In pursuit of an innovation development trajectory of the Kaliningrad region
Amid growing inter-state competition, national innovation policies are increasingly seeking to promote the development of regional innovation systems to intensify innovative processes and to enhance the economic competitiveness of territories. An efficient regional innovation policy requires a territorial adaptive ...
The innovative process in the Baltic Sea region
In order to maintain its global competitiveness in the future, the Baltic Sea region (BSR) needs to preserve and improve its technological capability and innovativeness. This article focuses on innovations in the Baltic Sea region, particularly on external innovation drivers and innovation environments in the BSR and individual countries within the region. Firstly, some definitions of innovations, innovation ...
Tools for developing and implementing the innovative policy of a region
This article focuses on the tools of development and introduction of innovation policy at the mesolevel, which serves as an integral part of the innovation policy of a state and the driving force of regional competitiveness. The author presents the results of innovative activity ranking of Russian regions, pays attention ...
The methodological bases of comparative evaluation of sci¬entific and technological potential of Russia and the EU: regional and international aspects
This article analyses approaches to the definition of such categories as “scientific and technological potential” and “innovative potential” in view of their resource, structural, procedural and resultant components. The author gives a more accurate definition of the scientific and technological potential through identifying its resources and orientation towards transforming ...
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
... политика: политико-культурный подход к рыночным институтам // Экономическая социология. 2003. № 4 (1). С. 45—63.
11. Ahuja G. Collaboration networks, structural holes, and innovation: A longitudinal study // Administrative Science Quarterly. 2000. № 45 (3). P. 425—455.
12. Barca F., Mccann P., Rodríguez-Pose A. The case for regional development intervention: Place-based versus place-neutral approaches // J. of Regional ...
Innovative development priorities of the major coastal agglomerations of the European part of Russia
The innovation development dynamics of coastal regions is under the growing influence of the agglomeration factor and the coastalization factor, which results in polarizing the innovation space around large cities and urban agglomerations in the coastal zone....
Innovative economy in the Baltic Sea region
Innovative activity is carried out at three levels — those of the state, region and a company or a university. This article considers the level of development of knowledge-based economy in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania,...
Empirical results on Russian companies' innovation activity
Innovation is a vital process for countries striving to evolve and occupy a competitive position in international markets. This paper is based on research designed to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the national innovation system in Russia. The ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
Transnational (involving countries) and cross-border (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here is comparable to that of Poland and the three Baltic States. At the same time, the features of innovative cooperation vary a great deal depending on the group of countries involved in cooperation ...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
To study the key instruments of international cooperation between Russia and the European Union aimed at stimulating innovative development of tourism co-financed by the EU and Russia. The author describes specific projects implemented in the framework of the Lithuania-Poland-Russia cross-border cooperation programme for 2009—2013 in the field of tourism. Special ...
The assessment of research and technical potential in the framework of the innovative model of development of regional economy
This article considers the research and technological potential and the innovative activity in a specific region of Russia — the Kaliningrad region. The authors assess its research and technological potential, and the achieved level of innovative activity in the Kaliningrad region as prerequisites necessary for the implementation ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
This article concerns the role that international cooperation in research, technology, and innovation plays in ensuring innovative development and producing an innovative model of the Russian economy. One of the key objectives of the country’s integration into international research, technological, and innovative space is the development ...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
... european regions: The impact of different forms of proximity on spatial knowledge diffusion // Journal of Economic Geography. 2016. № 16 (3). P. 749—774. doi: 10.1093/jeg/lbv042.
17. Coenen L., Asheim B., Bugge M. M., Herstad S. J. Advancing regional innovation systems: What does evolutionary economic geography bring to the policy table? // Environment and Planning C: Politics and Space. 2017. № 35 (4). P. 600—620. doi: 10.1177/0263774X16646583.
18. Cooke P., Boekholt P., Todtling F. The Governance ...
The research and technology development in Lithuania and the prospects of research and technology cooperation between Lithuania and the Russian Federation
This article focuses on the present state and prospects of research and technology development in Lithuania. The authors focus on the main competitive innovation spheres (information technologies, biotechnologies, special purpose laser technologies) and analyse the principal lines of innovation policy and strategy. The article presents the results of a SWOT analysis of Lithuanian innovation development ...
