From the idea to the strategy of Baltic Europe
... współpracy z Fundacją Polska w Europie”, Warszawa.
Zaucha J., Integracja wokół Bałtyku, [w:] E. Toczyska (red.), Podstawy reformy samorządowej, Uniwersytet Gdański,
Baltic Sea, the Baltic Sea region, Baltic Europe, the European Union (EU), “Northern Dimension”, Baltic cooperation strategy
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
....eu/regional_policy/sources/cooperate/baltic/pdf/2010_baltic.pdf (accessed 25.12.2015).
21. Wiedemann, J. 2013, The European Union Baltic Sea Strategy and Baltic Sea Region Programme, München, 28 p.
Kosov Yu., Gribanova G.
The EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region, Northern Dimension, region, macroregional cooperation
A methodology for research on international cooperation on marine environment protection: application of the Baltic Sea practices to the northern seas
This article is dedicated to the methodology for the study of international cooperation on marine environment protection. The author suggests applying the practices of marine environment protection in the Baltic Sea to the northern seas as well as examining earlier projects for the effective implementation of interdisciplinary initiatives bringing together international law, international relations and world politics.
1. Gorbachev, M. S. 1987. Pravda. 2 oktjabrja.
Some features of external migration processes in the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia
The combination of two major economic and geographical factors — the presence of the border and access to the sea — largely determine the features of socio-economic development of the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia ... ..., Finland, Estonia and Norway. The coastal position becomes an attractive factor for all the studied regions, except for the northern ones. The border can also affect the migration adversely both in the northern regions, and in the Leningrad region, St....
The main environmental problems of the Baltic Sea and the ways to solve them
... Sea: natural or human induced? Limnol. Oceanogr.Vol. 45, pp. 716—726.
19. HELCOM (2009). Eutrophication in the Baltic Sea — An integrated thematic assessment of the effects of nutrient enrichment and eutrophication in the Baltic Sea region. Balt Sea Environ Proc No 115B. Helsinki: HELCOM, p. 148.
20. Flinkman, J., Aro, E., Vuorinen, I., Viitasalo, M. 1998. Changes in northern Baltic zooplankton and herring nutrition from 1980s to 1990s: top-down and bottom-up processes at work. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. Vol. 165. pp. 127—136.
21. Bonsdorff, E., Blomqvist, E., Mattila J. and Norkko A. 1997. Estuar. Coastal Shelf Sci....
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
... around the Baltic Rim, COPRI.
Kiniklioğlu S., Morkva V.
An anatomy of Turkish — Russian relations //
Southeast European and Black Sea Studies. 2007.
Knudsen O. F.
Cooperative security in the Baltic Sea Region // Chaillot Papers. 1998. № 33.
Masegosa C., José L.
Regional Security — building in
, The Barents Euro — Arctic region //
Northern Studies Programme. 1998. № 12.
Back to the Future: Instability in
after the Cold War // International Security. 1990. Vol. 15. № 1.
The resurgence of the ‘Region’ and ‘Regional Identity’: ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
... Subregional Cooperation, CPMR Baltic Sea Commission, Euroregion Baltic and Union of the Baltic Cities, 2012, April, available at: http://www.ubc.net/plik,3338.html (accessed 24 August 2012).
13. Browning, Chr. (ed.), 2005, Remaking Europe in the Margins. Northern Europe after the Enlargements, Aldershot, Ashgate.
14. The Russian Presidency of the Council of the Baltic Sea States (July 2012 — June 2013), 2012-2013, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, available at: http://www.cbss-russia.ru/sbgm_eng.pdf (accessed 10 May 2013).
Baltic Sea region, Russia, European Union, EU Strategy ...
Small business developing the regional Identity: a case study in the Baltic Sea Region
Presentation at the 8
Summit of the Baltic Development Forum. Helsinki, October 31, 2006.
BaltMet Action Plan
2008—2010; accepted at the Mayors’ meeting in Tallinn on November 6, 2007.
(ed.) Cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region.
Oxford: Taylor & Francis, 1993.
Regionalization and the Theory of International Relations
Towards a Business Community in the Northern Dimension Area? // Presentation at the 5
Northern Dimensions Network Meeting, Manchester, U.
K., December 13, 2005.
A Working Peace System. London, New York, 1943.
