The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
The Kaliningrad region is developing in complicated exclave conditions, which results in insufficient resilience of its economy to external impacts. There is a need for constant monitoring of the economic situation in the region and the adaptation of the regional strategy ...
The Baltics on Their Way towards a Circular Economy
... Policy and Legislation, available at:
17. European Commission, 2014, ANNEX to the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions: Commission Work Programme 2015 — A New Start, Brussels, available at:
18. European Commission, 2014, Towards a circular economy: A zero waste programme for Europe, Communication ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... Vasquez Barquero, A. (eds), Organization
of Production and Territory: Local Models of Dévelopment, Pavia, Gianni Iuculano Editore.
29. Eskelinen, H., Hannibalsson, I., Malmberg, A., Maskell, P., Vatne, E. 1998, Competitiveness, Localised Learning and Regional Development: Specialisation and
Prosperity in Small Open Economies, Routledge, London, 256 p.
30. Karlsson, C., Rouchy, P. 2015, Regional Economic Development, Social Capital and Governance: A Buchanian Approach, CESIS Electronic Working Paper Series, no. 390, 38 p.
31. Wilson, J. 2008, Territorial competitiveness ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
The article explores opportunities for the sustainable economic development of coastal territories in the Baltic Sea region (BSR) arising in blue economy sectors in the framework of digital transformation. The study argues that a more active commercialisation of territorial resources can facilitate the sustainable economic development of the BSR coastal territories,...
Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
..., The Economic Journal, no. 107 (440), p. 113—133.
22. Hanson, G. 1998, Regional adjustment to trade liberalization, Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol. 28, no. 4, p. 419—444.
23. Henderson, J. 1982, Systems of cities in closed and open economies, Regional Science and Urban Economics, Vol. 12, no. 3, p. 325—350.
24. Irwin, D., Terviö, M. 2002, Does trade raise income?: Evidence from the twentieth century, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 58, no. 1, p. 1—18.
25. Kanbur, R., Zhang,...
Improving Human Resource Training Policy for the Balanced Economic and Demographic Development of the Kaliningrad Region
Balanced economic and demographic development is vital for ensuring the dynamic and proportional development of the regions. However, Russia as a whole and the exclave region of Kaliningrad as its integral part demonstrate significant disproportions between the need for human resources and their availability. This article aims to assess the balance between the components ...
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
... Haidar, J. I. 2012, The impact of business regulatory reforms on economic growth, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol. 26, no. 3, p. 285—307.
27. Ju, J., Yu, X. 2015, Productivity, profitability, production and export structures ... ... 518—520.
31. Klemeshev, A. P., Fedorov, G. M., Manakov, A. G. 2015, Baltic subjects of the Russian Federation among border regions of Russia, International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, no. 5 (SPEC. ISSUE), p. 41—48.
32. Kuzmin, A., Tsygankov,...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... economic transformations in the Russian Northwest (NWFD). It studies the changes in the structure of the gross regional product (GRP) and economic specialization of the NWFD regions. The authors suggest approaches to managing structural changes in the economies of the NWFD regions. The authors propose a new method for the identification of the regional economic specialization on the basis of the reginal economy sectoral development rate. The article describes a methodology for identifying the development of the regional ...
Innovation performance of Russia’s Northwestern regions: a comparative evaluation
29. Stanković, J., Veselinović, I., Stojković, N. 2020, DEA Assessment of Socio-economic Development of European Countries, Management: Journal of Sustainable Business and Management Solutions in Emerging Economies. doi:
30. Yang, Z. 2013, Empirical analysis of regional development level based on DEA model, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, no. 51, p. 272—280.
31. Anderson, H., Gyamfi, S., Stejskal, J. 2019, Efficiency of intellectual capital generation: a DEA analysis of selected ...
Commodity flow model for an exclave region: Rent-seeking in the ‘transitional period’ of the special economic zone
This article focuses on a commodity flow model for an exclave region (CFMER). The CFMER development is aimed at identifying aggregate proportions of the exclave’s economy in the transitional period of the special economic zone (SEZ) functioning. The key method of analysis is the comparison of data on the generation ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
Various studies of economic and geographical relations in Russian regions often overemphasise the role of economy. However, the quality and quantity of human resources is one of the key factors behind distribution and development of production. Human resources are of even more importance in the Kaliningrad exclave. ...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... mirovogo hozjajstva [An introduction to the geography of the world economy]. In: Mezhdunarodnoe razdelenie truda [The international division of labor], Moscow, p. 194—196.
