Evaluating and Measuring the Security of Russia’s Border Regions: Theory and Practice
The economic security of Russia’s regions has been the focus of numerous studies. Significant contributions have been made to relevant methodological approaches and measurement tools. However, economic security has been little studied in the context of border regions....
On the economic security of Russia’s Kaliningrad exclave
An exclave position makes the economic security problems of the Kaliningrad region more complex as compared with other Russian territories. Deteriorating relations between Russia and the West compound the situation. This has been especially so since 2014 when economic sanctions were imposed ...
Some Aspects of Economic Security of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region under Conditions of Geo-Economic Uncertaint
In this article, I consider individual aspects of the economic security of Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad Region amid the geo-economic uncertainty observed since 2014. The object of the study is the economic and technological sustainability of Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad Region given geo-economic risks ...
Economic security of the Russian-Ukrainian border regions of the Russian Federation in modern conditions
The article is devoted to the urgent problem of economic security of the Russian border regions, directly adjacent to Ukraine: Kursk, Belgorod, Voronezh, Rostov and Krasnodar regions. The study is going to assess the level of economic security in these regions, as well as its dynamics after 2014, taking into ...
Network modelling of economic security organisation in the coastal regions
This article addresses the problem of economic security organization in the coastal region of Russia. The authors offer a network model of the process as a tool of effective management
Сетевое программирование развития приморских ...
Uneven development of administrative-territorial entities as a threat to the economic security of the Kaliningrad region
The author considers topical issues of ensuring the economic security of the Kaliningrad region. The main indicators of economic development that affect the current state of economic security of the exclave region are identified and analyzed.
1. Об утверждении перечней субъектов Российской ...
Energy security in the scientific and institutional discourse in Russia and Poland: problems and solutions
... на период до 2030 года, утверждена распоряжением Правительства Российской Федерации от 13 ноября 2009 г. № 1715-р.
13. Competition, International Investment and Energy Security / Investment Division, Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs / Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. Paris, 13.12.2007. URL:
(дата обращения: 31.07.2016).
14. Energy Supply Security: Emergency Response of IEA Countries 2014. P., 2014.
On ensuring the energy security of the Kaliningrad region
This article analyses possibilities for minimising energy threats to the economy of the Kaliningrad region — an isolated Russian exclave. The au-thors consider the key aspects of the region’s economic security, identify threats, and provide a critical assessment different solutions to this problems. The research is based on the data of Rosstat and international statistics (IEA), analytical materials, and publications on the problems of global and regional ...
The Baltic Sea Region and the Black Sea Area: Two Pieces of the Same Puzzle
... by internal political and economic dynamics and by external actors. The aim of this research is to analyse the political and economic factors that influence the cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the Black Sea area by means of comparative approach,... ... Parliament,
Synergy. A new regional cooperation initiative.
COM(2007) 160 final. 2007,
Building security in
’s new borderlands, Subregional cooperation in the wider Europe,
, 1999 ...
Economic security of a border region: quantitative and qualitative measurements (the case of the Rostov region)
The article evaluates the economic security of the Rostov region, a western border region of Russia under the conditions of geoeconomic turbulence. Using complementary methods of the economic-statistical analysis of dynamic series and expert interviewing, the author describes multidimensional ...
A classification of objects of economic security studies
This article stresses the insufficient amount of scientific knowledge on the object of economic security studies. Therefore, there is a need for an in-depth analysis of the key component of economic security — its object of study. The article presents a classification of objects of economic security studies.
1. Государственная ...
Forecasting Actions of Baltic elites: A Scenario Approach
22. Paul, T. V., Larson, D., Wohlforth, W. (eds.), 2014, Status in World Politics, Cambridge University Press.
23. Stiller, S., Wedemeier, J. 2011, The Future of the Baltic Sea Region: Potentials and challenges, Hamburg Institute of International Economics.
