EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
This article describes the main characteristics of international cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) within the framework of the EU macroregional strategy. The analysis of the key directions, structure, and the Strategy implementation mechanisms demonstrates its experimental and innovative nature. At the same time, the authors identify problems ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
This article examines policies of Moscow and Brussels in the Baltics since the launch of the European Union’s Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region in June 2009. An increase in the efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union, the key player in the Baltic. The ...
The EU strategy for the Baltic region: where are we now?
This article is dedicated to the EU strategy for the Baltic Sea region approved by the European Commission in October 2009. The Strategy expresses the intention to strengthen regionalisation in the framework of the EU. It distinguishes the Baltic region as an independent priority target of the complex strategy for ...
The European Union Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and accomplishments
20. Zaucha, J. 2013, Programming development of the Baltic Sea Region, Studia Regionalia, no. 35, p.178—190.
21. Zaucha, J., Pyć, D., Böhme, K., Neumann, L., Aziewicz, D. 2020, EU macro-regional strategies for the Baltic Sea Region after 2020. A nutshell of beauty and possibilities, EUROPA XXI, no. 38, p. 5—30.
22. Jóźwiak, V., Raś, K. 2019, Have we delivered? In: 10 Years of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea region: Impact ...
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
... travelled as beneficiaries of social programmes. This article aims to research prospects of tourism and recreation development of Russia’s northwestern border regions. The author analyses statistical and analytical data and does the content analysis of regional strategies for tourism and socioeconomic development. A number of statistical methods, namely, the regression and the time series ones are used to give a deeper insight into the problem. The article explores the practices of tourism and recreation development ...
Three development strategies of the Kaliningrad region (1991—2018)
... dependent on external factors, including Russia’s political relations with foreign countries, NATO and EU. Geopolitical changes required adjustments in the region’s socio-economic development strategy. In the period of 1991 to 2018 three comprehensive strategies succeeded one another: Special economic zone (SEZ) strategy, Cooperation region strategy, International development corridor strategy. The article describes specific characteristics of each strategy. It is based on the analysis of academic publications, data from the Russian Federal State Statistics Service and the Federal ...
The project "Greater Eurasia" among the factors of development of the exclave of the Kaliningrad region
The author evaluates different development strategies for the Kaliningrad region proposed following the region’s active participation in the implementation of the Greater Eurasia project. The analysis of the strategies took into account the current trends of strengthening regionalization in the era of globalization....
The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
The Kaliningrad region is developing in complicated exclave conditions, which results in insufficient resilience of its economy to external impacts. There is a need for constant monitoring of the economic situation in the region and the adaptation of the regional strategy ...
The features of EU energy strategy in the Baltic region
This article analyses the issues of EU energy policy in the 1990s-the beginning of the 2000s in order to identify the features of energy supply and energy safety of the Baltic region countries. The research and practical significance of the work lies in the stepwise description of actions taken by EU leaders and EU member states in order to formulate a common European energy policy. The 2004 EU enlargement posed the problem ...
From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
... cooperation”). According to the author, Baltic Europe is being formed as a single administrative, economic, cultural and infrastructural area, which could become a new economic and cultural center of Europe. Special emphasis is given to policies and strategies of the EU in the Baltic Sea region.
Andrulewicz E., 1994, Morze Bałtyckie, jego zagrożenia i ochrona, Państwowa Inspekcja Ochrony Środowiska, Warszawa.
. Ciesielski ...
The Development of International Tourism in Lithuania: a Comparative Analysis of Regional Aspects
... quality-price ratio of the services offered contribute to the growth of competitiveness on the international tourism market. Service standards applied in Lithuania at the international tourism market uphold and improve the image of Lithuania in the Baltic Sea region. The interregional cooperation between Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia in the field of international tourism development is based on the principle of public private partnership. It has been recently acknowledged that the three Baltic States form ...
Environmental aspect of the current Arctic Strategy of Sweden
(дата обращения: 21.12.2016).
12. Heininen L. Arctic Strategies and Policies: Inventory and Comparative Study.Akureyri, 2012.
13. Joint Communication to the European Parliament and ... ....php/ru/our-work/newsand-events-ru/54-sweden-on-work-i-the-arctic
(дата обращения: 10.05.2017).
