The development of political geography and geopolitics as an academic and research discipline in the Baltic region: the historical contribution of Saint Petersburg University
... and the corresponding academic disciplines, as well as the first concepts of political geography and geopolitics, emerged in the Baltic. The Russian and German schools of thought made a valuable contribution to these fields of research. Using the historical, structural-genetic, and activity-geospace approaches, we identify and analyse the major historical, research, and academic paradigms in the development of political geography. In doing so, we consider the case of Saint Petersburg University....
Cultural and landscape zoning in the North- West Russia
... article considers the problems of geographical study of cultural landscapes of the North-West Russia, which includes Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad, Novgorod, Pskov, and Kaliningrad regions. This article sets out to develop and test the methodology for historical and cultural zoning at the mesogeographical level. The research and practical significance of the work lies in the identification of the features of formation of cultural landscapes in the North-West Russia, which can be used for the development ...
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
... Paris, p.346.
27. Eurostat, available at:
28. George, P. 1960, Question de geographie de la population, Paris, p.229.
29. Harris, C. D. 1970, Cities of the Soviet Union, Chicago, p. 484.
30. Joenniemi,... ...
40. Union of the Baltic cities, available at: http//
Hodachek V. M., Shamakhov V. A.
historical town, Russia’s North-west, tourism and recreation potential, development factors, typology
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... The author examines the conditions and prospects for the formation of marine cross-border clusters in the key segments of Russia’s coastal zone.
1. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki [The Civilization and the great historical rivers], 362 p.
2. Shokal'skiy, Yu. M. 1924, Sever SSSR i ego znachenie dlya Respubliki [North of the USSR and its importance for the Republic], Izvestiya Gosudarstvennogo geograficheskogo obshchestva, T. 56, P. 154—161.
Changes in the cultural landscape of the Kaliningrad region’s periphery in the 19th/20th centuries
... landscape science], Moscow, 224 p.
21. Saushkin, Yu. G. 1946, Kul'turnyj landshaft [Cultural landscape], Voprosy geografii [Geography Questions], no. 1, p. 97—106.
22. Yatsunsky, V. K. 1941, Predmet i zadachi istoricheskoj geografii [Subject and historical geography tasks], Istorik-marksist [Marxist historian], no. 5, p. 20—25.
23. Bachor, O. 1968, Der Kreis Gerdauen, Würzburg.
24. Barran, F. R. 1988, Städte-Atlas Ostpreußen, Leer, 223 S.
25. Diercke-Wörterbuch Allgemeine Geographie, 1997, Verlag Westermann.
26. Eisenbahn Kurier Special, 1999, no. 52, Ostpreußen.
27. Grabo, R. 1910, Die ostpreußische Strassen im 18. und 19. Jahrhundert, Königsberg, 124 S.
28. Gusovius, P. 1966, Der Landkreis Samland, Würzburg.
Changes in the ethnic composition of the population of North- West Russia in the 18th -19th centuries
The launch of the ‘Historical Geography of Russia’ project in Russia’s larger historical and geographical regions necessitated the development of new research methods and the evaluation of traditional ones. The article considers the use of the time slicing method in ...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
The agricultural land dynamics is one of the central issues of land use in Europe and Russia. Each historical period is characterized by its own model of agricultural land use. The analysis of its dynamics in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries was based on the following parameters: the area of cultivated agricultural land and the rate ...
Social and Economic Space Compression in Border Areas: the Case of the Northwestern Federal District
....ca/onris/research_review/WorkingPapers/WorkingDOCS/Working01/Morgan01_Death.pdf (accessed 11.03.2015).
34. Rodrigue, J. P., Comtois, C., Slack, B. 2009, The Geography of transport systems, New York, Routledge, 352 p.
35. Warf, B. 2008, Time Space Compression: Historical Geographies, NY, Routledge.
36. Warf, B. 2011, Teaching Time-Space Compression, Journal of Geography in Higher Education, no. 35(2), p. 143—161.
37. Federal State Statistics Service, available at: http://www.gks.ru/ (accessed 11.02.2015).
38. The ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... Lymarev, V. I. 1986, Morskie berega i chelovek [Sea coast and people], Moscow. (In Russ.)
17. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki. Geograficheskaya teoriya razvitiya sovremennykh obshchestv [Civilization and the great historical rivers. Geographic theory of the development of modern societies], St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
18. Mikhailov, A. S. 2014, Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region, Balt. Reg., Vol. 6, no. 1, p. 113—123. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-1-10....
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century, 2014, Balt. Reg., Vol 6, no. 4, p. 50—66. DOI: 10.5922/2074-2079-8555-4-4.
8. Mechnikov, L. I. 1995, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki [Civilization and the great historical rivers], Moscow, 461 p. (In Russ.)