24. Tanner, A. 1995, Baltic Sea: Security Tomorrow — Three Future Scenarios, Brussels, Boston University.
25. The 2015 Ageing Report, 2015, European Economy series, no. 3, Luxembourg, Publications Office of the European Union.
26. Trends and Scenarios Exemplifying the Future of the ...
Economic and geopolitical aspects of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline
... Russia in the Baltic region. The need to ensure the reliable operation of gas supply infrastructure makes any military conflict in the region impossible.
Zhiznin S. Z., Timokhov V. M.
Nord Stream 1, Nord Stream 2, third energy package, energy security, gas pipeline, NS 1, NS 2, geopolitical and economic factors
Russian energy diplomacy and international energy security (geopolitics and economics)
This article considers national energy security as a component of foreign policy and diplomacy and analyses the current state of Russian energy policy, the role of Russia in global energy geopolitics and the factors affecting it. The author examines energy diplomacy as an instrument of foreign ...
Global energy and environmental security in the current global economic crisis
... of all states. The long-term one is based on the gradual expansion of renewable energy. This method is aimed to avoid further economic and energy crises. At the same time, it has an important environmental aspect. Experts claim that the new area of global ... ...
The Venezuelan Oil Crisis. How to Secure American Energy // Foreign
Affairs. 2004. Vol. 83
of the leaders the major economies ...
Foreign lobbying as an instrument of defense cooperation between Poland and the United States
... affects the security agenda of Russia, the Baltic region, and Europe as a whole. On the one hand, Poland intends to become a key partner of the US in ensuring European security. On the other hand, it has ambitions to take the leading position in the security area among the Baltic States. The Polish leadership sees an additional advantage in expanding military cooperation with the United States, regarding it as a jumping board to accelerating its economic and technological development. This article examines a mechanism underlying defence cooperation between the US and Poland, i.e. lobbying Poland’s interests in another state. This allows Warsaw to actively promote its interests in the US. The ...
Innovative security of the region: the problem of the formation of the innovation environment of the Kaliningrad region
... P., Malmberg А. The competitiveness of firms and regions. «Ubiquitification » and the importance of localized learning // European Urban and Regional Studies. 1999. № 6. P. 9—25.
29. Mikhaylova A. A., Mikhaylov A. S. Instruments of Innovation Security // International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues. 2015. № 5(2). P. 128—135.
30. Morgan K. The learning region: institutions, innovation and regional renewal // Regional Studies. 1997. № 31 (5). P. 491—503.
31. Moulaert F., Sekia F. Territorial Innovation Models: ...
Regional innovation security as a coherence of multi-cyclic self-organizing: experience in building an ideal model
... share in GRP (characterizing the innovation subcycle) and the ratio of investment to GRP (characterizing the investment and production subcycle). The results obtained made it possible to typologize the Western border regions according to the level of economic security in its cyclical aspect.
1. Базуева Е. В. Социальный цикл как результат трансформации производственной структуры социально-экономической системы ...
The development of science as a factor in the Kaliningrad region innovative security
...., Mikhaylov A. S. Antecedents and Barriers to the Formation of Regional Innovation System: Case Study of the Kaliningrad Region // Modern Applied Science. 2015. № 9(2). P. 178—187.
28. Mikhaylova A. A., Mikhaylov A. S. Instruments of Innovation Security // International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues. 2015. № 5(2). P. 128—135.
29. Scopus. Elsevier B. V. URL:
(дата обращения: 02.03.2016).
Mikhaylova A. A.
innovation security, science, innovation, region, regional innovation ...
The Eurasian Economic Community in the global energy system
международных договоров, норм и стандартов. 2007 /
ЕЭК ООН. Нью-Йорк; Женева, 2007. С. 13.
Mishalchenko Yuri, Toropygin Andrei
energy security, energy producers, energy consumers, international organizations, European Union, the Eurasian Economic Community
East Baltics: Economic Dilemmas of Security
This article considers military security in the Eastern Baltic. The research focuses on the economic sustainability of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania in the context of military spending. The authors maintain that an increase in military spending can either strengthen or weaken national economic and technological potential. In Germany or Sweden,...
