The fifth wave of the European Union enlargement: pro et contra
... sud'bonosnyj vybor [The fifth enlargement of the EU: a fateful choice], Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 59—87.
4. Butorina, О. V. (ed.), 2003, Evropejskij sojuz: spravochnik [The European Union: a guide], Moscow.
5. Zlokazova, N. 2004, Rasshirenie ES: za i protiv s pozicij ego chlenov [EU Enlargement: the pros and cons from the standpoint of its members], Mirovaya Ekonomika i Mezhdunarodnye Otnosheniya [World Economy and International ...
New principles of resource distribution in the EU and their impact on the countries of the Baltic region
1. Entin, M. L. 2020, Non-alternative nature of the development of the EU, Sovremennaya Evropa, no. 4, p. 25—36. doi:
2. Celi, G., Guarascio, D., Simonazzi, A. 2020, A fragile and divided European Union meets Covid-19: Further disintegration or ‘Hamiltonian moment’? Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, vol. 47, no. 3, p. 411—424.
3. Alogoskoufis, G., Jacque, L. 2019, Economic and Financial Asymmetries in the Euro Area, CGK Working ...
The concept of the European Union’s normative power
.... 2007, Realist Power Europe? The EU in the Negotiations about China’s and Russia’s WTO Accession, Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 45, no. 4, p. 813–832.
foreign policy of the European Union, European Union, EU, ‘normative power’
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
... responsibility for decision-making to larger players. Such an asymmetric strategy makes it possible for small powers to advance their interests within alliances and save resources. The authors test this hypothesis on the behaviour of the Baltics in the European Union. It is demonstrated that Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia have created a stable small coalition within the EU and actively form ad hoc alliances with the leading states to push union-level decisions, as it was the case with settling the migrant issue....
The Legal Regulation of the EU Immigrant Integration Policy
12. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council and the European Economic and Social Committee and Committee of the Regions A Common Agenda for Integration Framework for the Integration of Third-Country Nationals in the European Union. URL:
(дата обращения: 05.05.2018).
13. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee ...
Civil protection in the EU and its effect on the safety of the Baltic region
..., 2010, Chapter 7: Protection of persons in the event of disasters, 3 May-4 June 5 July-6 August 2010, p. 313—327.
3. Council Decision of 8 November 2007 establishing a Community Civil Protection Mechanism (recast), 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 314, December 1.
4. Council Regulation of 11 November 2002 (2012/2002) establishing the European Union Solidarity Fund, 2002, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 311, November 14.
5. The Council Decision of 23 ...
Legal aspects of the EU policy on irregular immigration
... control, and rules on collaboration with third countries. The author pays special attention to analysing the current state of irregular immigration to the EU, which was dubbed the ‘greatest migration crisis in Europe’. The conclusion is that the European Union succeeded in the development of pioneering legislation on irregular immigration, which can serve as the basis for reception by other states. However, changes in the political and economic situation in the EU’s southern borderlands made the current ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union,...
New stages of the excessive budget deficit procedure for the EU member states and the assessment of their effectiveness
... sanctions. However, their introduction depends on the political will of EU member-states. The sanctions can potentially inflict additional damage on the financial situation in the EU states having budget deficit.
1. Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union: consolidated version 2016 // Official Journal of the European Union. 2016. Vol. 59. C202. P. 47—200. URL:
(дата обращения: ...
The “European identity” of today: a category of political practice or discourse?
....org/docs/where_does_poland_fit_in_europe.pdf (дата обращения: 11.03.2012).
22. White H. The Discourse of Europe and the Search for a European Identity.URL: http://www.postcolonial-europe.eu (дата обращения: 11.02.2012).
European Union, European identity, discourse, EU institutions, European Parliament, EU citizenship.
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
... implementation of the provisions contained in the four blocks of the “Common Steps”, the authors draw conclusions about the political nature of major obstacles to a visa-free regime. This article is based on the proceedings of the “Russia and European Union: the dynamics of interrelations” international conference organized by the EU center of the I. Kant Baltic Federal University (the EU4U project).
1. Overview of Schengen Visa statistics 2009—2011, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/visa-policy/docs/overview_of_schengen_visa_statistics_2011_final_en....
Human rights in EU-Russia relations: a human rights mechanism
This article considers the human rights issues in relations between the Russian Federation and the European Union in the context of formal agreements and real policy from 1994 to the beginning of 2013. The EU regards human rights as fundamental values, which serve as the basis for its foreign relations. Russia tends to consider this issue as an attempt of an ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
A higher level of unity and cohesion across the European Union member states is an important aspect of European integration though it has a rather ambiguous nature. The Law on the Common Market, which aims to increase the economic efficiency of the EU, became a subject of extensive discussions among researchers ...
The principle of mutual recognition of court orders within legal cooperation on criminal cases in the European Union
This article considers particular problems of cooperation on criminal matters in the European Union using the example of the European Arrest Warrant and European Evidence Warrant.
on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version //
Conclusions, Tampere European Council ...
