Motivations of Russian firms to invest abroad: how do sanctions affect Russia’s outward foreign direct investment?
In 2013, Russia’s outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) soared and the OFDI stock exceeded $ 500 billion. However, a year later, Russia’s OFDI dropped by nearly 15 per cent. Rapid upward and downward swings make it necessary to analyze the motivation of Russian firms to invest abroad as ...
The organisational and economic mechanism for attracting direct foreign investment at the regional level
This article considers the aspects of foreign investment in the region on the basis of a study into the dynamics of foreign direct investment (FDI) and their role in regional economy. The author proposes a model of regional development concept based on FDI attraction.
1. Официальный сайт Правительства Калининградской области. URL: ...
Legal guarantees for international investment according to the legislation of the Russian Federation
... mirovoj opyt (sravnitel'no-pravovoj kommentarij) [Foreign investment: Russia and the international experience (comparative legal comment)], Moscow.
15. Silkin,V. V. 2003, Prjamye inostrannye investicii v Rossii: pravovye formy privlechenija i zawity [Foreign direct investment in Russia: legal forms to attract and protect], Moscow.
investment activity, legal guarantees, foreign investment, national regime, safeguard clause
Framework for the Analysis of Geography of Transnational Corporations Investments Abroad
This article develops a methodology for studying the geography of companies — an area of human geography that remains understudied in Russia. The authors refer to foreign direct investment (FDI) studies to stress the importance of analysing individual transnational corporations. Special attention is paid to FDI statistics, including international statistics provided by IMF, OECD, and UNCTAD, the official data of central banks ...
Foreign direct investment in North-West Russia
This article considers the socioeconomic characteristics of foreign direct investment and identifies the features of investment activities with foreign capital participation in the exclave region. The author analyses the dynamics of foreign direct investment inflow to the regions of North-West Russia and the industries preferred ...
Transborder corporate integration in the Baltic Sea Region
The paper examines flows of foreign direct investment within the Baltic region. The author demonstrates close investment ties among the EU members, which are of special importance for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Transborder corporate integration in the region is characterized by significant ...
Foreign nationals on the Boards of Directors of Russia’s Ten Largest Non-Financial Companies Investing Overseas
. (accessed 13.02.2017).
3. Foreign Currency Market, Central Bank of Russia, available at:
4. Foreign direct investment, UNCTADstat, available at:
5. Average annual Brent crude oil price from 1976 to 2017 (in U. S. dollars per barrel), Statista, available at:
Country Competitiveness: an Empirical Study
... research, using IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook data for 55 countries in the estimation sample. This unique research applies a Multinomial Logistic procedure, and a Heckman Two-Step procedure in its accountancy for market size, exports, openness, and foreign direct investment. The business environment factors for estimation are highlighted. Also, several macro-economic modifications of the basic model specification are tested, providing further empirical analysis. Results indicate that the ten most competitive countries ...
The Belarus Business Environment as Assessed by the Management of Leading Finnish Companies Operating in the Country
... (accessed 12.09.2014).
10. Ministry of the Economy of the Republic of Belarus, 2013, Revera Consulting Group, Doing Business in Belarus, available at: http://www.economy.gov.by/dadvfiles/001713_783132_Doing_Business_ENG.pdf (accessed 12.08.2014).
11. Foreign direct investments, National Bank of the Republic of Belarus, vailable at: http://www.nbrb.by/engl/statistics/ForeignDirectInvestments/ (accessed 22.09.2014).
12. Pearce, J. A., Robinson, R. B. 1994, Strategic Management, Chicago.
13. Opros “Delovoy klimat ...
Minimising Investment Risks Through Optimising Public-Private Partnership: The Case of the Kaliningrad Region
... PPP projects in the region.
1. The plenary session of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, 2016, Official site of the Russian President, available at
(accessed 29.06.2016). (in Russ.)
2. Foreign direct investment in Russia collapsed by 92 % in 2015, 2016, Interfax, available at
. ru/business/490758 (accessed 29.03.2016). (in Russ.)