Spatial structure and development of settlements in the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... agglomeration includes a core, a population growth area (‘growth belt’), commuting sources and recipients, and ‘backbone centres’.
1. Fedorov, G.M. (ed.). 2019, Problemy ekonomicheskoi bezopasnosti regionov zapadnogo porubezh’ya Rossii [Problems of economic security of the regions of the western border of Russia], Kaliningrad, 267 p. (in Russ.).
2. Lachininskii, S.S. 2018, Some aspects of economic security of Saint- Petersburg and the Leningrad region under conditions of geoeconomic uncertaint, Balt. Reg....
Coalition Within a Coalition: The Baltics in the European Union
11. Olson, M. 1982, The rise and decline of nations: Economic growth, stagflation and social rigidities, New Haven, CT, 273 p.
12. Olson, M., Zeckhauser, R. 1966, An economic theory of alliances, Review of Economic Statistics, Vol. 48, no. 3, p. 266—279.
13. Pluemper, T., Neumayer, E. 2015, Free-riding in alliances: Testing an old theory with a new method, Conflict Management and Peace Science, Vol. 32, no. 3, p. 247—268.
14. Chalmers, M. 2000, Sharing Security. The Political Economy of Burden-sharing, UK.
15. Han, D., Kirchner, E., Sperling, J. 2009, Sharing the Burden of Collective Security in the European Union, International Organization, Vol. 63, no. 4, p. 789—810.
16. Pastore, G. 2013, Small ...
Ethno-confessional immigrant ghettos as a national security problem in Denmark’s social and political discourse
... democratic values of Danish society guide the actions of ghetto residents. Danish social and political discourse pictures this ideological difference between the host society and Muslim immigrant minorities as a potential threat to Denmark’s national security caused by a combination of political, social, and economic factors. The ensuing social disunity and violation of the country’s territorial integrity take the problem to a regional and international level. Through analysing public speeches of Danish social and political actors, this article reconstructs ...
Economic and Demographic Security
Geographical structure and dynamics of foreign trade relations of the Republic of Crimea with the border countries and economic security issues
The status of the Republic of Crimea as a new border region of Russia prioritizes the study of the region's foreign economic relations. The article focuses on general and particular foreign trade indicators of the Republic of Crimea while ensuring economic security of the region. The author analyzes the features of the post-Soviet export-import operations dynamics in the Crimean border region considering the changes in the scale of foreign trade after the reunification of the Crimea with the Russian Federation....
On digitalization of the Kaliningrad region as an economic security element
... are the basis for innovation. However, accelerated digitalization, as well as slowed down, carries a significant number of economic, social, political, cultural, and other threats that can be partially mitigated by creating favorable basic conditions ... ... companies and the level of their internal digitalization, the development of e-commerce and digital networks, information security. The research is carried out in the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation in 2010—2018. The results of the study ...
The improvement of law enforcement activities in the field of environmental security in Russia
The article stresses that, in the modern world, economic activities have a significant negative effect on environmental security. The human impact on the environment is a result of gross violations of environmental laws. The law enforcement measures introduced in the field of environmental pollution often prove to be ineffective. The complications associated with identifying ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... [Bulletin of Tomsk State University], no. 356, p. 135—139.
11. Mingaleva, Zh. А., Gershanok, G. А. 2012, Ustojchivoe razvitie regiona: innovacii, jekonomicheskaja bezopasnost', konkurentosposobnost' [Sustainable development
of the region: innovation, economic security, competitiveness], Jekonomika regiona [The region's economy], no. 3, p. 68—77.
12. Voloshenko, K. Yu., Gimbitsky, K. K., Kuznetsova, A. L., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, Modelirovanie regional'noj sistemy dolgosrochnoj ustojchivosti Kaliningradskoj ...