9. Brodel, F. 2006, Material'naya tsivilizatsiya, ekonomika i kapitalizm, XV—XVIII vv. T. 2. Igry obmena [Material civilization, economy and capitalism, XV—XVIII centuries. T. 2. Exchange games.], Moscow,...
The role of the river Rhine in the formation of spatial structure of the economy of European countries (1st century BC — 19th century AD)
This article considers the main historical stages of formation of spatial economic structure of the European countries, parts of whose territories lie within the Rhine basin. The analysis covers a protracted chronological interval from the Roman colonization until the beginning of the ...
The concepts of enclave and exclave and their use in the political and geographical characteristic of the Kaliningrad region
... objects of political geography; at the same time, their new categories and divisions (international enclave, overseas exclaves, internal enclaves of different levels) are extended and introduced. The author offers a new classification of contemporary and historical enclaves and exclaves. The article identifies the specific features of the Kaliningrad region in comparison to other enclave territories. The difference between the exclavity of the Kaliningrad region in the Soviet and post-Soviet periods is ...
The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity
This article considers spatial and temporal diffusion of Christian values in Sweden and examines the features of the country’s confessional space. The work aims to identify historical and geographical characteristics of the formation of Sweden’s Christian space and of its current transformation. Another objective is to introduce data on the economic activities of large religious organisations into scholarly use. The relevance ...
Geography of European Migration
... study shows that European countries are increasingly split into ‘immigrant’ and ‘emigrant’ states. The authors describe spatial patterns of migration. The volume and localisation of migration flows in Europe are affected not only by cultural and historical circumstance, such as a colonial past or a common language. The scale of immigrant influx often does not depend on a donor country’s demographic potential or the level of its socio-economic development. The links between the place of origin ...
Lutheranism in Finland: past and present
The article focuses on the spatial and temporal differentiation of Lutheranism in Finland. The study aims to identify historical and geographical features of the development of Lutheran space in Finland, as well as modern trends in its transformation. This study is very relevant, since Lutheranism is currently the major confession in Finland and religion tends to strongly ...
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
... the socioeconomic development of a territory. They give estimates for tourism revenues associated with the emergence of a new attraction and its inclusion into travel itineraries and landmark maps. The authors look at the experience of development of historical European towns from the perspective of tourist attractiveness and explore the role of architectural landscape in creating a positive image of a town for tourists; they also provide a background for including historical and cultural landmarks ...
The effect of railway network evolution on the Kaliningrad region’s landscape environment
... cultural landscapes. The study of cartographic materials and historiography made it possible to identify the main stages of the development of the Kaliningrad railway network in terms of its territorial scope and to describe causes of the observed changes. Historically, changes in the political, economic, and military environment were key factors behind the development of the Kaliningrad railway network. Nature was less important. The existing Kaliningrad railway network is to a great degree the legacy ...
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
... anthropogenic impact in spatial and temporal aspects. In practical terms, this study demonstrates the possibility of introducing environmental approaches into the system of regional spatial planning in view of the geoecological, economic, geographical, and historical factors. The key result of this study is the preparation of cartographic documents describing changes in landscape vulnerability of the Kaliningrad region. These documents serve as the basis for proposals aimed at optimising the regional nature ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
5. Reid S. Canada Remapped: how the partition Quebec will reshape the nation. Vancouver, 1992.
6. Smith B. The Cognitive Geometry of War // Current Issues in Political Philosophy. Vienna, 1997. P. 394—403.
7. Whyte B. Waiting for the Esquimo: an historical and documentary study of the Cooch Behar enclaves of India and Bangladesh : PhD thesis // Research Paper. № 8. School of Anthropology, Geography and Environmental Studies. Melbourne, 2002.
8. Whyte B. Bordering on the Ridiculous? A Comparison ...
Geodemography of the Saint Petersburg Suburbs
In this article, we analyse the structure and the development dynamics of the Saint Petersburg suburbs — home to over 1.6 million people. To this end, we employ statistical, historical, and empirical research methods and carry out a comparative analysis. Geodemographic studies should take into account not only demographic data but also the characteristics of the settlement system. Such studies are particularly important for ...
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
... the processes of modernization, which occur at different rates in Russian and national regions. Based on the 2010 census data, the article analyses the differences in polyethnicity between the rural and urban population, which are accounted for by the historical background, particularities of regional development, settlement features, and migration processes of the past two decades.
1. Belozerov, V. S. 2005, Jetnicheskaja karta Severnogo Kavkaza [Ethnic map of the North Caucasus], Moscow.
Russia’s North-West Borders: Tourism Resource Potential
Being an area of development of Russia’s northwest border regions, tourism requires the extending of border regions’ appeal. A unique resource of the northwestern border regions are the current and historical state borders and border facilities. Successful international experience of creating and developing tourist attractions and destinations using the unique geographical position of sites and territories may help to unlock the potential of Russia’s ...