17. Sweden’s strategy for the Arctic region. 2012. Stockholm, 2011.
18. Tauriainen T. Handing over the gavel: Reflections on Sweden’s Chairmanship of the Arctic ...
Theoretical problems of developing a healthcare strategy for students within a regional education system
The author's treatment of key concepts and terms of strategic planning is given in the article in relation to health protection of those studying within an education system, namely, the concept and strategy of health protection, strategic choice of education system, the purpose of students’ health protection, the object and agent of health protection strategy. Preventive adaptability is interpreted as a characteristic feature of strategic planning of student’s health protection.
1. Гапоненко А....
Geopolitical development potential of the Russian exclusive region: search for key strategy and mechanisms for its implementation in new conditions
... Conflict. L., 2016.
18. Christiansen T. The European Union and Global Governance // Global Governance from Regional Perspectives: A Critical View / еd. by A. Triandafyllidou. Oxford, 2017. P. 209—233.
19. Dühr S. Baltic Sea, Danube and Macro-Regional Strategies: A Model for Transnational Cooperation in the EU? P., 2011.
20. Makarychev A. S. Contours of Regional Identity: Testing Constructivism on Kaliningrad's Ground // The Journal of Eurasian Research. 2003. Vol. 2, № 1. Р. 23—28.
21. Mezhevich N. Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project // Baltic Region. 2016. Vol. 8, № ...
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
... development of maritime activities to 2020 and to a more distant prospect)], Juridicheskij mir [Legal World], no. 2, p. 31—37.
7. Ghoghoberidze, G. G. 2009, Baltijskoe more: primorskie regiony i ih morehozjajstvennyj potencial [Baltic Sea: coastal regions and marine economic potential],
Jekonomicheskie strategii [Economic strategies], Vol. 11, no. 8, p. 150—155.
8. Ghoghoberidze, G. G., Domnina, А. Yu. 2010, Vozmozhnye konflikty mezhdu vidami morskoj dejatel'nosti v akvatorijah rossijskoj chasti jugo-vostochnoj Baltiki i razrabotka rekomendacij po ih predotvrashheniju ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
... Macro-regional Perspective, Baltic University Programme Press, Uppsala. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.1207.2087.
15. Gløersen, E., Balsiger, J., Cugusi, B., Debarbieux, B. 2019, The role of environmental issues in the adoption processes of European Union macro-regional strategies, Environmental Science & Policy, no. 97, p. 58—66. doi: 10.1016/j.envsci.2019.04.002.
16. Sokolovskaya, O. E. 2019, Various aspects of ecological factor influence on the formation of a region’s sustainable development, Moskovskiy ekonomichskiy zhurnal [Moscow economic journal], no. 8, online resource. doi: 10.24411/2413-046Х-2019—13034 (in Russ.)
17. Tretyakova, E. A., Miroliubova, T. V., Myslyakova, Yu. G., Shamova, E. A. 2018,...
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
This article analyses how the role of border regions has changed in the regional policies of Russia and European countries since the early 1990s. The study aims to estimate the efficiency of Russia’s regional policy with regard to border regions (its completeness, a focus on actual problems, etc....
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... the Development of Maritime Activities until 2030 sets the task of developing such mechanism. In this article we address key strategies that can be used in the development of marine planning tools: assessment of applicability of the existing legal framework ... ... degree of candidate of economic sciences, Moscow, Sovet po izucheniju proizvoditel'nyh sil (SOPS).
2. Baturova, G. V. 2011, Regional'nye morehozjajstvennye klastery kak osnova social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija primorskih territorij [Regional marine ...
Construction of transport and energy networks in the Baltic region as an impetus for regional development
In light of some new aspects of the EU functioning, particularly, the recovery from the 2008-2009 global crisis, transportation and energy development projects are coming to the forefront in the Baltic region. At the same time, there is a need to consider EU’s recent adoption of a common seven-year financial program (2014—2020), which serves, in effect, as the Union’s budget. Given that, one may conclude that the countries of the Baltic region ...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
Cross-border cooperation as a type of interregional interaction is becoming a significant factor in the development of border regions. It can be viewed as a result of intensification of cross-border contacts and greater economic openness of cross-border regions. Thus, the roots of current development are quite easy to pinpoint. However, assessment of the impact of cross-border ...