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
... provide a historical overview of cooperation in this area and consider problems and prospects of visa liberalization from the economic, legal, and political perspectives. The analysis draws on primary sources such as the EU and Russia’s legislation, ... ..., bezo-pasnosti i pravosudija [The problem of confidence in Russia and the EU in the framework of a common space of freedom, security and justice]. In: Potyomkina, О. Yu., Kaveshnikov, N. Yu., Kondrateva, N. B. (eds.), Evropejskij Sojuz v XXI veke: vremja ...
Russia’s energy geostrategy in the Baltic Sea region
... HSBC_Trade%20Forecast_Russia_Feb2012_en. pdf (accessed 16 January 2013).
14. Van der Meulen, E. F. 2009, Gas supply and EU-Russia relations, Europe- Asia Studies, vol. 61, iss. 5, p. 851—853.
15. McGovan, F. 2012, Can European Union’s Market Liberalism Ensure Energy Security in a Time of «Economic Nationalism»? Journal of Contemporary European Research, Vol. 4, no. 2, p. 100—102. 16. Zeleneva, I. V. 2010, Geostrategiya Rossii v sfere energeticheskoy politiki [Russian Geostrategy in the Energy Sphere], Kaspiyskiy region: politika, ekonomika,...
Russia-EU energy efficiency cooperation in the Baltic region: the untapped potential
....ru/co-operation/russia_eu/road_map/ (accessed 23.12. 2013).
20. Dorozhnaja karta po obshhemu jekonomicheskomu prostranstvu [Roadmap for the Common Economic Space], 2005, Moscow, 10.05.2005, available at: http://www.mid.ru/ns-dos.nsf/162979df2beb9880432569e70041fd1e/042000c0cd9e8002c3256ffe002ae3a8?... ... the EU-Russian Energy Dialogue, Europe-Asia Studies, Vol. 65, no. 6, p. 1021—1054.
23. Monaghan, A. 2007, Russia and the Security of Europe’s Energy Supplies: Security in Diversity? Swindon, Conflict Studies Research Centre.
24. Romanova, T., ...
Civil protection in the EU and its effect on the safety of the Baltic region
....eu/tasks-2 (accessed 11 March 2013).
9. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions concerning the European Union Strategy in the Baltic Sea Region,... ... establishing the European Community, 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series C, no. 306, December 17.
11. Internal Security Strategy for the European Union. Towards a European model of security, 2012, September, available at: http://www. consilium....
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... efficient use of ocean biological resources as economic problems], Мoscow, Nauka.
12. Konovalov, A. 2010, Transportation Network in the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation. In: Zagorsky, A. V. (ed.), The Arctic: A Space of Cooperation and Common Security, Moscow, IMEMO RAN, p. 24—25.
13. Study on the economic effects for Maritime Spatial Planning, 2010, Report of Directorate-General for Maritime Affaires and Fisheries, April.
14. The role of maritime clusters to enhance the strength and development of maritime sectors, 2008, Overview of the applied ...
On some particular functions of the Palestinian national administration
... Klein M. Arafat and Abbas: Portraits of Leadership in a State Postponed. Oxford University Press, 2019.
9. Legrain J.-F. The Successions of Yasir Arafat // Journal of Palestine Studies. Vol. 28, № 4. 1999. Р. 5—20.
10. Luft G. The Palestinian Security Services: Between Police and Army. Washington Institute for Near East Policy, 1998.
11. Protocol on Economic Relations between the Government of the State of Israel and the P. L. O., representing the Palestinian people // Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs. URL:
The Baltic Sea region and increasing international tension
... g. No 560 «O prime-nenii otdel’nyh special’nyh ekonomicheskih mer v celjah obespechenija bezopas-nosti Rossijskoj Federacii» [Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of 06.08.2014. № 560 "On the application of certain special economic measures in or-der to ensure the security of the Russian Federation"], 2014, Kremlin.ru. available at: http://www.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/46404 (accessed 21.01.2016).
