogo potenciala stran Baltijskogo regiona [A comparative assessment of the innovative potential of the Baltic region countries], Balt. reg., no. 2, p. 48—54. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2011-2-5.
8. Klemeshev, A. P., Fedorov, G. M. 2004, Ot izolirovannogo jeksklava — k «koridoru razvitija». Al'ternativy rossijskogo jeksklava na Baltike [From an isolated enclave ...
The position of international community on the restoration of independence of the Baltic States
... study lies in a diverse sel ection of sources and a new formulation of the problem of Baltic independence. The practical significance of the article results lies in the applicability of its materials in the development of Russian foreign policy in the Baltic region, further research on the history of the Baltic region, Germany, and the USA, and preparation of lectures.
1. Chernyaev, A. S. 1997, O M. S. Gorbacheve [About M. S. Gorbachev]. In:Dnevnik pomownika prezidenta SSSR [Diary Assistant to the President ...
"The Baltic University" programme on the eve of its 20th anniversary
This article is dedicated to the Baltic University programme — a unique educational project aiming at the sustainable development of the Baltic Sea region. International interuniversity cooperation facilitates intercultural communication between students and researchers, and creates new prospects for joint research, which opens up an opportunity for solving common environmental and social problems ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... the century], Kaliningrad, p.199—206. (In Russ.)
8. Kaliningrad earthquake on September 21, 2004, 2009, St. Petersburg, 170 p. (In Russ.)
9. Korolyova, Yu. V., Pukhlov, I. A. 2012, New data on bioconcoction of heavy metals in the territory of the Baltic region, Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 1, p. 99—106. (In Russ.)
10. Krasnov, E. V., Lyubimova, О. Е. 2013, Geosystem approach to assessment of risk of storm floods in the mouth of the Pregolya River, the Kaliningrad region, Regional'naya ...
The Erasmus Mundus programme as a vehicle for development
...,en_2649_33721_34087845_1_1_1_1,00.html (accessed 17 December 2010).
2. EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, European Comission, available at:http://ec.europa.eu/regional_ policy/cooperation/baltic/index_en.htm (accessed 12 November 2010).
3. EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, Baltic Sea Portal, available at: http://www.itameriportaali.fi/en/suojelu/euyhteistyo/en_GB/eunitameristrategia/ (accessed 16 January 2011).
4. EU regional policy 2007—2013 — The Baltic Sea Region Programme, Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007—2013,...
NATO Policies in the Baltics: Objectives and Priorities
The authors employ geopolitical analysis to identify the core characteristics of NATO’s current policy towards the Baltic Sea region. After the demise of the Soviet Union, the region was considered as one of the safest in terms of military security. However, in the aftermath of the Ukraine crisis, the region has witnessed a growing tension in relations between NATO and the Russian ...
Electric energy cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of Russia in it
This article examines cooperation in the electric energy sector in the Baltic region. The author explores the existing undersea HVDC power exchange projects. It is emphasised that cooperation in the electric energy sector is concentrated largely in the EU member states despite earlier plans to establish the Baltic energy ring, ...
The Baltic macroregion: geographical macrostructures, communication features, innovative potential
... Studies of the Immanuel
Kant State University of Russia], I quarter 2010, Kaliningrad, p. 44.
2. Klimenko, N. А., Korneevets, V. S. 2009, Osobennosti razvitija jekonomicheskogo krizisa v Baltijskom regione [Features of the economic crisis in the Baltic region], Informacionnyj bjulleten' Instituta Baltijskogo regiona RGU im. I. Kanta [Newsletter of the Institute of Baltic Studies of the Immanuel Kant State
University of Russia], II quarter 2009, p. 136—150.
3. Wallerstein, I. 2009, Dinamika global'nogo ...
Crossborder and trans-border cooperation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region
The forms of crossborder and transborder cooperation of mediumsized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region are described. The
description of wto European Union’s instruments for international cooperation in Baltic Sea Region is presented. The short analysis of participation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in projects of programmes ...