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
The article aims at analyzing the role of cross-border cooperation in the development of innovation potential of the Baltic Sea Region. The author analyzes the projects in the framework of the Neighborhood Programs implemented in 2000—2006 and related to the development of innovation potential in the Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the ...
Innovation centres as growth points for smaller towns and rural areas
This article addresses the role of innovative centres in the development of surrounding areas beyond large cities. At the same time, the innovative development of rural areas should be of a composite nature; municipality development strategies take innovations into account. International ...
Network Transformations in Economy
... perspective // Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2004. № 29. P. 468—484.
12. Contractor F., Lorange P. Cooperative Strategies in International Business. Lexington, Mass. : Lexington Books, 1988.
13. Cooke P. Enterprise Support Policies in Dynamic European Regions: Policy Implications for Ireland, paper presented at NESC seminar, Sustaining Competitive Advantage, NESC Research Series. March 1998, Dublin.
14. De Bresson C., Amesse F. Networks of innovators: a review and introduction to the issue // Research Policy. 1991. № 20(5). P. 363—379.
15. Dore R. Goodwill and the Spirit of Market Capitalism // British Journal of Sociology. 1983. № 34. P. 459—82.
16. Economides N. The economics ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
... воспроизводство // Этносоциальные проблемы города. М., 1986. С. 1233.
31. Щепаньский Я. Элементарные понятия социологии. М., 1969. С. 116.
32. Adner R. Match your innovation strategy to your innovation ecosystem // Harvard Business Review. 2006. № 84. P. 98—110.
33. Amin A., Thrift N. Globalization, institutional ’thickness’ and the local economy // Managing Cities: The New Urban Context / ed. by P. Healey,...
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
... Information Science And Technology, no. 57(11), p. 1451―1460.
45. Yang, G., Stough, R., Haynes, K. 2008, Spatial and functional clustering: a comparative analysis of the Baltimore and Washington DC metropolitan regions in the US. In: Handbook of Research on Innovation and Clusters: Cases and Policies, Edward Elgar, p. 343―358.
clusters, mesoeconomics, mesoeconomic system, regional development
The prospects of entrepreneurship in the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region
... review of the prospects for the formation of new hi-tech markets in the Baltic Sea region with the participation of small and medium businesses. In view of the essential features of entrepreneurship, its prospects in the development and implementation of innovations seem to be quite attractive. However, in the current economic context, growth requires special measures. The authors analyse the measures taken by the European Union and individual countries in order to strengthen the participation of small ...
Innovation Capacity of Russia and the Baltics: a Comparative Approach
This article considers the possibility of Russian integration into a common research, technological, and innovative space of the Baltic region. The author presents the results of a comparative analysis of innovative development in Russia and the Baltic Sea countries based on the calculation of an integral research and technological potential index for the ...
When and why regional clusters become basic building blocks of modern economy
... landscape. Further, we explain how the innovation capacity of clusters is affected by network synergy effects arising from the triple-helix pattern of collaboration among their participants. Finally, we draw conclusions regarding national cluster supporting policies, including those applied in modern Russia.
Smorodinskaya N. V., Katukov D. D.
innovation clusters, cluster initiatives, collaboration, innovation ecosystems, triple helix model, complex adaptive systems, global value chains
The diagnostics of regional asymmetry of innovative development of small enterprises
The subject of this study is the influence of area factors on the innovation activities of small enterprises. The main theoretical aspects of regional asymmetry of economic development are analyzed. The article presents the author’s method of assessing regional asymmetry of small enterprise innovation development ...
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
... Conference on the Problems of Development of the Economy and Society], Moscow, p. 8.
6. Kotler, Ph., Asplund, K., Rein, I., Hayder, D. 2005, Marketing mest [Marketing places], St. Petersburg, p. 54. (in Russ.)
7. Kotov, A. I. Quality of life as a tool for innovative economic development, Nauchno-tehnicheskie vedomosti SPbGPU. Ekonomicheskie nauki [Scientific and technical statements SPbSPU. Economic sciences], no. 1(211), p. 93—101. (in Rus.)