16. Baltic Leaders Balk At Anti-IS Coalition With Russia, 2015, Vaelisminis-teerium, available at: ...
Economic Development of the Baltic and Nordic Countries: Characteristics of Еconomic Models
... historical progress of countries and in forecasting their future economic prospects. The Nordic countries are connected with the Baltics through culture, history, politics, and economy. These states have a common interest of ensuring stability, security, and welfare in the Baltic region. This article strives to answer the question as to why the Nordic model of economic development is acclaimed internationally for the effective use of national and external resources, which is not the case in the Baltics. The Nordic and Baltic national models demonstrate that similar financial and economic performance does not ...
The Role of Public Companies in Creating a Platform for Economic Growth in Saint Petersburg
... public companies to changes in the economy and their ability to stay efficient and preserve investment potential in volatile economic conditions. The measures taken by the companies are considered as inert and inefficient. The authors surveyed managers ... ... Russian non-public companies, who confirmed the hypothesis that businesses are interested in investing in the earning assets (securities) of other companies to receive interest (dividends). The respondents tend to associate the risk of such investments ...
Gas infrastructure development in the countries of East Baltic as a way to increase energy security
In the context of regional gas infrastructure development this paper considers the issue of energy security of the countries of East Baltic, which depend heavily on a single energy supplier — Russia. In recent years, the countries ... ... Grigoriev, L. M. 2005, Konkurencija i sotrudnichestvo: jekonomicheskie perspektivy Vostochnoj Baltiki [Competition and Cooperation: Economic Perspectives Eastern Baltic], Moscow, Izdatel'stvo «Evropa», 68 p.
2. Grigas, A. 2012, The Gas Relationship between ...
Electric energy cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of Russia in it
... [Conference materials EURELECTRIC-CIS EPC «Integration of energy systems and markets in the EU and the CIS — a way to increase security of supply»], 31 October, 2012, Brussels, p. 7, available at: http://www. fstrf. ru/about/activity/inter/meropr/15/Igory_Artemyev_Final_RUS_30.... ... Baltijskoj AJeS [Polish power system can connect to the Baltic NPP], 2012, RBC. 22 November, available at:http://top. rbc. ru/economics/22/11/2012/826393.shtml (accessed 2 April 2013).
37. Elektrojenergija s BaltAJeS budet jeksportirovat'sja v Litvu ...
First results of the import substitution policy in the Kaliningrad region
... objectives of this research include the analysis of the development of agriculture in the exclave region, the evaluation of the food security level, the assessment of import substitution and its influence on the development of agriculture. The subject of this ... ... Импортозамещение в России с 2017 до 2020 года // Портал banki-v.ru. 3 июля 2017. URL:
(дата обращения: 14.11.2017).
6. Калининградская область ...
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
... London, p. 14—39.
19. Sahin-Mencutek, Z. 2012, Immigration Control in Transit States: The Case of Turkey, European Journal of Economic and Political Studies, vol. 5, no. 1, p. 137—163.
20. Triandafyllidou, A., Maroukis, T. 2012, Migrant Smuggling. In: ... ... and Globalization, Cheltenham, UK.
26. Homer-Dixon, T. F. 1994, Environment Scarcities and Violenсе Conflict, International Security, vol. 19, no. 1, Summer, 1994, The MIT Press, p. 5—40. doi:
27. Cohen, J. H. 2020,...
The prospects of nuclear power development in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea region as a factor of the formation of international relations system in the region
... Sbornik tezisov dokladov VIII Mezhdunarodnoj molodezhnoj nauchnoj konferencii «Poljarnoe sijanie 2005 «Jadernoe budushhee: bezopasnost', jekonomika i pravo» [Abstracts of the VIII International Youth Conference «Polar Lights 2005» Nuclear Future: Security, Economics and Law»], St. Petersburg, available at: http://www. polar. mephi.ru/ru/conf/2005/1_ekonomika/1_tarasov. html (accessed 17 December 2012).