Verkostojen Itämeri: Vuorovaikutus ja ...
Innovative development of Russian coastal regions: north–south divergence
... other infrastructure. Coastal regions are so diverse that it is impossible to construct a development model that will fit all of them. One can speak only of general trends. This study focuses on identifying differences between the innovation systems of northern and southern coastal regions within the same country. The geographical scope of the study is four Russian coastal territories: Murmansk and Arkhangelsk in the Baltic Sea region and Rostov and Krasnodar in the Azov-Black Sea region. Methodologically, this study carries out a comparative assessment of heterogeneity of innovative development at municipal and interregional levels, using four groups of indicators: human ...
On the role of Arctic cod in the nutrition of abundant bird species of the Barents Sea
This article analyses the role of Arctic cod—the most abundant representative of Arctic fish fauna in the food web of the Barents Sea ecosystems. The author estimates the degree of its consumption by the most abundant seabirds-ichthyophagist (northern fulmar, Brünnich's guillemot, black-legged kittiwake) and performs ccalculations that can serve as a basis for bioresource forecasting for the Barents Sea in order to minimise the damage to the ecosystem and water area biodiversity.
1. Белопольский ...
Saint-Petersburg in the Baltic Sea region
... Studies Committee: URL: http://www.
/ ecpr/ events/wisc/index. htm (
Khudolei Konstantin, Lanko Dmitry
Saint-Petersburg, the Baltic Sea region, international relations, the Council of Baltic Sea States (CBSS), the Union of the Baltic Cities, the Northern Dimension
Suspended Particulate Matter Distribution Along the Northern Coast of the Kaliningrad Peninsula
... гидрохимический режим // Процессы осадконакопления в Гданьском бассейне (Балтийское море). М., 1987. C. 30—57.
13. Bubnova E., Krechik V., Sivkov V. Suspended matter concentration alongside the northern coastline of Kaliningrad region (south-eastern part of the Baltic Sea) // EMECS'11 SeaCoasts XXVI. August 22—27, 2016, St. Petersburg, Russia. Joint conference. Managing risks to coastal regions and communities in a changing world. Abstract Book. St. Petersburg, 2016. P. 145.
14. Cyberska В., Krzyminski W. Extention ...
Forms of International Cooperation in Environmental Education: the Experience of Saint Petersburg State University
Ionov Victor V., Kaledin Nikolay V., Kakhro Nadezhda M., Kassens Heidemarie, Movchan Vladislav N., Pfeiffer Eva-Maria, Fedorova Irina V., Zubrzycki Sebastian
Baltic Sea region, Arctic, Northern seas, ecology, international cooperation
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
... Europe, Research Journal of International Studies, no. 22, p. 120—131.
15. Joenniemi, P., Sergunin, A. 2011, City-Twinning in Northern Europe: Challenges and Opportunities, Saarbrücken, Lambert Academic Publishing.
16. Jussila, H. 1997, Building of a ... ... Cities, Berlin, Logos Verlag, p. 133—149.
19. Pikner, T. 2008, Evolving cross-border urban networks. Case studies in the Baltic Sea area, Nordia Geographical Publications, Vol. 37, no. 4, p. 9—13.
20. Schultz, H., Jajeśniak-Quast, D. and Stokłosa, K....
Deformations of the marinve coastline of the Curonian spit (South-Eastern Baltic Sea) during autumn-winter season of 2018—2019
A northern storm with a wind speed of up to 23 m/s, lasting 10 hours, with a wave height of 7—8 m, accompanied by a rise in sea level by 0.7 m, hit the coast of the Southeastern Baltic Sea in January 2019. The coast of the Russian part of the Curonian Spit was selectively eroded. The most significant erosion was recorded in the near border part of the coast (the foredune ...
The impact of environmental factors on the distribution of Macoma balthica (Linnaeus 1758) and Mytilus edulis (Linnaeus 1758) in the southeastern part of the Baltic Sea
... ред. Н.
С. Гаевской. М., 1948. С. 405—446.
Донная фауна восточной части Балтийского моря. Таллин
The soft bottom ecosystem of the northern Baltic proper with special reference to the macrofauna // Contributions from the Asko Laboratory. 1977. №
19. P. 1—62.
Distribution of zoobenthos in the bottom sediment of the near-shore zone of the Baltic Sea in Nida-Klaipeda stretch // Acta Zoologica Lituanica. 2003. Vol. 13
2. P. 125—134.
Ackefors H., Elmgren R.
