The Christian right movement in the USA in the 1990s
This article analyses the factors that strengthened the influence of the Christian right movement in the USA in the 1990s. The author considers the organizational changes and ideological transformation within the movement and its effect on the political process in this period. The article identifies the problems facing the Christian Right movement in its attempt to devise political tactics in the mid-1990s. The author pays special attention to the question of the interaction between the Christian Right movement and the Republican Party.
1. Bendyna M., Green J. C., Rozell M. J., Wilcox C. Catholics and the Christian Right: A View from Four States // Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. 2000. Vol. 39,№ 3.
2. Bolce L., De Maio G. The Anti-Christian Fundamentalist Factor in Contemporary Politics // Public Opinion Quarterly. 1999. Vol. 63, № 4.
3. Brooks C., Manza J. A Great Divide? Religion and Political Change in U. S. National Elections, 1972—2000 // The Sociological Quarterly. 2004. Vol. 45, № 3.
4. Bruce S. Modernity and Fundamentalism: the New Christian Right in America //British Journal of Sociology. 1990. Vol. 44, № 4.
5. Encyclopedia of American Religion and Politics / ed. by P. A. Djupe, L. R. Olson.N. Y., 2003.
6. God at the Grass Roots: The Christian Right in the 1994 Elections / ed. by M. Rozell, C. Wilcox. Lanham, 1995.
7. Green J. C. The Christian Right and the 1994 Elections: A View from the States //PS: Political Science and Politics. 1995. Vol. 28, № 1.
8. Green J. C., Guth J. L. The Christian Right in the Republican Party: The Case of Pat Robertson's Supporters // Journal of Politics. 1988. Vol. 50, № 1.
9. Hunter J. D. Culture Wars: The Struggle to Define America. N. Y., 1992. 10. Moen M. C. From Revolution to Evolution: The Changing Nature of the Christian Right // Sociology of Religion. 1994. Vol. 55, № 3.
11. Moen M. C. The Evolving Politics of the Christian Right // PS: Political Science and Politics. 1996. Vol. 29, № 3.
12. Micklethwait J., Wooldridge A. The Right Nation: Why America is Different. L., 2005.
13. Reed R. Casting a Wider Net // Policy Review. 1993. № 65.
14. Reed R. We Stand at a Crossroads // Newsweek. 1996. May 13.
15. Regnerus M. D., Sikkink D., Smith C. Voting with the Christian Right: Contextual and Individual Patterns of Electoral Influence // Social Forces. 1999. Vol. 77,№ 4.
16. Simonds R. L. The Religious Right Explains the Religious Right // Education Digest. 1994. Vol. 59, № 7.
17. Sojourners in the Wilderness: The Christian Right in Comparative Perspective /ed. by C. E. Smidt, J. M. Penning. Lanham, 1997.
18. The Rapture of Politics: The Christian Right as the United States Approaches the Year 2000 / ed. by S. Bruce, P. Kivisto, W. H. Swatos. New Brunswick, 1995.
19. Williams D. K. God's Own Party: The Making of the Christian Right. N. Y.,2010.
20. Wuthnow R. The Struggle for America’s Soul: Evangelicals, Liberals, and Secularism. Grand Rapids, 1989.