8. Kulibanova, V. V., Teor, T. R. 2016, Innovative branding ...
Information metabolism and innovation dynamics in the Rostov agglomeration: the role of the coastal factor and economic clustering
The article focuses on the issues of innovative development of coastal agglomerations, as advancement drivers for the regions of Southern Russia, which experience a reduction in contact potential in modern geo-economic conditions that complicates international economic and technological ...
Clusters in the system of economic and innovation development of agriculture in the Rostov Region and the Krasnodar Region
The issue of regional development involves the study of growth drivers in a competitive, innovative and open environment. In these conditions, cluster forms of integration are considered as centers of economic and innovative regional development. The article examines a specialized agro-industrial complex that is developing at the interregional ...
On the models of modern research and education pol-icy in the Baltic region states
This article provides a comparative analysis of the mechanisms of education policies pursued by the governments of Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. The authors identify similarities and differences in the funding mechanisms, direction of reforms, the role of education system modernization in the innovative development of the Baltic Sea region, and the mechanisms of technological development through introducing innovations in education and science. The general education policy trend in these countries shows that most of public investment is allocated ...
Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region
... identifies the factors contributing to the formation of international clusters in the Baltic Sea region.
1. Asheim, B. T., Coenen, L., Moodysson, J. 2009, The Life Science Cluster of Medicon Valley, Scandinavia. In: Jonathan, P., Gabriela, M. Clusters, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Paris, OECD publishing, p. 131—154.
2. Baltic Supply, official website, available at: http://www.balticsupply.eu/ (accessed 17 December 2012).
3. Birkinshaw, J., Solvell, O. 2000, Leading-edge Multinationals and Leadingedge ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... 2013, What kind of entrepreneurship drives regional development in European non-core regions? A literature review on empirical entrepreneurship research, European Planning Studies, no. 21, p. 1095—1127.
12. Doloreux, D., Dionne, S. 2008, Is regional innovation system development possible in peripheral regions? Evidence from the case of La Pocatiere, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, no. 20, p. 259—283.
13. Gardiner, B., Martin, R. L., Tyler, P. 2013, Spatially unbalanced growth in the British ...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... Rossijskoj Federacii. Utv. Minjekonomrazvitija RF ot 26 dekabrja 2008 № 20636-AK/d19 [Guidelines for implementing cluster policies in the Russian Federation.
Approved by Ministry of Economic Development 26 December 2008 number 20636-AK/d19], 2008,... ....5922/2079-8555-2013-1-4.
11. Smorodinskaya, N. V. 2013, Territorial'nye innovacionnye klastery: mirovye orientiry i rossijskie realii [Regional Innovation Clusters: World landmarks and Russian Reality], XIV Aprel'skaja mezhdunarodnaja nauchnaja konferencija «Modernizacija
Cluster policy as a mechanism to increase regional competitiveness
... practice offers a wide range of cluster policies. This article discusses different approaches to classification of cluster policies and emphasizes the advantages of cluster policy for achieving regional strategic goals.
1. Методические ... .... Regional Clusters: What we know and what we should know // Paper prepared for the Kiel Institute International Workshop on Innovation Clusters and Interregional Competition, 2002. P. 18.
8. Sölvell Ö., Lindqvist G., Ketels C. The Cluster ...
Strategic development of a university in the Russian exclave
... organizational pathways of transformation. Paris.
Malizia, E., Feser, E.
2000. Understanding local economic development. New Jersey.
Mohrmana, K., Ma, W., Baker, D.
2008. Higher Education Policy, № 21, pp. 5—27.
Lester, R. K.
Universities, Innovation, and the Competitiveness of Local Economies: A Summary Report from the Local Innovation Systems Project — Phase I. [online] Available at: http://web.mit.edu/lis> [Accessed 5 July 2010]
1993. National Systems of Innovation: ...
The role of brand ecosystem in solving the tasks of hi-tech product marketing
This article analyses an efficient method of interacting with customer, which is aimed at the successful adaptation of innovations. It is noted that, in hi-tech markets, such interaction with all groups of customers can be carried out through a strong brand, whereas special importance is attached to the creation of the brand’s ecosystem, which would make it possible ...