Recommendations on methods for marine biological studies in the Baltic Sea // Baltic Marine Biologists, ...
Innovative economy in the Baltic Sea region
... http://www.vinnova.se (accessed 01 June 2012).
25. Antyushina N. 2007, Strany Severnoj Evropy: naukoemkij tip razvitija [Countries of Northern Europe: knowledge-intensive type of development], Economist, no. 10, p. 29—40.
26. Sala-i-Martin, X. 2011, Global Competitiveness ... ... RUP «BNTU «Metolit» Science and technology park.
Mezhevich Nikolay, Pribyshin Taras
national innovation system, Baltic Sea region, Triple Helix, R&D
EU-Russia cooperation in the Baltic Sea marine environment protection
... Экологическое партнерство «Северного измерения». URL: http://www.ndep.org/rus/home.asp (дата обращения: 14.02.2011).
Yezhova T. G.
Baltic Sea, European Union, HELCOM, particularly sensitive sea
area, action plan, «Northern Dimension», common economic space, «road map
NATO Policies in the Baltics: Objectives and Priorities
... defend the Baltic states from the Russian threat. Special attention is paid to the attempts of Western military strategists to encourage the neutral Nordic states — Sweden and Finland — to accede to NATO. This would lead to the organisation’s northern enlargement. The current situation suggests that to ease tension in the Baltic Sea region Russia has not only to respond adequately to emerging military threats but also to launch an awareness campaign to explain its position and dispel the myth about Russia preparing to start a hybrid war against the Baltic States.
Application of the gravimetric method in the study of paleoincisions on the territory of the Kaliningrad region
... drillings // Journal of Applied Geophysics. 2003. № 54. P. 215—228.
15. Kluivert S. J., Bosch J. H. A., Ebbing J. H. J. et al. Onshore and offshore seismic and lithostratigraphic analysis of a deeply incised Quaternary buried valley-system in the Northern Netherlands // Journal of Applied Geophysics. 2003. № 53. P. 249—271.
16. Kristensen T. B., Huuse M., Piotrowski J. A., Clausen O. R. A morphometric analysis of tunnel valleys in the eastern North Sea based on 3D seismic data // Journal of Quaternary Science. 2007. Vol. 22. P. 815—901.
17. Smit F. W. H. Buried glacial valleys as drinking water reservoirs: An assessment on function and risks in their role as drinking water reservoirs in the icemarginal ...
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
... available at:
. igh. ru/smi/224/ (accessed 10.02.2016).
15. Eurostat, 2016, available at:
16. Kivikari, U. 2001, A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region, Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy, Policy Paper, available at:
17. The World Factbook, Central Intelligence Agency, 2016, available at:
Innovative education for the Baltic region: the experience of the Finnish-Russian Cross-border University
... Lingvisticheskoe izmerenie mirovoj politiki. Saint Petersburg.
(ed.). 1993. Cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region. Oxford.
2007. The Knight, the Beast and Treasure: A Semiotic Inquiry into the Finnish Political ... ... Proceeding of 16
Nordic Peace Research Conference.
Khudoley, K. K.
Russia, the EU and the Northern Dimension // Flexible Frontier:
Change and Continuity in Finnish-Russian Relations / еd. by M. Lahteenmari. Helsinki....
Filtration activity of mollusks Mya arenaria L. (Bivalvia) in estuaries of the southern Baltic Sea
... P. 73—79.
13. Schiewer U. Salzhaff, Greifswalder Bodden, Darß-Zingster Boddenkette: Gewässereutrophierung und Pufferkapazität — ein Vergleich // Rostock. Meeresbiolog. Beitr. 2001. Vol. 9. P. 5—19.
14. Schiewer U. Darss-Zingst Boddens, Northern Rügener Boddens and Schlei // Ecology of Baltic coastal waters / Schiewer U. (ED.). Berlin; Heidelberg, 2008. P. 35—85.
molluscs, filtration, estuaries, Baltic Sea
The role of endogenous factor in increase of ocean level for the last 140 years
... events is traced: short-term cycles and major earthquakes in oceanic regions. It was shown that it is possible to estimate the area and amplitude of the seafloor submergence in the epicenter in relation to changes in water volume. Short-term cycles of sea level fluctuations usually coincide with changes in surface layer temperatures in middle latitudes, which could be regarded as a precursor of anomalous climatic conditions in the Northern hemisphere.
