The features of using manipulative techniques to influence public opinion (based on the materials of the US presidential campaign of 2012)
This article considers manipulative techniques used by US presidential candidates B. Obama and R. Romney in the 2012 election campaign. Language manipulation is presented as one of the major components of persuasion which guarantees the successful implementation of the intended goal. The main goal of the candidate’s election campaign is to win the election. The results of a comparative analysis of manipulative techniques used by the presi-dential candidates are presented in the article.
1. Eric Smalls: Dear Mr. President // Official website of B.Obama. URL: http:// www.barackobama.com (дата обращения: 04.06.2013).
2. About Barack Obama // Official website of B.Obama. URL: http://www. barackobama.com/about/barack-obama?source=footer-nav (дата обращения: 14.08.2013).
3. People still really like president Obama // Official website of Washington-post. URL: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/03/27/people-still-really-like-president-obama (дата обращения: 08.04.2013).
4. Real change from day one // Official website of M. Romney. URL: http:// mittromneycentral.com/speeches/2012-speeches/11212-real-change-from-day-one (дата обращения: 22.09.2013).
5. The transcript of the presidential debate in Hempstead // Official website of NY Times. URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/us/politics/transcript-of-the-second-presidential-debate-in-hempstead-ny.html?pagewanted=all (дата обращения: 15.10.2013).
6. The transcript of the second presidential debate in Denver // Official website of NY Times. URL: http:// www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/04/us/poli-tics/ 20120804-denver-presidential-debate-obama-romney.html?_r=1/?annotation=d91 950519 (дата обращения: 14.06.2013).
7. The transcript of the third presidential debate // Official website of NY Times. URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/22/us/politics/transcript-of-the-third-presidential-debate-in-boca-raton-fla.html?pagewanted=all (дата обращения: 14.06.2013).