13. Mikhailov, A. 2013, Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 37—46. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-1-4.
14. Moshkov, А. V. 2005, Promyshlennye uzly Dal'nego Vostoka [Industrial units of the Far East], Владивосток, 192 p.
15. Pavlov, E. 2013, Tehnoparki — vazhnyj jelement ...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
... European part of Russia. The authors hold that transboundary clustering takes priority in the Baltic coastal region — nine of the 56 clusters identified are located in the Kaliningrad region and another eight in Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad region. The authors describe major catalysts and immanent inhibitors in coastal zones. The former include a high density of coastal economies, proximity to international markets, and better logistics and communications. The inhibitors comprise geopolitical risks and institutional barriers. It is shown that the potential and prospects of transboundary clustering are affected by both ...
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
43. Kolodko, G. W., Gotz-Kozierkiewicz, D., Skrzeszewska-Paczek, E. 1992, Hyperinflation and Stabilization in Postsocialist Economies, Norwell and Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers Group.
44. Blanchard, O., Commander, S., Coricelli, F. 1995, Unemployment ... ... Russia, EDI Development Studies, Washington, DC, the World Bank, p. 289—330.
45. Förster, M., Jesuit, D., Smeeding, T. 2005, Regional Poverty and Income Inequality in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence from the Luxembourg Income Study. In: Kanbur. R....
On digitalization of the Kaliningrad region as an economic security element
... political, cultural, and other threats that can be partially mitigated by creating favorable basic conditions for digital transformation. In this regard, the purpose of this study is to assess some quantitative indicators reflecting the readiness of the region's economy for digitalization. For this purpose, the integral index is calculated as the arithmetic mean of 8 sub-indices characterizing the technological provision of enterprises in the region and the affordability of information and communication ...
Institutional approach to assessing the transition to a circular economy: the case of the Kaliningrad region
... ownership blurring as a factor that may hinder the transition to a circular economy, which has been proposed as one of the outcomes of the reform. This study aims to address possible obstacles to transitioning to a circular economy in the Kaliningrad region. Methodologically, the study uses instruments of new institutional economics: by comparing discrete institutional alternatives for municipal solid waste (MSW) management, the authors propose incentive schemes that will likely stimulate the transition ...
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
This article presents a modern interpretation of the concept of ‘geoeconomic situation’ as applied to one of the most important centers of the Baltic region — the St. Petersburg agglomeration. The coastal location of the agglomeration and close connections with the Leningrad region make it possible to consider the Saint Petersburg coastal region (Baltic Area) as a whole. The article sets out not ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... in the system of traditional concepts of this branch of geography: spatial system, territorial production complex, and cluster. The interaction between networks on a certain territory at a certain stage of its development comprises the framework of a region as a complex socioeconomic territorial system. The author examines economic networks as organic systems characterised by resistance to external effects and comprised of interconnected economic agents from one or several related industries. A concentration ...
The potential of structural changes in the economy of the Kaliningrad region
The issue of structural policy in the Kaliningrad region remains pressing. Russia’s commitment to modernisation based on innovative development, overcoming the dependence on raw materials, and the current crisis phenomena require a transformation of the structure of region’s economy.
An effective ...
The resistance of the greater Baltic region states to market cycle changes
... However, many researchers have shown that different economic sectors do not respond to market cycles in a similar way. Regional economic systems are a combination of many sectors, therefore a hypothesis about the correlation between the stability of regional economies and market cycles is examined. The study is conducted using the Baltic countries (hereinafter referred to as Greater Baltic Region, GBR) as an example. GBR countries have been classified into highly stable, relatively stable, unstable, and highly ...
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
... Subtle Critique — A Response to Markusen, Regional Studies, Vol. 37 (6—7), p. 719—727.
28. Manning, S. 2008, Customizing Clusters: On the Role of Western Multinational Corporations in the Formation of Science and Engineering Clusters in Emerging Economies, Economic Development Quarterly,Vol. 2, no. 4, p. 316—323.