Shepherd A., Wingham D.
Recent Sea-Level Contributions of the Antarctic and
Ice Sheets // Science.
Н., Сократов С.
А., Шишков А....
On the benthic foraminifera species of Alabaminella weddellensis and Epistominella exigua in paleo-oceanologic reconstructions
... P. 479—519.
30. Rathburn A. E., Corliss B. H. The ecology of living (stained) deep-sea benthic foraminifera from the Sulu Sea // Paleoceanography. 1994. Vol. 9. P. 87—150.
31. Schlitzer R. Ocean Data View. 2018. URL:
(дата ... .... P. 249—287.
33. Sen Gupta B. K., Lee R. F., May M. S. Upwelling and an unusual assemblage of benthic foraminifera on the northern Florida continental slope // Journal of Paleontology. 1981. Vol. 55, № 4. P. 853—857.
34. Smart C. W. Abyssal NE ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... Eurostat. Science. Technology and Innovation, available at: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/science_technology_innovation/data/main_tables (accessed 4 January 2013).
31. Kivikari, U. 2001. A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region. Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy, Policy Paper, available at: http://www.etela-suomi.fi/english/pdf/kivikari (accessed 15 March 2008).
innovations, innovative capacity, network international cooperation, transborder ...
Kaliningrad region: coastal position as a geographical factor of economic development
... zones in the European Part of Russia: Modern Particularities within the Trend of Cross-Border Clustering // Journal of Applied Economic Sciences. 2017. Vol. 12, iss. 5 (51). P. 1451—1460.
31. Kivikari U. A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region // Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy. Policy Paper, 2001. URL:
(дата обращения: 29.04.2018).
32. Liuhto K. (ed.) The Maritime Cluster in the Baltic Sea Region and Beyond // ...
The Kaliningrad dilemma: a 'development corridor' or a 'double periphery'? The geopolitical factor of the development of the Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea
... Зверев Ю.
М., Корнеевец В.
Россия на Балтике: 1990—2007 годы.
Калининград: Изд-во РГУ им. И. Канта, 2008.
. A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region. Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy. Policy Paper, 2001. URL: http://www.etela-suomi.fi/english/pdf/kivikari (дата обращения: 15.03.2008).
regional strategies, development corridor, geopolitical factor,...
North-West Russia in the context of European integration
... author focuses on the social and cultural integrity of the region and considers the traditional Nordic countries and the Baltic Sea states as interrelated components of a single region, different from other European regions in terms of economic interests,... ... [Selected works in three volumes], Vol. 2, Moscow, p. 572.
7. Shlyamin, А. 2003, Rossija v «Severnom izmerenii» [Russia in the «Northern Dimension»], Petrozavodsk, p. 30.
8. Yadov, V. А. 2009, Sovremennaja teoreticheskaja sociologija [Modern theoretical ...
The Baltics in the Geography of the Largest Transnational Corporations of Europe
... nder “home market” (as is the case with some Swedish companies), “former Soviet Union” (some Russian companies), “Northern Europe and Central Asia,” and even “Middle East and Eastern Europe." Varying understanding of where exactly ... ... perestrojka [Global restructuring], Moscow, p. 53—70.
9. Kuznetsov, A. 2012, Transborder corporate integration in the Baltic Sea Region, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 11—18. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-2.
10. Kuznetsov, A. V., 2004, Mirohozjajstvennye svjazi ...
Development of cross-border tourist and recreational regions on the Karelian section of the Russian-Finnish border
Despite that fact that cross-border tourism and recreation in the Baltic Sea Region have been extensively studied, there are still areas, which require further research. The aim of this article is to ... ... are at the initial stage of their formation and, therefore, can be regarded as parts of one microregion — Russian-Finnish Northern microregion.
Manakov, A. G., Kondrateva, S. V., Terenina, N. K.
cross-border region, tourism, recreation, Republic ...
Project approach in transboundary tourism-and-recreation region building: the case of Karelia
..., no. 1, p. 98-111. doi: 10.1080/15022250.2016.1244598.