The development of the industrial port complex of the Kaliningrad region
Socio-economic development of the Kaliningrad region requires new scenarios and ways of functioning of the regional economy. Based on recent regional studies, the author proposes to resume the discussion of alternative strategies for the development of the Kaliningrad region. One of the most promising ideas is the marine economic strategy proposed V. V. Ivchenko. On the basis of this strategy, the author defines various possibilities of establishing an industrial port complex in the region. The main goal of the work ...
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
Through a situational approach to strategic management of regional and urban development it is possible to identify the interaction between the managerial process and mechanism; bring together the spatial and activity-related concepts of territorial development; and explain the phenomenon in question from both ...
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... firms: a study of growth and innovation rates in a high-technology industry // Strategic Management Journal. 2000. № 21 (8). P. 791—811.
43. Tayarani M., Poorfakhraei A., Nadafianshahamabadi R., Rowangould G. M. Evaluating unintended outcomes of regional smart-growth strategies: environmental justice and public health concerns // Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. 2016. № 49. P. 280—290.
44. Walker G., Kogut B., Shan W. Social capital, structural holes and the formation of an industry network ...
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... This article has theoretical and practical significance for experts studying regional competitiveness, for regional authorities, and the business community.
1. Anholt, S. 2007, Competitive Identity. The New Brand Management for Nations. Cities and regions, London, 128 p.
2. Avraham, E., Ketter, E. 2007, Media Strategies for marketing place in crisis improving the image of cities, countries and tourism destinations, Oxford, 231 p.
3. Bergman, E. M., Feser, E. J. 1999, Cluster Morphology of Regions: Analytic Options. In: Bergman, E. M., Feser, E. J. Industrial ...
Clusters in the system of economic and innovation development of agriculture in the Rostov Region and the Krasnodar Region
... complex and the actual cluster development formats). Today the innovative vectors of the complex development often lay along the large agricultural holdings, which also act as customers of R&D in the industry. The lack (despite the presence of formal strategies for regional and cluster development) of consensus on interaction in the industry and its development strategy was revealed. The cluster development component runs some certain risks in regulations. The authors indicate actual vectors of the development ...
On strengthening the territorial differentiation of the rural population and the agrarian sector of the economy in the Russian Federation
... the Russian Federation, but require further study through identification of criteria for assessing regional settlement systems and concretization of regulation measures. The ways of the settlement evolution should also be taken into account in the strategies of the regional socio-economic development. Having studied the statistical data published by Rosstat, the article analyzes the territorial features of rural settlement and its changes in relation to the level, structure and dynamics of agricultural production ...
Security in the Baltic region as a Projection of Global Confrontation between Russia and the USA
This article considers the problem of security in the Baltic region, namely, that of Poland and the Baltics. The authors rely on the works of Karl Deutsch, Emanuel Adler, on Michael Barnett’s theory of security communities and Barry Buzan’s regional security complex theory, address Steven Mann’s controlled ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... Prokkola, E.-K., Saarinen, J., Zimmerbauer, K. 2015, Regions, borders and identity in a relational and territorial world, Nordia Geographical Publications, Vol. 44, no 4, p. 1—4.
14. Interim report on the implementation of the study «The Baltic Sea Region in the focus of development strategies of the European Union and the Russian Federation », 2012, Center for Cross-Border and Interregional Cooperation of the Higher School of Economics, St. Petersburg, available at:
Cultural types and the perception of current environmental risks by local communities of the Baltic Sea region
... evaluation of the comparative efficiency of different ways and means of risk communication with the identified groups is made. It is concluded that the proposed model is methodologically promising and there is a need for differentiated risk-communication strategies.
1. Smit, B., Hovelsrud, G., Wandel, J. 2008, CAVIAR: Community Adaptation and Vulnerability in Arctic Regions, University of Guelph, Department of Geography, Occasional Paper, no. 28.