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
This article examines the development of tourism and recreation in the border regions of Russia’s North-West as a new promising area of regional growth. The unique natural, historical, and cultural resources, nature, and a favourable economic and geographical position are basic prerequisites for the development of tourism in the region. Historically, the barriers of state borders hampered the development of tourism; and ...
Cultural landscape system zoning of the European part of Russia
... культурного наследия Нижегородского Поволжья : автореф. дис. … канд. геогр. наук. Н. Новгород, 2006.
cultural landscape, cultural landscape systems, cultural landscape zoning, historical and cultural zoning, ethnology, European Russia, regions.
Eurasian Future of Russia: Alternating Integration and Disintegration Cycles
... knowledge economy], Moscow, 544 p. (In Russ.)
8. Sintserov, L. M. 2000, Long waves of global integration,
Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya
, no. 5, p. 56—64. (In Russ.)
9. Uralo-Kuzbas, 2009. In:
Istoricheskaya entsiklopediya Sibiri
[Historical encyclopedia of Siberia], T. 3, Novosibirsk, Ist. Naslediye Sibiri. (In Russ.)
10. Gusein-Zade, S. M., Tikunov, V. S. 2015,
Visualisation in noneuclidean metrics,
Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 213 p.
Shuper Vjacheslav A....
Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project
... At the same time, the author advances and proves the thesis that various ‘Baltic/Black Sea’ cooperation models aimed at isolating Russia act against the interests of all participants of the political process. A number of meth¬ods, including the historical and structural functional analyses and the system ap¬proach are used in the study. The central hypothesis is that, as a political project, Intermarium reflects an important part of the systemic features of Eastern Europe as a political region....
Spatial and dynamic approach in the study of rural settlement in the Pskov region from 1862 to 1926
27. Яцунский В. К. Историческая география как научная дисциплина // Вопросы географии. 1950. Сб. 20. С. 13—41.
the Pskov region, spatial-dynamic approach, historical geography, settlement
Hybrid texts as a form of interaction between avant-garde artistic and political discourses
... 1909 to the Present. New York.
Heibach, Ch., 2011. Avant-garde theater as total artwork? Media-theoretical reflections on the historical development of performing art forms. In: A.K Finger and D. Follett, eds. The aesthetics of the total artwork: on borders ... ... Studies of Science Education, 7(3), pp. 505—534.
Kochnitzky, L., 1921. Fiume et son Prophète. Le Flambeau, 1.
Kramer, A., 2018. Geographies of Futurism: Mapping the First Avant-Garde. In: J. London, ed. One Hundred Years of Futurism: Aesthetics, Politics,...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
... cooperation in the Baltic region], thesis abstract, Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant State University of Russia.
10. Haggett, P. 1979, Prostranstvennaja diffuzija — put' k slijaniju rajonov. Geografija: sintez sovremennyh znanij [Spatial Diffusion: An Historical Geography of Epidemics in an Island Community], Moscow, Progress, p. 340—366.
11. Schumpeter, I. 1934, The theory of economic development, Cambrige, Mass., Harvard University Press.
12. Gelbman, A. Timothy, D. J. 2010, From hostile boundaries ...
Borders and Identity in Theory and Practice of the Eastern Baltic Region
... author believes that the key reason behind the current crisis in Russia-EU relations is the conspicuous neglect of Russian interests in the neighboring countries that formed after the disintegration of the USSR. However, escalation of the conflict was historically and geographically predetermined. The political borders of post-Soviet states do not coincide with the ethnic ones and, therefore, the attempts to consolidate states through ethnic mobilization meet corresponding resistance from groups with ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... regionalisation. Current trends in the development of the Baltic region, whose academic analysis is impossible without considering earlier cases of successful interactions between the peoples of the Baltic Sea region, necessitate political, economic, and historical research on the strengths and weaknesses of the Hanseatic League. Unfortunately, in the 21st century, the Baltic region turned into a stage for geopolitical controversies. This took a toll on the efficiency of cooperation between the cities ...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... 29, available at: https://www.pism.pl/files/?id_plik=15092 (accessed 23.04.2015).
7. Kretinin, G., Ostashkova, Т. 2012, Maloe prigranichnoe peredvizhenie kak predmet istoricheskogo issledovanija i sovremennost' [Small border traffic as a subject of historical research and the Present], ActahumanitaricainversitatisSaulensis, T.14, p. 314-321, available at: http://www.su.lt/bylos/mokslo_leidiniai/acta/2012_14/kretinin_ostaskova.pdf (accessed 12.05.2015).
8. Kretinin, G., Mironyuk, D. 2014, Local ...