29. Markusen, A. 1999, Fuzzy concepts, scanty evidence, policy distance: the case for rigour and policy relevance in critical regional studies, Regional Studies, no. 33(9), p. 869—884.
30. Markusen, A. 1996, Sticky places in slippery space: a typology of industrial districts, Economic Geography,Vol. 72 (3), p. 293―313.
31. Martin, P., Mayer, T., Mayneris, F. 2011, Public ...
The assessment of research and technical potential in the framework of the innovative model of development of regional economy
This article considers the research and technological potential and the innovative activity in a specific region of Russia — the Kaliningrad region. The authors assess its research and technological potential, and the achieved level of innovative activity in the Kaliningrad region as prerequisites necessary for the implementation of an innovative model ...
Spatial structure and development of settlements in the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... agglomeration. The borders and composition of the Saint Petersburg agglomeration are brought up to date. Examining the population size of the settlements helps locate the ‘growth belt’ of the agglomeration. Lists of major enterprises of the city and the region make it possible to identify patterns in the economic development of the study area. The SPARK-Interfax database aids in clarifying relationships between spatial elements of the agglomeration (its core and satellites) in the distribution of revenues ...
Scenarios of increasing the economic efficiency of the Kaliningrad regional transport system
The development of the considerable transport and logistics potential of the Kaliningrad region is hampered by several factors. This problem, to which we will refer to as a transport deadlock effect, translates into the limited contribution of transport to the regional economy. Particularly, it manifests itself at the level of regional gross ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... European Union and the Mediterranean, p. 611—628.
37. Hynes, S., Farrelly, N. 2012, Defining standard statistical coastal regions for Ireland, Marine Policy, Vol. 36, no. 2, p. 393—404.
38. Kasanko, M., Barredo, J. I., Lavalle, C. et al. 2006, Are ... ... p. 111—130.
39. Kildow, J. T., McIlgorm, A. 2010, The importance of estimating the contribution of the oceans to national economies, Marine Policy, Vol. 34, no. 3, p. 367—374.
40. Leontidou, L. 1990, The Mediterranean City in Transition, Cambridge,...
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... constructed, imagined and experienced, London, 269 p.
8. Moilanen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to brand nations, cities and destinations: A planning book for place branding, London, 188 p.
9. Bazhenov, Yu. N., Nikulchenkov, K. E. 2009, Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions, Balt. Reg., Vol. 1, no. 2, p. 34—38. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2009-2-4.
10. Bazhenov, Yu. N., Podshuveit, O. V. 2014, St Petersburg Business Information Centres and Their Role in Increasing the Efficiency of International Business Activities,...
The boundaries of the territorial community
The study clarifies the concept of spatial networking inherent of various forms of interactions within the territorial socio-economic system of a region. The author offers a classification of spatial networks, identifies and describes types of spatial boundaries of different types of territorial communities: geographic, organizational, cognitive, cultural, institutional, social and technological....
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
... Comparative Population Studies, vol. 37, no. 1—2.
37. Lafleur, J. M., Stanek, M. 2017, EU Migration and the Economic Crisis: Concepts and Issues. In: South-North Migration of EU Citizens in Times of Crisis.
38. Kuznetsova, O. V. 2020, Vulnerability of Regional Economies’ Structure in Crisis Conditions, Federalism, no. 2, p. 20—38. doi:
39. Zubarevich, N. V., Safronov, S. G. 2020, Regions of Russia in the acute phase of the COVID crisis: differences ...
Innovative economy in the Baltic Sea region
... of the Academy of Finance], no. 4.
16. Antyushina, N (ed.). 2008, Severnaja Evropa region novogo razvitija [Northern Europe region of new development], Moscow, Ves’ Mir.
17. Mattsson, L. G., Pettigrew, A. M. 1987, Management of Strategic Change in ... ... «Markets-as-Networks» Perspective, Oxford, Blackwell.