2. Budzyte, A.; Balzekiene, A. 2018, Public perceptions of institutional responsibility in climate change risk in Baltic Nordic countries, Journal of Security and Sustainability ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
Transnational (involving countries) and cross-border (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here is comparable to ...
The Kaliningrad dilemma: a 'development corridor' or a 'double periphery'? The geopolitical factor of the development of the Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea
... Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region. Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy. Policy Paper, 2001. URL: http://www.etela-suomi.fi/english/pdf/kivikari (дата обращения: 15.03.2008).
regional strategies, development corridor, geopolitical factor, Kaliningrad region, Baltic region
Strategic perspectives for the territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region
The article describes the motives, objectives and findings of preparing a perspective for territorial development of the Baltic Sea Region and discusses issues related to its implementation. Particular attention is paid to Northwest Russia and Kaliningrad region. Promoting innovation clusters, metropolitan networks and urban-rural partnerships, improving accessibility as well as enhancing ...
Similarities and differences in curricula of a bachelor’s degree in oceanology at the universities in St Petersburg, Klaipeda, and Kaliningrad
... socioeconomic development], Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii: strategija modernizacii i modernizacija strategij. Doklady uchastnikov IX Obwerossijskogo Foruma liderov strategicheskogo planirovanija [Strategic planning in the regions and cities of Russia: a strategy of modernization and upgrading strategies. Reports of the IX All-Russia Forum of Strategic Planning Leaders]. St. Petersburg, 18—19 October 2010, St. Petersburg, Leontief Centre, pp. 119—122.
20. Mikhailov, V. N., Dobrovolsky, А. D., Dobroljubov, S. А. 2007, Gidrologija [Hydrology],...
The Amber Industry: Development Сhallenges and Combating Amber Trafficking in the Baltic Region
This article considers the current state and prospective development of the amber industry in the Baltic Sea region. The authors identify the main obstacles to the industry’s development in Russia — poor pricing mechanisms for raw amber, an imbalance between supply and demand, a slow pace of technological modernisation, and a delayed introduction of new ...
The Erasmus Mundus programme as a vehicle for development
... country universities. Special attention is paid to the implementation of Erasmus Mundus projects aimed at environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, reduction in the use of hazardous substances, and the improvement of the attractiveness of the region.
1. The OECD and the Millennium Development Goals, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, available at: http://www.oecd. org/document/37/0,3746,en_2649_33721_34087845_1_1_1_1,00.html (accessed 17 December 2010).
2. EU Strategy ...
Improving Human Resource Training Policy for the Balanced Economic and Demographic Development of the Kaliningrad Region
... Socio-economic Series, no. 25, Toruń, Nicolaus Copernicus University Press, p. 101— 114. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12775/BGSS.2014.032.
20. Klemeshev, A., Fedorov, G. 2005, From an isolated exclave — to a “development corridor”. Alternative development strategies of the Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea, Kaliningrad, 194 p.
human resources, professional education, economy, economic and demographic problems, exclave region, balanced development
An economic complexity analysis of the Kaliningrad region: identifying sectoral priorities in the emerging value creation paradigm
... emergence of a new value-creation paradigm that calls for changes and structural transformations in economic systems at different levels. Structural transformations are prompted by growing economic complexity. In this context, the selection of industrial strategies and the validation of key regional industrial policies is of paramount importance. Economic complexity (EC) analysis is a new effective tool to address the issue. Its application at a subnational level is, however, limited by methodological problems. To analyse economic complexity ...
Communication of Covid-19 consequences in the Baltic States inforsphere
This article seeks to describe the dynamics of Covid-19 in the Baltic States and to analyse the ways of communicating the threat and its consequences. Particular attention is paid to the media strategies pursued in the study area. The research is based on Russian and English texts from the Baltic media, WHO official documents and datasets, as well as initiatives of the Baltic Sea region organisations (2020) counteracting Covid-19. A combination of these sources builds up an objective view of the situation and demonstrates how the pandemic and its consequences are represented in public consciousness given a certain pragmatic goal....
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... Kontorovich, A. E., Kuleshov, V. V. et all 2004, Strategy of social and economic development of Siberia: scientific foundations and the beginning of implementation. In: Strategii makroregionov Rossii: metodologicheskie podkhody, prioritety i puti realizatsii [Strategies for Russia's Macro-regions: methodological approaches, priorities and ways of implementation], Moscow, p. 479—592. (In Russ.)