The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states
This article focuses on the problems pertaining to the regionalisation of geo-demographic situation in the Baltic region. Particular attention is paid to the influence of ethnic factors on the parameters and trends of demographic processes. The author comes to a conclusion about the achievement of demographic homeostasis in most ethnos-nations in the Baltic region....
The main environmental problems of the Baltic Sea and the ways to solve them
... Cyanobacterial blooms in the Baltic Sea: natural or human induced? Limnol. Oceanogr.Vol. 45, pp. 716—726.
19. HELCOM (2009). Eutrophication in the Baltic Sea — An integrated thematic assessment of the effects of nutrient enrichment and eutrophication in the Baltic Sea region. Balt Sea Environ Proc No 115B. Helsinki: HELCOM, p. 148.
20. Flinkman, J., Aro, E., Vuorinen, I., Viitasalo, M. 1998. Changes in northern Baltic zooplankton and herring nutrition from 1980s to 1990s: top-down and bottom-up processes at work. ...
International research cooperation in the Baltic region: a scientometric analysis
... Nacional'nye innovacionnye sistemy stran Baltijskogo makroregiona: sravnitel'nyj analiz [National innovation systems of the Baltic Sea macro-region: a comparative analysis], Issledovaniâ Baltijskogo regiona, no. 1 (9), p. 30—39.
2. Volodkin, А. 2006, Baltic Regionalism Emergence, Journal of International Law and International Relations, no. 2, available at: http://evolutio. info/content/view/1013/176/; http://en. evolutio. info/index. php?option=com_content&task=view &id=83&Itemid=46 (accessed 15 July 2012)....
The prospects of entrepreneurship in the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region
The article offers an analytical review of the prospects for the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region with the participation of small and medium businesses. In view of the essential features of entrepreneurship, its prospects in the development and implementation of innovations seem to be quite attractive. However, in the current economic context,...
Macroalgae Suggested for Inclusion in the New Edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region
... Dziedzie J. et al. Red list of the algae in Poland // Red list of plants and fungi in Poland. Krakow, 2006. P. 35―52.
26. Sub-regional risk of spill of oil and hazardous substances in the Baltic Sea // Additional Study — Polish marine areas, 2011. Baltic Sea Region Programme 2007— 2013. 2011. January.
27. Urbanyak J., Sugier P., Gąbka M. Charophytes of the Lubelsczyzna region (Eastern Poland) // Acta Sicietatis Botanicorum Poloniae. 2011. Vol. 80, № 2. P. 159 ― 168.
28. Urbanyak J., Gąbka M. Polish ...
Territorial structure of the denominational space of the South-East Baltic
The South-East Baltic is a meeting place of three branches of Christianity: Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Lutheranism. Dominant in the Baltic region, these religious confessions define the cultural landscape of the area. At the same time, they have an indirect effect on socio-economic development. In this study, we aim to identify the main components of the territorial structure and the formation ...
Political technologies and international conflicts in the information space of the Baltic Sea region
The information space of the Baltic region has gradually developed since the free exchange of cross-border messages was made possible by media technology and international law. The international conflict between Russia and some countries of the European Union has become a factor hampering ...
Saint-Petersburg in the Baltic Sea region
The article describes the place of St Petersburg in international cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of the Baltic region as one of the priorities of the international relations of the city. The authors show continual attention of Saint-Petersburg to developing international relations in the Baltic Sea region. The article indicates one of the most important areas ...
The EU strategy for the Baltic region: where are we now?
This article is dedicated to the EU strategy for the Baltic Sea region approved by the European Commission in October 2009. The Strategy expresses the intention to strengthen regionalisation in the framework of the EU. It distinguishes the Baltic region as an independent priority target of the complex strategy for the EU development and gives an additional incentive to the resolution of the problems related to the formation of this macroregion.
Baltic Sea region, EU, European ...
The prospects of nuclear power development in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea region as a factor of the formation of international relations system in the region
The current development of economic diplomacy in the world is determined by a combination of globalization and regionalization. In addition, it has an economic dimension. At the same time, the Baltic Sea region demonstrates large-scale politicisation of economic cooperation. The development of nuclear power in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea is indicative of the effectiveness of political and economic cooperation in the region. The author believes ...