18. Toledano, J. A. 1978, Propos des filières industrielles, Revue d'Economie industrielle, no. 6.
19. Dahmen, E. 1950, Entrepreneurial Activity and the Development of Swedish Industry, 1919—1939,...
Matrix Representation of the Kaliningrad Regional Accounts System: Experimental Development and Modelling Prospects
This article addresses the task of creating a regional Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) in the Kaliningrad region. Analyzing the behavior of economic systems of national and sub-national levels in the changing environment is one of the main objectives of macroeconomic research. Matrices are used in ...
The Baltic economic model: some results of the 1990—2015 transformations
... significance. On the one hand, the three Baltic States are a part of the post-Soviet space. The nature, success or failures of their economies contribute to a more accurate assessment of Russia’s development. On the other hand, it is the second decade of the ... ... capitalist dictatorship], Moscow, 201 p.
6. Agafonov, N.Т, Litovka, О.P, Islyaev, R. А. 1998, Gosudarstvennaja strategija regional'nogo razvitija Rossii: smena paradigmy territorial'noj organizacii obshhestva [State Strategy of Regional Development ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
International cluster is a relatively new form of spatial organisation of economy in the globalisation conditions, which has become a frequent phenomenon in European countries, including those of the Baltic region. It requires a comprehensive study of both regional economics and economic geography. This article aims to identify structured international clusters in the Baltic region and map the corresponding regions. The results obtained will make it possible ...
The concept of improving the methodology of exclave region's economy management on the basis of investment programming
... учебник. 4-е изд. М., 2011.
7. Райзберг Б. А., Лобко А. Г. Программно-целевое планирование и управление : учебник. М., 2002.
Kasimova T. V.
exclave region, management of regional economies, investment
processes, investment programming
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
Cross-border cooperation as a type of interregional interaction is becoming a significant factor in the development of border regions. It can be viewed as a result of intensification of cross-border contacts and greater economic openness of cross-border regions. Thus, the roots of current development are quite easy to pinpoint. However, assessment of the impact of cross-border ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
This article explores the current condition and spatial dynamics of the key socioeconomic processes in the coastal zone of the European subcontinent at the turn of the 20th century. Europe is a region where the “coastal component” of socioeconomic development plays a major role and is therefore one of the most interesting objects for research in this field. Russian geographical proximity to the European countries, a significant number of ...
The system approach to modernisation and innovative regional development: strategic objectives
... development. The analysis conducted shows the absence of laws, strategies and uniform terminology regarding modernization and innovations. The author examines the factors affecting the content of these terms, describes the system approach to modernization and regional innovative development, develops regional methodology and identifies the strategic targets for modernisation and innovative development.
1. Aganbegyan, А. G. 2010, Uroki krizisa: Rossii nuzhna modernizacija i innovacionnaja jekonomika [Lessons ...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
... Bonnet N. Does local technological innovation lead to local development? A policy perspective // Regional Science Policy and Practice. 2011. № 3 (3). P. 249—272.
38. Storper M. The Regional World. N. Y., 1997.
39. Storper M. The Resurgence of Regional Economies, Ten Years Later: The Region as a Nexus of Untraded Interdependencies // European Urban and Regional Studies. 1995. № 2 (3). P. 191—221. doi: 10.1177/096977649500200301.
40. World Development Report 2009: Reshaping Economic Geography / ...
The theoretical aspects of adapting the Kaliningrad region’s economy to the WTO requirements
This paper analyses the risks and expected benefits associated with the transformation of the Russian economy in line with the WTO requirements and provides a theoretical framework for the adaptation of the Kaliningrad region’s economy to Russia’s membership in the WTO.
1. Об Особой экономической зоне в Калининградской области : федеральный закон № 13-ФЗ от 22.01.1996 г. [Электронный ...
The Kaliningrad region: the characteristics of the 2008—2009 economic crisis and possible ways of overcoming it
This article analyses the causes of the economic decline in the Kaliningrad region in 2008—2009, which was sharper than the Russian average. The author suggests a number of measures aimed to mitigate the consequences of the crisis, expedite its termination, facilitate the return of economic growth and find solutions to social ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... development and producing an innovative model of the Russian economy. One of the key objectives of the country’s integration into international research, technological, and innovative space is the development of Russia-EU cooperation in the Baltic region. It is established that, with the development of integration connections and regionalization processes, interorganizational networking takes on special importance in the organization and development of the innovative space. The authors analyze ...