26. Sologub, A. P. 2015, Intergovernmental cooperation in the Baltic Sea region: the role of international project activities in the design of the region, V mire nauchnykh otkrytii [In the world ... ... a burden? The case of Karelia, Balt. reg., no. 2, p. 94-111. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2019-2-6.
30. Stepanova, S. V. 2019, The Northern Ladoga region as a prospective tourist destination in the Russian-Finnish borderland: Historical, cultural, ecological ...
Economic Development of the Baltic and Nordic Countries: Characteristics of Еconomic Models
... institutionalism. The authors offer a definition of a ‘successful economic development model’.
1. Antyushina, H. 2007, Countries in northern Europe: knowledge-intensive type of development, Economist, no. 10, p. 29—40. (In Russ.)
2. Auzan, A. A. 2011, Institucionalnaya ... ... Baltiiskogo morya [Status and prospects of trade and economic cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic Sea region], PhD Thes., available at:
default/files/dissertaciya_koroleva.pdf (accessed 21.12.2016)....
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
... A. S., Kuznetsova, T. Yu. 2017, The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region, Balt. Reg., Vol. 9, no. 2, p. 4—18. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2017-2-1.
26. Carriere, F., Pinchemel, P. 1963, Le fait ... ...
29. Harris, C. D. 1970, Cities of the Soviet Union, Chicago, p. 484.
30. Joenniemi, P., Sergunin, A. 2011, Sity-Twinning in Northern Europe: Challenger and Opportunities, Saarbriichen, p.108.
31. Brecker, J. (ed.) 1989, Die Hanse, Hamburg, p.324.
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... Rossii pReview of economy of Russia], no. 4,
22. Kivikari, U. 2001, Treugol'nik rosta v kachestve primera primenenija politiki Severnogo izmerenija v regione Baltijskogo morja: Doklad o politike [Growth Triangle as an example of the Northern Dimension policy in the Baltic Sea Region: Report on Policy], Saint Petersburg, Rossijsko-evropejskij centr po jekonomicheskoj politike [Russian-European center for economic policy].
23. Zverev, Yu. M. 2009, Jekonomicheskaja globalizacija, internacionalizacija proizvodstva i formirovanie ...
Transborder corporate integration in the Baltic Sea Region
... special importance for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Transborder corporate integration in the region is characterized by significant imbalances. In many aspects, it can be viewed as Sweden’s economic expansion or development of domestic markets for northern European companies. Although many German, Polish and Russian companies are involved in corporate integration in the Baltic region, other vectors of their foreign economic relations are still more important for them. As a result, the integration ...
Border Position as a Factor of Strategic and Territorial Planning in Russian Regions in the Baltic
... regional development. Klaipeda, 2010. P. 46—52.
25. Friedmann J. A general theory of polarized development. Ford Foundation. Urban and Regional Development Advisory Program in Chile. 1967.
26. Kivikari U. A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern Dimension Policy in the Baltic Sea Region. Russian-Europe Centre for Economic Policy. Policy Paper. URL: http://www.etela-suomi.fi/english/pdf/kivikari (дата обращения: 01.02.2014).
27. Kivikari U., Lindstrоm M., Lihuto K. The external economics relations of the Kaliningrad ...
The regional approach in the policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia
... Estonia largely depends on Russia’s policy towards the regions which the Russian elite relate Estonia to — the Baltic States, Northern Europe, and Europe as a whole. The results of the study can further the understanding of Russia’s policy towards Estonia ... ... ulichnye besporjadki v stranah Baltijskogo regiona v 2007—2009 gg. [Populism and political participation: the riots in the Baltic Sea region in 2007—2009], Politicheskaja ekspertiza: POLITEKS [Political Expertise: POLITEKS], T. 5, no. 2, p. 209—230.
Latvia in the System of European Territorial Security: a View from the Inside and Outside
... Regionalization and the Theory of International Relations, Tampere, TAPRI, 49 s.
3. Tassinari, F. 2004, Mare Europaeum: Baltic Sea Region Security and Cooperation from Post-Wall to Post-Enlargement Europe, Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, 343 p.
4.... ... Ozaliņa, Ž. 2008, European Security and Defense Policy: The Latvian Perspective. In: Archer, C. (ed.), New Security Issues in Northern Europe: The Nordic and Baltic States and the ESDP, New York, Routledge, p. 115—138.
10. Latvijas Republikas Saeima....