24. Dergachev, V. A. 1989, Maritime complex of the Azov-Black Sea region, the Soviet Union: economic and geographical aspects. In: Yuzhnye morya SSSR: geograficheskie problemy issledovaniya i osvoeniya [Southern seas of the USSR: geographical problems of research and development], Leningrad, p. 39—50. (In Russ.)
The system approach to modernisation and innovative regional development: strategic objectives
Russia must follow the path of modernisation and innovative development. The analysis conducted shows the absence of laws, strategies and uniform terminology regarding modernization and innovations. The author examines the factors affecting the content of these terms, describes the system approach to modernization and regional innovative development, develops regional methodology and identifies the strategic targets for modernisation and innovative development.
1. Aganbegyan, А. G. 2010, Uroki krizisa: Rossii nuzhna modernizacija i innovacionnaja jekonomika [Lessons ...
The Baltics on Their Way towards a Circular Economy
3. Allwood, J. M. 2014, Squaring the Circular Economy: The Role of Recycling Within a Hierarchy of Material Management Strategies, Waltham.
4. Arthur, W. B. 2011, The Second Economy, McKinsey Quarterly, October, McKinsey & Company, available at: ... ... the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Commission Work Programme 2015 — A New Start, Brussels, available at:
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
The Baltic region consists of coastal areas of nine countries — Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland. The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s ...
A spatial study of networking in the Vistula Lagoon region using geoinformation systems
... methods of geography and modern GIS; a specific case is made of the cross-border Vistula lagoon region — the one that brings together Russian and Polish municipalities. The authors provide with the background for the search of possible development strategies in the region, and note that the creation of a regional GIS structure can become a necessary component of the region’s information and communication structure; this conclusion can be considered the key result of the research conducted. The practical significance ...
Knowledge Management and the Increase of SME Competitiveness: a Case Study
... sharing: A review & directions for future research // Human Resource Management Review. 2010. Vol. 20, № 2.
25. Teece D. J. Strategies for managing knowledge assets: the role of firms structure and industrial context: 125—144 // TeeceDJ (eds). Managing ... ... Journal of Knowledge Management. 1999. Vol. 3, № 2.
Voronov V., Lavrinenko O.
knowledge, management knowledge, business, region, competitiveness, Latvia.
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... architekturze bezpieczeństwa — perspektywy, Biuletyn — Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych, no. 46, p. 479—482.
32. Gimbutas, M. 1965, Bronze Age Cultures in Central and Eastern Europe, Paris, The Hague, London.
33. Grzelakowski, A. 2010, Region Morza Bałtyckiego — strategie rozwoju, Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, no. 589; Ekonomiczne Problemy Usług, no. 49, p. 16—36.
34. Hakanson, L. 1991, Charakterystyka fizycznogeograficzna zlewiska Morza Bałtyckiego. Środowisko Morza Bałtyckiego, Uppsala,...
Strategies for the development of the Baltic region
Development strategies of the Baltic region
Theoretical approaches of strategic aim-formation for region
The problem of definition of the regional aims and purposes is revealed on the basis of economic theories of growth and development. The author puts forward the concept of the strategic purposes of region which is constructed on hierarchy and coalition principles.
The Baltic macroregion: geographical macrostructures, communication features, innovative potential
The article considers and assesses the influence of macro-geographical factors on communication behaviour of people in the course of transition to innovative economy through the example of the Baltic Sea region.
1. Dinamika razvitija jekonomicheskogo krizisa: Sweden [The dynamics of the economic crisis: Sweden], 2010, Informacionnyj bjulleten' Instituta Baltijskogo regiona RGU im. I. Kanta [Newsletter of the Institute of Baltic Studies of the Immanuel ...
On ensuring the energy security of the Kaliningrad region
This article analyses possibilities for minimising energy threats to the economy of the Kaliningrad region — an isolated Russian exclave. The au-thors consider the key aspects of the region’s economic security, identify threats, and provide a critical assessment different solutions to this problems. The research is based on the data of Rosstat and ...