Current trends in the development of a green finance system: methodology and practice
... concept of green growth and sustainable development is turning into a global ideology guiding the transformation of national economies. The focus is shifting from quantitative assessments of performance to rational choice conditions. Rationality is becoming ... ... Shkiperova, G. T., Kurilo, A. E., Prokopyev, E. A. 2019, Development of the «green» economy: a comparative analysis of the regions of the North-West, Ekonomika i sotsium: sovremennye modeli razvitiya [Economy and society: modern models of development],...
The development of small innovative enterprises through harmonising economic interests
... prevention of conflicts resulting from their incompatibility. The recommendations on the application of instruments for harmonizing economic interests can be used in drawing up programmes for the development of small innovative business at the federal, regional, and municipal levels.
1. Molchanova, O. P. (ed.). 2010, Mehanizmy gosudarstvennoj podderzhki innovacionnogo predprinimatel'stva: Analiz mezhdunarodnogo opyta [Mechanisms of state support of innovative business: Analysis of international experience],...
Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region
30. Fateev, V. S. 2012, Klastery, klasternyj podhod i ego ispol'zovanie kak instrumenta regulirovanija razvitija nacional'noj i regional'noj jekonomiki [Clusters, cluster approach and its use as a tool for regulating the development of national and regional economies], Jekonomika. Sociologija. Biologija [Economy. Sociology. Biology], no. 2 (131). p. 40—50.
31. Yasheva, G. А. 2012, Formirovanie mezhdunarodnyh klasterov kak faktor povyshenija konkurentosposobnosti jekonomik Rossii, Belarusi i Ukrainy [Formation ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
The Baltic region consists of coastal areas of nine countries — Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland. The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s ...
The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
... cases, integration of a large international region or an interstate union can only be promoted by political means. The policy of regional economic convergence prevails in many sectors. The single economic market and membership in economic and monetary unions ... ... of political governance, which the Union State of Russia-Belarus faces due to their asymmetric and not completely compatible economies. The author analyzes the process of interstate convergence, considering it as an essential part of integration and explores ...
Innovative security of the region: the problem of the formation of the innovation environment of the Kaliningrad region
The article is devoted to the topical issue of providing innovation security of the Kaliningrad region, Russia’s exclave on the Baltic Sea. The author discusses the importance of creating a favourable innovation environment in the region for sustainable implementation of the innovative model of economic development. The author assesses the innovation ...
The Kaliningrad Region: Challenges of the Exclave Position and Ways to Offset Them
The recent geopolitical shifts and Russia’s response to them have had a significant impact on the Kaliningrad region. This has created new challenges and warranted a revision of the old ones. The article investigates the reaction of the region’s economy to the challenges of its exclave position and considers possible measures to offset related problems in the ...
Monotowns: A New Take on the Old Problem
... resursnyj monogorod: territorija dozhivanija ili proekt social'no-politicheskoj stabil'nosti (na primere g. Vol'ska Saratovskoj obl.) [Modern resource industry town: Living out area or project of social and political stability (for example, Volsk Saratov region)], Vlast [Power], no. 4, p. 11—12.
5. Verdikt professionalov [Verdict of professionals], 2009, Terra Sapiens [Terra Sapiens. Scientific Newsletter of the Union of Russian science cities], no. 1 (8), May, p. 4.
6. Gureeva, М. А. 2011, Jekonomicheskie ...
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
Through a situational approach to strategic management of regional and urban development it is possible to identify the interaction between the managerial process and mechanism; bring together the spatial and activity-related concepts of territorial development; and explain the phenomenon in question from both ...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... geopolitical situation and adjustment of the currency exchange rates at the end of 2014. Based on statistics and analytical data, the authors arrive at the conclusion that the positive effect of LBT outdoes its negative impact on various sectors of the border regions’ economies, including retail trade.
1. Anisevich, R., Palmovsky, T., Dragileva, I. I.. 2013 , Vlijanie mestnogo prigranichnogo peredvizhenija na razvitie transgranichnogo turizma mezhdu Respublikoj Pol'sha i Kaliningradskoj oblast'ju Rossijskoj Federacii ...