3. Baranovskaya, E. A. 2013, Creating a competitive investment climate in Russia as a basis for upgrading: ...
On Russian/Nordic Investment Competition in the Baltic States
... that most of the Baltic market is controlled by the Nordic capital, which blocks the arrival of Russian investment to the Baltic States. With a nod to a number of previous studies, the authors of this article suggest some adjustments to the theory of foreign direct investment. The study will be also of practical interest to those Russian investors who are seeking entry points to the Baltic markets.
1. Kuznetsov, А. V. 2007, Internacionalizacija rossijskoj jekonomiki [The internationalization of the Russian economy],...
The influence of the transport factor on the investment competitiveness of coastal regions in the European part of Russia.
... and geographical research methods, the authors come to the conclusion that result-wise the regions under study are heterogeneous.
Gumenyuk I. S., Samusenko D. N.
coastal regions, European Russia, factors of regional development, transport system, foreign direct investment
Russian-Estonian Economic and Investment Cooperation During the Crisis: Dynamics and Possibilities
....ee/579642/tiit-vahipronkssoduri-hind-oli-eestile-8-miljardit-krooni-aastas (accessed 23.11.2014).
21. Tüür, K. 2012, Russia and Estonia, In: K. Tüür, V. Morozov (eds.) Russian Federation 2013: Short-Term Prognosis, p. 123—126.
Russia, Estonia, economic cooperation, trade balance, foreign direct investments, sanctions, competition among jurisdictions
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... a set of tasks of the strategic development of the North-West of the Russian Federation], Pskovskij regionologicheskij zhurnal [Pskov regional Journal], no. 12, p. 3—9.
4. Kuznetsov, А. 2008, Prjamye inostrannye investicii: «jeffekt sosedstva» [Foreign direct investment, "neighborhood effect"], Mirovaja jekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnoshenija [World Economy and International Relations], no. 9, p. 40—47.
5. Lexin, V. N., Shevtsov, A. N. 2000, Gosudarstvo i regiony. Teorija i praktika gosudarstvennogo ...
The Baltic Sea region and increasing international tension
... Web-site, available at: http://en.bfsu.edu.cn/index.php?s=/Home/ article/index/category/UndergraduateProgrammes (accessed 21.01.2016).
24. Liuhto, K. 2015. Motivations of Russian firms to invest abroad: how do sanctions affect Russia’s outward foreign direct investment? Baltiс region, no. 4, p. 19—20. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-4-1.
Baltic Sea Region, Russia, European Union, NATO, regional cooperation
Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives
....kremlin.ru/text/docs/2008/07/204108.shtml (accessed 03.04.2014).
23. Koncepcija vneshnej politiki Rossijskoj Federacii [The Foreign Policy Concept of the Russian Federation], 2013, available at: http://www.scrf.gov.ru/documents/2/25.html (accessed 03.04.2014).
24. Olenchenko, V. 2012, Vetry Baltiki [Winds Baltic], Prjamye investicii [Direct investment], no. 8 (124), p. 20.
25. Maksimychev, I. F. 2013, Pribaltika: nepredvzjatyj vzgljad istorika [Baltics: an unbiased ...
The Baltics in the Geography of the Largest Transnational Corporations of Europe
... 2003, Osobennosti shvejcarskoj predprinimatel'skoj modeli [Features Swiss business model], Sovremennaja Evropa [Modern Europe], no. 1, p. 60—69.
Baltic Sea States, transnational corporation, geographical segment, borders of Europe, foreign direct investment
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
..., p. 72—81. doi:
20. Chetverikova, A. S. 2020, Evolution of the Investment Cooperation between the Countries of the Visegrad Group and Russia. Sovremennaya Evropa [Contemporary Europe], no. ... ... Moscow, Eslan, p. 115—120 (In Russ.).
53. Pilipenko, I. V. 2018, The dynamics of economic development and the evolution of main foreign trade directions of post-Soviet republics, Ekonomika i upravlenie: problemy, resheniya [Economy and Governance: Problems, Solutions],...