Text localization as a task of translation
Today, the term ‘localization’ is used in many studies of translations and adaptation of various Internet resources. Foreign translation agencies specialize both in translation services, and in the projects for the localization of various resources, and this fact emphasizes the practical importance of this process. The purpose of this study is to determine the role of localization in modern translation theory. To achieve this goal, we have reviewed Russian and foreign papers on localization, studied the relationship between the concepts of translation and localization as a part-to-whole issue, carried out the comparative analysis of the concepts of translation, adaptation and localization. The focus on the three key characteristics of the localization process and the analysis of localized texts placed on multilingual websites allow concluding that it is important to integrate localization concept in the theory of translation studies.
1. Batyukova N. A., 2011. Multilingual Localization in the Modern Virtual Space. Educational Technologies in Virtual Linguo-Communicative Space: Materials of the 4th International Virtual Conference on Russian Language, Literature and Culture. Erevan, Limoush, pp. 42—46 (in Russ.).
2. Pym A., 2014. Exploring Translation Theories. New York, Routledge. 255 p.
3. Androutsopoulos J., 2010. Localizing the Global on the Participatory Web. The Handbook of Language and Globalisation. Coupland, pp. 203—231.
4. Jiménez-Crespo M. A., 2013. Translation and Web Localization. Routledge. 233 p.
5. Mityagina V. A., 2014. Translation as the stage of the formation of the tourist Internet discourse. Media and intercultural communication in the European context: Materials of the International Scientific and Practical Conference. Stavropol, Publishing House of the North-Caucasian Federal University, pp. 346—348.
6. Shurlina O. V., 2014. The difficulties of "localization" as a linguistic and cultural adaptation of software texts. Vestnik VSU. Series: linguistics and intercultural communication, No. 1, pp. 83—87 (in Russ.).
7. Shadrin V. I., 2015. Localization of the information text and the problem of dehumanization of the translator's activity. Gerd A. S., Nikolaev I. S., eds. Structural and Applied Linguistics: Interuniversity Collection. St. Petersburg, Publishing house of S.-Petersburg. University, iss. 11, pp. 50—59 (in Russ.).
8. Kolosov S. A., Matveev I. A., 2016. On the relationship between the concepts of "localization" and "translation". Foreign languages: linguistic and methodological aspects, no. 36, pp. 106—111 (in Russ.).
9. Achkasov A. V., 2016. If the Mountain Will not Come... Translation Studies meets Localization. Journal of the Siberian Federal University. Series: The humanities, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 568—578.
10. Cadieux P., Esselink B., 2004. GILT: Globalization, Internationalization, Localization, Translation. Globalization Insider, Vol. XI, Iss. 1 (5), pp. 1—5.
11. Sukhareva E. E., 2013. Localization of the site as a form of intercultural communication. Vestnik VSU. Series: linguistics and intercultural communication, No. 1, pp. 166—169 (in Russ.).
12. Prunch E., 2015. The Ways of development of Western translation studies. From language asymmetry to political one. Moscow, R. Valent Publ. 512 p.
13. Sin Wai Ch., 2012. Approaching Localization. Bartrina M., Bartrina F., eds. The Routledge Handbook of Translation Studies. Carmen, London and New York, Routledge, pp. 347—362.
14. Romadina (Volkova) I. D., Mityagina V. A., 2017. Translation and Localization of Microtoponyms (Based on Russian and English-Language Texts of Online Tourism Discourse). XLinguae Journal, Vol. 10, Iss. 2, pp. 112—124. DOI: 10.18355/XL. 2017.10.02.10
15. Novikova E. Yu., 2015. Discourse characteristics of the "glocal city" on the urban Internet portal. Bulletin of the Moscow State Linguistic University, Iss. 6 (717), pp. 467—477 (in Russ.).
16. Tulnova M. A., 2013. On ways of localizing texts of global culture. Proceedings of the Volgograd State Pedagogical University, no. 1 (76), pp. 4—7 (in Russ.).
17. Kolosov S. A., Matveev I. A., 2016. Translation or localization: limitation of concepts (on the example of the cinema poster). Bulletin of the Tver State University. Series "Philology", no. 4, pp. 169—174. URL: https://library. ru/download/elibrary_ 27371275_12779214.pdf 171 (in Russ.).
18. Wermuth M.-C., 2016. Language localization in scientific drug information. The Journal of Internationalization and Localization, Vol. 3 (1), pp. 74—94.
19. Korolkova S. A., Gureeva A. Yu., 2015. Fashionable discourse: problems of localization of glossy magazines. Mityagina V. A., ed. HOMO LOQUENS (Questions of linguistics and translatology). Collection of articles. Volgograd, VolSU Publ., pp. 18—30 (in Russ.).
20. AIG Worldwide. About us. URL: http://www.aig.com/about-us.
21. AIG France. À propos. URL: https://www.aigassurance.fr/a-propos
22. Top 10 Tourism Destinations in Latvia. URL: http://www.latvia.travel/sites/default/files/download/2016/pdfs/Top10_EN_Y16.pdf
23. Top-10 dostoprimechatelnostey Latvii. URL: http://www.latvia.travel/sites/default/files/download/2016/pdfs/Top10_RU_Y16.pdf
24. Komissarov V. N., 1990. Translation theory (linguistic aspects). Moscow, Higher School. 253 p. (in Russ.).
25. Soda Or Pop? It's Teeth Trouble By Any Name. URL: https://www.drpetrillo.com/blog/post/Soda-or-Pop-By-Any-Name-Its-Trouble-for-Your-Teeth1
26. Gazirovka: napitki, opasnye dlya zdorovya zubov. URL: http://www.colgateprofessional.ru/patienteducation/a0a80a95328b6210VgnVCM10000028016e0aRCRD/