Kant’s perpetual peace project and the project of the European Union
The article examines the following problems: 1) How well-founded is the comparison of the ideas of Kant's treatise «Towards Perpetual Peace», written in late XVIII century, with the implementation of nowadays project of European Union? 2) If such parallels are possible, to what extent the structure of the EU corresponds to Kant's vision? 3) Which Kantian ideas are of the foremost importance to future development of the EU? Basing on the analysis of Kant's treatise and of the ...
Current Geodemographic Problems in the European Union and Migration Crisis of the 2010s
This article demonstrates the effect of the 2010s migration crisis has had on the demographic development of the European Union. Employing statistics and mapping, the study argues that the demographic development of EU states is not affected by either socioeconomic performance or religious, linguistic, and cultural characteristics. Migration inflow differs significantly ...
Northern Dimension: Participant Strategies
... Европейского Союза и Россия.
и Северное измерение. Издательство Министерства иностранных дел Финляндии, 2008.
European Union and the making of a wider northern
Browning Christopher, Pertti Joenniemi. The European Union's Two Dimensions: The Eastern and the Northern // Security dialogue. 2003. 34 (4):463—78.
The development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations: 2010 results
... with the development of legal framework for Russia-EU relations in 2010. The author analyses the preparation of the new basic agreement, the development of sectoral EU-Russia agreements, and soft law amendments, as well as relevant regulations of the European Union and Russian law. The article reviews current initiatives and approaches of the Parties in the legal regulation of the „Partnership for modernisation".
1. Postojannoe predstavitel'stvo Rossijskoj Federacii pri Evropejskom Sojuze [The Permanent ...
The facilitation of freedom of movement between Russia and the European Union: prospects and legal issues
This article examines the legal aspects of the prospective visa free regime between Russia and the European Union,as well as the implementation of local border traffic mechanisms.
1. Treaty on the functioning of the European Union, consolidated version, 2008, Official Journal, 9 May, p. 115.
2. Council Regulation (EC) N 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the ...
Kant’s Perpetual Peace Project and the Project of the European Union
The article examines the following problems: 1) How well-founded is the comparison of the ideas of Kant’s essay «Towards Perpetual Peace», written in late XVIII century, with the implementation of nowadays project of European Union 2) If such parallels are possible, to what extent the structure of the EU corresponds to Kant’s vision? 3) Which Kantian ideas are of the foremost importance to future development of the EU? Basing on the analysis of Kant’s treatise and of the ...
Polish-Russian Small Border Traffic in the Context of Russia-EU Relations
This article sets out to analyse the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic in the context of relations between the European Union and the Russian Federation. The analysis focuses on the role of the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation in relations between the EU and Russia and conditions of the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic. The methodology employed ...
The EU Vs. Russia: Legal Nature and Implementation of the Union’s Restrictive Measures
... concludes that the EU sanctions against Russia are inconsistent with the legal nature of restrictive measures, since they are a punishment rather than a policy tool. The author believes that in the current political conditions it may be difficult for the European Union to reach a unanimous agreement to repeal or prolong the sanctions. This article is inspired by the discussions that took place during the international conference “Russia and the EU: the Question of Trust” held in Luxembourg on November, 28—29 ...
The features of EU energy strategy in the Baltic region
... available at: http://sd.net.ua/2009/08/06/rossija_otkazalas_ot_jenergeticheskojj_khartii_es.html (accessed 04 October 2011).
2. Bogucharsky, М. Ye. 2003, Jenergeticheskaja strategija Evropejskogo sojuza na sovremennom jetape [Energy Strategy of the European Union at the present stage], Finansy. Pravo. Menedzhment [Finance. Right. Management], available at:http://flm.su/?actions=main_content&id=828 (accessed 14 October 2011).
3. Green paper — A European Strategy for Sustainable, Competitive and Secure Energy,...
Local Border Traffic as a Form of Visa Liberalisation and Territorial Development
This article addresses the issue of visa liberalisation between Russia and the European Union, which constitutes a key aspect of the parties’ diplomatic cooperation. This work sets out to identify the main results of Russia/EU cooperation. The authors have conducted a brief historical analysis of this area of relations. The visa “regionalisation” ...
Good-neighbourly relations and the European Neighbourhood Policy — What is the Difference?
... "European Neighbourhood Policy" // COM. 2004. 373 final.
from the Commission "Eastern Partnership" // COM. 2008. 823/4.
Im Osten was Neues //
Spotlight Europe. 2009. 06.
of the European Union. Presidency Conclusions. 7880. 09.
of the European Union. 8435/09 (Presse 78).
The Shaping of a Policy Framework for the Wider
// CEaPS Policy. 2003. № 39. URL: ...
Particularities of the ratification of the European Fiscal Compact in Germany
15. Kocharov A. Another Legal Monster? An EUI debate on the fiscal compact treaty // EUI LAW. 2012. 09. URL: http://hdl.handle.net/1814/21496 (дата обращения: 02.03.2015).
Fiscal Compact, budget deficit, government debt, European Union, obligation to implement balanced budget rule.