9. Smirnova, M. 2013, Ilves: because of the Visaginsky nuclear power plant we lost seven years in development ...
Communication of Covid-19 consequences in the Baltic States inforsphere
... Sivobrova, I. A., Nikolaev, A. V. 2014, Risk Factors Assessment Model in the Regional Operational Management System, GISAP: Economics, Jurisprudence and Management, no. 7. doi:
4. Hanski, J., Keränen,... ....24411/2072-9316-2018-00013
8. Česnakas, G., Jakštaitė, G., Juozaitis, J. 2016, Assessment of political vulnerabilities on security of energy supply in the Baltic States, Baltic Journal of Law & Politics, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 153—182.
Exclavity as a challenge and a resource for foreign positioning of the Kaliningrad region
... relations with other regions of the Russian Federation could make up for the situation. In practice, such intensification is limited in nature, and results in some cooperation benefits in the short and medium term. While the Kaliningrad region is secured geopolitically by the military superiority of the Russian state over a potential adversary in the Baltic, there are no comparable social and economic guarantees Here, paradoxically, the situation can open up opportunities for increasing the coherence of the narrow, purely peripheral interests of the Russian exclave and the regions of neighboring countries, primarily Lithuania and Poland....
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... fixed assets. It is shown that the federal border region policy is largely a reflection of the features and problems of Russia’s regional policy as a whole. Currently, the development of cross-border cooperation is affected more strongly by national security concerns than by economic growth considerations. Cross-border cooperation is no longer part of the regional policy. Border regions, however, have received an increasing proportion of federal investments in recent years, particularly, amid the reunification with the Crimea....
Human Development Index as a Tool to Assess Social Development in the Baltic States
... D. 1994, Policy uses of HDI: Goals and strategies, SIDA Planeringssekretariatet.
14. Fujita, M., Krugman, P. 2004, The New economic geography: Past, present and the future, Papers in Regional Science, Vol. 83, p. 139—164
15. Grimm, M., Harttge, K.... ....org/sites/default/files/reports/261/hdr_2000_en.pdf
23. Human Development Report 2005. International cooperation at a crossroads: Aid, trade and security in an unequal world, 2005, available at:
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
... ekisticheskie effekty [Transboundary cluster formation in the coastal zones of the European part of Russia: factors, models, economic and telecommunication effects], Rostov-on-Don, 421 p. (in Russ.)
2. Fedorov, G. M., Korneevets, V. S. 2015, Socioeconomic ... ... Oblast, Regional Research of Russia, Vol. 7, no. 4, p. 352—362.
4. Strategiya natsional'noi bezopasnosti Rossii [The National Security Strategy of Russia], 2015, Moscow, available at:
Authority/president (accessed ...
Major infrastructure projects and the foreign policy of the Baltic states in 2010—2014
... Sbornik tezisov dokladov VIII Mezhdunarodnoj molodezhnoj nauchnoj konferencii Poljarnoe sijanie 2005. Jadernoe budushhee:
bezopasnost', jekonomika i pravo [Abstracts of the VIII International Youth Scientific Conference aurora 2005. Nuclear Future: Security, Economics and Law], available at: http://www.polar.mephi.ru/ru/conf/2005/1_ekonomika/1_tarasov.html (accessed 11.09.2013).
11. Mahnitko, А. Е., Varfolomeeva, R. V. 2012, Razvitie jenergeticheskogo kompleksa stran Baltii [Development of energy complex ...
The Baltics on Their Way towards a Circular Economy
22. Hislop, H., Hill, J. 2011, Reinventing the Wheel: A Circular Economy for Resource Security, Green Alliance, available at:
(accessed 19.12.2016).... ... challenge of better compliance, Directions in European Environmental Policy (IEEP), no. 5, p. 62.
26. Kenneth, B. 1966, The economics of the Coming Spaceship Earth. In Jarrett Henry: Environmental Quality in a growing economy, Johns Hopkins Press, p....