The open method of coordination as a new form of governance: features, characteristics, prospects of application
This article is dedicated to the new form of governance — the open method of coordination — in the EU system of governance. This method is considered in the framework of the ‘new governance’ approach as opposed to the Community Method. The author justifies new modes of governance, offers their key characteristics and outlines their possible ways of development.
1. Sundholm M. The open method of co-ordination: the Linux of European integration? A theoretical and empirical study of the method of the ‘Lisbon Strategy’: thesis presented for the Degree of Master of European Studies / College of
2. Hatzopoulos V. Why the open method of coordination is bad for you: a letter to the EU // European Law Journal. 2006.
3. Ahonen P. Soft governance, agile
4. Commission of the European Communities: European governance. A White paper.
5. Borrás S., Jacobsson K. The open method of co-ordination and new governance patterns in the EU // Journal of European Public Policy. 2004. April. 11:2. Р. 185—208.
6. Szyszczak E. Experimental governance: the open method of coordination // European Law Journal. Vol. 12. 2006. July. № 4. Р. 486—502.
7. Telò M. Governance and government in the European Union. The open method of coordination // The new knowledge economy in Europe Elgar / ed. M. Rodriguez.
8. Trubek D., Cottrell P., Nance M. «Soft law», «hard law» and European integration: towards a theory of hybridity.
9. Feronas A. The Europeanisation of national social policies through the OMC: The case of Greek employment policy: paper for contribution at the ESPAnet Conference.
10. Scott J., Trubek D. Mind the gap: law and new approaches to governance in the European Union // European Law Journal. Vol. 8. 2002. March. № 1. Р. 1—18.
11. Classifying and mapping OMC in different policy areas. New modes of governance. Integrated project. Project no. CITI-CT-2004-506392. Priority 7 — citizens and governance in the knowledge — based society. № 02/D09. 2005. July.
12. Report by Working Group 4a: Involving experts in the process of national policy convergence. 2001. June.
13. Büchs M. The open method of coordination as a ‘two-level game’. Policy and politics. Vol. 36:2. 2008. January. Р. 21—37.
14. Dehousse R. The open method of coordination: a new policy paradigm? Paper presented at the First Pan-European Conference on European Union Politics «The Politics of European integration: academic acquis and future challenges» //
15. Búrca Gr. de, Zeitlin J. Constitutionalising the open method of coordination. What should the Convention propose? CEPS Policy Brief. 2003. March. № 31.
16. Treaty establishing a Constitution for
17. Presidency Conclusions.
18. Idema T., Keleman D. New modes of governance, the open method of coordination, and other fashionable red herring. Perspectives on European politics and society.
19. Radaelli C. The open method of coordination: A new governance architecture for the European Union? Sieps, 2003:1.