The Baltics on Their Way towards a Circular Economy
... Environmental Management, no. 15, available at:
(accessed 19.12.2016). DOI:
6. Davis, C., Arthurs, D. 2006, What Indicators for Science, Technology and Innovation Policies in the 21st Century, Ottawa, available at:
7. Dobbs, R., Oppenheim, J., Thompson, F., Brinkman, M., Zornes, M. 2011, Resource Revolution: Meeting the World’s Energy, Materials,...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... 2005, Promyshlennye uzly Dal'nego Vostoka [Industrial units of the Far East], Владивосток, 192 p.
15. Pavlov, E. 2013, Tehnoparki — vazhnyj jelement sovremennoj innovacionnoj jekonomiki [Technology parks — an important element of modern innovative economy], Umnoe proizvodstvo [Smart production], no. 21, available at:http://www.umpro.ru (accessed 15.04.2014).
16. Perelygin, Yu., Knyaginin, V. 2007, Prostranstvennoe razvitie Rossii v dolgosrochnoj perspektive [The spatial development ...
East Baltics: Economic Dilemmas of Security
... authors stress that the central component of any national military and economic development is a focus on general national objectives rather than solely military ones. Economically advanced countries integrate defence spending into their investment and innovation strategies and industrial policies. Smaller countries — and the Baltics are no exception — do not apply this principle. Their military spending does not contribute to the technological and economic agenda. The article shows that the military spending of Lithuania, Latvia and ...
On the historical context of innovative development in Russia
... The article addresses the emergence and development of the modernisation idea in Russia. The relevance of this work lies in theidentification of the features of the transition of Russian society into a new phase, which reflects the trends of global innovative processes.
1. Golubovich, А. D., Idrisov, А. B., Inozemtsev, V. L., Titov, B. Yu., Spiegel, М. М. 2009, Vyhod iz krizisa: otkaz ot syr'evoj modeli. Novaja industrializacija [Out of the crisis: the rejection of raw model. new Industrialization],...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
.... Druzhinin, A. G. 2017, The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication, Balt. Reg., Vol. 9, no. 2, p. 28—43.
6. Druzhinin, A. G. 2016 "Marine component" of Russian social geography: traditions and innovations, Izvestiya RAN. Seriya geograficheskaya [Regional Research of Russia], no. 6, p. 7—16. (in Russ.)
7. Slack, B. 1989, The port service industry in an environment of change, Geoforum, Vol. 20, no. 4, p. 447—457.
8. Porter, M. E. 1990, The ...
On the role of government regulation in creating conditions for the development of Russian regions: the case of tariff policy
The elimination of disparities in the economic conditions of regional development is an important task of government regulation. The tariff policy influences the economic development of Russia and different regions. The market incentives for innovation are not sufficiently strong. The rise in prices and tariffs has a negative impact on cost structure and production efficiency. The research conducted shows the degree of variation in the level and dynamics of prices and rates in each region ...
Russian-Estonian relations: a medium-term forecast
Pravo. Mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [Vestnik St. Petersburg University. Series 6],no 3, p. 129—133.
8. Klemeshev, A., Fedorov, G., Zverev, Yu. 2011, On the potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations, Baltic Region,no. 3 (9), p. 88—97. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2011-3-9.
9. Vardomsky, L. B. 2000, Prigranichnyj pojas Rossii: problemy i tendencii razvitija [Border zone of Russia: problems and trends], Rossija i sovremennyj mir [Russia and ...
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
... characteristics of international cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) within the framework of the EU macroregional strategy. The analysis of the key directions, structure, and the Strategy implementation mechanisms demonstrates its experimental and innovative nature. At the same time, the authors identify problems and contradictions in the very idea of the Strategy, as well as its actual implementation in intergovernmental relations of the BSR countries. The main factor hampering the Strategy activities ...
Does corruption influence the sustainability of economic growth?
... advantage of the fundamental economic reform approach is that by linking anticorruption strategies to the reform of economic policies and institutions, the struggle against corruption can be seen as one of the issues in economic policy. Finally, all development ... ... Vol. 37(1), p. 416—430.
7. Hargroves, K., Smith M. (ed). 2005, The Natural Advantage of Nations:
Business Opportunities, Innovation and Governance in the 21st Century.
8. Lackol,M. 2006, Tax Rates with Corruption: Labour-market Effects, Discussion ...
Transformation of global value chains in Russia and the Baltics amid Covid-19: prospects for regionalization and implications for economic policy
... Moving up the global value chain in Latvia, OECD Publishing, Paris, 2017. doi:
11. Klemeshev, A., Fedorov, G., Zverev, Yu. 2011, On the potential and opportunities for cooperation between the Baltics in the field of innovations, Balt. Reg., no. 3, p. 76—84. doi:
12. Veebel, V., Markus, R. 2008, The bust, the boom and the sanctions in trade relations with Russia, Journal of International Studies, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 9—20....
On Sources and Mechanisms of Coastal Area Self-development
... economic policy aimed at the increase in the region’s competitiveness should rest, first of all, on the development of intellectual capital and the corresponding human capital, the revival and strengthening of the economic role of technocracy and small innovative enterprises.
Комплексное регионирование приморских территорий Мирового океана: монография. СПб., 2007.
Opportunities and Challenges of Large Investment Projects in the New Economy: the Port of Ust-Luga
... June 2014.№ 1032-r)], 2008, Moscow.
3. Beysembinova, A. 2012, Problemy investicionnoj dejatel'nosti na osnove gosudarstvenno-chastnogo partnerstva [Problems of investment through public-private
partnerships], Investicii i innovacii [Investments and Innovations], no. 1, p.144—150.
4. Bragina, Z. V., Orlov, V. V., Andreeva, N. Yu. 2011, Gosudarstvenno-chastnoe partnerstvo: mehanizmy razvitija [Public-private partnership: the development of mechanisms], Kostroma, 186 p.
5. Byrkova, Ye. Gruzooborot ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... Ustojchivoe razvitie regiona: innovacii, jekonomicheskaja bezopasnost', konkurentosposobnost' [Sustainable development
of the region: innovation, economic security, competitiveness], Jekonomika regiona [The region's economy], no. 3, p. 68—77.
12. Voloshenko,... ... no. 2, p. 4—12. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2010-2-1.
24. Shastitko A. 2009, Competitiveness of the region: content, factors, policies, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 10—25. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2009-1-2.
25. Boschma, R. 2004, Competitiveness of Regions from ...
The potential of structural changes in the economy of the Kaliningrad region
The issue of structural policy in the Kaliningrad region remains pressing. Russia’s commitment to modernisation based on innovative development, overcoming the dependence on raw materials, and the current crisis phenomena require a transformation of the structure of region’s economy.
An effective structural policy requires assessing the structural transfor-mation potential,...
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... 19. Kuznetsova, O. A. 2013, Piramida faktorov social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija regionov [Piramida of factors of social and economic development of regions],Voprosy economiki [Questions of economy], no. 2, p. 121—131.
20. Fedorov, G. M. 2013, Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU, Baltic region, no. 1 (15), p. 4—18. doi:10.5922/2079-8555-2013-1-1.
21. Kivikari, U. 2000, Rasshirenie Evropejskogo Sojuza i Rossija — situacija vzaimnoj vygody ...
Organisation of scientific research in Germany
... Excellence Initiative and describes the contribution of production in research and development activities, focusing on the top ten German companies in terms of R&D expenditure.
1. Davydov, А. А. Innovacionnyj potencial Rossii: nastojawee i buduwee [Innovation potential of Russia: Present and Future], Institut sociologii Rossijskoj akademii nauk [Institute of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences], available at:
http://www.isras.ru/blog_modern_3.html (accessed 14 May 2012).
2. Velikolepnaja ...
The position of international community on the restoration of independence of the Baltic States
... countries and the Baltic States. The materials and conclusions of this article can be used for further research on the foreign policies of the USA, Germany, the USSR, and the Baltic republics. In the process of the Baltics gaining their independence, western ... ... the western Baltic States], Baden-Baden, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 272 S.
15. Khudolei, К., Novikova, I., Lanko, D. 2010, Innovative education for the Baltic region: the experience of the Finnish-Russian Cross-border University, Baltic region, no. ...